Russia World Cup 2018

zzeezzy

Reaction score
As we are on the eve of the World Cup starting, I thought mayswell start this thread now and get some discussion going as I'm sure it will have a lot of talking points through the summer. So feel free to post about who you think will win? Players to watch out for? Anything else related welcome.

I'll kick this off by saying that Saudi Arabia will host a World Cup before they win a game at a World Cup. (H)

P.S. Now I've put the ZZ curse on the Arabians, they'll go on and win the ****** tournament! :p

Have a sneaky feeling Argentina could win this one. Messi's last attempt before retiring from international football. Germany will always be there or thereabouts. Will keep a eye on Iceland too. Hope they do well

I was wondering if there would be a thread like this. Glad you opened one zzezzy!

For me, is Brazil, France, Spain and Germang by some distance. Spain less so with the unbelievable decision to dismiss Lopetegui.

I’m curious to see how Mexico fares in this WC. Lots of people think they’ll finally get to that quarter final game and maybe even further from that. Besides them, also want to see how group c with France Denmark Peru and Australia plays out. France might be a guarantee but don’t forget 2010 and the other three teams are really solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The situation with Spain's manager is the most absurd **** I have ever seen in football. Looks like Spanish FA have sacked him because..they got butthurt I guess? WTF.

The situation with Spain's manager is the most absurd **** I have ever seen in football. Looks like Spanish FA have sacked him because..they got butthurt I guess? WTF.
He ****** them though, extremely unprofessional that the head of your FA finds out 5mins before the press release. Dont see what other option they had. Considering he accepted a new contract just a month ago shows the faith they put in him. Then again you dont sack your coach a day before the world cup starts especially when he is well liked by the majority of the squad. The whole situation could have been avoided if Madrid and Lopetegui had waited until after the world cup. Instead they put the Spanish FA in a lose-lose situation.

I’m curious to see how Mexico fares in this WC. Lots of people think they’ll finally get to that quarter final game and maybe even further from that. Besides them, also want to see how group c with France Denmark Peru and Australia plays out. France might be a guarantee but don’t forget 2010 and the other three teams are really solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mexico is always tough to beat in a WC, but they'll likely face Brasil in the 16 round. I don't fancy their chances.

He ****** them though, extremely unprofessional that the head of your FA finds out 5mins before the press release. Dont see what other option they had. Considering he accepted a new contract just a month ago shows the faith they put in him. Then again you dont sack your coach a day before the world cup starts especially when he is well liked by the majority of the squad. The whole situation could have been avoided if Madrid and Lopetegui had waited until after the world cup. Instead they put the Spanish FA in a lose-lose situation.

It was not a lose-lose situation. If they kept Lopetegui (like they did with Aragones in 2008 when he signed for Fenerbahce before the euro) they'd be one of the strongest candidates, if not the strongest. As a executive, the president of Spanish FA should be able to put pride aside and objectively choose the better option for the national team to win the WC. It is not just about Lopetegui. It was disrespectful to the players that worked hard to play at the level they are, including Iniesta , who'll play his last WC. The president fecked up badly.

Last edited:

Of course it was unprofessional, but what do you accomplish by sacking him, when he would be gone in 4 weeks anyways? To me it just looks like petty revenge and FA putting their pride over the good of the team.

I won't be watching the Russian World Cup for reasons, but I will say good luck to the squad.

And I'm hoping the press won't do the usual bullshit of building up players (especially young ones) then absolutely crucifying them over one mistake, which will completely shatter their confidence. Oh wait, who am I kidding.

Think the Saudis could get something out of this opening game, hope they do.

Have a sneaky feeling Argentina could win this one. Messi's last attempt before retiring from international football. Germany will always be there or thereabouts. Will keep a eye on Iceland too. Hope they do well

I had 60p in my account so chucked it on Argentina to win it for 6 quid return haha.

So, two pints for me if they win

I won't be watching the Russian World Cup for reasons, but I will say good luck to the squad.

And I'm hoping the press won't do the usual bullshit of building up players (especially young ones) then absolutely crucifying them over one mistake, which will completely shatter their confidence. Oh wait, who am I kidding.

I can guarantee you that will happen ;)

But tbh I always thought that was kind of a kop out for players when using the whole media as an excuse. Sure they are ***** but is it really that different in other countries?

Say if Brazil lose a game, their media won't go just as batshit crazy?

I am hoping that Belgium will do well. I think they'll have a great tournament team. Only thing is that I don't have faith in their mentality. They have a kind of "calimero-effect" on them: always count themselves as the little ones/underdogs. And that players like Courtois might be a pain to manage when things don't go well, just like in the previous tournament.

Anyways, with their first 11 I think they've got a decent shot at the title. Some game winners, good goalkeeper, okayish defence.

I can guarantee you that will happen ;)

But tbh I always thought that was kind of a kop out for players when using the whole media as an excuse. Sure they are ***** but is it really that different in other countries?

Say if Brazil lose a game, their media won't go just as batshit crazy?

Tbh I don't think it's just that. The gutter trash here literally thrives on being negative to our players. The BBC did a week of monitoring news outlets, trying to find out which countries press were the most positive to their own teams, and negative. Spain turned out to be the most positive, with Brazil a close second. Guess which country's media was the most negative? Yup that's right. Though I was surprised to see Germany a close second.

The younger players need some leeway and encouragement, and be given a chance to develop. Yes they are adults, and should be treated as such in some regards, however at the same time when you have the gutter trash constantly looking for negatives surely it makes them think "why should I bother if they only try to destroy my performances and they're only interested in dirt in my private life?".

With regards to the "mature" players in the team, it's a poisoned chalice. They are constantly hounded, and you have that ridiculous Sterling situation and majority of the time, literally nothing is good enough. Yes once you reach a certain point you should have some self belief and confidence, but make no mistake, all the constant attention and hounding can easily destroy it, no matter how tough you are.

I guess you're right, in a way I hope England just go out there with a 'don't give a f*ck attitude*, that would probably make them perform better.

Got to say, I wasn't that keen on Southgate when he was appointed, but so far I've kind of admired his attitude and honesty after matches of the teams performance.

This tournament will be a good judgment of Southgate and England, I don't think there is a lot of expectation but I'd consider it a success if we made it to Quarter Finals.

Should get out of the group comfortably, I mean first game is always key, Tunisia isn't as easy as might first appear. Belguim will be real tricky game and Panama, we should, emphasise should, walk over them. (Iceland again springs to mind!).

Great thread barring 1 issue I have.

Why is the logo the Manchester United Badge!?

Great thread barring 1 issue I have.

Why is the logo the Manchester United Badge!?

I'm a novice at this kind of ting, my profile pic is that MU logo so I'm guessing that's why, I'll see if I can change it.

Edit:there we go, I've changed it folks, it should now be Russia 2018 World Cup logo.

Last edited:
Tbh I don't think it's just that. The gutter trash here literally thrives on being negative to our players. The BBC did a week of monitoring news outlets, trying to find out which countries press were the most positive to their own teams, and negative. Spain turned out to be the most positive, with Brazil a close second. Guess which country's media was the most negative? Yup that's right. Though I was surprised to see Germany a close second.

I think all the vicious negativity towards England NT is because they've been **** for like 2 decades, at least compared to expectations. People just get fed up with it. Last time you had a team that genuinely looked like it can do something was what, Euro 96?

We had the same thing with our NT for most of my life. Expectations were always sky high because of World Cup success Poland had in 70s and 80s, but new generation of players just wasn't on that level, and they would get absolutely trashed and humiliated by the media and fans alike for a tiniest mishaps. We literally had popular pop song that was mocking the team after crashing out of the group in Korea 2002, played 24h/7 on every radio. It was ******* brutal.

But now that team is performing up to expectation of where should we be as a 40 million country obsessed with football, all of that just went away, to the point that online ****** who act super negative (and probably beat off while doing it) are often put in place by other people.

Thing is, our current NT has simply earned the respect they now enjoy. Not just through results but good work ethic and respect for the badge. They always fight until the final whistle, they never give up, they work incredibly hard and I've never seen them - finger crossed - to collapse mentally. And people just respect that and it changed the whole atmosphere like you wouldn't believe.

So in the end it's all in the hands of players.

Well that opening Ceremony was erm **** lol. At least till Robbie Williams flipped of to the world on camera :)

Glad they picked a cracker to get us underway.....

Everytime hear the Russian national anthem always think of Rocky 4 :)))))))

Last edited: