• Thread starter Thread starter Lee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 5K

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
Mkcdm.jpg

David Gill, right, Manchester United's chief executive, has been talking to Sir Alex Ferguson in an attempt to resolve the impasse with the BBC. Photograph: Shannon Stapleton/Reuters

Sir Alex Ferguson considers ending his lengthy BBC vow of silence

Sir Alex Ferguson is considering abandoning his boycott of the BBC, thus ending one of the oldest grudges of his career, amid growing pressure from the Premier League and the League Managers Association (LMA). The Premier League has written to Manchester United explaining that Ferguson will face a sliding scale of punishments if he continues to ignore Match of the Day and 5 Live. Richard Bevan, the chief executive of the LMA, has had conversations with the Old Trafford manager to try to persuade him to put his grievances to one side.

The talks have been described as delicate and finely poised, with Ferguson dismayed by the idea that he may have to speak to the institution for the first time since a Panorama documentary in 2004, entitled Father and Son, about the business activities of his son Jason, then working as a football agent.

The Premier League has brought in a new rule stipulating that all managers must speak to the broadcasting rights-holders, which include the BBC, and there have been discussions behind the scenes, with Bevan acting as an intermediary to try to talk around one of the most famously stubborn managers in the business.

Ferguson's initial reaction was that he would ignore the new rule, regardless of the consequences, until his family received an apology from the BBC, which he has accused of "breathtaking arrogance".

Since then, however, there have been more high-level talks, with BBC officials and United's chief executive, David Gill, involved. The club are sympathetic to Ferguson's grievances but, behind the scenes, there is a feeling that it is becoming a battle he cannot win – at least if he wants to avoid a series of escalating fines.

In previous years Ferguson was immune to punishment because of a loophole in the rules, which requested that managers talk to the rights-holders under a "best endeavours" clause. Tightening it was specifically designed to tackle Ferguson's habit of dodging the BBC, the United manager usually sending his assistant, Mike Phelan, to answer their questions.

Ferguson did break the boycott to present Sir Bobby Robson with a lifetime achievement award on the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards programme in 2007, but his opinion about the institution can be gauged from an interview earlier that year.

"The BBC is the kind of company that never apologise, and they never will apologise," he said. "They did a story about my son that was a whole lot of nonsense. It was all made-up stuff, brown paper bags and that kind of carry-on. It was a horrible attack on my son's honour and he should never have been accused of that.

"But it is such a huge organisation that they will never apologise. They don't even care if you sue them or whatever, because they are so huge and have insurance. They carry on regardless and it's breathtaking."

The BBC has tried to initiate talks with Ferguson but with no success. Acutely aware of the delicacy of the situation, it does not expect to receive confirmation about his plans until United's first weekend match of the new league season, against Fulham on 22 August.

However, the Premier League has withdrawn its plans to introduce another rule that could have forced Ferguson to attend post-match press conferences.

For the past seven years Ferguson has been the only manager in the league not to talk to newspaper reporters after league games, giving interviews only to Sky and Manchester United's in-house television station, MUTV. The plan was to make it mandatory for a manager or senior member of the coaching staff to hold a press conference, but that will probably not be introduced until the 2011-12 season.

I thought he had been told he had to speak to them a while ago? Either way, he should speak to the BBC, even if he doesn't like them.

Well,it is time for him to cut it now and to just return to doing interviews on MotD.

Especially since he is retiring soon.

I thought all he had to go was to talk to who ever covered the game live(if it was on TV at all) so in champs league games ITV or Sky and Prem Sky. I thought that was the agreement with the sponsorship money, so why does he Have to talk to the bbc.

If it weren't true, he'd have sued. Not like he's skint.

Sorry, but there is a seamy side to football and several British managers have been involved in it. (Heck, Clough would have have got banned from the game by all accounts if he hadn't been at death's door when the investigation was going).

I thought all he had to go was to talk to who ever covered the game live(if it was on TV at all) so in champs league games ITV or Sky and Prem Sky. I thought that was the agreement with the sponsorship money, so why does he Have to talk to the bbc.

He should talk to BBC, instead of being an old fart.:P

Don't know what the Panorama report actually said about his son, but surely if he doesn't want to speak to them he doesn't have to..

Don't know what the Panorama report actually said about his son, but surely if he doesn't want to speak to them he doesn't have to..

The only agent allowed into Carrington. Players he represents consistently signed for Manchester United and then sold on for a loss. etc Was going to court when the Irish and Ferguson were having their spat over the racehorse as the Irish claimed that Ferguson's conduct needed to be examined, both sides settled out of court before we got to hear the full details.

It does seem petty that he wont do post match interviews with the BBC but that is his choice and his right not to.

His decision at the end of the day I suppose.

as much as i hate ferguson it will be better seeing him than that **** mike phelen on motd.

as much as i hate ferguson it will be better seeing him than that **** mike phelen on motd.

What has Mike Phelan ever done to upset anyone? Surely he has never done anything to offend you?

phelen is more bullshitting than fergie has ever been. never tells the truth in his interviews. so blinded from the truth at times.

phelen is more bullshitting than fergie has ever been. never tells the truth in his interviews. so blinded from the truth at times.

That is such ****. He is fairly unbiased in his Press conference, he generally tells the turth, like when asked about the position of certain people with in the squad he is honest, i rember when he was asked about nani, all he said was" he isnt in the side today, he will need to keep trying hard at training and he will get in the side".

so? mute it when he's being interviewed or if you cant bear it change the channel :P

That is such ****. He is fairly unbiased in his Press conference, he generally tells the turth, like when asked about the position of certain people with in the squad he is honest, i rember when he was asked about nani, all he said was" he isnt in the side today, he will need to keep trying hard at training and he will get in the side".

im on about when utd drop points. its always other peoples fault not the teams. just my opinion.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

so? mute it when he's being interviewed or if you cant bear it change the channel :P

in a way its like music to my ears when he blaims other people or things.

im on about when utd drop points. its always other peoples fault not the teams. just my opinion.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

in a way its like music to my ears when he blaims other people or things.

That's what all managers do though is it not?..
Take the spotlight off their players to avoid and disharmony in the squad?..

Adrian Chiles is the only MOTD person I hate. Gerrard refuses to talk to him :D

Of Course Ancellotti isnt a "bullshitting ****" when he complains over the fitness levels of the chelsea stars, who need more then 3 weeks break, between the end of the World cup and when they start pre season, as an excuse for losing the last 3 Pre season games.

Back