Safe Standing.

Yeah, actually. Luton and Goodison, to name a few... 'mate'.

Times change; thanks for that captain obvious
Law changes; do happen to keep up to date with society
Memories; don't change and aren't forgotten.

Cool story.

These disasters won't be forgotten but if you let it effect you for the rest of your life then you're a very weak person.

- There is very little hooliganism in the English game any-more
- Games are policed better
- It is 1 ticket per person (Maybe 1 or 2 people can sneak in but come on, you really think that's going to make a difference)
- Stadiums are in a much better shape than they were 20+ years ago.

Standing is not dangerous, and if you actually took five minutes out of your life to research it you'd find that out for yourself.

Memories aren't forgotten, no, but that is irrelevant. What's important right now are facts, and all the facts point towards safe standing being a good idea. If you can't accept that then I feel very sorry for you.

What has memories got to with how standing actually works? You want to let hillsborough cloud your judgement, thats your perogative. But dont dismiss actual working practice and long standing experiments and reports (all incorporating the lessons of hillsborough). Standing is like seating, when it is managed well its incredible safe. if all seater stadiums were not managed properly you would get injuries.

Ticketing is still rigid for standing, you are still numbered, as you would be in seating, there is still a number in area. You cant just swan into standing from seated. there is no overcrowding in the modern standing because you are still regulated as if you had a seat. To be honest, looking at what you repeatedly post, I dont think you have done the research on this, or taken a look at how it is done. Because if you had, you'd know that the reports into standing wasnt a case of persuasion, but basically a cross examination of ever bringing it back with the aim of finding faults, but they more they looked to it, the stronger the case for standing became, because of all the changes.

Exactly what I've been saying the entire time. I guess if people want to let their opinions be ruled by sentiment then what can you do.

And to be honest, every club that wants this, will be doing their upmost to enforce health and safety. This day and age health and safety is top agenda in every single company, or football clubs. Last thing they would want is the health and safety people coming down on them like a ton of bricks-the negative press if it happened would be disastrous. So they'd double their efforts to make sure all standards are met. They'd have too much to lose

To be honest, looking at what you repeatedly post, I dont think you have done the research on this, or taken a look at how it is done.

Too right I haven't. If someone came up to me on the street, of if each club had their own vote of the matter, my reply would be the same;

Why bother with it? There are too many examples of disasters in standing stands. Things are fine the way they are.

Too right I haven't. If someone came up to me on the street, of if each club had their own vote of the matter, my reply would be the same;

Why bother with it? There are too many examples of disasters in standing stands. Things are fine the way they are.

Good thing you dont have a say then.

I dont know if many people on here are old enough to remember the Bradford Fire disaster. Ok this was a time when stands were built of wood and whatever **** they could erect them with but if that stand had been seated far more people would have died in that disaster. Standing saved alot of lives in that disaster. One of the main reasons that Hilsborough was tragic was there was fencing around the ground to segregate fans and could not get out because of being penned in.

After looking at the link for safe standing I would welcome it. I miss the old days and looks like they have come up with a very good solution.

Tezzz I cant understand why you like my post yet reading the other posts you are against safe standing yet I think it is ok to bring it back.

Tezzz I cant understand why you like my post yet reading the other posts you are against safe standing yet I think it is ok to bring it back.

I don't know why I liked it either. Must be a facebook thing.

And I take in what you think about the situation, but it doesn't mean I'm for it.

I would never bring back standing in the way it was back then, and quite some time back, when they were first thinking about it, I was against it, so i took the time to read through all the fact finding and reports, and watched how germany had done it, and it changed my mind, because the way it is done these days (using germany as the example) is so far removed from the days of hillsborough.

I don't know why I liked it either. Must be a facebook thing.

And I take in what you think about the situation, but it doesn't mean I'm for it.

Im not saying you have to be for it as everyone has their own preference which is what forums are about.

I will add that just because AS OF YET there has been no disasters in an all seated arena does not mean it is just as safe as a stadium where it was standing. If a fire broke out in a seated arena no-one knows what the disaster would be like but I think the outcome would be pretty poor as people would be trying to clamber over seats causing crushes getting intoxicating fumes from plastic seats melting. We wont know until it happens but I think this clouds judgement because it has not happened yet.

I would never bring back standing in the way it was back then, and quite some time back, when they were first thinking about it, I was against it, so i took the time to read through all the fact finding and reports, and watched how germany had done it, and it changed my mind, because the way it is done these days (using germany as the example) is so far removed from the days of hillsborough.

Completely agree,technology,advances in knowledge and experience mean we're light years ahead of 25 years ago. The fact is that more and more people and clubs want safe standing. It's tried and tested in Germany and it works- I mean there have been no injuries reported as a cause of standing in Germany. How can you overcrowd a Safe standing area nowadays? You basically get allocated a ''seat'' number then stand there. Clubs won't oversell.

Down at Selhurst one of the stands is the unofficial standing stand anyway. I fail to see how removing the seats so that the people who want to stand can stand in a stand where standing is standard is bad.

I think I've lost track of what I was trying to say...

Last edited:

There's examples of roofs collapsing, stands collapsing, bombs whatever. Best just get rid of stadiums all together 'just in case'.

Standing has risks that are minimised by the laws & regulations being brought through in the same way every other 'risk' I just listed are minimised by laws & regulations.

Back