Should Sir Alex stay on at Man Utd or should he go in the summer?

Ronin

Reaction score
The debate that has raged on for the last two or three seasons shows no sign of abaiting despite Sunday's Carling Cup success. Is Fergie still up to the task of leading the worlds biggest club?

Sunday saw United win their first trophy in two years, but can a season in which they finished bottom of their Champions League group, crashed out of the FA Cup in the fifth round and trail Chelsea by 15 points in the league be considered a success? Or is Ferguson right about Uniteds transition coming to an end and the Carling Cup being the springboard from which to launch the Red Revolution?

The most important question being : CAN Ferguson lead Man U back to the top of European football or is it time for a change? I'd like to hear what everyone has to say.

Well if they are going to get rid of him then they should of done it in January and give the manager time to get used to the league instead of wasting another season by brining him in during the summer.

Fergies lost it....a bit

But I couldnt see another manager coming in and takin Man U back to the top of europe any time soon. The lieks of Chelsea, Barca and Real Madrids spendign power is far too strong for them to compete with.

I hate Man Yoo, but wud like 2 c a more competitive Prem even if that means Utd return to the strength they had 2 or 3 years ago.

Fergie will have max 2 more years as he so badly wants to compete with Chelsea in prem and win Champs League again

I think he should stay for at least another season unless we could get a really good top quality manager sooner than end of next season.

andal said:
I hate Man Yoo, but wud like 2 c a more competitive Prem even if that means Utd return to the strength they had 2 or 3 years ago.

Even if we did return to our strength when we were at our best we still wont be as good as Chelsea are now (or Arsenal were in their unbeaten season).

Ferguson isn't going anywhere. I think he has done well since the Chelsea boom. Finishing in the top 3 for two seasons in a row wasn't bad and a 2nd place (probably) this year is alright to.

Don't forget that he also won the FA Cup in 03/04, should have won the FA Cup in 04/05 and won one of the 4 trophies available to him this season.

So for me he is staying!

I don't think things are as bad at Old Trafford as some people would like to have you believe, but I don't think finishing third in three of the last four seasons is good enough. Yes we are second at the moment, but I honestly feel that has more to do with Arsenal's shortcomings this season (Ha! Ha!) than our own progress.

I've been a Man Utd fan since I was 9 years old (1988) so Fergie is the only Man Utd manager I've known and I think he is a god, but football's evolved a lot over the years and I don't think his management has. Does he have the guile to take on the new breed of managers, i.e. Mourinho, Wenger and Benitez etc.?

Lets not use the Carling cup (much derided by the club and fans alike over the last decade) to put a gloss on what has been a very disappointing season. If Sir Alex were to judge his performance over the last few seasons by the same "Nothing But Perfect Will Do" scale as he applies to his players, I think he would have been on the first coach out of Manchester by now.

I think give him one more season after this one, if anyone deserves more time he does for what he has done at the club. He should decide when he goes,but if next year is trophyless then bring in someone like Hitzfeld or Capello (if possible), and if we win one or two things next season, then he goes out on a high. He will be able to get midfielders in the summer which should improve us alot. Sean, we can be as good as Chelsea are if things go right-remember they only beat our records total of a few years ago by a few. Teams are scared of them like they were us...the only reason they are so far ahead is because we have played badly and havent had strength like they have. But I reckon Fergie will change it round and even this season we can get a decent second. So of course he stays,after all he is THE MOST SUCCESSFUL MANAGER IN BRITISH FOOTBALL EVER. EVER.

I’m of the belief that Old Trafford’s in a spot of trouble, but so much so that they should sack the manager? I’m not sure. I don’t like Ferguson, as much as the next guy but facing facts, he’s a proven successful manager even if his methods are not all that conventional. Of course, being that he’s getting on in age, others have been quick to suggest he’s lost his touch, the touch that he once had.

Some new blood could do Man Utd a world of good, or it could potentially upset what has been a lengthy reign under Ferguson’s belt. The first question you have to ask yourselves is, is there a manager capable of taking up the post, capable of becoming Alex Ferguson’s replacement? With Jose Mourinho blissfully taken, my answer is a firm no and as such, there’s no real need to get rid of him. It’s not like United are facing relegation afterall, they’ve still made their claim as relatively decent title contenders, whether they’ll up their act next season remains to be seen but coming from an Arsenal fan, let’s hope not eh!

I agree, there are only a handful of managers in the world who could do as good a job as Fergie. One of the reasons I started this thread is because over the past few years there have been three names constantly linked with United: Martin O'Niel; Guus Hiddink & Sven. At least two of them wont be the next England manager. Could one of them be the next United gaffer?

Sean, I think you are either not giving Man Utd enough credit or you are giving Chelsea and Arsenal too much. I remember before the 98/99 season even kicked off, people were already talking about United doing the treble that year, that's how good that team were. Here we are, going into March already, and there's been no serious talk of Chelsea doing it, it's all been "Well they can do it, but..."

If we make the right signings in the right positions, we'll be able to challenge for REAL honours next year. Besides, United only peak in March. By the end of the season we'll be within 6 points of Chelsea (he says in an uncontrollable fit of blind optimism!).

Ferguson isn't going anywhere. I think he has done well since the Chelsea boom. Finishing in the top 3 for two seasons in a row wasn't bad and a 2nd place (probably) this year is alright to.

Don't forget that he also won the FA Cup in 03/04, should have won the FA Cup in 04/05 and won one of the 4 trophies available to him this season.

Sorry Sean but this is a complete load of ****. Before Abramovich turned up, would you (or any other Man Utd fan) have been happy with a top 3 finish? And 2nd place is acceptable? Forget Chelsea and that means finishing in the top 2 for 2 seasons is good enough and 2nd place this year is good enough too. From Premiership dominators?
Fergie has lost it. Alan Smith, Louis Saha, Liam Miller. Money well wasted. Ronaldo is played out of position and then destroyed by the media but Ferguson defends his corner.
Sorry Man Utd fans, this aint a personal dig ,just an observation

I say he's done a good job over his career at MU and it's unfair to criticise him for a few non championship winning seasons.
When he took over, the club weren't great, mid table div1 as it was then before we became premier league, and the players that were in that great dominating team, are getting older now, they weren't all world class when they played their first league games, but they become world class over a few seasons playing with the likes of Denis Irwin, Mark Hughes, Andre Kanchelskis, Brian Mclair, Paul Parker, Peter Schmeichel(sp), Bryan Robson, Paul Ince and the like, now the new breed need that time to be able to fit the mould of the team, you can't always buy quality players and they perform straight away, they need time to settle, look at Drogba he was a bigger waste of money that all those players quoted.

boozad said:
Fergie has lost it. Alan Smith, Louis Saha, Liam Miller. Money well wasted. Ronaldo is played out of position and then destroyed by the media but Ferguson defends his corner.
Sorry Man Utd fans, this aint a personal dig ,just an observation

Then its a cack observation. Alan Smith was a asuccess in his first season,when he was played upfront he scored a fair few. He has settled into midfield reasonably well, and would have done more so if he hadnt got the injury. Saha has been unfortunate with injuries and has proved that when he is fit and gets a long run, he will score. As for Liam Miller,sure he's awful..but he was free you nonce. And where do you expect him to played Ronaldo? Left back?

The next three months are crucial for Fergie. If United are able to claw back some ground on Chelsea and maybe finish 6 or 7 points behind, he will definitely be kept on for another season. However, if we slip further behind or finish behind Liverpool the board may decide to call time on his career. We have to take a step forward this season, and so far we haven't. Yes we won the Carling Cup, but I'd rather still be in Europe.

ajw said:
Alan Smith was a asuccess in his first season,when he was played upfront he scored a fair few. He has settled into midfield reasonably well, and would have done more so if he hadnt got the injury. Saha has been unfortunate with injuries and has proved that when he is fit and gets a long run, he will score. As for Liam Miller,sure he's awful..but he was free you nonce. And where do you expect him to played Ronaldo? Left back?

Smith 11 goals in 74 appearances. Saha waste of money. i knw he has been injured but most of his goals have *** in Carling cup. Utd need sum1 who will score in Prem and more importantly Europe. U must not let Van Niistlerooy go, especially 4 less than u paid.

Ronaldo u shud sell he aint a Prem player, wud b more at home in Spain or Italy, where players have more time on the ball

Last edited:
I reckon he should stay, because although they've been pretty lame for the past couple of seasons he is still one of the best managers in the world!!
And if it weren't for Jose Mourinho then he would probably be the best around!!

If they finish second this season and win the F.A cup aswell then he should definately stay on, at least for another season.

I dont think he has wasted money on Smith or Saha, well maybe a bit of Saha but 13m was a bit too much maybe 7m would of been better. I think we should of got Defoe at the time he went to Spurs and we got Saha. Smith is money well spent if you ask me. Liam Miller is only young so its not wasted. Kleberson Djemba-Djemba now that was money wasted they did nothing for us at all.

Lloyd you full of meecrob!

Alan Smith, hes now a midfileder, would you agree? if so hes a below average player as he is a below average midfields. H ecant tackle to save himself and rarely hits the killer ball. As a stiker hes slightly above average, nott he greatest finisher but gives a good bit of aggression up front.

As for Miller he has been awful for you. He had half a seaosn at Celtic where he was amazing. For you hes been nothing better than BELOW AVERAGE! Also he isnt that young, he must be approacinh 25 by now as he was 23 when he left Celtic 2 seasons ago hence the lack of compo feee.

andal said:
Smith 11 goals in 74 appearances. Saha waste of money. i knw he has been injured but most of his goals have *** in Carling cup. Utd need sum1 who will score in Prem and more importantly Europe. U must not let Van Niistlerooy go, especially 4 less than u paid.

Ronaldo u shud sell he aint a Prem player, wud b more at home in Spain or Italy, where players have more time on the ball

Half of Smiths games have been as a midfielder,some of Saha's goals have come in the cup cos he was regaining fitness. And Ronaldo would get murdered in Italy, and would fare no better in Spain.

Fergie should step down as he can`t take man u any further than he has already cos the longer he stays incharge the further behind the others they`ll get