Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that the Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
Just before the seasons start you have to select the shirt numbers for your team.
Some players have preferred numbers and I was wondering do you give them their preferred number or not?
Also was wondering if it affected the player if he didn't get his preferred number or not.

Reaction score
i try and give the players the number they want if i can but if i cant then i will pick one like it. i.e if a player wants number 3 and i cant give it too him i will give him number 33. not sure if it effects the player though.

Reaction score
I do the same as CJACKO. If the number they want eventually opens up, I'll give it to them. Once when I brought on a new defender and gave them number 25, one of the sports journals mentioned it, like "....gives number 3 shirt to Nicolao before giving it to (new defender)". I wonder what that was about.

Reaction score
If i am able to give him (eg. the number is not taken by other players) then i will give it to him... If its taken then no choice but to give him another number..

Reaction score
Traditionally starting first team are given numbers 1-11. This is why journalists say something like player given number x ahead of player etc. Number 3 was traditionally a CB just the way number 9 is known as main starting striker/CF etc

Reaction score
Traditionally starting first team are given numbers 1-11. This is why journalists say something like player given number x ahead of player etc. Number 3 was traditionally a CB just the way number 9 is known as main starting striker/CF etc
I always thought it went as follows:
GK=1 RB=2 CB=5 CB=6 LB=3 RM=7 CM=8 CM=4 LM=11 ST=9 ST=10 for a 4-4-2