• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 4K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Southampton winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has a medical ahead of a proposed move to Arsenal, BBC Sport understands.

More...

Saw him a few times last year and honestly I didn't think he looked very good. Still he is very young so I will not judge him just yet.

Generally had hoped he'd end up at Man Utd learning under Fergie, Nani, Ashley Young and co as I think he'd reach his full potential better.

Generally had hoped he'd end up at Man Utd learning under Fergie, Nani, Ashley Young and co as I think he'd reach his full potential better.

Indeed. Wenger's rubbish at getting the full potential out of youngsters ;)

For precisely the reasons you just gave, he'd get more chances, sooner at Arsenal. Don't think Utd were ever that interested in him tbh - more Arsenal and Liverpool making genuine moves.

@Donelly - suggestion a while ago was that he would stay at S'Hampton on loan as part of the deal. Don't know whether that's still on the agenda though.

I never said Wenger was **** at getting the best out of youngsters but I think in terms of bettering his career, of course Arsenal is a step up from Southampton but going to Man Utd would be better still for him. I for one was very impressed with him when we played them in the FA Cup last season. Exciting young talent.

I have to agree with Joss on this one - United have a few good options to play on either wing and he would be unlikely to get games. And Wenger's equally good at getting the most out of his kids.

Guess the packet of sweets and the cheeky smile work after all!

I have to agree with Joss on this one - United have a few good options to play on either wing and he would be unlikely to get games. And Wenger's equally good at getting the most out of his kids.

Guess the packet of sweets and the cheeky smile work after all!

View attachment 190642

I think going to Arsenal was the right move for him. He should get some game time there and I'm sure that if he has the talent for it, he will make it.

I never said Wenger was **** at getting the best out of youngsters but I think in terms of bettering his career, of course Arsenal is a step up from Southampton but going to Man Utd would be better still for him. I for one was very impressed with him when we played them in the FA Cup last season. Exciting young talent.

I know - I was deliberately exaggerating what you said. Hence the ';)' - jeez, fm-b has (in general) got so sensitive!

Still disagree, though. SAF has a good record with young players with Smalling perhaps the best and most recent example of a youngster getting chances at Utd after being bought in from outside the club.

But Wenger's record is pretty difficult to compete with.. Would Ramsey or Cesc have got the opportunities they've had at Arsenal, at Utd? Probably not, just because the philosophies of AW and SAF differ in that sense.

Pointless to argue about it anyway tbh - as I said, Utd never seemed all that interested in him. Only LFC and Arsenal made bids as far as I know.

12 Million we've reportedly payed for him. sigh. As much as hes a good youth prospect, we need to spend the money on first team players. Mersacker has just become available, Im sure 12 million would be a good enough bid to get him. As much as Im happy we got him, I'd rather the money gone on a solid first team player rather then one for the future.

12 Million we've reportedly payed for him. sigh. As much as hes a good youth prospect, we need to spend the money on first team players. Mersacker has just become available, Im sure 12 million would be a good enough bid to get him. As much as Im happy we got him, I'd rather the money gone on a solid first team player rather then one for the future.

I'd rather we paid £12m for AOC than for Mertesacker.

Oh and the deal is only is only £6.5m up front, with performance-related add ons. So, no. That wouldn't be enough to get Mertesacker IMO.

dont care at all as he's not a cb :(

Don't be so doom & gloom for once.

why not its another ****** teenager who we dont need

why not its another ****** teenager who we dont need

Because he's one of the best rated youngsters in England at the moment and there's nothing to suggest that Wenger won't add a defender to the squad within 3 weeks. Being negative gets you nowhere.

Big mistake young Alex. He would have been played week in week out at Southampton, and progressed more as a footballer as a result. Instead, he has 2 or 3 years of reserve football to look look forward to, and possibly one or two league cup games. Porr decision, but it was mostly down to his pathetic father Mark, who told him to move to Arsenal just so he could get some of the money! Really is pathetic. Of course, if Arsene wants to be a mug and pay £12,000,000 for a player that is only proven in League 1, then be my guest, as we are getting the best deal by a long way. Ah well, we can improve our squad massivly now and become real contenders for promotion from the Championship.

Congratulations, Alex, on your £12,000,000 transfer to one of the countries best clubs, Arsenal Reserves!

Saying that, I do wish the lad every luck, and I hope he does eventually become a great player, and get capped for England, which I am sure he will.

Finally, I would like to say, f*ck of Mr. Wenger for being a total ******* and steeling the smaller clubs best players all the time! Instead of paying this amount for our player, why not just pay for a better youth recruitment network!? That way both clubs win. In this deal, only one club wins, which is us.

Thank you,
and goodbye!

are we really paying 12M for him :( ?

No, even more! On our official website, it says the deal has blown the previous transfer income record "out of the water"! In which case, it must be a fair bit more that £12,500,000, which is what we in total recieved for Walcott! :D Good times here on the South Coast. Over £12.5m for a player only proven in League 1! Mugs.

Arsenal have a better youth system than Southampton and I'm sure he will get to play. I think he would stand a better chance at Arsenal than s'Hampton.

You are kidding right!? A lot of Arsenal's youth players have come from different clubs to begin with! Without the Southampton Academy, Arsenal would be without Walcott and now Chamberlain, and football would be without the likes of Gareth Bale, Wayne Bridge, Alan Shearer, Matt le Tiss, and many more!

Back