Rugby Manager?

Who would like a rugby manager?

• Yes

Votes: 93 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 40.8%

• Total voters
I would say No in making a Rugby Manager game.

I don't go much on rugby but its a game I prefer to play with a few mates rather than to watch it just like tennis and cricket which is boring to watch but alright to play.

I get a bit bored watching Rugby.. I like playing it though. :p

i'd like to see a good Rugby version of the Madden NFL series for consoles before this, but i'd buy it if there was one.

I love rugby and had pro rugby manager. It was a decent game but just got soooo boring. I would like a proper rugby game for Xbox 360/PS3 more than a rugby manger game. A rugby league game would also be good.

i find it hilarious that people call rugby boring and go on about how cool cricket is:D

There is a Rugby Manager which last came out in 04 or somehthing.....I dont really watch Rugby so I will have no interest,maybe SI will create it

I'd give it a go. Love to play and watch Rugby, would be fun to watch in 3d i guess.

Id probs get Rugby Manager but however I dont like rugby much so I wont play it much and the only time I watch rugby is when Rugby Union is ona nd england is playing.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

YouTube- Rugby League Manager 2010 Peview

I beleive there is a rugby manager but it looks terrible

rugby

Hi all, my first post here. I cannot stand football at all, yet have been a fan of this game for a decade. My view of football was yet againa confirmed when I looked up for a moment in the pub when they had the world cup on and as before last time I watched (Rivaldo), a Dutch guy went down like he had just been given a hospital pass and been hit by Jerry Collins. Thing is, the Brzailian chap didn't even graze him. Next thing i know there is a free kick or something and Holland have scored. Made me want to vomit. How can a man behave like that? I mean, have some self respect and grow a pair. I'd almost understand if he did a Matt Rogers after having his ribs wrecked by Josh Lewsey, but even then he was OTT.
So, having started to edit teh game I am now trying to work out how to put pictures to players that I have edited to change the names. So for example, John Terry is now Martin Johnson. Steven Gerard is Lawrence Dallagio. Aaron Ramsay becomes Gavin Henson. John O'Shea becomes Paul O'Connell. You get the idea. It is as close to making a rugby management game as I will ever get once I find out how to change the pictures round.
Which brings me to my point here. There have been very few rugby games made. All bar one have been shocking rubbish - Jonah Lomu Rugby was simple but decent - and when I bought the EA Sports attempt at a rugby game, I ended up for the only time in my life smashing a disk to smithereens in frustration. What I learnt from this: rugby is far to varied and complex for any current technology gaming programme or indeed hardware to accurately represent as FM 2010 does football. Rugby is multi dimensional where fottball is one dimensional. Maybe in 10 years time there will be sufficiently advanced programming to create an accurate match engine for rugby, but even then you have to ask yourself, is there the market to justify the outlay that would be requireed for such development? Given that Sky are truning down teh wick on Premiership coverage because viewer numbers peak at 200K for a Premiership game despite teh huge ramp up in match attendences, I think not. 10 years time? Assuming that the 200,000 subscribers to rugby on Sky plus lets say another 100,000 attending Premeirship games and another 100,000 watching the Magners League represent the number fo rugby fans willing to spend money on their inetrest in rugby represents the number of fans who will buy the game (I know, massive set of assumptions in favour of the game being produced, but that will underline my point) in rugby's biggest single market (UK) I'd have to say no. 400,000 potential buyers. Double that and you have 800,000. Simply not enough to warrant production given the costs involved these days.

There is definitely software, haven't you seen the PS3 and 360's capabilities? Rugby isn't that complex. The problem is that rugby isn't popular enough worldwide to sell well enough. Yes, rugby is popular in this country, but it wouldn't sell one copy in some countries, football is the world's most popular sport, which is why there are so many games made for it. Rugby isn't most popular in this country, and there aren't that many countries in which it is.

But on the "software isn't good enough right now" argument, try playing something like Grand Theft Auto 4... Takes a lot more to make that game than it does to make a rugby game, I can tell you that.

Last edited:
i dont know enough people that know rugby well enough to really care if this game was made. would be a nice idea and i like rugby but probably wouldnt buy it

There are has been Rugby manager games not so long ago, not sure whether they were made by SI but I recall them possibly having something to do with SEGA so maybe.. SI also made a NHL manager game in 2006 I think.. Can't say any of them would go down as well as FM though.

And to whoever said MMA manager would fail could be wrong, I mean WWE incorporated a GM mode into the game, and both games are from THQ so it's possible they could put it into the next UFC game, who knows. Management sims are on the rise! Woohoo!

Fench company Cyanide Studio, of Pro Cycling Manager fame/infamy, did Rugby Manager & RM2 a few years ago. Rugby is much more popular in France apparently; these games had a decent 3D game engine but they had no real depth to them, a bit like Cricket Captain - once you get past the match experience there's very little going on 'under the hood'. Hardly any player stats to speak of & no player or media interaction & tactics were almost non existent.

Fench company Cyanide Studio, of Pro Cycling Manager fame/infamy, did Rugby Manager & RM2 a few years ago. Rugby is much more popular in France apparently; these games had a decent 3D game engine but they had no real depth to them, a bit like Cricket Captain - once you get past the match experience there's very little going on 'under the hood'. Hardly any player stats to speak of & no player or media interaction & tactics were almost non existent.

"Childish Things" created the "ICC" (international cricket captain) series, it has plenty of player stats and the players do improve, though this can only be seen using a hex editor. The main drawback being Chris is basically the sole programmer of the company and over the past 14 years (oh yes its been going that long) its not really changed much.

Cyanide however are thieves and rouges and deserve death in the arena, they provide no tech support to any English speaker and almost never create patches for the massive bugs in their half-arsed games. Examples...

1. Pro Rugby Manger 1 & 2. Regardless of your former achivements, if you fail to reach the far exaggerated season goal, you are sacked. Winning 4 Zurich Prems in a row and then finishing second... sacked. No patch created.
2. Pro Rugby Manger 1 & 2. Didnt even bother updating the English manual for the 2nd edition. All of the new options were trial and error.
3. Horse Racing manager. After a number of seasons all horses are bought and sold for £0 (patched in the French version, no patch in the original.
4. Horse Racing manager 2. English demo availabe. And also a rare English copy. After hours of patching a French version into English using the demo data... no English manual whatsoever was produced, making the game unplayabe.
5. Pro Cycling manager. The game is getting progressively worse, the only real way to learn to play is by trawling through english speaking forums.

I dont mind Chris Child being slow with his work, I like his work and patches to improve gameplay can be downloaded by the game itself. ICC98 was the first one I had, I've had a good number of them since. Cyanide however use these more niche games as a quick buck to fund PCM and dont even reply to ANY questions placed on the official Cyanide English forum... **** them.

Last edited: