Morning guys.

Been trying to make a tactic that works fairly well at all levels. First tried with liverpool....won league. Next Burton....knocked out of playoff final ffs. Then Norwich.....won league ( expected ) and also FA cup!!. I'm working away at mo so not getting alot of game time so please guys try with lower league teams for me. Ps look at those cup results aginst the giants!!

View attachment 1093339 View attachment 1093336 View attachment 1093340 View attachment 1093341

Soz about quality as from phone. Working away sucks!!

Ps. I always try to get a good assistant who 75% of the time sets up opp instructions.

Cheers guys.

what mentalety do u use?? standard or attack or control??

very funny but this is how it works..try to take any tac and, for example, play 2Dclassic extended matches and every tactic will be in the best average

than just turn matches to only commentary and you will find out that same average tactis can be world class

very funny but this is how it works..try to take any tac and, for example, play 2Dclassic extended matches and every tactic will be in the best average

than just turn matches to only commentary and you will find out that same average tactis can be world class

cant agree bro.i watch majority of matches in 2d,full match and the results are great.currently top with las palmas in la liga after 10 games

I always start my career at Shamrock rovers.
I've been doing it in every management game I could because starting your career as an unknown at a huge team, with great players and a multi million pound budget is unrealistic (and FM players like to believe they are better than Fifa career mode players yeah?).

Start at the bottom and work your way up.

Times of wonder tactics are gone long FM ago. Times when you could easly win Premier league first season using wonder tactic from forum with lowlevel team gone long FM ago. Just like in real life. It's Football Manager not FIFA.
FM is now MUCH MORE then wonder tactics from forum and you should understand that. However good tactic suited for your team its a must.
There are different ways to play FM. Some like to challenge and play with underdogs and some like to play top teams with famous player. Other (like me) are playing only with one team on every FM because they are huge fans on that team.
Playing FM should be fun and not impressing anyone. Just my 2 cents...

I've managed to dig out my old account details just to post on this thread. There are some very interesting views here. I share the same view as many of you with regards to how to play the game 'properly'. I like to start the game at the lowest level possible and try to work my way up to the top of the footballing pyramid. Some people may like to play as City, United, Barca, Real Madrid, etc, which is fine, but it's not for me. I like to play the game with a bit of realism.

With my current save, I started the game with a club that is relatively close to where I live...Weston Super Mare. Despite the media predicting us to finish 18th, and be involved in a relegation scrap, we managed to finish in a comfortable mid table position of 10th. I also managed to take the club to an FA Cup 2nd Round tie at home to Forest Green Rovers, which we lost 3-2 after leading twice, and losing to a very late goal. The dream of reaching the FA Cup 3rd Round was a stretch too far...

Over the summer, we kept the majority of our key players aswell as making some very good additions to the squad. We lost our main striker to Cheltenham, who are now paying him £800 per week (we were paying him £100 per game, so you can't blame him for going!) The media have predicted us to finish 8th this season, and we currently sit in 3rd after 17 games. After such a good start, I will be very disappointed if we don't make the playoffs this season, another cup run will also be welcome. If I don't take WSM up this season, I may look elsewhere for a job in League 2/Vanarama National

It's not easy with a wage budget of 3.7k per week, so you have to make the most of the free transfer/loan markets. It is very frustrating when one of your players gets snapped up for free but as the LLM players here will know, that's all part of the game.

I couldn't recommend a LLM/Journeyman save enough. It's hard work, but so rewarding when you taste a bit of success.

I probably should have said something about the tactics I'm using, seeing as this is the tactics section...As I'm managing a Vanarama South team,

I probably should have said something about the tactics I'm using, seeing as this is the tactics section...As I'm managing a Vanarama South team, I've kept the tactics as simple as possible.

I'm playing a 4-4-2, sometimes a 4-4-1-1 as I have a very good AMC, with as little instructions as possible. I like to have players with high passing ability so I have asked the team to retain possession, which seems to be working well for me, and occasionally I will set the tackling to 'get stuck in'. I'll use this against the better teams in the league to soften them up a bit, or in a cup game against a team from a higher division.

My advice for any lower league managers is to keep it basic. Play a standard 4-4-2 with as little instructions as possible. These are non league/part time footballers, they aren't going to react well to complicated tactics and too many instructions.

Thanks to this thread, I've just started my first FM17 game with a real fresh approach. I'll be playing around and tweaking my own tactics.

I've also decided to give myself the worst possible start. I took the lowest manager stats and I plan to take Sedlescombe Rangers, Mid-Sussex Football League Division Nine (lowest league in England).

I'm starting off with 4-3-3 Wide tactic. A focus on 'we'll score more than you' approach. I've spent more time setting up this game than any other before.

Thanks guys for the inadvertent inspiration... I'll be back next week with a 'fu you i'm using downloaded tactics and Barca forever post' ;'D

I used a 4-1-2-3 with Newcastle (yes big team in champ but I won the FA Cup!).

Control or attacking.
1 TM and 2 Advanced forwards up top.
Defensive mid, deep lying playmaker and box to box.
Wing backs too provide width.

Didnt get much possession but scored plenty of goals. Mitrovic as target man and then two of Gayle, Ayoze Perez or Wells.

I'm using few tactics from this forum, i'm managing polish club named Korona Kielce. Try my season fifth time and all over i get this same: friendly matches W: 3-4 D: 3-4 L: 0 , season matches W: 3-4 D: 0-1 L: 7-8. My team try to win matches, few looses was been like 1:2, 3:4, 0:1 but when i see my gk that lost all shoots and my strikers didnt see goal... it's annoying to see how my team plays. any advices for poor teams?

Last edited:
Who are you people to question how X or Y have fun?? I mean isn't that the reason we play FM or video games in General? to have fun?
People payed to play the game, let them play how they want play with who they want to play.

Think I agree with most of the previous posts. I'm currently on a LLM game with ENG/SPA/ITA/GER/FRA leagues loaded (no experience, no coaching quals) - had a horrendous start with Grimsby, sacked after 15 games having won just 3.

Next job with Renate in Italy Serie CA and went proper back to basics with a 3-4-2-1, no other team instructions and relying on the main tactics and then gradually tweaking it. So far 6 games unbeaten playing attacking at home, defensive away. Need to tweak this a bit to score more away but being unbeaten is pretty good so far.

Don't give lots of complicated instructions to lower league players - your DLP with a passing of 10 and vision of 8 will not be playing Gerrrard-esque through balls...play the odds, which is why I like my formations to be reasonably compact and aim to have at least a player on each 'level' up the pitch.

One thing I have found useful when your scouting range isn't large, is to look through the national teams, particularly U21 and U18 and offer non contracted players for trial - you can see how good they are without the scouting. Obviously, your ability to pay the wages is restricted but if you're lucky you can pick up some gems.