king_jamie

Reaction score
I'm playing as Man Utd and have got my team playing how I want them to play. However, I've come up against a problem I can't seem to resolve. Every couple of matches, I will come up against an opposition goalkeeper who plays out of his skin and saves his team time and time again. A lot of the time my players will blast their shots directly at the keeper when running clean through on goal or hit a volley straight at him from inside the six yard box, and when the shot isnt aimed at the keeper he will manage to pull off a spectacular save to keep it out. I am getting a lot of draws and losses this season solely due to my inability to put away even a quarter of the chances I get. I am at a complete loss as to why the likes of Rooney, Berbatov and Dzeko have so much difficulty converting these relatively simple chances, particularly one on ones when my success rate is probably around 10%. Could anyone provide me with some insight as to where I'm going wrong? My strikers are given plenty of creative freedom and get themselves in great scoring positions, but they are continually thwarted by these **** goalkeepers.

Ive noticed this alot to world class strikers being unable to score even 50% of clear one on ones altho i find it doesnt lead to me losing alot games just not winning 6-7 nil.

My major problem is the poor AI in certain situations the amount of times ive had two players break free only for it not to be sqaued for a 100% goal but hit right at the keeper is mind boggling and really grinds my gears. Im personally hoping next years ME will be more realistic for amount of chances and how chances are taken. At the moment we get too many easy chances and to even this out it seems the AI has a very low rate off scoring this easy chances. Come on in real life players like Rooney Aguero etc would never miss four one on ones but also very very rarely would they ever get four one on ones.

Its a problem with the ME its self, Personally i recommend one of the downloadable tactics see if that helps, Personally i belive Man Utd are utter rubbish on FM10 so new wingers and a AMC are needed imo too.

It seems strange but Bobby Zamora has 9 in finish rating but he almost puts it in everytime on my Fulham game :p
But one thing that worked for me on FM 09 was to tell players like Torres and Rooney to try to go around the keeper and score

After I posted this, I have had two consecutive games of being totally robbed by the opposition keeper. Tim Howard saved at least 5 shots that would have been guaranteed goals in any level of football, and in my last match I just had to go into an overload strategy in extra time to scrape a 1-0 win against Wigan because Chris Kirkland played a 9. I can't even begin to describe some of the saves he made, but I had 27 shots, 11 on target and 7 clear cut chances according to the game stats. It is so **** frustrating watching my team tear another to shreds only to be undone by impossible goalkeeping. I feel that I have done my job as manager to create a set of tactics that allow my team to create chances and keep a solid defence. I cant get on the pitch and score the goals as well. The top tier keepers like Cech, Reina and Casillas are difficult enough to beat, but when people like Robert Green, Chris Kirkland and Wayne Hennessy are costing you games through individual brilliance, what can you do!?

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Next match, big match against Man City. I decimate them all game and am one on one with Given at least 4 times, all missed. Managed a 2-0 victory, but if I had been able to score from the easy chances I created I could have beaten them by 4 or 5. Even the match engine is telling me my players should have scored when they shoot wide or at the keeper!

King_jamie, the match engine is utter rubbish,because the guys in Sports Interactive haven't got a clue about real football. This FM version is broken, period!
If you pay attention in the stats, this version is programmed so the AI teams scores minimum of 50% of their shots on target, while on average your team scores 10% of shots on target. So if you score 1 goal out of 11 on target, you're on target to keep up with your average.

ive set my tactics with man utd, and im having an average of 60% posession and 15+ shots on goal - and the amount of 1-0 wins i have is amazing. if the opposition scores - im gonna draw 1-1. these super keepers are incredibly annoying, and remind me of FM07. PLUS in my first season i had 18 disallowed goals which also didnt help... :S

Clear Cut Chances Does my head in, 8+ nearly every game :mad:

Well at least I'm not alone in this. I'm getting heaps of goals ruled out for offside too, while half the goals I concede are dodgy. But thats another issue.

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

THIS IS MADNESS!!! I just managed to hit the post 5 times and take 24 shots total without scoring a single one. There is no discernable reason for this, its just the game being arbitrary and unfair. I am at a complete loss as to what to do, unless there is a touchline shout for "finish better, you morons".

Playing with Wolves v Liverpool, Gerard and Torres out injured, yet they managed 16 shots v my Wolves 21.
Final score: Liverpool 8 Wolves 2!!
As the FM comentary says"This is getting ridiculous, Sports Interactive need to sort themselves out"

How are they rubbish? They make a fantastic game which thousands of people enjoy, with one or two flaws and you say it is rubbish? If you think that, go play on viva pinata or something. :O

I have too encountered some weird results. Playing as Bolton, I managed to beat HUll away 9-0 and Wolves away 8-1. Both team played with their DCs man-marking my FCs and they used a deep d-line AND heavy closing down, a combinaion that the current Engine cannor cope with as the DCs are constantly dragged out of position.
I tried to play one game against Man U just this way to see just how much influence it had on the game and I was detroyed when their wingers moved inside the box after my DCs hade been dragged upfield by their deep coming FC and sideways by their channeling FC. I conceded 4 goals witin the first 35 minutes,. After that, United stopped playing but had they continued attacking me, I would have concededd double figures.

So, under certauin circumstances, the ME has flawes that takes huge proportions but otherwise I find it ok

Minor flaws are all well and good, but when the game has a flaw that regularly costs you points when you should be winning by 3 or more goals, its a more serious problem. I am worried every time I come up against a team with even an average keeper, as it seems more or less any of them can single handedly keep their team in a game. Sometimes I wonder if the computer should even bother with a backline, as the opposition keeper just seems totally unbeatable. There have been so many occasions where the ball has been knocked around their box like a pinball, only for the keeper to pull off an absurd double or triple save, facilitated in part by my strikers shooting at him and in part through being able to move at the speed of light.

I have too encountered some weird results. Playing as Bolton, I managed to beat HUll away 9-0 and Wolves away 8-1. Both team played with their DCs man-marking my FCs and they used a deep d-line AND heavy closing down, a combinaion that the current Engine cannor cope with as the DCs are constantly dragged out of position.
I tried to play one game against Man U just this way to see just how much influence it had on the game and I was detroyed when their wingers moved inside the box after my DCs hade been dragged upfield by their deep coming FC and sideways by their channeling FC. I conceded 4 goals witin the first 35 minutes,. After that, United stopped playing but had they continued attacking me, I would have concededd double figures.

So, under certauin circumstances, the ME has flawes that takes huge proportions but otherwise I find it ok

DC positioning is already an acknowledged problem, but I'd raise this with Wwfan if you can TBH - you've an excellent reputation so he may well listen to your diagnosis ;) Positioning has been an issue for a long, long time and wwfan confessed that the two DCs can be split too easily which results in a lot of these 'CCCs' which shouldn't be happening and then get saved by 'superkeeper', but I think there are issues with the lateral movement too, but I tend to get ignored when I bring it up as the game still seems to position players in the 'traditional' English manner rather than more modern positioning being used by most top teams. (6)

Last edited:
How are they rubbish? They make a fantastic game which thousands of people enjoy, with one or two flaws and you say it is rubbish? If you think that, go play on viva pinata or something. :O
Yes it is rubbish, and I'm going to say it again: RUBBISH!!
One or two flaws? Where have you been in the past 536 years Chris? Patch 1 fixed 600 bugs and patch 2 well over 1000, and still the main mistakes that annoys people all over the world are still there
Yes, we all enjoy the game but every year same excuse,wait for the next 3 patches so we can play bugs free.
I'm sorry but it is unforgivable now after all this years of experience gathered by SI.

i've posted something like this in the 'post your frustrations' thread. tbh, there's nothing we can do about it.

It is purely about money, they do not care what bugs it has as long as you keep buying the game!
If they knew it had these bugs why release it? I`ll tell you why MONEY!
FM is a huge franchise now and makes Sega an awful lot of money, all they see it as just give them a new feature and update the transfers and they will keep buying it.
AND WE DO!!!!
Lets face it, would you buy another game of the shelf KNOWING that you have to download a patch every 3 months because the game is not finished? NO. Stupid isn`t it!? But that is what we keep doing.
SI will never sort out the bugs as they do not have to, we keep buying the game.
I mean, what do we do? Collectivley not buy the next one!?
SI take your money then don`t give a ****. PERIOD

I must agree, the players put away 10 - 15% on their chances which is very low. In fm2011 it needs to change because atm it is unrealistic.

I thought it was just Agbonlahor, coz..well...he is a terrible finisher. Glad to see I am not the only one with this problem.

I must agree, the players put away 10 - 15% on their chances which is very low. In fm2011 it needs to change because atm it is unrealistic.

What would we rather have....a new game every season or one every 2 years?? We can't win really : they want the cash and we want to play! (we can harldy even comprehend having to wait until 3 months into the season can we?!!) so I guess we have to accept the flaws as they are...

TBH....we all love this game and it's probably our passion for it that makes us all want it to be perfect - otherwise we'd all be playing CM! boo hiss boo! lol...

*I hate those games where the opp keeper is superman, but if you actually think about it, 8-0's etc....HARDLY EVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE TOP TIER FOOTIE! The stats may be confusing and seem way too generous to the opp' considering you battered them, but in the end the results do reflect - mostly - how the actual footie world would happen....and I don't know about you, but if i went into every game knowing I'd win by 3+ goals, I'd switch off very, very quickly....there would be no challenge!!

(however I have to say I have never experienced any regular long sequence of matches that have been always 20+ chances, 5+ clearcut chances, that end with a 0-0 or scrappy win....my games are much more 'balanced'....have you uploaded tactics into your team? a 'cheat system' or something?? I remember from years gone by that my games used to get a little temperamental and lose the 'flow' of 'normal' football, as I modified my datbase more and more....perhaps this is affecting you too....)

also not sure how you have set up your individual player roles, perhaps you have too players too far forward (offsides), marking the keeper etc...this can lead to a LOT of disallowed goals...

Anyway, hope it levels out for you eventually! keep the faith!

(H)

Well at least I'm not alone in this. I'm getting heaps of goals ruled out for offside too, while half the goals I concede are dodgy. But thats another issue.

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

THIS IS MADNESS!!! I just managed to hit the post 5 times and take 24 shots total without scoring a single one. There is no discernable reason for this, its just the game being arbitrary and unfair. I am at a complete loss as to what to do, unless there is a touchline shout for "finish better, you morons".

what formation and instructions do you use? me or everyone else who wants can try it and see if there is something missing. i previous releases of the fm i had problems like yours but now dont. maybe is just the formation. so tell us please..