Scott Parker: From Player to Manager

ZeCarlos

Reaction score
View attachment 460624November 2013
Scott Parker Retires

View attachment 460633

English midfielder Scott Parker has left Fulham after announcing his retirement from the game. The 33-year-old recently sustained a minor back injury in a Barclays Premier League game against London rivals Chelsea and was ruled out for 3 months.

Parker, who previously played for Chelsea, warned fans after the game that he was seriously considering an early retirement from his playing career as he didn't feel as though his body could cope much longer. The midfielder, who has appeared 18 times for his country, has reportedly taken several knocks in training and told the Fulham management he was struggling in recent weeks. Now, after the injury he picked up against Chelsea, Parker has decided to hang up his boots - to the disappointment of many Fulham fans. Upon hearing the news, Fulham message boards lit up with positive posts from users who wished Parker a positive future.

In a subdued press conference at Craven Cottage, Parker had this to say: "I'm very sad to announce my retirement from professional football. While the injury I received in the Chelsea game wasn't particularly serious, I didn't feel like I could continue. I would have probably returned, come back into the team and kept playing - and maybe that's what people wanted - but I didn't feel as though I could give 100% to the cause any more. I didn't feel it was right to come back in, take a place off one of the younger players and only be able to give 70 or 80%. I've had a very successful career, playing for my country 18 times, and would like to thank everybody who has helped me. I wish Fulham well in the future and will keep in contact with many of the lads."

When asked about potentially taking up a management job in the future, Parker had this to say: "It's something I'd be very interested in. I've been doing my badges over the past few months and feel like I could do a capable job. I've worked with a lot of experienced managers and feel like I understand a lot about the game because of that. I may not be able to ply my trade on the pitch any more, but I feel I could do a decent job passing on my knowledge on the training pitch. Obviously I need to weigh up my options short-term, and then hopefully somebody will see enough in me to see something for the future. As I say though, it's something I'd definitely consider."

View attachment 460341
December 2013
Robins appoint Parker

View attachment 460340

Sky Bet League One outfit Swindon Town have appointed former Fulham midfielder Scott Parker as their manager following the dismissal of Mark Cooper. Following a poor start to the season in which his team picked up just 20 points in 19 league games, Cooper was sacked earlier this week.

Former England international Parker takes over at the County Ground in his first managerial post after retiring from professional football last month due to injury. The 33-year-old takes over a team currently languishing in 20th place in the Sky Bet League One despite early expectations of a mid-table finish. Cooper, who Parker succeeds, joined the club just four months ago - however, it is obvious Swindon chairman Jed McCrory feels the decision was a mistake and has moved quick to secure the signature of Parker.

A statement from the Swindon Town board read: "We have moved swiftly to secure Scott's signature and look forward to the remaining months of the season under his guidance. Despite having no previous managerial experience, we believe Scott is the right man for the job and can improve on our current position of 20th in the division. Having already toured the facilities, Scott signed a contract until the end of the season and upon reaching this date, we will review what progress the club has made under his leadership. However, we would like to reassure the fans we are very much focusing on the now and how to improve our poor start to the season."

Just hours after his appointment, Parker released this message via his agent: "I'm very proud to be the new manager of Swindon Town Football Club. After a successful spell as a professional footballer, I'm looking forward to testing myself as a manager. I believe I have the correct qualities to be a success at my new home, the County Ground, and will give 100% to the club and it's proud supporters."

Sky Bet League One Table:

View attachment 460338

Love Scotty P. :). Will be following mate. Look forward to more.

Love Scotty P. :). Will be following mate. Look forward to more.

Love him too, class professional. Cheers for your comment, trying to get the first month rolled out tonight as I have a busy day tomorrow.

View attachment 460336
December 2013
Unbeaten start for Parker

View attachment 460334

Sky Bet League One | Bramall Lane
Saturday 14th December 2013
Sheffield United 1-1 Swindon Town
(Dany N'Guessan)

Sky Bet League One | County Ground
Saturday 21st December 2013
Swindon Town 4-0 Coventry City
(Nile Ranger, Dany N'Guessan, Miles Storey, Alan Navarro)

Sky Bet League One | Griffin Park
Thursday 26th December 2013
Brentford 0-1 Swindon Town
(Darren Ward)

Sky Bet League One | Valley Parade
Sunday 29th December 2013
Bradford City 3-4 Swindon Town
(Nile Ranger x2, Darren Ward x2)

Review

Scott Parker's reign at the County Ground got off to a good start as his team picked up 10 points out of a possible 12 in his first month in charge. The Robins put in four impressive performances with former Newcastle United striker Nile Ranger scoring 3 goals this month to help out his team. Winger Dany N'Guessan also had a fantastic month as he scored twice and got 4 assists - the 26-year-old has reportedly massively impressed new manager Parker and is already considered a vital part of the Swindon Town team.

Sky Bet League One Table

View attachment 460333

Great start mate, I reckon a cheeky play off push come the end of the season. (H)

View attachment 460176
January 2014
Late stumble costs Parker unbeaten record

View attachment 460175

Wednesday 1st January 2014
Swindon Town 1-1 Crawley Town
(Miles Storey)

Sky Bet League One | Broadhall Way
Wednesday 8th January 2014
Stevenage 2-2 Swindon Town
(Jay McEveley, Troy Archibald-Henville)

Saturday 11th January 2014
Swindon Town 3-2 Peterborough United
(Miles Storey, Alex Pritchard, Ryan Harley)

Sky Bet League One | Priestfield
Saturday 18th January 2014
Gillingham 1-3 Swindon Town
(Troy Archibald-Henville x2, Alex Pritchard)

Saturday 25th January 2014
Swindon Town 2-2 Shrewsbury Town
(Darren Ward, Massimo Luongo)

Sky Bet League One | Bescot Stadium
Tuesday 28th January 2014
Walsall 2-1 Swindon Town
(Miles Storey)

Review

Scott Parker's second month in charge at the County Ground went relatively well as his side lost just one game. In one of the more surprising results in the league, Swindon managed to steal three points from high-flying Peterborough but three draws meant Parker was unhappy with the lack of cutting edge his team possessed. A late Walsall goal compounded Parker to his first defeat in his managerial career although his side did once again climb the table.

Transfers

Swindon Town managed to bring in four players on loan deals as three left. Watford midfielder Ross Jenkins, Swansea wing-back Curtis Obeng, Liverpool striker Samed Yesil and Wigan defender Rob Kiernan all joined on three month long deals. Jenkins and Obeng both have agreed fees in their deals so Parker can buy both players at any time. Jack Barthram, Alex Smith and Aaron Oakley left the club on loan.

Sky Bet League One Table

View attachment 460142

View attachment 459925
February 2014
Robins pressure play-
offs

View attachment 459924

Saturday 1st February 2014
Swindon Town 2-1 Oldham Athletic
(Nile Ranger x2)

Sky Bet League One | Vale Park
Saturday 8th February 2014
Port Vale 1-2 Swindon Town
(Jay McEveley, Dany N'Guessan)

Saturday 15th February 2014
Swindon Town 3-0 Colchester United
(Nile Ranger x3)

Sky Bet League One | Brisbane Road
Saturday 22nd February 2014
Leyton Orient 2-2 Swindon Town
(Grant Hall x2)

Review

Swindon Town got through February without losing a single game. Wins against Oldham, Port Vale and Colchester as well as a draw at Leyton Orient meant that Scott Parker's side picked up 10 points from a possible 12 and now sit on the fringes of the play-off positions. Striker Nile Ranger picked up the Player of the Month award after scoring 5 goals in 4 goals whilst also getting 2 assists. With 12 games left in the league, Swindon currently sit 3 points away from a play-off position.

Sky Bet League One Table

View attachment 459923

Nice going so far mate. Hope you can reach those play off places!

Nice going so far mate. Hope you can reach those play off places!

Cheers man! Signing Yesil in January freed Nile Ranger to play in an Advanced Forward role and he's impressing massively!

View attachment 459773
March 2014
Robins suffer from fatigue

View attachment 459772

Sky Bet League One | Alexandra Stadium
Saturday 1st of March 2014
Crewe Alexandra 0-1 Swindon Town
(Dany N'Guessan)

Saturday 8th March 2014
Swindon Town 2-4 MK Dons
(Nile Ranger, Samed Yesil)

Tuesday 11th March 2014
Swindon Town 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
(Samed Yesil)

Sky Bet League One | Ashton Gate
Saturday 15th March 2014
Bristol City 0-6 Swindon Town
(Alan Navarro, Nile Ranger x4, Jay McEveley)

Saturday 22nd March 2014
Swindon Town 1-2 Preston North End
(Rob Kiernan)

Sky Bet League One | Prenton Park
Tuesday 25th March 2014
Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Swindon Town
(Nile Ranger)

Saturday 29th March 2014
Swindon Town 3-0 Sheffield United
(Alex Pritchard, Lee ***, Samed Yesil)

Review

Despite playing seven games this month, Swindon Town still managed to pick up enough points to add further pressure to the sides occupying the play-off places as they finish the month within 2 points of 6th position. Several sides are vying for a play-off position and the race for promotion will certainly go down to the last day of the season as Swindon, Sheffield United and Carlisle are all hitting form at the right time of the season. January loan signing Samed Yesil hit three goals this month to impress manager Scott Parker.

Sky Bet League One Table

View attachment 459771

View attachment 459770
April 2014
Robins reach the play-offs

View attachment 459769

Sky Bet League One | Brunton Park
Saturday 5th April 2014
Carlisle United 0-1 Swindon Town
(Nile Ranger)

Saturday 12th April 2014
Swindon Town 3-3 Brentford
(Dany N'Guessan x2, Jay McEveley)

Sky Bet League One | Sixfields Stadium
Saturday 19th April 2014
Coventry City 2-3 Swindon Town
(Nile Ranger x2, Samed Yesil)

Monday 21st April 2014
Swindon Town 2-1 Bradford City
(Darren Ward, Nile Ranger)

Sky Bet League One | Meadow Lane
Saturday 26th April 2014
Notts County 3-1 Swindon Town
(Dany N'Guessan)

Saturday 3rd May 2014
Swindon Town 3-1 Rotherham United
(Alex Pritchard, Nile Ranger, Samed Yesil)

Review

Scott Parker's Swindon Town finished the regular season in 5th position - a huge improvement from when he took over as the club were 20th back in December. In Parker's 28 games in charge, his side have picked up 53 points to climb 15 league positions. The Robins have a two-legged tie against Preston North End in the play-off semi-final with the first leg being played at the County Ground on the 10th with the return leg five days later.

Sky Bet League One Table

View attachment 459768

View attachment 459556
May 2014
Swindon into the Final

View attachment 459555

Sky Bet League One Play-off Semi-final 1st Leg | County Ground
Saturday 10th May 2014
Swindon Town 2-0 Preston North End
(Samed Yesil, Nile Ranger)

Sky Bet League One Play-off Semi-final 2nd Leg | Deepdale
Thursday 15th May 2014
Preston North End 3-2 Swindon Town
(Nile Ranger, Samed Yesil

Review

Scott Parker has reached the Sky Bet League One Play-off Final with his side, Swindon Town, after beating Preston North End 4-3 on aggregate. After the first leg, Swindon were in pole position to reach the final after winning 2-0. However, within the first half of the second leg, Preston took a 3-0 lead which gave them the advantage on aggregate. Late second half goals from Ranger and Yesil meant Swindon clawed their way back into the tie and will now face Sheffield United at Wembley in the final on the 25th of May.

View attachment 459487
May 2014
Championship football for Swindon

View attachment 459486

Sky Bet League One Play-off Final | Wembley Stadium
Sunday 25th May 2014
Sheffield United 1-3 Swindon Town
(Samed Yesil x2, Miles Storey)

Review

Swindon Town will be playing in the Sky Bet Championship next season after they easily dismissed Sheffield United in the play-off final. A dominating display by Scott Parker's team saw them take in a 2-0 lead at half-time thanks to two early goals from on-loan striker Samed Yesil. Former Motherwell striker Jamie Murphy pulled one back midway through the second half as Sheffield United had a rare chance. Youngster Miles Storey - who Parker has looked to from the bench quite often this season - then sealed the result in the 80th minute as he broke free, rounded the keeper and tapped home.

Sheffield United Starting Eleven

Mark Howard, Darryl Westlake, Harry Maguire, Neill Collins, Toni, Damien Mozika, Stephen McGinn, Ryan Flynn, Jose Baxter, Jamie Murphy, Joe Ironside

Sheffield United Substitutes

George Willis, Lyle Taylor, Callum McFadzean, Terry Kennedy, Febain Brandy, Francois Zoko, Matt Hill

Swindon Town Team

Wesley Foderingham, Nathan Bryne, Tony Archibald-Henville, Grant Hall, Jay McEveley, Ross Jenkins, Alan Navarro, Alex Pritchard, Dany N'Guessan, Samed Yesil, Nile Ranger

Swindon Town Substitutes

Tijane, Lee ***, Yaser Kasim, Miles Storey, Nathan Thompson, Ryan Harley, Mohamed El-Gabas

Great story as always, and fantastic achievement in gaining promotion! Just some constructive criticism, though, I think you should do more elaborate updates for key games (such as games against the league leaders; games which determine whether or not you get into the Play-Offs or Play-Off/cup finals, etc.).

Great story as always, and fantastic achievement in gaining promotion! Just some constructive criticism, though, I think you should do more elaborate updates for key games (such as games against the league leaders; games which determine whether or not you get into the Play-Offs or Play-Off/cup finals, etc.).

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to include more extensive updates for important games!

View attachment 459233
Pre-season
Mass exodus at the County Ground

View attachment 459227

Friendly | Home Park
Saturday 12th July 2014
Plymouth Argyle 1-2 Swindon Town
(Kyle Lafferty, Milan Lalkovic)

Friendly | St. James' Park
Tuesday 22nd July 2014
Exeter City 1-2 Swindon Town
(Ryan Noble, David Edgar)

Friendly | County Ground
Saturday 26th July 2014
Swindon Town 3-0 Bayern Munich II
(Matthew Briggs, Ryan Noble x2)

Transfers In | Overall Spent: 5,500,000 pounds

Kasper Schmeichel from Leicester City (Free)
James Tavernier from Newcastle United (Free)
Shane Lowry from Millwall (Free)
Eric Senior (Free)
Danny Batth from Wolverhampton Wanderers (Free)
David Edgar from Burnley (Free)
Matthew Briggs from Fulham (Free)
Ross Jenkins from Watford (10,000 pounds)
Emmanuel Frimpong from Arsenal (Free)
Marc Albrighton from Aston Villa (Free)
Charis Mavrias from Sunderland (Loan)
Dan Gosling from Newcastle United (Free)
Jacob Mellis from Barnsley (Free)
Emmanuel Mayuka from Southampton (2,000,000 pounds)
Milan Lalkovic from Chelsea (Free)
Kyle Lafferty from Palermo (2,000,000 pounds)
Benik Afobe from Arsenal (Free)
Ryan Noble from Burnley (10,000 pounds)
Sam Vokes from Burnley (1,300,000 pounds)

Transfers Out | Overall Earned: 1,366,000 pounds

Alan Navarro to Rangers (66,000 pounds)
Ryan Harley to Hibernian (500,000 pounds)
Jay McEveley to Hibernian (800,000 pounds)
Troy Archibald-Henville to Walsall (Loan)
Miles Storey to Scunthorpe (Loan)
Tijane to Wrexham (Loan)
Andrew Williams to Wigan (Free)
Nathan Thompson to Yeovil (Free)
Lee *** (Free)
Yaser Kasim (Free)
Paul Benson (Free)
Luke Rooney (Free)
Jack Barthram (Free)
Raphael Branco (Free)

Review

Scott Parker brought in a total of 19 players in pre-season as he overhauled his squad to face the pressures of the Sky Bet Championship. Many of the players brought in are youngsters from Barclays Premier League sides who Parker hopes can perform at a slightly lower level as he looks to keep his side in the league they haven't played in for 14 years. Fringe players such as Ryan Harley and Jay McEveley were sold to make way for the new signings and to raise funds as management at the County Ground sanctioned moves which saw five and a half million pounds eave the club. Swindon Town played three friendlies and won them all comfortably as Parker looked for his players to gel early having signed them all before the games started. Several of the strikers brought in during the summer struggled to perform in the friendlies - with former Burnley and Sunderland striker Ryan Noble being the only exception as he came off the bench twice to score three goals.

View attachment 459214August 2014
Good start for Swindon

View attachment 459213
Sky Bet Championship | Bloomfield Road
Saturday 2nd August 2014
Blackpool 2-1 Swindon Town
(Sam Vokes)

Capital One Cup 1st Round | County Ground
Tuesday 5th August 2014
Swindon Town 3-2 Southend United
(Ryan Noble, Emmanuel Mayuka, Jacob Mellis)

Sky Bet Championship | County Ground
Saturday 9th August 2014
Swindon Town 0-0 Leicester City

Sky Bet Championship | Keepmoat Stadium
Saturday 16th August 2014
Doncaster United 2-2 Swindon Town
(Emmanuel Mayuka, Shane Lowry)

Saturday 23rd August 2014
Swindon Town 2-1 Brighton and Hove Albion
(Sam Vokes, Emmanuel Frimpong)

Capital One Cup 2nd Round | County Ground
Tuesday 26th August 2014
Swindon Town 3-1 Birmingham City
(Kyle Lafferty x3)

Saturday 30th August 2014
Swindon Town 1-1 Aston Villa
(Emmanuel Mayuka)

Review

Swindon Town's start in the Sky Bet Championship has been fairly positive having only lost one game in the first six. New strikers Emmanuel Mayuka and Kyle Lafferty stepped up their efforts as they scored five goals between them in the first month. Early draws against Leicester and Doncaster as well as a loss against Blackpool threatened to ruin morale in the Swindon camp. However, manager Scott Parker was able to instil some belief into the squad as they went on to beat Brighton and Birmingham as well as earn a credible draw against Aston Villa. The only significant bad news Parker received this month was the injury of young striker Ryan Noble in the Capital One Cup game against Southend United.

Last edited:
Great story so far! What tactic are you using? And did you change the reputation when making Scott Parker as a manager?

As a Spurs fan I absolutely love Parker, class player and looks like a class manager too! ;)