Saving Scottish Football 2021

November

Fixtures
FIx.png

Two wins and a Rangers draw had us top of the table going into the international break. 2 Games later were 3 points off the top after Motherwell got a last minute winner and Rangers locked the back door in a game we dominated but somehow could put one away.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Celtic get back into the title race with the top two slipping up, no fun that pun without Stevie G

Europa League
Euroa.png

Take a look at this. WEre top and should be though if not for a sloppy goal in the 88th minute from LEvekusen ensuring we go into the final day at home to Everton only needing a draw to go through. A win gives us a bye to the last 16

Scotland
Sco 1.png
Sco 2.png

November was all about letting a lead slip and internationally that was no different. We lost in Spain 4-2. Sad but not a disaster as we have the goal difference and head-to-head lead. The second match in Switzerland was where it went wrong. Behind 2-0 we fought back to level it with half an hour to go. WE pushed but the Swiss countered and got their 3rd goal. WE pulled it back in the 94th minute but it was win or bust for the top spot and now we have to go through the playoffs

Norway first then the winner of Wales and Romania stand in our way of the World Cup finals.
Sco playoff.png

November

So heartbreaking i posted it twice. Sorry, everyone!

Last edited:

December

Fixtures
Fix.png

In a get right game with Hibs bot of our strikers scored a hattrick. Then we may as well taken our winter break as we were gash for the last 3 games against the league's worst 3 teams. Only a last-minute winner from McLennan at Hamilton saved any sort of face from this dire run.

SPL Table
SPL.png

The old firm derby draw was the best thing that could have happened. It keeps Rangers insight while keeping Celtic just off our tails. A regroup in the break is as needed as ever. Hibs hire Derek McInnes for the sacked Jack Ross.

Europa League
europa.png

With PSV beating Bayern we only needed a draw at home to Everton but Calvert-Lewin destroyed us and we miss out on the bye but are still in the last 32 so amazingly European football after Christmas for Aberdeen. Rangers reach the last 16 by winning their group but Celtic fall out of Europe altogether finishing bottom of their Champions League group.

Last 32
Aberdeen Vs Ajax
europa last 32 draw.png

January

Fixtures
FIX.png

We make a great start to the next year. Thrashing Hibs then 3 wins and 3 clean sheets to round out the month. Celtic is the only black mark where we lost and deserved to lose.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Rangers take their chance to stretch their lead at the top to 9 points with a game in hand. Celtic are right on our tails while 4th to 12th is split by 8 points.

Transfer Window
Scottish transfers.png

Celtic spend big to try and make it 11 in a row. Long way back from here especially without their best player and the best youth prospect. Rangers swap Hagi for Morutan.

Aberdeen Transfer Window
Ab transfers.png

Out
Greg Leigh
is the man player leaving but was down to 3rd choice LB so no way i could keep paying him first-team wages. Connor Barron and Dean Campbell were not improving despite getting first-team football and with 5 MCs in the u19s there is plenty of potential backups I'd rather give time to.

In

in 1.png

in 2.png
in 3.png

Three u19 CB's join for under £50k total. Arrey-Mbi is already making strides with the first team. The others are long term projects.​

February

Fixtures
FIxture.png

It started off in the worst possible way with a defeat at home to Kilmarnock. No idea what happened on that day we just were not firing. IT was all forgotten with the 2-0 win at Ibrox where we bossed Rangers handing them their first defeat in over 20 games. Wins over Motherwell and Hibs ensured the gap didn't change to the leaders. Raith and Hearts caused no issues in the Scottish Cup. Celtic in back to back weekends in April will be another story.

SPL Table
SPL.png

10 points between the top 3. Rangers have a big lead but 1 clumsy result and an Old Firm loss and it's all on! Hamilton in 4th is still far from safe from relegation as insane as that sounds

managers.png

St Johnstone nick my U19 manager. Stuart McCall's back at Motherwell
This Stewart McCall

Europa Leauge First Knock Out round

1st leg
Ajax 0-1 Aberdeen
europa 1.png

Our Jose style with everyone behind the ball set up worked a treat as we kept Ajax the better team at bay for 90 minutes and take a valuable away goal and win back to Pittodrie.

2nd Leg
Aberdeen 2-3 Ajax

Aberdeen 3-3 Ajax AGG - Ajax wins on away goals.
europa 2.png

This was heartbreaking. It felt like i watched a dangerous attack every 2 minutes but the goals were just not coming. Ok, We scored two but in no way deserved to lose this match. On the plus side this run has brought in a shedload of cash for the club that hopefully, i may get to spend next season.

Unlucky defeat there against Ajax mate! Hopefully Rangers slip up and you can take the league, best of luck!

March

Fixtures
FIx.png

We had 5 of the easiest matches in the league and i expected to take 5 wins. We got 4 and I'll take that

SPL Table
SPL.png

The reason i took the dropped points is that Rangers were dropping points for fun with the split 1 game away the gaps down to 4 points and we have ourselves a 3-way title battle. Rangers vs Celtic vs Leigh Griffiths

Scotland

Norway 1-0 Scotland
Scotland.png

We lose the first playoff round and will not be going to Qatar 2022. Worrying that I've missed 2 tournaments through the **** playoffs​

Title Run-in

Match 33
Aberdeen 3-3 Celtic
match 33.png

Don't know if it should be gutted we let a 2 goal lead slide or that we saved a point. A draw is the fair result and Rangers are drawing with 11th place Ross County so a missed opportunity for us two.

Match 34
Rangers 3-2 Aberdeen
match 34.png

Just like last season when we had the chance to stop the league leaders we were given the runaround. 3-2 is far closer than it looked. Celtic jump us too so a drop to 3rd place is on the cards if we can't beat them in the return match.

Match 35
Hamilton 1-4 Aberdeen
match 35.png

No drama as all 3 of the title rivals wins by at least 3 goals.

Match 36
Celtic 0-0 Aberdeen
match 36.png

We had to win and dominated the game but somehow did not score. Of course, Rangers dropped 2 points on this day as well but too little to late for us as our title battle ends. Rangers just need a draw at home to Hamilton to win the league with almost a 20 goal swing in goal difference.

Match 37
Aberdeen 1-1 Kilmarnock
match 37.png

Nothing to play for on the final day as we run out of steam, Celtic win there game in the 93rd minute and Rangers beat Hamilton to secure the title.

Match 38
Aberdeen 1-0 Motherwell
match 38.png

Leigh Griffiths scored his 38 goal in the league to give us a win with a rested team on the final day. Celtic put Rangers on notice with a big win to get as close to the top spot as they have been all season. St Johnstone couldn't find the point to secure safety. Ross County will play Dundee Utd in the playoff.

Scottish Cup Semi
Celtic 1-1 Aberdeen
Aberdeen win 4-3 on penalties
cup semi final win.png

We went through 120 minutes and in the 5th penalty, Joe Lewis saved from Jessie Lingard to reach our first final. We'll play Rangers who beat Motherwell 2-0

Scottish Cup Final 2022
Aberdeen 0-1 Rangers

final.png

Rangers edged the game and probably deserved the win. We had our chances mostly after Rangers took the lead but just never looked like beating the best team in the country this season.

Season 2 Review

Aberdeen Squad
squad.png
squad2.png

Our captain Joe Lewis is my no1! Joe Lewis is almost 35 years old. We have an issue this summer. If i can buy a replacement i will have to cahs in. HUGE IF
3 of the back 4 is set for the future. Not totally sold on Cameron Harper at LB but the two Bayern CBs are naturally awesome with Bright Arrey-Mbi immediately one of the league's best CBs. Ramsey and Morrisons have Scotland squad potential as a floor
Midfield needs some work, Ferguson is ok but not improving, just like FM20. McCrorie is a locked-in starter but i kid not we have 3 u18's that could compete with Ferguson for the starting spot next season. Both wings need upgrading. Hedges and Kennedy are good for back up but we need to get better. Ryan Duncan was so impressive in the u18s he got a run starting but came undone after 3 great games so not certain about him long term just yet.
No need to guess who was our star player. Leigh Griffiths was even better than in FM20 always shows up in the SPL. Starting to decline now he's 31 but safe to say he's starting up top next season. He'll have a new partner in Lawrence Shankland who left Dundee Utd on a free. We still might add another forward with Hanratty missing too much time injured and Mason Rodgers not learning how to shoot.

My Player of the Year
Leigh Griffiths
player of the year griff.png

Its not possible to break the club and league scoring record and take the European golden boot in a single season and not win player of the year. Griffiths goals made us feel like a much better team that can challenge the stronger old firm teams. At 31 this may be his peak but it won't stop us going for 50 goals next term.

SPL Table
spl.png

It looks closer than it was. Celtic were by far the best team in the second half when Rangers stuttered a few times. As a base for next season, it could be an exciting year if we all stay close, or even better if we kick on and they don't. Only Europa League at best this season for us after only getting as high as 3rd. Hamilton stun the world to finish 4th and Motherwell join them in Europe. St Johnstone goes down thanks to Hibs hiring Derek McInnes and Ross County is the only other side on their level.

Play-Off
Ross County 2-1 Dundee Utd
Play off.png

Oli Shaw saves the County. Shame as I'd like both of these teams in the top flight but no complaints about Falkirk securing back to back promotions to return to the top flight. They're going to get murdered!

Rankings
coefficants.png

We stay 13th but had a good year. Only Greece had a better season outside the top 8 countries. While we overachieved Rangers got to the last 16 of the Europa League which would be the minimum you would expect while Celtic's awful Champions League campaign cost us all a shed load of points.​

Aberdeen Season 3
Pre Season 2022/23

Season Targets

SPL - Title Challenge
Scottish Cup - Win a trophy
League Cup - ^
Champions League - Europe after Christmas

Minus the cup win, this is exactly what we did last season. The squad has not improved leaps and bound so the minimum i expect is a title challenge. We came so near to winning the Scottish Cup i can only hope we can get a run in either this season to finally lift a trophy. In Europe, it all depends on the group draw, doesn't it?

Pre Season Prices
odds.png

The defending champions are favorites as they deserve to be with Celtic right on their tails after finishing strongest last season. The Dons ate 51/1 again. Everyone pound the bookies! Falkirk is not far off Livingston in the favorites to go down odds. Amazing when you look at the Falkirk squad!

Transfer Window
SPL Transfers.png

Celtic do what Celtic do. Make giant profits. Sign a top Argentine wing-back with some of the money. Rangers steal my future No1 from Venezuela

Aberdeen Transfers
ABZ transfers.png

A Very poor window for the Dons. We tried so many different players, i definitely have been in for over 100 players I'd save we've had over 50 offers accepted but bigger teams keep taking from us, and the work permits. Those **** work permits. Even with those moans, we broke the club transfer record and i regret doing so instantly.

In

Lawrence Shankland - ATT
IN Shankland.png

OK, Mr McInness I'll make up for your biggest transfer flop and bring Shankland home. WIth Griffiths almost 32 we need a striker that will take over in the next few seasons and for the first time possibly ever we got to the post "Scottish teams release players list" and by god, there is an international striker. How did i miss that in January and why did everyone else. Either way, hie's ours now and at an utter bargain of a wage too.

Jeando Fuchs - MC?
in fuchs.png

The right wing-back is just as good in the middle of the park which is where he'll play along with Rosco & Ferguson. HE was playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football!

That's all so far. Still, a month to go so will be working on wingers and wing backs since I'm happy with the rest of the team. For now

Every other penny went of future players. 11 Of them in total. I'll post the best 3 the rest will be in the youth update. Spoiler. Non-league looks to be a gold mine.​
YOuth 1.png
YOuth 2.png
YOuth 3.png

Loans
loan1.png
loan2.png

Two loans. Matej Kovar was supposed to be replacing Joe Lewis till the board told me he won't be leaving for less than £60m! After this window, we won't get £600k! SO this looks like a waste of a loan unless something back happens to our captain. Harvey Elliot on the other hand is a superstar and will be one of the best players in the league. A huge upgrade on Patrick Roberts from the last term.

Out
We got some business done but not as much as i hoped we would. Richard Nartey down to 5th choice CB last season was the main sale. Middlesboro overpaid here. Amari Bell probably should have been resigned but with 12 months left, i thought I'd turn the free signing into cash. If i cant get someone in soon i will live to regret that. D McGeouch moves on to allow our pile of u19s a chance in the 1st team with new boy Fuchs. McLennan, Ruth, and Ngwenya were never destined for the first team so cashed in now rather than lose them for nothing in 12 months' time.

Aberdeen Squad
ABZ squad 1.png

ABZ squad 2.png

We've come on leaps and bounds from last year. That center back pairing is sexy! Shankland, Elliot, and Fuchs great additions.

Youths
ABZ youth.png

This looks like it could be the SPL's answer to the busby babes or the class of 92. It's what i always aspire to build but is so much harder in the Brexit era.

Europa League
euro draw. EH.png

Brondby or Larnaces stand between us and the group phase.​

Last edited:

August

Fixtures
fix.png

A win a draw and a defeat could easily have been 3 defeats. WE have made an utterly miserable start to the league and our cup win was only thanks to a 91st minute Griffiths winner.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Rangers are our next opponents and they and Celtic look to be in imperious form.

Europa League Play-Off
Aberdeen 4-3 AEK Larnacas
Euro playoff.png

It was far closer than i would have liked but with the injuries and adversities, I'm just happy we made it to the group phase.

Europa League Group
Euro gropu.png

Were still only 4th seeds but the draw felt a bit fairer this year. We'll see if I'm saying that in December.

Transfer Window

Aberdeen
ABZ transfers.png

We finally get a few foreign players a work permit and we now have a packed squad with 5 more joinings in August with only one loan out we won't worry about Lee O'Conner as he's an emergency loan from Celtic that may never play

Ayrton Cougo - ML
In ayrton.png

Wonder who inspired his first name? Left wing was heavy on players but short on talent. The Uruguayan solves that and he will be an instant starter especially in the big games where his stats are a major step up on the rest of the boys

Maxime Poundje - DL
In Moundje DL.png

Cameron Harper is our hope for the future but is not ready for the big games. Poundje is not a huge upgrade but if nothing else we can turn him for a profit in a season or two's time

Patrick Roberts - MR
In paddy roberts.png

After 4 rejections we finally got an outrageously over talented backup winger in Patrick Roberts. Signed up till 2025 he could leave for a mega fee if everything pans out.

Leider Mayorga - ATT
IN Leider Mayorga.png

My scouts have been out there scouring the world for the past 6 months and this was literally the only player they found that was decent and cost less than £3m! Has the making of a great player if he can find some pace. His price is a free shot as he's already just about SPL quality

Scotland
Scotland.png

A big win against Montenegro but we got a red card too early in Slovakia who we now tie for with the top spot. Two games in October could see us take a playoff spot.​

September

Fixtures
Fix.png

Aberdeen are back! We almost nicked a win at home to Rangers where we were the better team but a late equalizer keeps Rangers top. St Mirren then put on the match of the decade candidate. Every time we went 2 goals clear they pulled it back to one but we finally got the win that we were desperate for. The reserves and backups beat Inverness with Hanratty scoring 4 of them and giving us another headache in squad selection.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Rangers lost to Hearts after dropping points at Pittodrie and we are now just 2 points behind the champions as Celtic hit the top and Hearts and Motherwell both make amazing starts to the season.

Europa League
EUropa 1.png
EUropa 2.png

Busy month in Europe. Kicked off with as dominating a 1-0 win as i can remember at home to Malmo before we had our second magic moment in the save with Spanish opposition. Villarreal was thumping us in the first 20 minutes before aged former Arsenal midfielder Francis Coquelin got sent off and Lauwrance Shankland went bananas after 1 goal in his first 7 games he scored a hattrick in the La Ceramica as the game did a total 360 and we get a stunning 4-0 win. Reality came back when we traveled out to Portugal and a former foe in Odsonne Edouard scored both goals as we lost our first game.​

October

Fixtures
Fix.png

A very merry domestic month where we thrash Falkirk twice and Ross County before holding Celtic to a draw. Some day we'll get an old firm win again. Kilmarnock fought hard for a point but thankfully we go into the world cup break with a win.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Were basically 1/4 of the way through and the top 3 contenders are pulling clear at the top with 2 defeats between us three. Falkirk at the other end has done great to get 6 points. That goal difference, however!

Europa League
Europa 1.png
Europa 2.png

After an inspired win at home to Sporting in the return leg and then thrashing Malmo in Sweden after a scare when the equalized we were destined for the top spot and a place right into the last 32. I didn't realize this since i was rushing to get this done with my darling children hanging around so we played a strong team and lost our last game till late December with the world cup incoming

Scotland
Scotland.png

What on earth went down on matchday 5. Scotland utterly shat the bed with the worst result by a mile in my time in charge. Even worse Slovakia also lost and had opened the door for us winning the group but we failed in the most embarrassing fashion. We beat Bosnia in the last game to save some face and maybe top spot.​

2022 World Cup
England 0-1 Brazil
braxil win wc.png

Brazil is the world champions for a 6th time thanks to Neymar's goal in the 6th minute. Senegal was the upset hero's of this world cup 20 years on from their miracles in the 2002 world cup.

The big offers come in but i stay loyal!
offers.png

Euro 2024 Draw
scotland euro 2024 quali. uh ho.png

Can't see us getting out of this group!​

January

Fixtures
FIX.png

Since we returned from the World cup at the end of December we've been on a spectacular run with 7 wins from 8 games all quite comfortable too. The only blotch was of course Rangers. WE first lost 1-0 at Ibrox in the lead before they humiliated us in the league cup semi-finals at Hampden. It perfectly sums up the first 3 years of the save and to be fair my life supporting Aberdeen. Very positive signs from playing the smaller teams, however. If we can turn it around against the Old FIrm we may be in the title hunt for real.

SPL
SPL.png

Not that we are not in the fight already. 5 points off leader Celtic and Rangers just one ahead. The only problem seems to be getting the result against those two sides. Hearts have traditionally fallen away as the non-top 3 sides do. Falkirk on 9 points are still not dead yet. Hanratty may have taken Griffith's starting spot too as he leads the SPL for goals. A tough decision once Leigh is back from injury.

Transfer Window
SPL transfers.png

SPL
DOns transfers.png

St Mirren had a £5m midfielder! The former VIlla man doesn't look that Special but always nice to see the other teams get a payday. Rangers sold Colley their best CB but replacement Christian Calderon is no donkey. Celtic sign a Danish forward that been ripping up the Norwegian league with Rosenborg. Could it be Henrik Larsson 2.0 or Harald Brattbakk 2.0

Aberdeen

The plan was to use the Europa League profits to sign some a handful of free's from South America. Liam Morrison ensured that was only the beginning.

In
Radovan Pankov - DC
in pankov.png

Morrisons the past Pankov is our future. With a fight on 3 fronts, i had to replace him with a player at least on his level with the quality of our defense not being great.

Fabio Pina - DR
in Pina.png

Calvin Ramsey's future at the clubs in question. Like Morrison big teams are in for him. Unlike Morrison, he has no buy out clause and we have him under lock and key for 3 more years. I planned for him to be with me as long as i was at Aberdeen since we started together but with bids approaching £9m, my resolve is getting tested. Pina since he's not been mentioned is the best youth player I've picked up in the game so far and it is not close!

Jaminton Campaz - MC
in campaz.png

The best player sitting on the free market was Columbian international Campaz. How he agreed to join us is a miracle. He will one day make us a ridiculous return on the few thousand-pound signing on fee he cost me.

Deinner Quinones - ML
in quinteros.png

At this point, nothing else seemed to be happening so i went all in to get Campaz's running mate Quinones to play on the left-wing. Wish i hadn't paid up for Cougo in the summer but i'm sure he'll net us a profit in the summer.

Out

Liam Morrison is the headline maker Unwilling to renegotiate his £10m minimum fee in November it was clear i was about to lose the soon to be Scotland International. Man City however has massively overpaid and this sale will enable us to sign even better youth players next summer as well and vastly improve our squad now. Hedges and Kennedy had first been usurped of starting jobs by our summer signings but now the u19s are at their level so no point in paying them to hold up our kid's development. Club captain Joe Lewis left for £400k less than i could have got in the summer if the board were not asleep.​

February

Fixtures
Fix.png

We rattled off 5 good wins by a couple of goals but two devastating defeats got the month off to a terrible season altering charges. The defeat at Celtic was deserved and with European games coming up we need to look at our underdog tactic. We then had an abysmal collapse at Hamilton in the Scottish Cup ending our hopes of a cup trophy. I'm amazed that 3 years in and still no trophy from 6 domestic cup competitions.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Little change in the top 3, the only 3 in positive goal differences as we had a run in the month with little or no European football.​

March

Fixtures
fix.png

WE BREAK THE OLD FIRM CURSE to start the month by beating Rangers. We then end the month losing to lead leaders Celtic. Sandwiched between these parallel results were 6 wins from 6 as we bossed the other teams in the league. We will instantly get Celtic once again this time at Parkhead and this time it is MUST WIN.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Even if we can win out 5 remaining games and Rangers beat Celtic too we still would need help from someone else to finally win a title. Not a failure by any means we only need another 4 points to beat our best season ever, Celtic need the same to set a new highest points in our time in the save. Even bigger news at the bottom as Falkirk are off the bottom. Livingston has sacked their manager in a desperate bid to add to their 2 wins so far.

Europa League Last 16
Aberdeen 2-0 Dynamo Kyiv
euro match.png

The first two stages of the knockouts were only 1 leg but we got the job done comfortably seeing off the Ukrainians with goals from the two men in the middle.

Quarter-Final Draw
Marseille vs Aberdeen
Europa draw.png

Probably the best draw we could have got and thanks to our cup exit we play the French side back in back games to start off the next update. In fact, we miss the best 4 teams on an improbable route to the final.

Scotland
SCO matches.png

The national make an expected winning start beating Albania 4-0 before setting a national and European qualifying record at San Marino.

The biggest stat of the day was Oli McBurnie who scored a double hattrick (6) and is the nation's new record scorer.
record scorer and how.png