San Marino- Attempting the Impossible

I noticed that the Mighty Potters (Stoke City) managed too not only make the CL but finish top of their group containing Juve, What I have say too that is HOW!!!!! Also how is their squad, I bet Delaps still there lol

This is a really entertaining read! Flows well and is easy to follow, good job so far. Just curious as to who won Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018?

Thanks for the comment! Means a lot to me to know other people are enjoying the story. Brazil won WC 2018 over Mexico (ugh) in the final. Euro 2016 was a bit of a surprise, Belgium won over Ukraine, the quarters saw those two plus Turkey and Russia.

I noticed that the Mighty Potters (Stoke City) managed too not only make the CL but finish top of their group containing Juve, What I have say too that is HOW!!!!! Also how is their squad, I bet Delaps still there lol

Haha, Delap moved to Aston Villa at the beginning of the save, then went to Port Vale for 3 years before moving to Scunthorpe where he finally decided to hang his hat. He's now an U18 coach at AFC Wimbledon who are now in the Championship.

Stoke has done well the last few years but really acheived last year coming in 2nd in the league. Unfortunately the distraction of Champions League must be getting to them, they're clear down in 14th. Here's their current team:

View attachment 292699

January 2019

View attachment 292719

Another great month in the league as we won all 4 of our matches. Not as lucky in our defense of the cup, losing 0-2 to Juventus. Sotomayor came back from injury in the second half of the Bologna game and once again shows excellent recovery scoring the games only two goals in the dying breaths of regulation.

League Table

View attachment 292726

With the leagues best offense, and second best defense, we're 8 points clear at the top now with a spectacular goal difference. Juventus have recovered their league form somewhat and are still a threat, along with Napoli and Atalanta, if we let some games slip.

Squad

View attachment 292731

Kotarski and Ogaga both had good months, but it's Zmajla who earns player of the month honors. He played in all 5 games, scoring 4 goals and creating 3.

Serie A Record

View attachment 292733

Been giving Boschetti a few games and he repaid me with this. He's really been developing well so hopefully he can turn into that leading Serie A striker my coaches rave he can be.​

February 2019

View attachment 292942

The first somewhat disappointing month of the season. Away to Juventus we did well to lead 1-0 all the way to the dying minutes despite being outplayed before they scored a quickfire double to make it a 1-2 loss. The next three matches were great, our offense was really firing on all cylinders to take victories in all three matches, and the match against Napoli was especially important as they're our closest challengers. Away to Galatasary in the first leg of Champions League knockout round 1 saw us take a 1-0 lead before they hit back immediately. We dominated the game but were unlucky to go down 1-3 before Zmajla scored a consolation goal in the 78th minute to make the final scoreline read 2-3. At least that should give us an advantage for away goals, but we'll need to be in top form to beat them in the return leg at home. With the matches coming so close together for the majority of the month, the players just didn't have it in them to keep the goalscoring going and failed to find the net for the first time in the league this season and going down 0-1 against Palermo in the process.

League Table

View attachment 292948

As I mentioned, the Napoli win was especially important. Despite doubling our loss total for the season in February, we still managed to extend our lead to sit up 10 points with the season coming to the latter stages. Juventus have finally started to play like Juventus again and haven't been defeated in their last 7 league games, but it might just be too late for them to mount a late season challenge for the title. AC Milan have once again been disappointing and have fired they're coach, so who do they turn to?...
View attachment 292951
I honestly would have thought I'd be considered for a lot more jobs than I have because I'm obviously amazing at this. However this is the first I've been offered a job since being approached by West Ham a couple years back. Surprisingly, the budgets they were offering are less than what the San Marino board have given me to work with. The only improvement over my current position would have been an $11k p/w raise, but who would want that?

Squad

View attachment 292952

Our two main strikers are our highest rated players, and rightfully so. We've scored a whopping 22 goals more than the next best team in Juventus and are now tied with them for the best defense in the league. Zmajla grabs another player of the month, having compiled 5 goals and 4 assists in the 6 games this month.​

I cant believe you haven't posted any updates on your story. I was really enjoying it.

I cant believe you haven't posted any updates on your story. I was really enjoying it.

Sorry guys, been out of town a lot for family stuff over the holidays. I'll be picking this up again soon. Glad to hear it's been missed!

March 2019

View attachment 298504

After two straight defeats to end February we bounced back nicely with a huge 6-2 win over Sampdoria, then somehow decided not to show up to play away to Roma losing 0-4. We did manage to bounce back and close out the month with 3 wins with identical scorelines of 3-1, perhaps the most important being the win against Galatasaray which saw us move into the Quarter Finals of the Champions League for the first time in club history.

League Table

View attachment 298505

With only 8 league games remaining we're still top but will have to remain professional to ensure a surging Juventus don't catch us in the end. They won all 4 of their league games in March, extending their unbeaten run to 9 games in the league. They also will be able to focus solely on the league having been knocked out of Champions League on away goals by Olympique Lyonnais.

Squad

View attachment 298506

Diego Fabbrini gets player of the month honors for March, mainly due to his outstanding performance against Sampdoria where he scored 4 goals and created another. He played in all 5 games for the month picking up an additional goal and 3 assists.

Champions League Draws

View attachment 298507View attachment 298508

So we'll be meeting the defending champions for the second year in a row. I was content with our performance against them last year and am optimistic that we can at least give it a go again this time around. However, even if we manage to get past them we'll most likely be facing another favorite in Barcelona unless Stoke somehow manage to continue their fairy tale run (come on you Potters!).

Youth Intake

View attachment 298509

Only one player worth mentioning here this year but he's yet another 5 star potential according to my coaches. With the recent upgrades to youth facilities hopefully I can bring these youngsters along quickly and start being more competitive on the national front.

Training Facilities

View attachment 298517

Another year, another upgrade and this time with no argument! Hopefully the board continues to be this supportive in the future.

National Team Results

View attachment 298522

A good friendly draw against Israel followed by a 0-2 defeat in Euro Qualifying has me hopeful that we can start being competitive sooner rather than later. My goal here is to have the team ready to at least make a statement in the next round of World Cup Qualifying (2026 WC) with a view to actually becoming competitive in 2030.

April 2019

View attachment 298562

Probably the worst month of the season for us, started off with consecutive 3-3 draws in games that we were leading into the dying minutes only to see the opposition equalize. Then came the big match away against Real Madrid and after going 1 up early I thought we might have a chance, but that was followed by the Spanish club's domination that scored them a 1-4 victory. We did rebound nicely with a 5-2 win over Vicenza then were much more respectable in the return leg against the defending Champions League champs though we were never going to overturn the deficit. That was followed by a lackluster performance in a 0-2 defeat to Fiorentina then finally a dominating display to close the month in a 3-0 victory over Udinese. I don't want to make excuses, but we were really struggling with injuries and suspensions this month to a good amount of our first team.

League Table

View attachment 298563

Only three games left on the year and with just one win we'll secure the league. With our recent performances I'm not overly optimistic but we really should have it wrapped up. With our two draws to start the month we did manage to ensure a return to Champions League football next season.

Squad

View attachment 298564

With three goals and three assists in the 7 games this month, Fabbrini once again gets player of the month even though he's been consistent at best. Just seems that no one else wanted to show up much other than Ogaga who has at least been consistent if not spectacular.

Champions League

With knocking us out of the competition, Real Madrid advances to the Semi Final in their defense of the title with Barcelona, Man City, and Arsenal the teams that will be hoping to spoil their fun.​

May 2019

View attachment 298694

Champions!!! We secured the title in a 2-0 win at home against Sqezia, then played a half-strength team against Genoa where the only positive was that Sammarinese youngster Boschetti bagged a goal. Then in the final game of the season I couldn't bring myself to play an under strength team because I wanted to end on a high and that we did with a superb 3-0 win over Lazio.

League Table

View attachment 298698

This is a sight I could get used to seeing! We really tore apart opposing defenses, scoring nearly 30 goals more than next-best Juventus. Our defense, especially towards the end, was leakier than I would have liked but I think that's down more to the style we play rather than the quality of players. Napoli, after finishing a lowly (for their standard) 10th last year bounces back and joins us and Juve in the Champions League next year after surprisingly winning the Euro Cup this year. Atalanta and Fiorentina make the Euro Cup, and despite finishing narrowly above the relegation zone Inter makes it as well by way of losing the Italian Cup final against Napoli.

Squad

View attachment 298699

It's hard to single one player out with so many having a good season, but Zmajla has been top class. It doesn't seem to matter who is up top with him, he'll feed them chance after chance and takes his chances well too. He also just lost out on being the highest rated player on average in Serie A by a margin of 0.01.

Serie A Team of the Year

View attachment 298702

There we go, 4 players- one for each level. I don't mind the bonuses paid (nearly $1M total) because they deserve it and the club's finances are fine anyway.

Around Europe

Man City won the title in England, followed by Chelsea, Liverpool, then Man U to round out next year's ECC representatives. Stoke rebounded from their early season struggles to place 5th, Arsenal 6th, and the biggest surprise in 7th is Huddersfield.

As I mentioned, Napoli won the Euro Cup by defeating Athletic Bilbao 4-3. Winning the Champions League for the first time since 2011 (despite playing in three finals in between) was Barcelona in a penalty win over Man City.​

Super! Serie A champions in 2019 is truly a fantastic result, plus you're starting to produce some promising SM prospects. It is now a matter of patience, I'm sure in 4-5 years the NT is going to look really interesting.

Nice too see the Potters recovering from a poor start too league too get into europe again, how badly did we lose too Barce and did Messi manage too do it at the Brit (lets face it only way we will ever know)

Was hoping we would get a Stoke v San Marino semi final but suppose have wait another time :p.

congratz on the league title though which I suppose atm is probably more important as this can help you stamp your dominance on Italian club football for the next 20-30 years lol

As for the National team was wondering have you been struggling get your young players called up for the team, well those that have dual nationality with Italy that is.

Super! Serie A champions in 2019 is truly a fantastic result, plus you're starting to produce some promising SM prospects. It is now a matter of patience, I'm sure in 4-5 years the NT is going to look really interesting.

Yeah, I've surprised myself with how quickly I was able to top Italy, was hoping to do it in 10 years and am delighted to have done it in the 7th. Now it's just a matter of staying in the top 3 year in and year out and crossing my fingers come youth intake time!

Nice too see the Potters recovering from a poor start too league too get into europe again, how badly did we lose too Barce and did Messi manage too do it at the Brit (lets face it only way we will ever know)

Was hoping we would get a Stoke v San Marino semi final but suppose have wait another time :p.

congratz on the league title though which I suppose atm is probably more important as this can help you stamp your dominance on Italian club football for the next 20-30 years lol

As for the National team was wondering have you been struggling get your young players called up for the team, well those that have dual nationality with Italy that is.

Stoke did well in the first leg at home but still lost 1-2. Messi did score on the return leg but it was Neymar (who surprisingly remained at Santos until 2017 before moving to Barca) and his two goals that did them in in a 1-4 loss. It's going to be tough to get up to par with the top 6 or 7 teams in Europe. I'm just glad that Serie A, apart from maybe Juve, don't seem nearly as competitive as Spain, Germany, France, or England's top leagues.

My two most promising players who are eligible to play competitively on the international stage are still rejecting my call-ups. Hopefully it's just a matter of a year or two before they give up hope playing for Italy. I'll do a more thorough update next on the youth and how they're progressing as I finally have some players that I feel are worth keeping close tabs on.

Last edited:
This is brilliant, congrats on your league win, I will be looking forward to next season and i thought your friendly draw against israel was very good. Who knows you might be able to get to the champions league final next year with some new signings. ^^)

The Road So Far...
(Cue the Kansas/Zeppelin/Skynrd epic)

Here I have compiled a side by side comparison of how the Sammarinese youth over the years have developed, as well as adding a new face or two that I haven't mentioned in the past. I wanted to do this number one because I feel like though I've brought the club up this far the real challenge is just beginning. I've never really had a lot of luck developing youngsters that come through the club ranks before and it goes without saying that I'll need to figure it out to have any shot of completing the challenge. Number two, in looking at these players you'll be seeing a lot of faces that comprise the national team already, and though the majority might not ever be in the first team for the club they have an important part to play over the next few years for the national team. Number three, this is going to give me a single place to more accurately compare the true progress they've made over time rather than checking in occasionally and seeing how they've developed in the last month.

And here I am, already rattling on longer than I was meaning to.

Andrea Bacciocchi
View attachment 298820View attachment 298821
Slow and steady development, but one of the few regens that's been with the club since the beginning (2012) and now a mainstay in the national team. The last 4 years have opened his eyes to the trials and tribulations of real life, causing his natural expression to tighten with angst. Miraculously he still manages to curl his hair in the exact same way he had four years previously.

Angelo Righi
View attachment 298823View attachment 298824
Another that's been around since the beginning, decent progress mentally and physically, though his technical attributes have always been worrisome. I accidentally let his contract expire, but he'll be back again next year to hopefully go out on loan. Those curls look eerily familiar...

Carmine Sabatino
View attachment 298826View attachment 298827
Being plagued by injuries and a poor development hasn't stopped this lad from having a more positive outlook on life, witnessed by his lips actually parting in a wider smile than previously.

Christian Ceccoli
View attachment 298829
For some reason this lad was only rated as a .5 star potential during youth trials, the reason I didn't include him in the last youth intake update, but after signing him it jumped to 3.5 stars.

Corrado Podeschi
View attachment 298830View attachment 298831
Nice development for his position, getting time with the national team and some decent time out on loan.

Daniele Sanchi
View attachment 298833
Leaving out his previous screen because his attributes haven't actually increased numerically yet. Still a 5 star potential, hopefully he can develop into a great player for the future at both the national and the club level. Is it just me or is he already going gray?

Federico Ceccoli
View attachment 298835View attachment 298836
One of the more promising players, he's still rejecting my call ups to the national team. He spent last season on loan with Vicenza who were relegated from Serie A.

Luca Zafferani
View attachment 298839View attachment 298840
Has been developing nicely for his age and already picked up 5 caps in senior friendlies. He's done well on the youth side, though his slightly psychotic look has only been enhanced by his "smile".

Massimiliano Valli
View attachment 298843View attachment 298844
Eh. This is who I'll probably have to go with short term if I can't get Ceccoli to accept a call up.

Pierluigi Aliotta
View attachment 298845View attachment 298846
Not much to work with in the winger department so this kid is the future there until a better regen comes along.

Stefano Boschetti
View attachment 298847View attachment 298848
One of the few Sammarinese that I've given first team time with the club and it's paying tremendous dividends. He's the one other that continuously rejects my call ups, but in my opinion is the most promising of the bunch so hopefully that doesn't last long.

Stefano Fabbri
View attachment 298852View attachment 298853
Another who's been plagued by injuries and his development is paying for it.

Stefano Gualtieri
View attachment 298854View attachment 298855
The plan was (and still is) to train him into a winger, however a long term injury set his development back and caused my coaches' opinion of his potential to drop.​

This is brilliant, congrats on your league win, I will be looking forward to next season and i thought your friendly draw against israel was very good. Who knows you might be able to get to the champions league final next year with some new signings. ^^)

Thanks man, appreciate it! I'll probably be spending a great deal of time scouring the game for the best bargains that can help me achieve Champions League success as that's naturally the next goal I'm aiming for with the club.

You have done wonders on this game, i have tried to, but have had little success with this challenge or fm13 in general as i just dont have a clue on how to set up tactics and keep them varied enough for the computer not to be familiar and therefore start losing every game, i have restarted the game numerous times all ending been sacked at the bottom of the league, any help on tactics would be great, i have looked on the beginners guide but that has only resulted in more losses.