Samillyroy's Stade Rennais Guide

samillyroy

Reaction score
Stade Rennais FC

Hello again, this is my second guide and this time it's about the French side Stade Rennais. It's a good challenge to bring this side to the top of Europe because they have a decent youth side and a fantastic youth set-up as well. It is one of my local teams and having been to the Stade de la Route de Lorient a few times, I find the atmosphere brilliant and so I reckon you should all try them out!

Stade-Rennais.png

i) WHY PLAY AS STADE RENNAIS?

They are an interesting team to play as in the French division, which itself is enjoyable to play - I've played it once on FM as Bordeaux and thoroughly enjoyed it. You get a decent amount of money, but nowhere near enough to make this an easy challenge. Your youth set-up is one of the best around (as I will explain shortly) and I find it good to try and utilise this and try to make it the best French team in the country.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wvm_NkdMdU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wvm_NkdMdU[/ame]
Yacine Brahimi, one of France's biggest prospects.

1) THE CLUB ITSELF

1a) Recent History
Rennes have been in the top flight since 1994, and were bought in 1998 by retail magnate Francois Pinault. He invested heavily in the club, building a state-of-the-art youth centre and also helping to modernize the impressive 'Stade de la Route de Lorient'. It has never finished higher than 4th in it's history which is what would make it a good challenge as well. They are currently poised to break this record anyway as they undertake one of their best seasons ever - follow them here: http://www.stade-rennais-online.com/-English-version-.html

1b) Financial Position
Rennes have a 'secure' financial position - there is no debt at the club and it has a decent value at just under 40m. You will be guaranteed a kitty of at least 7m, more than enough to start you off and of course that will only expand as you take the team further. There are no problems in this sector.

1c) Youth Set-Up
Stade Rennais boasts one of the finest youth systems in France. Since it's revamp in 2000, it has produced the likes of Yann M'Vila, Yacine Brahimi and Lyon's Jimmy Briand. It is an exciting aspect of the club, and there are a number of youth prospects:

Abdoulaye Diallo - Goalkeeper
Will easily be the number 1 in a few years, and is getting close to being a good backup already.
Yann M'Vila - Defensive Midfielder
20 years old and already in the national side - he is one of the hottest prospects in France at the moment.
Kevin Theophile-Catherine - Full Back (Left/Right)
Great prospect and will easily be at the level of Rod Fanni in a few years time.

There are many more in the Under-19s as well for you to look through. The point is that it is producing some fine talent of it's own, and the regens in the future will also likely be very good!

Route_de_Lorient_A6.jpg

2) THE SQUAD

2a) The Players
It's a strong squad and doesn't need too much bolstering in my opinion. I will recommend you a formation (a revamp on the 4-3-3 formation), which is one that the team uses in real life and has proven effective for me; but of course you are welcome to use any other formation.

Players will be organised with respect to the formation that I will recommend you. The blue stars indicate their current rating - the black indicates future rating.

Goalkeepers
1. Nicolas Douchez (****)
18172.jpg

16. Johann Carrasso (***)
18167.jpg

40. Abdoulaye Diallo (*****)
18171.jpg

Very strong position - you have 3 different levels of goalkeeper here. Nicolas Douchez is at his peak and is one of the best goalkeepers in France. Johann Carrasso (brother of Bordeaux keeper Cedric Carrasso) is just 22 and is a hot prospect, but Abdoulaye Diallo is your future number 1. He is 18 years old and is a future French international.
NO REPLACEMENTS NEEDED

Left-Back
26. Kevin Theophile-Catherine (****)
18187.jpg

13. Samuel Souprayen (***)
18185.jpg

29. Romain Danze (***)
18169.jpg

You have plenty of cover for this position and Theophile-Catherine should be your number 1. Souprayen can possible go, in which case you may want to find a replacement left-back, such as Djamel Mesbah. Danze is a right back by trade, but with Rod Fanni the number one on that side, he can do a good job on the other flank.

Right-Back
12. Rod Fanni (****)
rod-fanni_16592_w125.jpg

29. Romain Danze (***)
18169.jpg

Rod Fanni is pushing for the national side so he is a sure bet for number 1, and Danze is very good cover. No worries here.

Centre-Back
5. Kader Mangane (****)
18181.jpg

15.Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik (****)
18176.jpg

4. Onyekachi Apam (****)
18189.jpg

24. Bira Dembele (***)
18170.jpg

Good cover in this position too. I like to have 4 centre-backs generally speaking and these are all mostly injury-free and of a good level. Mangane will be targeted by big sides like City, Palermo and Arsenal. Hold on to him at all costs, he will be a massive player for you.

Defensive Midfield

6. Alexander Tettey (****)
18186.jpg

17. Yann M'Vila (*****)
18184.jpg

14. Georges Mandjeck (****)
18180.jpg

28. Toungo Doumbia (***)
18173.jpg

Very strong position. I play with two defensive midfielders - an anchorman and a deep lying playmaker. M'Vila and Tettey is a strong line-up, but Mandjeck is superb cover and Doumbia can play a part as well. In the future, look for Lukman Haruna.

Central Midfield

7. Jerome Leroy (***)
18179.jpg

10. Stephane Delmat (****)
18168.jpg

For this season at least, this is a very strong position - Leroy is 35 but can play a major role, as his stats are still very impressive. At 31 Delmat will have a good couple of seasons but you will need replacements sooner rather than later. I recommend Clement Grenier from Lyon, who you can get cheap in the first season, or Blaise Matuidi, whose contract is expiring at the end of the season, and with the right negotiation, can be bought for a decent amount.

Left Wing

8. Sylvain Marveaux (****)
18182.jpg

27. Abdoul Camara (****)
18166.jpg

I often change between inside-forward and wingers - if you play with wingers then Marveaux is your number 1 and is a very good player, Manchester City will look to take him off your hands but you should look to extend his contract immediately. Camara is a decent prospect, but not a great player yet. I recommend loaning Chelsea's Gael Kakuta as he can do a good job as backup and fits in immediately.

Right-Wing

11. Jires Kembo-Ekoko (****)
18177.jpg

20. Yacine Brahimi (****)
18165.jpg

Kembo-Ekoko is one of my hidden gems - he performs admirably for me and he grows well as well. Brahimi is very raw but is one of the best talents in the side. Performs wlel on the right wing, in the centre of midfield or as an inside forward on the left-flank. In real life they signed Razak Boukari, and that could be a good place to look as he can be acquired fairly cheaply.

Striker

21. Victor Hugo Montano (****)
18183.jpg

I like Victor as a poacher, and he does get a lot of goals but this is the critical place to strengthen. At the beginning of the game you can get Jozy Altidore for just over 3m. He is a brilliant back-up and will become better than Montano.

2b) Mentality
This is a young side, so they are very driven and that is useful when you are looking to overthrow the old Lyon/Marseille regime in French football. On information, it states that the squad is 'Ambitious'.

2c) Tactics
I recommend this formation:

View attachment 132446

I play counter-attacking football because it is very good against almost all teams in the French league. Kembo-Ekoko and Marveaux are pacy, and will deliver good, flat crosses to Montano who works well as a poacher. They will also bag goals, and with Jerome Leroy you have a brilliant advanced playmaker to supply them on the counter..

I hope you enjoyed this guide and I would love to hear if it inspired any of you to play as Rennes - I think it's an interesting challenge to do and I hope you do too!!

Last edited:
this is a very well layed out guide, I dont use guides, however, if I did, I would enjoy this style :) good job :)

maybe I should make a guide for my Freiburg team.. hmm :)

this is a very well layed out guide, I dont use guides, however, if I did, I would enjoy this style :) good job :)

maybe I should make a guide for my Freiburg team.. hmm :)

yes well I don't usually use them for the advice, but I find them good for getting into games, because otherwise I struggle to motivate myself sometimes ha.

thanks for the compliments and I think you should do a Freiburg one, I'd love to read it.

I love the french league but normally always choose Lyon. Though after seeing this guide, then checking in-game and seeing they have state of the art youth facilities (wow!), ima start a save as them.

So cheers for the guide :) though why is this in general chat? :S

I love the french league but normally always choose Lyon. Though after seeing this guide, then checking in-game and seeing they have state of the art youth facilities (wow!), ima start a save as them.

So cheers for the guide :) though why is this in general chat? :S

thanks a lot bud :) they are definitely a challenge worth doing - more fun than lyon in my opinion :p
and because that's where guides go normally??

Another excellent guide mate, and an interesting formation too. I'm actually very tempted to start a Rennes save now. Good work

Nice guide mate thinking I might start a game with them aswell. Infact I'm going to right now. I'll let you know how I get on ;)

Might even make a story out of it.

Nice guide mate thinking I might start a game with them aswell. Infact I'm going to right now. I'll let you know how I get on ;)

Might even make a story out of it.

yeah do it! would love to see a story about them, I would be a definite follower ha. tell me how it goes mate

Just ask for it to be moved mate. I'll do my very best to write a story on it. Not sure how well My creative mind will be but i'll give it a bash later anyway :D Writing storys makes you go further on the games so :p
If you have any ideas on Title names or anything at all just Pm me mate :D

Great guide. I think I will try Stade Rennais after that I got now some experience with lille and lyon

Samillyroy who would you sell if you're only using 1 defensive mid?

if I was to use one defensive mid, I would probably get rid of Doumbia because tettey and mandjeck are both decent in centre mid as well, or as backup for m'vila. M'vila's your star player though so don't get rid of him, whatever you do.