Votes: 24 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 54.7%

• Total voters

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Fellow Members,​

Ledley King, perhaps one of the best defenders in the Premier League this season? Well, I haven't seen a thread about this, so i'll just throw it out there.. Should Ledley King play for England in the World Cup?​

LedleyKing_468x702.jpg

Ledley King has played in 19 League games this season, due to his inability to play consecutive games or attend training sessions, although, when he does play.. He is usually unstoppable. With amazing performances in recent weeks, questions are being raised as to whether King should wear the England Shirt this summer.​

King has been praised by many pundits around the world to be the tool to mend the England defence problems, with Rio Ferdinand playing less games than King this year, reports suggest that King could be a key player for England this summer, here are just a few of the praise given to King..​

Thierry Henry said:
I don’t like defenders who hold the shirts of other players. The only defender here who doesn’t do that and sometimes still gets the ball off my feet easily is Ledley King.
Thierry Henry said:
He is the only guy who doesn’t hold players. He will get the ball off you without you even noticing. For me, that is a good defender.

He plays without any contact yet is somehow still strong and gets the ball without doing any fouls.

Harry Redknapp said:
an absolute freak.

Martin Jol said:
the best central defender I have seen in my career

Now, surely with opinions like these, this has to be the right guy for the job, you'd think? Well, Capello once called up King a while back, but actually removed him from the sqaud just before a game, leaving King without a chance to perform at this kind of level.​

King has only notched up 19 national caps with 2 goals. His knee injury allows him to play no more than one game per week, but England have 3 World Cup fixtures in a space of 11 days. This is the downside to Ledley King and perhaps a cause for him not to attend the World Cup, as Capello has already rejected King due to his knee problem once already.​

If Ledley was to go to the World Cup, two major problems would occur.​

• Change of Morale
This is due to Ledley King only being able to train on his own in his own ways, and is unable to train with the team.. This could notch up problems in teamwork and perhaps morale.​

• Is this wasting a valuable place in the 23 man Sqaud?
This is the big question. With Ledley having a limited amount of games, many say that if King is to go to South Africa, then this is almost like wasting a valuable space for another player to play for England, perhaps that could make a major difference. Some state that Matthew Upson or a few other big named English defenders should go instead.​

But what do you think? This will be talked about a lot over this next month, and its really worth making a thread about, the discussions and opinions around this are great to hear and nothing will be certain until the outcome. I've added a poll for you guys to vote, don't forget to leave your opinion on the situation with a comment! Follow the forum rules, stick to the topic of Ledley King, and get stuck in with the opinions. 8-|​

Thanks for reading,​

FourFourTwo.​

________​

Last edited:
No, too big of a risk.

It would be ludicrous taking a player to the WC who can't train.

That said, he is a fantastic CB.

Yes. he should go.

\he should be next in after terry and rio/

No. With Rio now seeming to be injury prone, we don't need another injury prone. Safer bringing a player like M.Dawson, Jagielka,M.Richards and so on.

It's a tough call to make for Capello due to King's inability to stay fit and him missing out on most of Spurs' games this season.However,with him playing,he as always been top class for them and,despite Spurs losing 3-1 to Manchester United at Old Trafford,he was rock-solid at the back.

Capello even likes King.Although he may be unreliable fitness wise,he's a good shot for the WC.

And like CJ said...

Yes.

View attachment 61968

I would take 4 or 5 cbs
CBS: Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Lescott, King

No, too big of a risk.

It would be ludicrous taking a player to the WC who can't train.

...whereas in the past, it wasn't ludicrous to take, for example, Wes Brown or Theo Walcott, who went along 'for the experience'.

In any other season, this would be a no-brainer, but the lack of quality backup for Ferdinand and Terry (who is woefully short of form in any case) means Capello must surely look at King as a viable option? We're talking about a 6 week tournament, Spurs seem to have worked out when and when they can't play him and manage his fitness, and if they are consulted I see no reason why King can't play a role in South Africa. Lord knows he's good enough. If not King, then who?

Don't get me wrong, King is one of the best CB's in the league. But him & Ferdinand are injury prone. I think it'd be smarter going for one who's perhaps not as good, but fit more often

No in the world cup we would be playing two matches a week and king wouldn't train half the time, it would be a waste.

I don't know why Upson should go he is in a team who have just survived relegation!

The other two CBs should be Dawson and Jagielka, IMO (H)

No

Never fit enough

cant play two games in a week

with a busy world cup schedule, if injuries occur, he is not reliable to be fit to step in

The quote from Harry Redknapp, "an absolute freak" made me laugh. He is a great defender and will go to the World Cup.

Yes, he can cover CB and DM. He's fast, good with his head and feet (which is not always the case with some of the other 'Have it!' defenders in the prem) and, most importantly, he IS one of England's best defenders.

I also think Campbell and Dawson (I know he probably falls into the 'Have it!' category) should go instead of Lescott and Upson, as the latter two have been pretty bad for most of this season. They'll only be back-ups anyway -- JT and RF are without doubt Capello's first choice.

On top of that, I think if Green, Foster or Carson are England's number one we will not win the World Cup. Green is over-rated (and I hope Redknapp doesn't bring him to Spurs as rumoured in January), Carson is a calamity waiting to happen, and Foster has no where enough experience of big games or a decent run in a team. It's got to be James in goal. His age doesn't matter -- the World Cup is only on for a month, it's not like he's going to suddenly seize up in that amount of time.

Lescott bad for most of this season? please watch some man city games then come talk to me, hes been one of our most consistent performers this season

Honestly? I actually like and rate Lescott, but nearly everytime I've watched City (only on t.v but quite often) he has been picked out as playing below par and being caught out of position on numerous occasions by a variety of pundits. Or is this just because most of Cities team changed last summer and he's maybe plugging the weaknesses of others around him?

hes gotten better under mancini, mancini plays with a rigid structured defence, under hughes it was all over the place, and i can see how people were caught out of position

Ah, I stand corrected then :) Looking forward to tomorrow -- it's going to be a nervy one.

I mean today -- ****, I better log off or I'll never get up for work, lol.

Last edited: