awsm13

Reaction score
Sassuolo have a surprisingly strong squad for a newly promoted side and this was why i chose them.

The tactic i use is one i use for every Serie A side I chose to manage, with slight role changes depending on the team. For Sassuolo this is what I came up with for season 1.

(Just realised I forgot to post my season 1 Sassuolo tactic -_- its called "5-4-1 sas")

View attachment 440332View attachment 440339

For the second season, I managed to sign up some real quality players (love those free transfers) and changed the player roles slightly with with two variations depending on who is fit.

View attachment 440331View attachment 440340

The formation is both solid defensively and great going forward. The fluidity and fast build up play allows this to be an effective counter attacking tactic, while the short passing and "work into box" mentality allows for patient build up when necessary.

For players in any position i always prioritise good determination and work rate stats, this way when you concede early or late on your players will still fight for the win.

Generally speaking, this tactic is rather player role flexible but I always have a ball winning midfielder in the team.

In implementing this tactic to a team I start with the fluidity at "fluid" and I unselect "roam from positions" from the team instructions.

Additionally, if you are having a hard time breaking the opposition down change the team instruction from "exploit middle" to "exploit the flanks". Or if you are searching for a late goal go for the classic "overload" mentality, unselecting "exploit middle", "shorter passing", "play out of defence", "push higher up", and "higher tempo", and go for the "take more risks" and "more disciplined".

For Corners this is what i go for:

View attachment 440330View attachment 440329

for all my teams i generally stick with these corner tactics.

for free kicks i just aim for best header of the ball with in swinging crosses and hope for the best, with one of my tall players challenging the keeper.

Pre-Season training:
View attachment 439572

This training set up allows the team to familiarise with the formation.

In-Season:
View attachment 439571

you could change the focus to defensive positioning if you are facing a stronger opponent away from home, or if you are having trouble scoring from open play change it to Attacking positioning. Otherwise I generally stick to teamwork.

Opposition instructions:

This is very straight forward.

Close down: Players with low (<10) composure or have good (>13) long shots. If I am playing at home I usually close down the opposition's slow defenders

Hard tackle: Players with low bravery or high aggression.

Tight mark: The opposition playmaker or lone striker. Conversely, never tight mark players with over 16 pace.

Show onto weaker foot: Effective for Wide players who like to cut inside to their stronger foot (i.e Robben) or any opposition with who are greatly weaker on one foot.

This is applicable to any tactic, for any team, at any level.

Last edited:
Facing a series of 5 very hard games, I decided to give it a try and here are the results :

- Stade de Reims 3-1 AS Monaco
- Bordeaux 0-1 Stade de Reims
- Stade de Reims 2-0 Paris Saint-Germain
- Stade de Reims 0-1 Juventus
- Toulouse FC 0-0 Stade de Reims

We deserved more against Juventus & Toulouse so I hope this is just a start. After many hours of headaches on 14.2, maybe you've found THE ONE ! Thx mate.

Yea, used it in 14.2. Oddly enough I have used the same tactic since fm12, just changes in instructions and roles.

I let my assistant do the training now, but i make sure that their tactical coaching is good. But pre-season the general training will be balanced and for match training i focus on teamwork. Later on I change the match prep to attacking movement or defensive positioning depending on how i'm doing.

I'm still researching effective training methods though.

wow, those are some good results man.. I've only ever tried this tactic with italian clubs and Real Sociedad, so this is some great insight.

Did you change up the player roles? how did you score your goals?

Most of them came from the three guys upfront except 1 goal scored by my CWB and 1 goal scored by a CB on corner. I like the fact that so far it seems very solid defensively (Juventus scored on a corner at the very end of the game). No changes in the player roles but maybe I will because I'm not fully satisfied with some of them.

Most of them came from the three guys upfront except 1 goal scored by my CWB and 1 goal scored by a CB on corner. I like the fact that so far it seems very solid defensively (Juventus scored on a corner at the very end of the game). No changes in the player roles but maybe I will because I'm not fully satisfied with some of them.

Yeah, I generally change the roles depending on which players are fit but I always try to keep a ball winning midfielder on and always have at least one playmaker.

You could also try too exploit the flanks if you have a tall striker or have fast wing backs. Or if you are chasing a goal you can unselect "play out of defense" and "shorter passing".

Champions with sassullo in first season?

Yea. Sassuolo has a good squad for the Serie A, especially with the players they get on loan in the first season. I only needed to get some free signings to shore things up at the start.

I only won the league due to Juventus loosing their last match though.

I've made a few changes. I've introduced a false 9 since Knockaert isn't a real striker and also put a defensive midfield to fully exploit Guilavogui or Krychowiak.

Hmmm.. I tried to use a DM with this formation but it didnt work out so well. You could change to a 3-1-4-2 instead with the same team and player instructions. Since you want a DM just move the left central midfielder into the DM role then move the Right AM into midfield and move your wing backs into wide the wide midfield roles (so you don't have to change the player instructions).

Although I think it is better just to train them to play as a CM. Thats what I did with Luca Marrone.

Btw, Knockaert is a great signing. I tend to always buy him. He should be a decent false 9, but perhaps playing Courtet as an Advanced forward would be good too. Allowing Knockaert to play as an Enganche or Attacking Midfielder.

But you seem to be getting good results so just do your thing.

Last edited:
can i copy player instrutions from right wingback to the left one?

can i copy player instrutions from right wingback to the left one?

You can. I just made the player instructions as such because of the players i have in my team. My right wingbacks are stronger then my left so I gave the ones on the left slightly more defensive instructions.

Very similar to what I've been working on for a while now :D I'm also getting some wonderful results, I might upload it later on if you want to see it.

Very similar to what I've been working on for a while now :D I'm also getting some wonderful results, I might upload it later on if you want to see it.

Cool. Go ahead lets see that formation

well, this certainly aint working for me, getting run over by opposing teams (i'm playing as valencia against real madrid)

well, this certainly aint working for me, getting run over by opposing teams (i'm playing as valencia against real madrid)

Hmm.. I'll have to check that out. have you only used it for one match?

i must admit i did, but still i'm getting no chances on goal what so ever, keep losing possetion on midfield..

Altough it just could be the fact that its vs real madrid.. but my team isn't weak..

First game with my Atalanta save. Was working with a similar Attacking/Very Fluid Mazzarri 3-3-2-1-1 tactic and having some success (Draws away at Milan and Juve) but this seems more solid defensively and we were very clinical in attack whereas I was having some issues with missing lots of CCC's and my SS getting a bit lost. Granted Consigli had an 8.3 but they only missed one clear cut chance (the rest of their shots were long range pot shots) and the tactci is only half fluidity . Their goal was a horrific mistake by my left CB, got to love the 14.2 patch

View attachment 440223

Second game and another respectable result, Higuain missed a sitter but then so did Dybala so a fair result. Will test till the end of the season and keep reporting back. Cagliari next who are top of the league, unbelievably.
View attachment 440209