Welcome to FM Base
Want access to our Standard Logo Megapack and P20 kit packs? You know what to do!
Register

Saving/Missing Penalties

fmguy

May 25, 2009
This is no exaggeration from me. I haven't seen one penalty saved/missed in normal time since I've been playing FM and I've been playing the game in total for around 50 hrs + and of course using different teams. The only time I have ever seen a penalty saved is either during a penalty shootout or if I miss one. My goalie never seems to be able to save a penalty. I've been playing with Casillas so as you can tell he ain't the worst keeper around and other top class keepers. Anyone else with this problem.

Luke

Amateur
Apr 15, 2009
i have had a few of mine saved, but i dont think i have ever saved another team's penalty

cmh9090

Jan 24, 2009
robert green saved a penalty for me in a game against tottenham at white hart lane and we went on to win 2-0. im west ham btw, though thats the only penalty which my keeper has saved so far :D

Dec 8, 2009
Well , i had the same problem but i thought it was cuz Cech is so bad at savin them, i'll be lucky if i get one save in a shootout

noobito

Mar 5, 2009
In 6 seasons i think my keepers have saved 6 spot kicks at the most, My keepers NEVER dive for them and the only time i have seen them saved is when its hit straight down the middle, Had a few saved myself but even that is a low number.Quite a few are put wide but if its on target and at either side of my keeper its scored.

I dont mind really as it seems to be the same when taking them, Any side of the keeper and its a goal and in all 6 seasons so far i have had the most spot kicks so while its annoying that the keepers dont seem to dive its pretty much a goal everytime i get a spot kick myself.

Chris

Who needs Ba; we got Best
Jun 17, 2009
Steve Harper is awesome at saving penalties. He saves 1 in 3 generally, which is class for a keeper.

Redrup

One Nerdy Gamer
Jan 10, 2009
I rarely save them to be honest, and when my players take them they sometimes just hit it right at the opposing keeper. ****** me off.

Jamie F

Surprise *****!
Jun 16, 2009
I'm playing as Wolves at the moment, I have got 4 penalties and haven't scored any of them, at the other end Hennesey has stopped 1 out of 2. I have Maiherhofer and Milijas taking my penalties but nothing gives

taida

Powerful Striker
Nov 23, 2009
It's all down to luck. Sometimes, a guy with a 20 Penalty Taking attribute may miss a penalty, or have it saved. In saying that, a guy with a 1 attribute in the same field may never miss. Can't put it to attributes alone :)

Lewis

just lost the game
Jul 27, 2009
For some reason, if i put a player that has sensational penalty taking stats, he always misses :S

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Like Jamie, you say you have mairhofer taking yours, and he's a 20/20 for penalties if I am correct?

Jamie F

Surprise *****!
Jun 16, 2009
Yea Maierhofer has 20 for penalties and Milijas has 16.
Another thing I have noticed (this is on the demo btw) players with rubbish long shot stats score screamers all the time. Damien Plessis from Liverpool has a long shot stat of 4. He scored both goals in a 2-1 against my Wolves both from outside the box. The amount of games I have lost from long range shots is getting ridiculous now

Deano

Deuce
Nov 3, 2009
My players never miss penalties so I'm very happy in that sense but I do agree about the longshots. Milijas will always score against me....ALWAYS.

Montanaro

May 27, 2009
I've seen a few saved or missed penalties. It's not common by any means, but it happens. I've never had a keeper with good penalty defending stats.

Btw even if your player has 20 penalty taking, his mental stats will influence his ability a lot. He may be good at nailing penalty's in practice or easy games, but in important games he could get nervous and miss.

pompeylad490

Dec 22, 2009
Ditto- the only missed penalty I've seen is Jamie Carragher in a penalty shoot-out against Man Utd in the Community Shield.

Piemaster

Nov 17, 2009
I really hope they fix this in the next patch. It's starting to ruin the immersion a bit for me, I haven't seen a single penalty missed or saved outside of a shootout. Seemed to work fine in all the previous incarnations of CM/FM I've played, so how did they manage to screw it up so badly?

Adix

Sep 3, 2009
Get this a lot yes and its annoying.

Steve Harper is awesome at saving penalties. He saves 1 in 3 generally, which is class for a keeper.
Errrr, Newcastle vs Mboro. Finished about 17-16 to Mboro with Harper as keeper.