Scoring a ton, But conceding a few too many at the same time.

No7Lukeee

Reaction score
Hey!

Just finished my first season with Liverpool, All in all it went well, We ended up winning the league quite comfortably. But I'm not overly satisfied, We were scoring an absolute ton and destroyed everyone on goals. But we also conceded far to many for my liking. A lot of them were wild over top punts that magically turn into a wonderful through ball some how. So anyone got any idea's on how I can tighten up the defense whilst maintaining our fire power?

Some screenshots -

League Table:
ZUBe7bj.jpg

Fixtures1:
GG0d7GV.jpg

Fixtures2:
myrmF3H.jpg

Tactic:
s88W7M5.jpg

Team Instructions:
CPkPH8F.jpg

As you can see, Both Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge tore the league to shreds. But my defence got torn too often in my opinion.

I tried playing a deeper line for the last couple games, Did well against Tottenham, Got a 1-0 win away at White Hart Lane but then lost back to back games against Crystal Palace and West Ham...

Feel free to ask if you need more information.

Thanks for any help, Appreciate it!

No midfielder to drop deep and hold position.

Hope many did you concede in the league? Doesn't show on that league table.

You reckon I should move the BWM back to Defensive midfield position?

Also, I conceded 45 in the league. All other top 6 teams including arch rivals Everton conceded less.

Who do you normally play there? Lucas? If so, DLP-D and when facing a team with an AMC you could go into his insturctions and get him to mark the amc.

Yeah, Lucas usually takes that role. But I was thinking of playing him as a Box to Box and starting Rossiter as the main BWM? And do you mean keep it in position it is but change roles? Or drop it to DM and change role to DLP-D?

DLP-D or CM-D tend to drop more deeper, a BWM-D won't really hold position as much but he'll close down a lot.

I'd maybe suggest removing the CD-C aswell if you play a high line and just stick with CD-D.

Hey :)
If u upload ur tactic or post screenshoots of ur player instructions I will have a look. Seems like u have a very good foundation for a great tactic, and in my experience the player instructions plays a massive role.

If youre conceding too many goals through long punts, perhaps just try selecting *drop deeper* in team instructions??

Offside trap i dont use either. Not sure whats the best way to utilise it?
Id presume having all your defence with high attributes in Intelligence and Positioning would be a good starT?

This is indeed a very good foundation for a tactic. I started messing with this yesterday with my Aston Villa side, mixing what you have done with what I've had success with earlier. It quickly turned into the best looking tactic I've had on this patch, not only in terms of goals, but defensive stability and quality of play. Only played 9 games so far, but got 8 wins and 1 draw, which includes games against sides like Spurs (a), Liverpool, Man Utd (a). Goal difference so far is 24-6. It's pretty much a Plug n play, as I've lineup the same in all games. I'm just hoping that it's not a freak run.

If you wanna have a go with it you can download it here.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that the left back gets isolated against the better sides that play an advanced winger. Otherwise it has looked solid.
View attachment 432621
Note: On corners the main scorers will be the near post flick on and the odd one from the guy set to stand on far post. That is set to be the CF-s and DLP respectivly, so change that to however you think will score from headers.

Last edited:
Hey :)
If u upload ur tactic or post screenshoots of ur player instructions I will have a look. Seems like u have a very good foundation for a great tactic, and in my experience the player instructions plays a massive role.

I was thinking of uploading it anyway, But the amount I conceded put me off. Might still upload it.

Thanks

If youre conceding too many goals through long punts, perhaps just try selecting *drop deeper* in team instructions??

As I said in the OP, I tried this, It went well for one game. Beat Tottenham 1-0 away from home but then lost consecutive games to Crystal Palace and West Ham.

This is indeed a very good foundation for a tactic. I started messing with this yesterday with my Aston Villa side, mixing what you have done with what I've had success with earlier. It quickly turned into the best looking tactic I've had on this patch, not only in terms of goals, but defensive stability and quality of play. Only played 9 games so far, but got 8 wins and 1 draw, which includes games against sides like Spurs (a), Liverpool, Man Utd (a). Goal difference so far is 24-6. It's pretty much a Plug n play, as I've lineup the same in all games. I'm just hoping that it's not a freak run.

If you wanna have a go with it you can download it here.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that the left back gets isolated against the better sides that play an advanced winger. Otherwise it has looked solid.
View attachment 471011
Note: On corners the main scorers will be the near post flick on and the odd one from the guy set to stand on far post. That is set to be the CF-s and DLP respectivly, so change that to however you think will score from headers.

Ha, Nice job buddy.

I'm just moved the BWM back to a DM slot and made him an Anchor Man my-self and I will test how it go's next season.

Well done though!

Alright, I'll still try to tweak it further as I'm very happy with where it's going.

There's an interesting thing happening with the anchor man being off to one side. Whenever he has possession and get's closed down it creates a lot of space for the AP against a few formations. Might be worth experimenting with ;)

Eple, tactic looks good.
Keep us updated with your season?
I may try this one as an alternative if my tactic gets found out

Sure, will do. I'll play out this season while tweaking, then see how it goes for a full season with a proper pre-season.

With ur tactic in mind ive also started a new save and changed bits and pieces here and there, and the results so far is quite amazing tbh.
I use ur formation with my own player settings for home games, and for away games and tougher games Ive moved the bvm down to a defensive midfielder(still with bvm role).

And keep in mind the tactics have only been fully gelled for the last few games.

View attachment 432564

Have to say im very pleased so far, but im pretty sure this tactic can be tweaked to be even better. So im going to keep working with it a bit more :)

Last edited:
Well done!

After a run out of form with 4(!) strikers suffering simultaneous goal droughts and opposition scoring a bunch from corners and long throws, I've gone back to the flat 3 center mid. It seems to create all sort of trouble and I'm back to scoring 3-4 goals pr game. I think I'll reserve the anchor man for a shut up shop tactic.

How have you set up the strikers, Treble? Benteke is the only one that seems to work as a CF-s, I suspect it's becouse he has the 'beat offside trap' PPM. So whenever he's out I'm playing a false nine, with mixed results.