Ronaldo. Messi. Zlatan. Bale?

Your opinion is seriously flawed, since you pointedly ignore the fact he was playing in a totally different system, he became a star in a totally different system which suited him under Riikjaard (sp) and was easily one of the best in the world then.

You also ignore the fact that Argentina were not trying to fit a system around just him, but also with as many of their forward stars as possible, thats actually what made it unbalanced. Their current system isn't actually built around him either, you could shift him wide, or bench him and they could still play it very well.

Messi suits a number of systems, as he has already proven throughout his career.

Well as this is a game of opinions i respectfully disagree.

My opinion is that he suits this current Barca system, even Argentina has had to change their system to try get the best out of him. Says it all for me.

But... what? So? Nobody is disagreeing he's at his best in this current Barca system, for christ's sakes! All I'm saying is that he's almost as effective in other systems, which your original point disputed. Stop chopping and changing.

But... what? So? Nobody is disagreeing he's at his best in this current Barca system, for christ's sakes! All I'm saying is that he's almost as effective in other systems, which your original point disputed. Stop chopping and changing.

And my point from the start was that for me Ronaldo adapts to different systems much better than Messi, that is my opinion yet its been pulled apart as if its conclusively false! God help me for having a different opinion, i apologise.

And my point from the start was that for me Ronaldo adapts to different systems much better than Messi, that is my opinion yet its been pulled apart as if its conclusively false! God help me for having a different opinion, i apologise.

Because it is conclusively false, as Messi adapted to the varying systems at Barca perfectly, in fact not only did he adapt perfectly moving from the flank to the middle, he got even better, went from one of the best in the world, to one of the best of all time.

Messi has played a number of systems, Fact. Messi has also been brilliant in a number of systems. Fact.

Both players adapt extremely well. Left, right, in the hole, up top. They are brilliant no matter where you put them.

Just another little thing, Messi has played out wide on both sides, as a lone forward and in the hole behind a striker. He was one of if not the best playing in all of them.
Ronaldo plays out wide left and has done for 99% of the games he's played, might play a more central role for Portugal at times but even then he's usually sitting further out wide where he can run at fullbacks or hit the channels.

Yet you say Messi can't adapt..

Messi hasn't proven himself to be as adaptable as Ronaldo though, in terms of the leagues and styles of football in which he has played and faced. It's easy to say that Messi would tear up the premier league, or Bale would tear up La Liga, but until that happens, it's not conclusive to say as such.

Imo, Messi is the better player but there isn't much in it, and Ronaldo is more rounded and physically impressive which helped him when playing in England. Bale is some way off but one of the closest of their 'type' in the World at the moment.

Meh that's an argument that's always pretty hard to back up.
Obviously Ronaldo is the better athlete between the two, he's stronger, faster and taller. Which obviously plays into his hands in a more physical league, but it's not like smaller players don't do well in the premier league.
The difference between the two styles of play isn't that hugely different, sure La Liga doesn't have Stoke but people act like everyone is wrapped in cotton wool and no one touches anyone.

Messi probably would tear up the prem, he wouldn't score as often as he does but he'd still easily score goals and go past players just like how he does now.
Bale isn't anywhere near either of them though, he had a poor game today which he usually does against most top teams. Sure he scored but any half decent striker with a hint of pace would have scored that goal.

Bale isn't in the top 4 players in the world.. Not even in the top 4 players in the Premier League. RVP, Suarez, Rooney and Mata are all better, imo (just to name four of many). No doubting Bale is a quality player and is definitely on ret hot form these past couple of months but he isn't good enough to be compared to Ronaldo, and certainly not Messi.

Last edited:
Messi hasn't proven himself to be as adaptable as Ronaldo though, in terms of the leagues and styles of football in which he has played and faced. It's easy to say that Messi would tear up the premier league, or Bale would tear up La Liga, but until that happens, it's not conclusive to say as such.

Imo, Messi is the better player but there isn't much in it, and Ronaldo is more rounded and physically impressive which helped him when playing in England. Bale is some way off but one of the closest of their 'type' in the World at the moment.

And that is all i am saying!

That's a pretty weak argument though. People don't say Pele isn't the best ever purely because he only played for Santos (and NYC, but that's hardly a challenge).

Messi has been tearing the Champions League apart for years.. And that is the toughest competition in the world. I agree he gets an easy ride in 75% of his league games but his performance doesn't change, he consistently destroys teams, sometimes single-handedly regardless of who they are.

Messi is a one of a kind. Ronaldo is of a similar mould to a few players, Bale is probably one of them (although they are on different levels), but Messi is in a league of his own.. Probably the best player we have ever/ will ever see.

And that is all i am saying!

Also its a bit weak, CL is a different style to La Liga is a different style to International, and he's excelled at all 3.

Also in terms of people moving form La Liga to Prem; Aguero, Silva, Mata, Cazorla say. And not only is he of a similar stature, he is also much better. All the evidence points to him tearing the Premiership apart.

Bale isn't in the top 4 players in the world.. Not even in the top 4 players in the Premier League. RVP, Suarez, Rooney and Mata are all better, imo (just to name four of many). No doubting Bale is a quality player and is definitely on ret hot form these past couple of months but he isn't good enough to be compared to Ronaldo, and certainly not Messi.

This.

And I love how a thread about including Bale in an exclusive list of top players somehow turns into the usual "Waaa, Ronaldo or Messi who's better?" thing which is better left for arguments on youtube skill compilations.

I was just pointing out what I think CJacko was trying to say, but I agree that Messi would destroy teams in any league. You just can't be sure though until it is proven. That said, I still can't put him on the level of Pele or Maradona for that matter, as he hasn't carried his nation to international glory...yet.

Messi still needs to do what Maradona did in his day (and against much, much better defenders), to be considered his equal imo.

I was just pointing out what I think CJacko was trying to say, but I agree that Messi would destroy teams in any league. You just can't be sure though until it is proven. That said, I still can't put him on the level of Pele or Maradona for that matter, as he hasn't carried his nation to international glory...yet.

Messi still needs to do what Maradona did in his day (and against much, much better defenders), to be considered his equal imo.

Drugs and get fat? :O
I jks, I do agree that's he's not on that level yet. Mostly because he's only fairly recently been been putting in performances with Argentina, I don't see him being able to carry them to a major title with the depth of quality teams have now though.

Drugs and get fat? :O
I jks, I do agree that's he's not on that level yet. Mostly because he's only fairly recently been been putting in performances with Argentina, I don't see him being able to carry them to a major title with the depth of quality teams have now though.

I think he can, if he can continue with his ever-improving form at international level. He basically carried them to victory against an emerging Brazil side last year, and there is no reason to think that he can't do it again against the european teams. I do fear that he may suffer burn out though, with the amount of games that he himself insists on playing.

It's a bit of a myth that Maradona 'carried' his team. He had some brilliant players around him; Oscar Ruggeri, Ricardo Bochini (Maradona's idol), Daniel Passarella, Jorge Burruchaga, Jose Cuciuffo (RIP) and solid types like Ricardo Giusti and Julio Olarticoechea. Unsurprisingly, the team that won the World Cup was the best team in the world. Yes, Maradona made the difference, but he was given a great platform by a talented team.

The same can't be said of Argentina now. Their defence, in particular, is atrocious, no matter their attacking talent.

I think he can, if he can continue with his ever-improving form at international level. He basically carried them to victory against an emerging Brazil side last year, and there is no reason to think that he can't do it again against the european teams. I do fear that he may suffer burn out though, with the amount of games that he himself insists on playing.

I doubt it, he might but I really do doubt it.
Like GC said the team that Maradona was in was really rather good and it was that team that allowed him to play the way he did. Messi doesn't have that, once you go past their front three and parts of midfield the team really does fail to impress.

Take the last world cup, they were going into it with a very strong team going forward and a lot of people thought they'd be in with half a chance. They came up against a very well organized Germany though and got completely torn apart at the back and couldn't get anything going.

It's a bit of a myth that Maradona 'carried' his team. He had some brilliant players around him; Oscar Ruggeri, Ricardo Bochini (Maradona's idol), Daniel Passarella, Jorge Burruchaga, Jose Cuciuffo (RIP) and solid types like Ricardo Giusti and Julio Olarticoechea. Unsurprisingly, the team that won the World Cup was the best team in the world. Yes, Maradona made the difference, but he was given a great platform by a talented team.

The same can't be said of Argentina now. Their defence, in particular, is atrocious, no matter their attacking talent.

They had some great defenders but it wasn't a great team. Bochini was a fantastic player but at that time he rarely played, only playing a handful of minutes in the '86 World Cup, and Burruchaga was more than decent but not one of the great players at that time. I won't argue that the likes of Passarella and Ruggeri were exceptional but at the time defenders were generally a lot better than today at defending. It's always difficult to compare eras but I don't see a massive difference between the feat of Maradona and that which Messi would have to perform today.

It'd be nice to see how messi would fair playing against defenders such as terry , luiz, shawcross , huth, heitinga, Kaboul , vidic and many more every week in MY opinion ronaldo should be number 1 because he's done it on every stage and in a much tougher league messi wouldn't know what hit him if he came to the premier league , just my opinion