Roving Up The Premier League - Taking Blackburn Back To 1995

khodder

Reaction score
blackburn-rovers-crest_633643403460312500.jpg

ALLARDYCE FIRED, ROVERS HIRE ROOKIE

In a shock turn of events this morning, Blackburn Rovers fired their manager Sam Allardyce, and turn the team over into the hands of rookie manager Kent Hodder. The move has been questioned by everyone that holds the club dear, and hope the club does not fall into the realms of relegation under the reign of Hodder. The new boss has scheduled a Press Conference for tomorrow at Ewood Park.

HODDER TALKS BIG GAME

In what turns out to be his first official act as the new boss of Blackburn Rovers new Boss Kent Hodder has talked up a storm, referring to the job at Ewood Park as his dream job he said his aims were to get the club back to the heights that they achieved during the Premier League season of 1995. It will take a monumental effort for Hodder to get the club back to the top of the League and he did admit that it would be a tumultuous path but his ultimate goal is to get Rovers back to the top of the EPL.

BLACKBURN ROVERS

Manager - Kent Hodder
Home Ground - Ewood Park

Blackburn--Ewood-Park-General_1057773.jpg

Capacity - 31367, All Seated
Captain - Ryan Nelson
Tactics - 4-3-2-1 Triangle

BlackburnTactics.jpg

Key Player - Christopher Samba

ChrisSamba.jpg

Hot Prospect - Michael Potts

Transfers

BlackburnTransfers09-10.jpg

TRANSFERS IN

With a small budget of just 550k transfers were going to be few and far between. With the tactics I employ the Central Midfield is an absolute key. I bought in two midfielders Capi is a veteran midfielder who has been there and done that in La Liga. A cheap buy for a player of his quality. He has the ability to play in any of the 5 central midfield spots I employ.

James Rodriguez is a young up and coming star. At just 18 years of age he has already played international football and is a creative player who will probably force his way into the Blackburn team from game 1.

TRANSFERS OUT

Two players said goodbye to their stay at Ewood park. The sales had nothing to do with ability, but more to do with the fact they did not fit at all within the tactics that I want to employ. Diouf was sold for 2 Million Pound to Barcalona where I can only assume he will play for the second team and maybe get a few splinters from the bench. The sale of Gamst Pederson is one that was very tough to do, especially to a fellow EPL team, but the money was needed and he did not fit within the system, 6.25 Million Pound was enough for West Ham to convince me to sell him. We wish both players all the best in their future endeavors.

Preseason and 1st Month or two to come when it is not 1AM here in New Zealand...Enjoy.

Good luck - hope you do well. Will be following a fellow Blackburn Story.

PRESEASON

With and eye top preparing his side for a long EPL campaign new manager Hodder had his side Blackburn only play 6 games, preferring the team gel in training and begin to play the way he wanted the side to play. Three games against Belgian competition followed by three at lower league English sides Rovers were expected to fly through the preseason. Key injuries to David Dunn and Ryan Nelson were going to force a few youngsters into the first XI in the preseason and they did not disappoint. The standout was Michael Potts, he should get himself a fair share of EPL football this season at just 17 years of age.

A rusty first up performance was expected, but the team was still able to scrape out with a 2-1 win over AA Gent thanks to an 87th minute penalty slotted home by Jason Roberts.

Not long after the win the team were on the bus, and off the Leigh to play the local side, a big win was expected. After 20 minutes normal service was out the window, 6 of the best and a 17 minute hattrick from Nikola Kalinic had Rovers up 6-0 with less than a quarter of the game gone. Things calmed down after that, and the final score of 9-0 was one that the new gaffer had to be happy with.

After the game he was noted as saying he was particularly impressed with Kalinic and Potts, both of whom put in top notch efforts and both are looking like they could be on the first team sheet of the year.

Next up was Belgian first division side Cercle Brugge, a tough fixture after the travel and two days rest. And it showed a very slow start by Rovers had the hosts up 1-0 after 15 minutes. The goal seemed to give Rovers the kick they needed. Gael Givet netted the equaliser in the 20th minute with a calm finish after a corner to the near post, and just 14 minutes later Rovers took the lead they would never lose when new boy Capi side footed home after a long play of buildup. Kalinic capped the game off with a goal in the 60th minute. A very good performance from Rovers in this one.

Back to England and the boys were looking a little worse for wear, but with 3 games to go in 6 days they were going to have to dig deep and work hard before a 2 week break before their first EPL fixture...League 1 Brentford was first up and the result stunned everyone, the hosts were able to come away with a 2-1 win stunning Rovers and their faithful and promoting some to call for the head of new manager despite it still being the preseason. It was a bad start with youngster Potts being sent off in the 24th minute for a 2nd yellow, and turned worse as Brentford took the lead in the 27th minute. Charlie McDonald gave Brentford a 2-0 lead in the 66th minute before Di Santo was able to score a consolation goal in the 71st minute...Manager Hodder faced the lions in the post match press conference, but came out OK, He was disappointed with the result, but the numbers showed a different game, the had more shots, and more shots on target than their opposition, and they battled well with 10 men. At this stage of the season the result does not matter.

The final games against Morecambe and Oxford took on more meaning after the loss and the side came out well winning 5-2 and 3-0 respectively. Hodder said he felt his side were well prepared for their season opening fixture, an away trip to Goodison Park, in a little over two weeks. The team will keep fit in training, we will develop our gameplan and come out fighting.

BlackburnPreseason09-10.jpg

Cannot believe it was back in 1995 that rovers won the premier league.....WOW, i remember it as if it was yesterday, how times have changed and flown by!

Good luck with the story by the way....i'll be following ya!

I do not know if this will help you, but I signed Magne Hoseth and he was my best signing throughout my career, according to the Blackburn board.

AUGUST

With the start of August comes the start of the premier league season. The new boss was eagerly anticipating his first game in charge of his new club. 5 games were on the slate this month, four league games and one in the League cup, they were;

@ Everton
@ Stoke
vs Portsmouth
vs Oldham
vs Fulham

A reasonably soft start to the schedule, Everton were easily the most difficult test, but Stoke away and Fulham are going to be no pushovers.

First game off the cab was Everton away, and the result was not what the new boss wanted. A 4-2 loss, even to a good team was not great, however the number of chances the team created was encouraging and showed good promise for the future. Nikola Kalinic scored both goals for Rovers a great start to the season for the young Croat.

MOM - Nikola Kalinic, 8.8, 2 goals.

Next up was another away fixture at Stoke. Always a tough fixture, Stoke fight tooth and nail to the finish and always defender with vigour. But a goal from Kalinic in the 38th minute forced Stoke to rethink their plans and push forward to try and find an equaliser. They were given a great chance when in the 54th minute, Stephen N'Zonzi was sent from the field for a second yellow card and Blackburn were down to 10 men. Stoke pushed forward, but were caught out in the 71st minute via substitute striker Franco di Santo and were out of the game. Hodder had his first win, and a good one at that, 2-0 away to Stoke.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 8.2

The first home game of the season is always big and Ewood Park was rocking off the back of a 2-0 win over Stoke and the visit of Portsmouth. The game got off to a perfect start when big man Christopher Samba rose at the back post and powerfully headed home from a corner to give Rovers the lead in the 10th minute. They continued to dominate possession and the chances, but it was not until the 43rd minute that Rovers were able to double their advantage. Younger Attacking Midfielder James Rodriguez opened his Rovers account. In the 2nd half Rovers pulled back a bit, holding possession looking to control the game, and that they did. Finally in the 2nd minute of added time Yildiray Basturk was able to volley home from 12 yards to seal a big 3-0 win for Rovers.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 9.0, 1 goal.

Oldham in the League Cup was a good draw for Rovers and a good chance to blood some younger players, only a handful of regulars started the game, with a smattering of others on the bench. Manager Hodder must have been questioning his choice as on 7 minutes a goal mouth scramble gave Oldham the lead. Rovers were stunned, but quickly settled into their work and effectively put the game away with a 13 minute hattrick from Franco di Santo. Rovers were forced to worry again when just after the half Oldham pegged one back. Hodder inserted a few older heads and Rovers began to dominate the game completely. A 54th minute strike from Capi and a 68th minute Header from Givet sealed a 5-2 win fro Rovers and a berth in the 3rd Round of the league cup where they will travel to Doncaster.

MOM - Franco di Santo, 9.5, 3 goals.

The final fixture of the month saw Rovers host Fulham. The battler was dominated early by Rovers and two first half goals from James Rodriguez and Gael Givet gave them plenty of breathing space. In the 2nd half Fulham made a push, but were never able to create any great chances. A 2-0 win for Rovers saw them extend their streak to 3 straight EPL wins.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 7.9

BBAugResu.jpg

Player of the Month - Christopher Samba, 7.88 Rating in League games with 1 goals. A Rock at the back. 3 MOM awards.

BBAugTab.jpg

After one month in what is a huge surprise Blackburn Rovers sit atop the EPL. 9 points from 4 games is a nice haul and the Manager will want to continue the rich run of form they have found of late.

September brings a tougher test, after the international break they will face West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester City in the League. As well as Doncaster in the League Cup 3rd round.

SEPTEMBER

After the fast start to the season in August Rovers have taken a tumble back down the table with a tough month in September in which they could only muster one win and two losses from their three league games.

West Ham were first up on their schedule and is was a very tight affair but an early goal from Capi the newly signed Spanish midfielder was all that Rovers needed to secure a hard fought 1-0 victory.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 7.6

After the win over West Ham Rovers traveled to London and White Hart Lane with confidence and four straight league wins. They could not have asked for a better start either with Christopher Samba popping up at the far post to head home for an early 1-0 lead. But from that point on it was all Tottenham. Spurs dominated the possession and they dominated the chances and goals either side of half time from Lennon and Defore ensured that Spurs would not drop a point.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 9.0, 1 goal

After a tough loss the League Cup 3rd round could not have come at a better time. Pitting themselves against an inferior Doncaster team a win was expected of the Rovers players from the gaffer. They delivered, but it was not without a struggle. It took until the 36th minute for Samba to open the scoring for Rovers and the 1-0 scoreline at HalfTime left the door wide open for Doncaster. They took their chance with just 40 seconds gone in the 2nd half and Rovers were rattled. scoreline at 1-1 with just 15 minute left Manager Hodder pulled David Dunn off the bench and what an impact first setting up Chimbonda for a goal then scoring one for himself to settle the game and a 3-1 win for Blackburn.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 9.0, 1 goal

To end the month Rovers hosted Manchester City. After the big spending spree City were going to be formidable opposition and a slow start to the game for Rovers essentially gave City all they needed. Some slack early marking and defensive work allowed Tevez and Adebayor to both slot him within 15 minutes for a 2-0 lead. A 20th minute strike from Steven N'Zonzi gave Rovers a hope, but in an evenly contested game the good finishing of City and the poor defensive work of Rovers was the difference. Bridge rounded out the game with a late goal stinging Rovers in the 69th minute, ending the game in a 3-1 loss for Rovers.

MOM - Carlos Tevez, 8.3 1 goal
Rovers Best - Steven N'Zonzi, 7.4, 1 goal

BBSepResu.jpg

Player of the Month - He has a 7.84 overall rating in League games and has scored two goals to go with 5 MOM awards. He also showed good form against Doncaster.

With this blip in form, Rovers have slipped to 7th on the table with 12 points from 7 games.
BBSepTab.jpg

Rover now push forward into October beginning with Aston Villa, but getting easier from that point. However of major concern for Hodder will be the injuries piling up. At the end of September six 1st team players including Kalinic, Dunn and Rodriguez were on the list. Hodder will be hoping that Rovers can continue to accumulate points even with the long injury list.

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:24 PM ----------

OCTOBER

Inconsistent is the only possible way to describe the moth of October for Rovers. Two wins and three losses in 5 games, and only 1 win from 4 in the league. But on the plus side the team are into the Quarter Finals of the League Cup

It started with a trip to Villa Park, but the Blackburn team may as well have never even shown up, they were played off the park, toyed with by the Villa players and routed 4 goals to 1, and could have been even more if not for a couple of great saves from Paul Robinson.

MOM - Gabby Agbonlahor, 8.4, 1 goal
Rovers Best - Jason Roberts, 8.1 1 goal

Hot from the disappointment of Villa park it was back to Ewood where Sunderland awaited. The boss wanted 3 points and that is what the team got. A game they domianted, and went ahead from the head of Samba, and then doubled the lead in nearly identical fashion. A late strike from Lee Cattermole flattered the Black Cats on the scoreboard, 2-1 Rovers.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 9.2, 2 goals

With back to back home games Rovers were looking to start a nice run of form, and it was Bolton who stood in their way. Rovers started the match quickly, and dominated the entire first half of the match, but poor finishing cost the team dearly in the end. Going into the break at 0-0 the game turned on its head after 15 minutes in the 2nd half. Two goals in the space of 5 minutes from Bolton and Rovers were gone. A late Consolation goal from Jason Roberts was all Blackburn could muster. It was also the only shot they put on target all game.

MOM - Peter Whittingham, 7.7, 1 goal
Rovers Best - Jason Roberts 7.1, 1 goal/Christopher Samba 7.1

Reading in the league cup was the next fixture and eager to progress in the competition Rovers came out firing. Resting many 1st team players the team was able to come away with a convincing 3-0 win and a brace from Jason Roberts. With Basturk providing the third.

MOM - Jason Roberts, 8.9, 2 goals

The final match of the month was against EPL strugglers Hull, despite being an away fixture Rovers were keen on taking all three points. However they never looked likely and the game was essentially over after 20 minutes, Two goals from Amr Zaki and a Red Card for Brett Emerton saw Rovers down 2 goals and a player. A third from Zaki completed the 3-0 rout and a very disappointing day for Rovers.

MOM - Amr Zaki, 9.5, 3 goals.
Rovers Best - Christopher Samba, 7.0

BBOctResu.jpg

Player of the Month - Jason Roberts, coming mainly off the bench Roberts slotted 4 goals this month and may have earned himself the right to start some games in the not to distant future.

BBOctTab.jpg

Not at all where Hodder would have wanted to be at this stage, sitting in the middle of the table with games against Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United looming in the not to distant future. Some training tweaks have been made, Coaches signed and given talks to hopefully create a better atmosphere in training, less injuries and more balls in the back of the net...
TRANSFER NEWS

In the Transfer Market Hodder has inked a Brazilian wonderkid, whether he will still be around to see him sign for Blackburn is another story. Almir is a fullback and shows great promise. However at just 15 years of age he will not join the club until the 1st of January 2012. Rovers were also able to ink the signature of Manchester United youngster Rodrigo Possebon. He looks to have a big future and can provide immediate cover for 4 of the 5 midfield spots.

Almir.jpg

Possebon.jpg

Not bad for Blackburn, They normally get relegated on my games. I like Blackburn i think theyve got some good players but i was suprised to see Gamst Pederson leave Ewood, Good money though, I would buy a winger to replace Pederson, Everyone needs a winger so Eduardo Salvio(£4m) ? AMR,ST so he could fit right in to your formation as the AMRC i rekon. I think Marco Verratti (£700k)would be a special buy as well.
Good luck, Ill be following this one

Thanks, thought about Verratti, but have had him on every game I play, so decided with something different.

I have also noticed it is my away games that I seem to struggle with, so I am working a few tweaks into the tactics to create a home and away tactic.

For buying players I have the two youngsters coming in for about a combined 4 Million Pound, and then a couple of other youngsters with potential coming in for real cheap. Might have another update up earlt in the Morning UK time.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

NOVEMBER

November was a very quiet month for Rovers with just three games on the schedule, but it was three important games...A trip to Anfield, hosting Chelsea and a rivalry game with Burnley.

The trip to Anfield was always going to be a very tough test, and it proved too much for Rovers, A new counter attacking tactic was tried and it had the desired success, it limited the number of good chances for the Merseysiders, but shooting and finishing was the difference. A 3-0 for Liverpool at home a Brace for Torres.

MOM - Fernando Torres, 9.0, 2 goals
Rovers Best - Franco di Santo/Steven N'Zonzi, 6.9

After a long two week international break the table topping Chelsea traveled to a packed Ewood park. Rovers fans were apprehensive and Hodder has said he hoped to keep the game close, but what transpired was brilliant. The counter attacking tactic came to the fore. Rovers were able to absorb large amounts of possession from the Londoners without conceeding many chances. After 24 minutes Keith Andrews the Captain due to the absence of Ryan Nelson gave his side the lead with a great strike from 25 yards into the top right hand corner. Into the second half Rovers continued to absorb pressure before a a break down the left resulted in 17 year old Michael Potts on the ball 35 yards from goal, after being told there was no pressure on him today he decided to pull the trigger and a thunderbolt from his right foot hit to underside of the crossbar and crossed the line to give Rovers a 2-0 lead over Chelsea. They pulled back deeper and played it safe for the final half hour and secured a famous result. A huge 2-0 win for Hodder to snap a losing streak for Rovers.

MOM - Keith Andrews, 7.7, 1 goal

The Youngster hits the ball from 35 yards
PottsStrike.jpg

The ball en route to the back of the net
BallinFlight.jpg

GOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!
GOAL.jpg

The final game of the month saw Rovers traveling to Burnley for a rivalry game, a game that the manager wanted to get 3 points from, a for long periods of the game Blackburn dominated and should have taken the lead in the 1st half and would have if not for Brian Jensen. It was left to Capi to hit a close range finish to give Rovers a lead after 48 minutes, and until the 87th minute it looked like Rovers would get all three points, but a long range Free Kick from Wade Elliott earned Burnley a point. 1-1 away, not a bad result at the Turf Moor, but the win was there for the taking. A new striker is quickly moving to the top of Blackburn's wish list.

MOM - Brian Jensen - 8.2
Rovers Best - Capi - 7.6, 1 goal

BBDecResu.jpg

4 points from the month is better than anticipated, even if they came from a different place.

BBDecTab.jpg

Rovers sit in the middle of the table, but after Arsenal and Man United early in December they have a string of winnable games. Points will be essential over the tough Christmas period.

Interesting story buddy! A good challenge for you. Good luck! (H)

Very interesting story i like the layout :p

Thanks should have an update up soonish...Including my League Cup Qtr Final vs Manchester City.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

DECEMBER

The time around Christmas is usually very busy for an EPL manager and it was no different for Hodder. Looking at some possible free transfer targets, people to offload in the next window and a player or two to add. But the first thing on his mind was the 8 matches, 7 of them in the league to worry about.

First up was Manchester City in the Laeague Cup 1/4 final. Again the new found counter tactics were a success, City were held to a goalless draw, and through extra time as both teams tired the quality of play dropped, both teams had chances to end it before the final whistle blew at 120 minutes, but failed to take them and so to penalties it went...

Blackburn were immediately on the back foot as youngster Jame Rodriguez missed his pen, and it looked like it would cost Rovers as Kompany stepped up to win the match. however he missed the goal and Rovers were still in it. City ended up taking the game in the end with Neslon missing his spot kick and Kolo Toure using all his experience to end the game.

MOM - Christopher Samba - 8.3

Just 3 days later another huge test, Arsenal. It was all hands on deck at the back for Rovers, and they ground out an impressive 0-0 draw with far superior opposition. A great point for Rovers to pick up at this stage of the season.

MOM - Gael Clichy - 7.6
Rovers Best - Martin Olssen - 7.5

A week later the last leg of their tough schedule a trip to Old Trafford. Again the counter attacking tactcis were used, but United proved to have the patience and skill to break down Rovers at the back. However Paul Robinson played out of his skin and diverted shot after shot wide. Park Ji-Sung eventually broke the tie open with a goal in the 31st minute. Blackburn never threatened to win the match mustering only two shots, Robinson continued his great game but it ended in a 1-0 loss.

MOM - Paul Robinson - 9.3

With the big teams in the rear view mirror Rovers looked forward to some wins under the belt. Wolves were first on their radar, the high flying team were sitting in 8th, but Rovers expected victory. And the way they dominated the game it should have come far easier than the 95th minute winner that eventually secured Rovers all 3 points. Poor finishing again almost cost Rovers points. A Striker will no doubt be on the target list from January.

MOM - Michael Kightly - 7.4
Rovers Best - Capi, 7.2, 1 goal

Birmingham up next and another expected three points for Rovers. Things were not looking good when Chucho gave the Blues the lead in the 16th minute, but from there on out it was all Rovers, they dominated the chances and a well deserved 3-1 win was their reward.

MOM - Chucho Benitez, 8.3, 1 goal
Rovers Best - Keith Andrews, 7.8

A trip to the JJB was up next and Rovers were looking good and hoping for another 3 points. They dominated the scoreless first half and were hot on attack when Wigan scored against the run of play with a well taken goal from Hugo Rodallega. Determined to get at least a point out of the game Rovers continued to push forward and were finally rewarded in the 81st minute through Jason Roberts. A 1-1 draw the finish, better than a loss.

MOM - Michael Potts, 8.1

After three games unbeaten and 7 points from a possible 9, Stoke arrived in town for the Fan day and a packed house was eager to watch Rovers pick up another 3 points. However it was not to come to fruition. Stokes Danish shot stopper Thomas Sorenson was in top form, turning shot after shot away from goal. Ricardo Fuller had given Stoke the lead in the 16th minute and Jason Roberts equalised in the 28th and as time wore on a 1-1 draw was looking likely despite Rover pushing hard for the winner. Then the goal came, a turnover of the ball and a quick break from Stoke ended up with Liam Lawrence netting the winner for the visitors, A poor result from a game they dominated, Rovers will feel they dropped points here.

MOM - Thomas Sorenson, 9.3
Rovers Best - James Rodriguez, 7.4

The final game of the month was a trip to Fratton Park. Still stinging from the loss to Stoke Rovers wanted to come out and pickup all three points. They pushed early, and in a relatively even first half it was Capi that gave Rovers the lead in the 40th minute. A delightful 30 yard pass from Marc Wilson led to the Pompey equaliser in the 47th minute from the boot of Belhadji. From that point Rovers dominated. Substitue Nikola Kalinic scored twice in the 60th and 69th minutes, and never looked like conceeding until they pulled pack and tried to waste time. Frederic Piquionne scored in the 87th to ensure a nervy finish. Rovers were able to hold on and a well deserved 3-2 away win was their prize.

BBNovResu.jpg

BBNovTab.jpg

Rovers sit mid table. A nice place to be. Just a few points out of a European position. Some better finishing at the attacking end and Rovers could find themselves finishing around the higher caliber of opposition come May. Rodrigo Possebon is due to join the side on the first of January. Hopefully he can provide some attacking spark. Two target for Hodder in the transfer window, if the funds can be raised are Pipo Inzaghi and Fluminese's Fred. Inzaghi is a veteran and the only concern would be his wage demands. Fred would be an ideal striker to add to the team, but a transfer fee could provide a stumbling block.

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

January

A usually tough month of January has proven a great month for the Rovers. 6 games, 4 in the league and 4 wins.

The first game of the New Year was a home match against Hull in the 3rd round of the FA cup. Blackburn were the better side for nearly the entire game, but neither side were able to break the deadlock, a 0-0 draw the final result. A replay was scheduled

MOM - Stephen Hunt, 7.6
Rovers Best, Pascal Chimbonda/Christopher Samba, 7.2

Next up was a tough league fixture against Everton. A bit of revenge was on the mind of the Rovers players and they got exactly what they deserved from this game, a great defensive effort held Everton to 4 shots all game, 2 of them from distance and a 66th minute goal from Keith Andrews gave Rovers a hard fought 1-0 victory.

MOM - Leighton Baines, 8.2
Rovers Best - Keith Andrews, 7.6, 1 goal/Vince Grella, 7.6

3 days later it was the FA cup replay. Rovers were in a good mood after the Everton victory and were expecting a win, but at Half Time they found themselves down two nil. A couple of changes and big team talk had Rovers playing much better in the 2nd half, but still unable to find the breakthrough. That was until the introduction of Nikola Kalinic, goals in the 88th and 89th minutes tied the game up and we were into extra time. Kalinic thought he had his hattrick not long into the first period of ET, but the goal was ruled out by a very questionable offside decision. On 106 minutes Jozy Altidore strike put a dagger through the hearts of the Rovers players. a 3-2 loss after extra time and only the league left to worry about this season for Rovers.

MOM - Jozy Altidore, 8.8, 2 goals
Rovers Best - Nikola Kalinic, 8.8, 2 goals.

A trip to Craven Cottage was next in line for Rovers, and the players were keen on a pick me up after the heart breaking loss just three days earlier. After a back and forth 1st half Jason Roberts created the breakthrough in the 44th minute. As Fulham began to push more in the 2nd half a quick break led to a doubling of the lead via Nikola Kalinic. A Paul Konchesky free kick in the 73rd minute made the last 20 nervy, but Blackburn held strong to record a 2-1 victory.

MOM - Steven N'Zonzi, 9.0

A trip to London to face West Ham was next on the agenda and Rovers had only lost once in their last 8 in the league. The Hammers had more of the ball, but did not make good enough use of it. James Rodriguez opened the scoring in the 26th minute after a poorly dealt with corner then just after half time he laid the ball through for Keith Andrews to double the lead. Rovers then pulled back to protect their lead and did so well holding out for a good 2-0 victory.

MOM - James Rodriguez, 8.0, 1 goal

The final test of the month was going to be the toughest, a tie against Tottenham, currently 2nd in the league and flying high. Just under 30,000 saw Rovers play arguably their best game of the season. They played great defensively, allowing just 6 shots on goal and 2 on target from Spurs while creating chances for themselves, but poor finishing was looking like it would cost Rovers 2 points. Then in the 56th minute Nikola Kalinic stepped up and put away a chance after beating a defender inside the box. Rovers held tight defensively for a big 1-0 win over a tough team.

Player of the Month - Steven N'Zonzi, he was named young play of the month in the EPL and played consistently as well as his stellar effort in the win over Fulham.

BBJanResu.jpg

4 wins in the league for the month of January, led to;

BBManofMonth.jpg

Rookie Rovers boss Hodder was named Manager of the Month for the first time in his career.

BBJanTab.jpg

After the great month in the league Rovers are sitting pretty at 6th in the league and looking like they could push for a European spot being just 4 points out of 4th.

With the transfer window opening and closing during January Rovers were looking to add a striker, A bid was accpeted for Veteran Pipo Inzaghi, but his wage demands proved to be too high and no deal could be worked out with Fluminese for Fred. So Hodder decided to go the cheap route and bought in a veteran backup Wesley Sonck from Belgium. The deal cost the side just 40k;

Sonck.jpg

Sonck will be a backup, and he might see action here and there, injury cover and a veteran presence.

Rovers also sold long term servant Steven Reid. He was not seeing any chances in the first team, so he wanted out. Liverpool swooped in with an 3.4 Million Pound bid and Reid found himself a part of the Liverpool setup.

Rovers will be looking to keep their form going into February and indeed the rest of the season and they may find themselves in Europe next season.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

FEBRUARY

A short month and a few important games for Rovers as they were looking to push on and hold their place in the European positions. 4 games and three against teams holding similar positions in the league as us.

A trip to the City of Manchester stadium was first on the cards, with teams level on points it was going to be important to get something out of the game. After absorbing pressure for the entire first half Rovers went into the sheds happy with the 0-0 scoreline. A flowing move in the 66th minute finished by Tevez gave City a 1-0 lead and they looked to push on to push the game beyond doubt, but Rovers were determined and they pushed forward and rewarded with the equalizer via Nikola Kalinic. 1-1 draw a good result for Rovers.

MOM - Stephan Ireland, 7.6
Rover Best - Christopher Samba, 7.5/Nikola Kalinic, 7.5, 1 goal

Next up were the Villians, a tough matchup, even at Ewood Park. Rovers dominated the game, not letting anything through at the defensive end, and creating chances, but it was not until the 84th minute when Rovers won a Penalty. Kalinic coolly stepped and and side footed it towards the corner...SAVED...The ball came out the the left flank, Martin Olsson whipped it in first time. Steven N'Zonzi rose up and headed toward the net...GOAL...Kalinic was spared blushes, N'Zonzi's goal proved to be the winner, a 1-0 win for Rovers.

MOM - Steven N'Zonzi, 8.3, 1 goal

A tough trip to the Reebok to face high flying Rovers was next on the agenda, and the game was always going to be a cracker. End to end football creating plenty of chances, but few finishes. The game looked destined to finish as a 0-0 draw before Jason Roberts slipped the ball through for Keith Andrews to finish, 1-0 Rovers...Roberts then twisted the knife with a breakaway goal last second goal as Wanderers were pushing forward..A huge 2-0 away victory for Blackburn.

MOM - Keith Andrews, 8.0, 1 goal

Finally, Rovers bogey team of the season Hull was up. Hull have played 3 times vs Rovers this season and not let a goal in winning two and drawing once. Rovers were eager to pick up three points from this fixture and it started well with dominance of possession and the chances, but at half-time the scoreline sat at 0-0. Hull then looked to break Rovers hearts as Jozy Altidore scored in the 48th minute. Rovers Johnny on the spot Keith Andrews stepped up to hit and equaliser just minutes later. Rovers pushed on for the rest of the game, but were not able to find the breakthrough. A 1-1 draw vs Hull not what the masses wanted, but a result that they will have to live with, on the bright side, no more Hull this season.

MOM - James Rodriguez, 7.7

Player of the Month. No real one standout this month, but Steven N'Zonzi picked up EPL young player of the month for the 2nd month in a row.

BBFebResu.jpg

A solid string of results and Rovers have held strong, sitting 5th in the EPL with an outside shot at the last Champions League spot.

BBFebTab.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

MARCH

A month of little action for Blackburn, but what there was, was very important. In a very tight race through the middle of the premier league table, picking up points at every opportunity is imperative. Just three league games this month.

First off the bat was a trip to the Stadium of Light. Rovers wanting three points to push further up the table, but were to be denied conceeding a late winner after an equalizer just minutes prior. In a game Rovers should have won it was again the finishing that cost the team. Just 4 of their 16 shots hitting the target. The dagger through the heart of Rovers came in the 92nd minute when Kenwyne Jones headed home.

MOM - Alan Hutton, 8.2
Rover Best - Paul Robinson, 7.8

The next game signalled the start of the trip of death, all 4 big clubs split only by a home match vs Burnley.

Liverpool were up first and Rovers were hoping to try and claim a point from the merseysiders. A tight defensive affair ensured, with neither team creating many clear chances. a 0-0 draw was the final result and Rovers will be happy with a well earned point.

MOM - Sotiris Kyrgiakos, 8.0
Rover Best - Christopher Samba, 7.2

The final game of the months saw Rovers travel to Stamford Bridge. In the previous encounter Rovers had stunned the table toppers with a 2-0 victory. It looked like Rovers were going to get out of the game with a point away too, despite the complete and utter dominance of the Chelsea side. But an 89th minute header from Nicolas Anelka stole all the points for the home side. A tough loss.

MOM - Branislav Ivanovic, 8.2
Rovers Best - Christopher Samba, 7.1

1 point from 3 games is not what Rovers needed at this stage and with Manchester United and Arsenal to come in the next 3 fixtures Rovers are in danger of slipping out of their European place.

BBMarResu.jpg

Blackburn sit 7th right now, but their tough schedule and the condensed table could see them drop. They will need to win some games soon to boost themselves back up.

BBMarTab.jpg

As well as Arsenal and Manchester United, Rovers also play Birmingham and Burnley. They will want at least 6 points from April.

nice work m8 im following

Cheers...Anything I could improve on?? Chelsea look to have the league sealed with not long left.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

APRIL

A great month for Rovers, 8 points from the 4 games despite playing some tough opposition.

First game up in the month was a huge test for the squad. The Hosting of Manchester United, the team who had battered them at Old Trafford earlier in the season. But this game was to be different, a very close game going back and forth, both teams having chances to win the game, but it fell on the boot of younger James Rodriguez who was able to beat Van Der Sar at his near post in the 90th minute to score a famous victory for Rovers. An invaluable 3 points at this stage of the season.

MOM - James Rodriguez - 8.3 1 goal

Next up was the rivalry game against Burnley. Always a tough fixture, but given their tough schedule of late Rovers were going to have to get 3 points from this one. And that is exactly what they did, a stunning solo goal from Jason Roberts as he took the ball from inside his own half, beat two or three Burnley defenders then calmly slotted the ball into the corner of the net gave Rovers a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute. Rovers continued to dominate the game and put it away in the 70th minute via James Rodriguez. Roberts showed good determination to chase down a long ball and pulled it back for Rodriguez to power home. A great 3 points.

MOM - Jason Roberts, 8.5 1 goal

A trip to the Emirates was next on the agenda, and it was always going to be tough. Arsenal were knocking at the door of the Rovers goal all game long Rovers were unable to even muster a single shot on goal, but the dogged determination of the team, and 10 men behind the ball were able to foil Arsenal for the 2nd time this season and hold out of a 0-0 draw. A well earned point.

MOM - Paul Robinson - 8.3

The last game of the month against Birmingham, Rovers wanted 3 points to cap off what would be a spectacular month, but despite taking a lead early in the 2nd half via James Rodriguez the Blues were able to fight back and Salvador Cabanas slotted home well to earn them a point and a 1-1 draw. Finishing cost Rovers points again in this game, they easily could have had 3 or 4 goals in this one.

MOM - Vincenzo Grella, 8.3

8 points from the month is a good haul, but considering the dropped points at Brimingham it could have been better.

BBAprResu.jpg

The solid month has kept Rovers within a European place, and the gaffer has to be happy with where is first season in charge has got him so far.

BBAprTab.jpg

6th Spot on the table is nice for Rovers. A good gap on 8th and a Man City vs Chelsea FA cup final all but guarantees Rovers European football next season. If things fall into place for Rovers they could even ****** 4th place. Wigan and Wolves are the opposition to finish off. 6 points will be expected.

What happened to Arsenal on your game! <) Usually its Liverpool or Man Utd who seem to crumble and finish away down there! and what is with Bolton :O! tis madness i tell ya!

No Idea what is going on with Arsenal, their players do not seem unhappy at all, and Wenger is still there though the job is "Very Insecure" and Bolton what can I say, Owen Coyle is a genius....

Just one more win and a draw and that's it! (H)
This ain't on patch 10.3?

Just one more win and a draw and that's it! (H)
This ain't on patch 10.3?

It is on 10.3 actually. Last update to come in about 10 minutes.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

MAY

Just two fixtures in the month of May and Rovers were looking to win both.

First up was already relegated Wigan, and Rovers showed their dominance with a convincing 4-0 victory. Grella, Samba, Kalinic and Rodriguez were the scorers. This and other results around the league left Rovers unable to finish any lower the 6th. Rovers were heading to Europe.

MOM - Christopher Samba, 9.0, 1 goal.

The last game of the season against Wolves and a win here could slot the team into 5th position. Unfortunately it was not to be, the squad already had their minds on their holidays and European football next season. They fell apart at the back with consistent performers Paul Robinson and Christopher Samba both making mistakes costing goals. final result a 4-2 loss. The most goals they had conceded in a game since October.

MOM - Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, 8.6, 2 goals.
Rovers Best - Steven N'Zonzi, 7.2

It was a great season for Rovers and European football is a huge carrot to look forward to next season. Over the break Rovers will look to add some more creativity in the midfield and a better finisher up front.

BBMayResu.jpg

BBFinalTab.jpg

6th Place for Rovers, surprising Bolton in 5th, Chelsea Champions and no Europe for the Gunners.

FinalSquadStats.jpg

Chris Samba was the standout player of the season, his ability to dominate the ball in the air was amazing, he chipped in with key goals and was Man of the Match 7 times. James Rodriguez came on brilliantly over the last two months of the season, once he settled in he did brilliantly. Steven N'Zonzi was a nice surprise in the central midfield and Micahel Potts got a lot of action (29 games) for a 17 year old. His development will be something to watch.

There is some early transfer news to report. Blackburn have secured the services of Nicolas Burdisso for next season. They signed the experienced central defender on a Bosman Transfer, he will not doubt help top secure things at the back for Rovers.

Burdisso.jpg

Join Rovers next season as they look to replicate their success in the league and hope to make their mark on Europe.

Thanks to all who have followed for the first season. Any tips or suggestions are more than welcome.

Congrats buddy! I noticed that you have Basturk and Salgado in your squad. Don't they eat a chunk of your wage budget?