Scotland Vs. Spain Thread

I feel sorry for him, but have to highlight as no-one else is going to, did anyone else feel Mcmanus was at fault for the winner ? Mis-timed his jump by quite a bit me thinks.

Scotland played well. Honestly, a draw would have been even more fair than this.

First and third spanish goals came for individual error by some defender. Unlucky.

Keep at the good work, I'd really love to see Scotland qualifying together with Spain.

Scotland played well. Honestly, a draw would have been even more fair than this.

First and third spanish goals came for individual error by some defender. Unlucky.

Keep at the good work, I'd really love to see Scotland qualifying together with Spain.

Well I am afraid you're not going to see it, I think the draw against Lithuania and defeat to Czech Republic will cost us, especially that draw against Lithuania. While I still think we will beat these teams at home, its the away results Scotland can't seem to get. However, good comeback tonight by us, shame McManus decided to jump for a ball he would never make. One more thing, Levein has to stop showing teams so much respect, have a go at some teams! We aren't that bad!

Devastating!

Not much else to say really. I still think we gave them far too much time on the ball, we sat very deep to restrict the strikers but Iniesta, Silva and Sergio were given the time to find a pass, a lot of the time they did.

Whittaker started the game very dodgy and the Spanish looked to exploit him at left back, he was lucky not to give away a penalty before he did. It was fully deserved, one of these where you get them sometimes but not others.

McGregor was unlucky, it was a fine shot. He was great though, didn’t do a thing wrong all night.

We were so much more positive in the second half, closed everything down, having the ball lofted to Miller and Naismith (who won everything in the air) is far more effective than having nothing up there and just letting them walk it back at a leisurely pace.

Spain’s third was purely the fault of Steven McManus, it’s disgusting that a professional footballer who has played at the highest level of Scottish and the championship of England can miss judge and misread the game so badly, what an absolute ***! I hate Steven McManus, always have, and now I always will.

A valiant effort which leaves us with a lot of positives, will we qualify now? Aside from Spain away we play Czech Rep and Lithuania at home and Leichtenstein away. Can we finish second with 13 points?

What a game! So proud of the boys, too bad our defence is about as effective as the Maginot line!

This is what i was talking about before the game.
In the first half i was thinking "Oh god, we're in for it!"
But in the second half, the scottish spirit i was talking about shone through.
Don't look at this as another nearly moment, but instead, a great success to build upon!

Edit: Also, Charlie Adam played a blinder!

I wonder if Leveins figured out that playing with a striker gets you goals.

Sorry it has taken so long but I have my report for the match, it's my first one :)
It is quite biased though, sorry it is mainly my opinions, wouldn't be very good for a newspaper.

Scotland was buzzing ahead of the visit of the World and European champions Spain. Manager Craig Levein had come under a wave of criticism for his negative tactics deployed against the Czech Republic. The game in Prague saw just 2 attempts on goal and the same tactics were expected to be employed against La Furia Roja. This proved to be a tough test for Levein’s Scotland team. He responded to his critics by recalling in form Kenny Miller to his starting line up.

Spain had a string of stars in their starting line-up with famous faces including Gerard Pique, Iker Casillas and the scorer of the goal in the final of the world cup Andres Iniesta. Whilst Scotland had the accomplished David Weir and tireless Darren Fletcher, Craig Levein opted for a more offensive outlook after a dismal showing with a 4-6 formation vs. the Czech Republic. An interesting note was the inclusion of Sunderland’s full back Phil Bardsley who was born in England but qualifies through his father, he would bring something different to the team rather than Alan Hutton who failed a fitness test. Lee McCulloch returned after suspension. 9 of the Spanish 11 started the World Cup Final in a team which has won their last 16 qualifiers.

The build up to the match was tense with the Spanish national anthem followed by Amy MacDonald singing her heart out to Flower of Scotland. The game started with Scotland applying the pressure to the Spanish. Scotland won an early corner and it was floated in by Graeme Dorrans but it was cleared by the World Champions. Spain started keeping possession well which was responded by boos from the Tartan Army. The Spanish started applying the pressure and won a corner off Phil Bardsley but Allan McGregor claimed comfortably. Bardsley starting his first international game then played a long ball for Miller but he was just offside. Manchester City’s David Silva is one of the most creative players in Spain, unfortunately he could not back that up, a horrendous attempt from the right hand side flew harmlessly wide for a goal kick. An uncharacteristically mistake from Puyol nearly sent Kenny Miller away but it was cleared and David Villa nearly nipped in but he was offside. Spain getting to grips and Sergio Ramos had a chance to deliver via the by-line but it was cleared for a corner, the corner then flew safely away for a throw in. After being sent through David Villa had an excellent chance to top Raul’s scoring record but bizarrely shot over the bar usually being clinical with these oppurtunites. An excellent run to the by-line by David Silva and an excellent cross with his weaker foot picked out Villa but his header was straight at McGregor, things were going well for Scotland. More Spanish brilliance followed with David Silva shooting after a good move but again McGregor was equal to it. Spain’s passing excellence was beginning to be noticed as several long balls from Iniesta and co. brought Spain closer to a goal had Villa not been offside on those occasions. And it was the turn of Scotland to have a shot on goal and it was a great pullback from Naismith to Morrison whose shot was well cleared off the line by Capdevila this showed encouragement for Scotland. The Spanish continued to keep possession and Cazorla’s ball for Silva was too heavy. Several passes continued as Spain continued to refrain to shoot from distance despite large amounts of space in the Scottish half. Spain managed to compress our team into our half of the pitch during this move and when Iniesta beat Bardsley it was a half chance for Ramos which he couldn’t take. It was obvious how perceptive the passing of Spain was, Ramos again arriving for an attempt to header but Allan McGregor punched the pall away after a terrific pass from Alonso. A deflected shot landed at the feet of Villa and he twisted and turned and fired a shot straight at McGregor, a great save nonetheless, Spain showing why they are World Champions. A part of Spain’s play was releasing their full backs on the flanks, and they galloped like thoroughbreds continuously all night. To make a change from the 6 passes per second came a weak attempt from Iniesta which Allan McGregor gathered at the second attempt. Just when everything seemed to be going right for Scotland going into half time Steven Whittaker was penalised for handball and a penalty was awarded. It was a fantastic ball to Ramos and his volley struck the arm of Steven Whittaker, a dubious decision from the official as there was not much he could do. David Villa took the penalty to equal the scoring record of Raul for Spain and he slotted it past Allan McGregor although he nearly got a hand to it. A disappointing end to the half for Scotland, but it is not over by a long shot.

Scotland started the second half well, keeping possession, winning a corner and a free kick. A wonderfully flighted ball by Capdevila was controlled beautifully on the chest by David Silva and he fired towards goal with his splendid left foot, but a wonderful one handed save from Allan McGregor to prevent the second Spanish goal. James Morrison went shoulder to shoulder with Santi Cazorla following a good Spanish passing move and the latter went down looking for a penalty, not given by the officials. Another wonderful ball from the right picked out Cazorla and he headed it just wide of the mark, quite bad considering the space he was given and that he is the smallest man on the pitch! And then it got worse for Scotland.. David Villa burst into the box, his effort was blocked and so is Cazorla’s but Iniesta with a clinical left footed finish which had McGregor wrong footed, Spain led 2-0 at Hampden. That must have been game over for Scotland as I doubted that the Spanish would give away the lead. You wouldn’t know that Scotland were losing as the Tartan Army cheered all night. Things could only get better for Scotland and they did, as they scored. They grabbed a goal back through Steven Naismith, it was a fantastic ball from Miller from the right of the box and a brilliant flicked on header past the Spanish No.1. Game on. This goal sparked Scotland into life. Naismith with a wonderful ball to Miller who is just offside. David Villa wouldn’t break any records with his next attempt, an awful effort over the bar from the #7. A wonderful ball from Xabi Alonso trying to find Villa but McGregor is equal to it and heads the ball before Villa can reach it. Then something out of the ordinary happened, Fletcher played a good ball to Morrison who had a lot of space and he drilled it low towards Miller and GOAL! It deflected in off the boot of Pique! Disaster for Spain, but glory for Scotland having pulled back from 2-0 down against the champions of the world. Pablo Hernandez came on for Cazorla who set up the second goal. A delightful flick from Villa into the run of Hernandez brougt out a good save from the feet of McGregor. Fernando Llorente who oddly did not start after two goals on Friday came on for David Silva who was denied on a couple of occasions by the outstanding McGregor. Pablo with a great cross aimed at Llorente but McGregor claims confidently. It seemd that Scotland would hold on, but it was not to be. It was a delightful ball from Capdevila and as Stephen McManus attempted to head it he missed the ball completely and Llorente volleyed it past McGregor, surely Spain couldn’t surrender this lead now. Graeme Dorrans had a decent game and he came off for QPR forward Jamie Mackie. Scotland kept on applying the pressure but they cannot break past the Spanish defence, Carlos Marchena came on for Sergio Busquets who had a brilliant game in the middle of the park. Mackie lost possession and it is a goal kick to Spain. Another change for Scotland as Maloney came on for Morrison. And a red card for Steven Whittaker as he attempts a challenge on Ramos, a bit harsh as he won the ball well in my opinion. Hasn’t been his night. Spanish break after a Scottish free kick is cleared, wonderful ball from Pique and McGregor who has been absolutely outstanding for Scotland saves again. And it is all over, the world and European champions have triumphed, just. I think it was harsh on Scotland but you can’t argue that Spain were the better side. Some great individual performances from McGregor, Adam, Bardsley and Naismith, they played their heart out for the team. I am slightly disappointed that these tactics were deployed in this game; we chose the wrong team to play so well against. Imagine if we had played like this against Lithuania or the Czech’s. We can only imagine now, as Scotland’s hopes of qualifying fade away. Terrific effort from Scotland and a performance Spain would’ve been proud of.

Nice report mate, a very enjoyable read for any Scotland fan,

Must have taken you ages to write!!! I agree with the summary at the end, any team in the world would've been proud of that performance ;)

Nice report mate, a very enjoyable read for any Scotland fan,

Must have taken you ages to write!!! I agree with the summary at the end, any team in the world would've been proud of that performance ;)

It took all of the joy out of watching the game as I typed while I watched, I'm quite pleased with it even though I had to rewrite that last paragraph after it went missing.

Give Mcmanus a rest , he scored the winner against lichenstein(sp) , he wasn't that bad apart from the mistake. What about wittaker's mistake for the 1st goal ?

Give Mcmanus a rest , he scored the winner against lichenstein(sp) , he wasn't that bad apart from the mistake. What about wittaker's mistake for the 1st goal ?

i agree WTF was whittaker doing putting his hand up :S

I thought the decision was rather dubious, just my opinion :)

Whilst it was a penalty, it's the type you could easily get away with. Plus, we would've been 1-0 up at this point if Morrisson could score from 10 yards.

Capdevila blocked it on the line though, and he showed Whittaker how to block a shot