Shaking up the Football League - A Bury FC Story.

Mike :]

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to my first story of Football Manager 13! I did a couple of stories in previous games and will be looking to update this at least three times a week but it may drop to once a week when I go back to university and the work starts again. Thanks for reading and here’s the story!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 294875
Reign Over : Blackwell has resigned due to personal reasons.

Kevin Blackwell has resigned as Bury manager with personal reasons believed to be the reason behind his decision.

The club understands Blackwell’s decision to resign and have moved fast in appointing his replacement. Chairman Brian Fenton has taken the decision to employ Youth Coach Michael Henson as interim manager until he can find a suitable replacement for Blackwell.

Henson has gone on record as saying that he hopes to impress the board during the season and get the job on a permanent basis. He expects the senior players to step up to the mark and assist the younger players’ development. Henson has a huge number of contacts within the game having studied Sports Journalism at university and working at various clubs during that period.

Quote from Michael Henson
“Bury are my home town team and I have supported them from a young age. I will be looking to do all I can in getting them into the Championship where we once were many years ago, maybe even repeat the FA Cup successes of 1900 and 1903.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contents
2012-13 season - nPower League One - Play-Off and Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Page 1-3
2013-14 season - nPower Championship - 6th Place - Lost in Play-Off Semi Final - Page 4
2014-15 season - nPower Championship - Page 7

Last edited:
Bury FC Squad Report

View attachment 294876

View attachment 294877

Bury have a very limited squad as they have fierce competition from local rivals for the decent young players and limited finances to expand their squad. There is plenty of dead wood in the squad which needs to be disposed of and I will be looking to do that in the two transfer windows this season. However, they have got a few good players who have been round the blocks as bit such as David Healy and Efe Sodje but also have a good mix of good young players like David Worrall and Joe Skarz.

Bury have got two main goalkeepers on their books, Trevor Carson and Cameron Belford. Carson will be the number one this year as he is a better all-round goalkeeper but I will be looking to utilise Belford in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and against lesser opponents in the Carling Cup and FA Cup. Christian Dibble, son of former Manchester City goalkeeper Andy, is also on Bury’s books and I will be including him in some match day squads and may introduce him into the team towards the end of the season.

The defenders in the squad are of a decent standard and could do with some reinforcements. New signing Adam Lockwood will be at the heart of the defence as he is the strongest defender whilst Joe Skarz will be employed at left back as he is the only left back in the squad. Mark Hughes will partner Lockwood in the centre back position and looks like he will be a good squad player. The right back area is pretty weak as Phil Picken and Andrai Jones seem like they will not be up to League One standard and I will be looking to invest in this area. Veteran defender Efe Sodje will provide excellent cover for the defence as he can play in a variety of positions but that is about it for cover as young defender Jordan Melia is a Blue Square Premier player judging by his stats.

The centre of midfield is very strong with four players available for selection. Captain Steven Schumacher will be at the heart of midfield will Peter Sweeney with cover provided by Irish midfielder Shane Byrne and Mark Carrington who are both adequate replacements should the first choice two get injured or suspended. David Worrall will make the right midfield position his own and will be a key player throughout the season with Craig Jones and Marcus Marshall being deployed on the left hand side of midfield.

Bury have four strikers available for selection but I think the main two will be David Healy and Mark Cullen with the firepower on the bench coming from Lateef Elford-Alliyu and Lenell John-Lewis even though the latter is a weak option. The second two may be employed in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy as I look to give Healy and Cullen a rest as the league will take priority. Young striker Tom Pratt will push through the ranks during the season and I will include him in the squad in some less important games. Andy Bishop and Shaun Harrad are out on loan but Bishop will be back in January and I will put him straight in the starting line-up whilst I will be looking to sell Harrad next summer.

Potential Departures
Phil Picken
Lenell John-Lewis

Potential Transfer Targets
Matt Doherty
Joe Garner​

Transfer Window Update

View attachment 294903

I brought in a few players in the summer transfer window to ensure that my squad was capable of fighting for League One survival and not fading into the relegation zone early on in the season.

In

View attachment 294897

The first addition was left midfielder Daniel Redmond, who was brought in on a free from Wigan Athletic. Redmond is the son of former Shakers legend Steve Redmond and was brought in as a first choice left midfielder as Marcus Marshall was ineffective in that position. He has good stats for a young 21 year old and is a great acquisition on a free transfer. I will be looking for him to take on the full backs and provide good service for the two strikers.

View attachment 294898

The second player brought in to the Shakers squad was full back Matt Doherty. He has great stats for a right back that has not played much first team football since his arrival from the Irish leagues. He was brought in on a season long loan from Wolves with Bury paying for 50% of his wages. Bury have him on loan from Wolves in real life and he has impressed me this year and will go on to big things. His stats match his performances for us this season and I am delighted to bring him in.

View attachment 294901

The third player brought in was another free transfer, experienced striker James Beattie joined Bury on a contract until 2015 and will play as a striker with David Healy. With them two up front, I am hoping for a lot of goals this season as they have a good track record with previous clubs. If either of them get tired, I can bring in Elford-Alliyu as the former West Brom man will be able to replace them as he has similar stats but ten years younger.

Out

The only player heading out of the door permanently is Phil Picken as he departs to Gillingham for a fee of £20,000. He wasn’t good enough for the squad and was on quite a high wage for someone who wouldn’t play for me this season. With Doherty coming in, he had no future as Andrai Jones is a young player who will hopefully improve in the next few years and will provide cover for Doherty in this season.

Two young players headed out on loan in the form of Max Harrop and Luke McCarthy. Both went on season long loans to Stockport County and Guiseley respectively. They are nowhere near first team standard yet and have gone on loan for first team experience to boost their development.

Another departure at Gigg Lane saw Mark Cullen return to Hull after his loan was terminated. We were paying £1,000 a week of his wages and I thought that was too much for someone who wasn’t really that good. After I pulled off the transfer of James Beattie, I sent him back as Beattie is only on £700 more than what we were paying for Cullen.​

i've got a Bury story going as well... you should check it out. Just to let you know Lateef Elford-Alliyu is absolutly clinical in the poacher role... bagged 40 goals this season in all comps! will keep an eye on this.

i've got a Bury story going as well... you should check it out. Just to let you know Lateef Elford-Alliyu is absolutly clinical in the poacher role... bagged 40 goals this season in all comps! will keep an eye on this.

Cheers mate, will do. Healy has just been injured for 4-5 weeks so Lateef will be playing in the poacher role now, hope he can grab some goals.

Season Preview

The tactic I will be using for this story will be JP’s simple & solid 442 & counter version which can be found here. I believe this tactic is perfect for me as I have used it before and it employs a flat 442 system which allows the wingers to get forward and pump balls into the box. I hope that it will provide me with a solid structure which will allow me to get a lot of possession and not be dominated by the bigger teams in the division.

View attachment 294911

As I have said in previous posts, Trevor Carson is the starting goalkeeper for me with Cameron Belford on the bench as back-up. Left back for me is Joe Skarz but I have no cover for him so if he is injured I will have to bring in youth team player Levi Clarke. The centre half pairing is Adam Lockwood and Mark Hughes with loanee Matt Doherty completing the back four. I believe that this is a solid back four and will give me plenty of clean sheets in the league. The midfield four is made up of new signing Daniel Redmond, Peter Sweeney, Steven Schumacher and key player David Worrall. The wingers have a bit of pace which they will use to attack the full backs and get the crosses into the middle to create plenty of chances. Sweeney and Schumacher will be employed as the deep lying playmakers, spraying the ball out wide for the wingers but also look to get the strikers moving with defence splitting passes. The strikers are David Healy and James Beattie. On paper it is a very powerful strike force which should get a lot of goals but in reality they are similar players that can be used as a poacher but they don’t have pace – which is the only problem.

Pre-Season Results

Bury 1-0 Bury Reserves
Bury 1-2 Liverpool
Bury 0-0 Preston
Bury 0-1 Northampton
Bury 0-1 Nottingham Forest
Manchester United Reserves 0-2 Bury
Bury 4-1 FC United
Radcliffe Borough 1-2 Bury

Upcoming Fixtures

14.08.12 – Capital One Cup versus Middlesbrough
18.08.12 – League One versus Colchester
21.08.12 – League One versus Portsmouth
25.08.12 – League One versus Preston​

August Update

View attachment 294921

Capital One Cup
Middlesbrough 2-0 Bury
Emnes, Halliday

League One
Colchester 4-0 Bury
O’Toole, Henderson, Sears x2
*Healy injured for 4-5 weeks*

League One
Bury 2–0 Portsmouth
Marshall, Elford-Alliyu

League One
Preston 0-0 Bury

Manager’s Point of View

It was a disappointing start to the season as the cup defeat stopped us from gaining some extra income and a possible big team at home in the next round. We played well in the game but Middlesbrough was more clinical. The first league game of the season was awful as we were hammered 4-0 but is understandable as it was the first league game they played together and they are getting used to the target. The first league win came against Portsmouth and was a good one as it was a rotated squad from the first game as Elford-Alliyu was brought in for the injured David Healy and didn’t disappoint as he grabbed a goal. The game against Preston rounded off an even month and the performances have been of a decent standard and they will continually improve as the team gets used to the tactic.

League Table
View attachment 294920

Upcoming Fixtures
01.09.12 – League One versus MK Dons
08.09.12 – League One versus Carlisle
11.09.12 – League One versus Tranmere
15.09.12 – League One versus Walsall
18.09.12 – League One versus Notts County
22.09.12 – League One versus Stevenage
29.09.12 – League One versus Yeovil​

Unlucky for the 1st couple of matches. Probably for the best you are out of the C1 cup, i was playing 10 games a month for November and December and it killed the players. Have you had a look at what youths are available on loan? i managed to get a couple of cracking ones from Liverpool. KIU

I'm going to look for loans when I go back on the game later, want to try and bring in a fast young CB on loan as Lockwood and Hughes seem to lack pace.

Well i can recommend Andre Wisdom if he is available, if not Derrick Williams from Villa. Also Andrai Jones did good in place for Lockwood and kept him out of the team, but Hughes is a rock at the back

None of them are available so I've brought in a centre back on a free transfer that I'll reveal in the next post.

September Update

Club News

Eric Addo brought in on a free transfer.

View attachment 295005

Ghanaian centre back Addo was brought in on a free transfer to provide cover for the back two as they were getting tired playing two games in a week. However, he was put straight into the starting eleven for the MK Dons game but got injured in the first minute and was out for 7-10 days with a bruised rib.

League One
Bury 1-1 MK Dons
Elford-Alliyu

Carlisle 2-1 Bury
Schumacher

League One
Bury 2-1 Tranmere
Sweeney, Elford-Alliyu

League One
Walsall 2-1 Bury
John-Lewis

League One
Bury 2-1 Notts County
Sweeney, Beattie

League One
Bury 0-0 Stevenage

League One
Yeovil 1-1 Bury
Worrall

Manager’s Point of View

This was going to be a difficult month with seven games being played. I am pleased with the results that we got and losing only two of the seven was great with such a small squad. With Healy being injured for most of it, Elford-Alliyu stepped up to the poacher’s role and fired in two goals. The midfield are doing great as well and performing like I want them to with them getting up top and grabbing some goals.

League Table
View attachment 295004

Upcoming Fixtures
02.10.12 – League One versus Sheffield United
09.10.12 – Johnstone’s Paint Trophy versus Fleetwood Town
13.10.12 – League One versus Crawley Town
17.10.12 – League One versus Hartlepool
20.10.12 – League One versus Scunthorpe
23.10.12 – League One versus Coventry
27.10.12 – League One versus Leyton Orient​

October Update

League One
Sheffield United 1-1 Bury
Healy

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy
Bury 2-1 Fleetwood Town
Redmond, Healy

League One
Crawley Town 0-2 Bury
Redmond, Beattie

League One
Bury 2-1 Hartlepool
Elford-Alliyu x2

League One
Bury 2-0 Scunthorpe
Addo, Elford-Alliyu

League One
Coventry 1-0 Bury

League One
Bury 0-2 Leyton Orient

Manager’s Point of View
It was a great month for us as we sneaked into the top half and made it into the play offs for a few games before the two losses as the end of the month. I didn’t expect much from the Coventry game as they were top of the league but was disappointed with the loss against Leyton Orient as they were 18th​ in the league. To go eight undefeated until the Coventry game was great and this included a brilliant point away to Sheffield United, one of the bigger teams in the division. We also progressed in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy with a win against Fleetwood and have been drawn against Chesterfield in the next round. In the FA Cup we play Barrow at home and is a game I believe we can win.
League Table
View attachment 295018

Upcoming Fixtures
03.11.12 – FA Cup versus Barrow
06.11.12 – League One versus Shrewsbury Town
10.11.12 – League One versus Bournemouth
13.11.12 – League One versus Swindon Town
17.11.12 – League One versus Oldham Athletic
20.11.12 – League One versus Doncaster Rovers
24.11.12 – League One versus Brentford
28.11.12 – League One versus Crewe​

November Update

Club News

Trevor Carson ruled out for five to six weeks.

View attachment 295034

Number one goalkeeper Trevor Carson has been ruled out for five to six weeks after he looks to be suffering from a hernia after injuring himself in training. This means that Cameron Belford will get his chance in establishing himself as Bury’s number one after his performance against Fleetwood Town in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

Ben Davies joins the club on loan.

View attachment 295031

Derby County have loaned Ben Davies to Bury for three months after he fell out with management and was placed on the transfer list. Bury had a transfer bid accepted for the midfielder but his wage demands were too high. Davies hopes to impress for Bury during the three months and will be looking to impress the Derby management team to get back into their good books. Manager Michael Henson is said to be pleased at his acquisition.

FA Cup
Bury 4-0 Barrow
Elford-Alliyu x3, Beattie

League One
Shrewsbury Town 0-1 Bury
Redmond

League One
Bury 1-0 Bournemouth
Elford-Alliyu

League One
Bury 2-2 Swindon Town
Davies, Elford-Alliyu

League One
Oldham Athletic 0-0 Bury

League One
Doncaster Rovers 0-0 Bury

League One
Bury 0-1 Brentford

League One
Bury 1-1 Crewe
Beattie

Manager’s Point of View
Another good month for the Shakers, in eight games we only lost once which is signs of progression from the start of the season. Ben Davies has played excellently since he joined from Derby and has shone in the deep lying playmaker role. We’re currently 9th​ in the league and we are performing way above expectations and I believe with a big push we can make the play offs at the end of the season. We progressed in the FA Cup as well with Lateef grabbing a hat-trick in a 4-0 win over Barrow and we’ve been drawn against Colchester United in the next round.

League Table
View attachment 295030

Upcoming Fixtures
01.12.12 – FA Cup versus Colchester
04.12.12 – Johnstone’s Paint Trophy versus Chesterfield
08.12.12 – League One versus Colchester
15.12.12 – League One versus Portsmouth
22.12.12 – League One versus Preston
26.12.12 – League One versus MK Dons
29.12.12 – League One versus Carlisle​

December Update

View attachment 295054

FA Cup
Bury 2-0 Colchester
Hughes, Elford-Alliyu

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy
Bury 2-0 Chesterfield
John-Lewis, Elford-Alliyu

League One
Bury 0-3 Colchester

League One
Portsmouth 0-2 Bury
Elford-Alliyu, Sweeney

League One
Bury 1-0 Preston
Elford-Alliyu

League One
MK Dons 1-2 Bury
Davies, Elford-Alliyu

League One
Bury 2-0 Carlisle
Healy, Beattie

Manager’s Point of View
Another strong month for us as it saw us rise up to 5th​ position in the league to see the new year in with a play-off place. It felt good to win against Portsmouth as it was our first win in seven games. A special mention to Lateef Elford-Alliyu as he has played extremely well scoring five goals in seven games and keeping James Beattie on the bench. The January transfer window is just around the corner and I am looking to bring a few players in to increase the strength of the squad as well as getting rid of some players who are a waste of a wage.

League Table
View attachment 295053

Upcoming Fixtures
01.01.2013 – League One versus Walsall
05.01.2013 – FA Cup versus Crystal Palace
08.01.2013 – Johnstone’s Paint Trophy versus Notts County
12.01.2013 – League One versus Notts County
16.01.2013 – League One versus Tranmere
19.01.2013 – League One versus Yeovil
26.01.2013 – League One versus Stevenage​

January Update

Club News

Andy Bishop returns from loan at Wrexham.

View attachment 295088

Striker Andy Bishop has returned from his loan at Wrexham after the Welsh club decided against extending his loan spell. Bishop made 27 appearances for Wrexham, scoring eight goals and getting three assists. Manager Michael Henson is a fan of Bishop and says that Bishop has a future at the club and will be looking to involve him as much as possible.

Former Shaker joins on loan.

View attachment 295087

Barnsley has let Stephen Dawson join Bury on loan until the end of the season. The Irish midfielder has joined his former club to get some first team experience, something that he was lacking at Oakwell. Dawson is a fan favourite at Gigg Lane following his two year spell which ended in 2010 after his move to Leyton Orient.

Arsenal youngster joins Bury on loan.

View attachment 295086

Twenty-two year old Craig Eastmond has joined Bury on loan until the end of the season. Eastmond has joined the Shakers from Arsenal to aid his development as he has only been involved in Reserve games and the odd cup game at the Emirates.

Beattie Departs.

View attachment 295085

Striker James Beattie has left Gigg Lane just months after joining them on a free transfer. He has joined Mansfield Town in the Blue Square Premier for a believed fee of £10,000. Beattie has seen his first team oppurtunities limited and wanted out to get first team action as his career comes to an end.

Davies goes back.

View attachment 295084

Midfielder Ben Davies has returned to his parent club, Derby, as his loan has expired. With the arrival of Dawson and Eastmond, his appearances would be limited as the younger options get more game time. Davies appeared 19 times for the Shakers, scoring twice and getting five assists and the club wish him well for the future.

View attachment 295083

League One
Bury 1-1 Walsall
Elford-Alliyu

FA Cup 3rd​ Round
Bury 1-0 Crystal Palace
Healy

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy
Notts County 1-1 Bury (Bury win on penalties)
Redmond

League One
Notts County 1-0 Bury

League One
Bury 2-0 Yeovil
Skarz, Elford-Alliyu

Tranmere 2-3 Bury
Bishop x2, Healy

FA Cup 4th​ Round
Swansea 2-0 Bury

League One
Stevenage 1-2 Bury
Healy, Elford-Alliyu

Manager’s Point of View

January was a very hectic moment for us as we saw two loanees come in, two loanees return and a departure. Dawson and Eastmond have come in until the end of the season and will provide great competition for the two central midfielder roles. Andy Bishop has returned from his loan at Wrexham and will go straight into the match squad as I rate him quite highly whilst Ben Davies has returned to Derby and I wish him well for the future. James Beattie has left the club permanently and gone to Mansfield for a small fee. Onto the games and we’ve done quite well for our self as we progressed in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy to the area final and in the FA Cup we got through to the fourth round before being beaten by Premier League side Swansea. We’re up to 4th ​in the league, two points off an automatic promotion slot and five points off the team just outside the play offs. February is a quite month as there are only three league games but the Northern Area Final to look forward to.
League Table
View attachment 295082

Upcoming Fixtures
02.02.13 – League One versus Sheffield United
05.02.13 – Johnstone’s Paint Trophy versus Coventry
09.02.13 – League One versus Hartlepool
19.02.13 – Johnstone’s Paint Trophy versus Coventry
26.02.13 – League One versus Scunthorpe​

The next update will be tomorrow evening after I return from the Carlisle v Bury fixture, let's hope Bury can repeat the result I got against them on the same date in my game!

February Update

View attachment 295267

League One
Bury 1-1 Sheffield United
Worrall

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy
Coventry 0-1 Bury
John-Lewis

League One
Hartlepool 2-0 Bury

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy
Bury 2-0 Coventry
Redmond, Worrall
*Bury go through to the final*

League One
Scunthorpe 0-0 Bury

Manager’s Point of View
I had two aims for this month, with not many league games being played I wanted to go unbeaten and gain at least one win from the three games and the other aim was to get through to the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final. Only one of those aims was achieved and I am extremely disappointed by that as we only qualified for the JPT final. We managed to get a draw against Sheffield United in the league which I thought was good but the results against Hartlepool and Scunthorpe were extremely disappointing as we slipped up in our play-off chase. Let’s hope the next month is better.

League Table

View attachment 295268

Upcoming Fixtures
02.03.13 – League One versus Crawley
09.03.13 – League One versus Coventry
12.03.13 – League One versus Leyton Orient
16.03.13 – League One versus Shrewsbury
30.03.13 – League One versus Bournemouth​

BREAKING NEWS

Henson signs new deal

View attachment 295280View attachment 295303
5 years : Henson will be at Gigg Lane for the next five years after he signed a new contract

Bury Football Club are delighted to announce that interim manager Michael Henson has signed a deal to become the permanent Bury manager for the next five years.

Henson had been in charge of the club since July 2012 after Kevin Blackwell had resigned and has performed wonders getting the club into 5th​ position in the league as well as reaching the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final where Bury will face Stevenage.

Chairman Brian Fenton stated at the start of the season that he was weighing up his options and may opt against giving Henson a permanent deal depending on the results but the young manager must have changed his mind.

Some reports coming from the club suggest that Henson has took a wage cut to remain in the job and is believed to be on as little as £350 a week to maintain a low wage budget which will allow him to bring in a better standard of players.

Quote from Michael Henson
I am delighted to have signed a contract extension at the club I love. I have been a fan of this club since a young age and have been through thick and thin, administration and promotion from League Two. We have been performing well this season and could get into the Championship and get this club to the promised land.

Last edited: