united762000

Reaction score
Following the shocking announcement that Sir Alex is to vacate his thrown as the king of Old Trafford I started thinking about the great times I have had personally watching Manchester United. Ferguson over the years has continually developed his squad and in my eyes has developed 4 what I would call great squads that each had their own style of play.
The first great squad was from 1992 -1994. This side clinched United first title for 26 years and the following season won the club's first double. This side was a fast and powerful side with pacey wingers and a no nonsense center midfield.

The second great squad was the 1995-1997 side that was tipped to win nothing by Alan Hansen on Match of the Day back in August 1995. This side was built around the Talismanic Eric Cantona with him being the focal point for the team. Everything seemed to go through him, Ryan Giggs was an explosive winger, Paul Scholes was a more advanced midfielder and David Beckham was showing the world his incredible passing attributes.

Thirdly the 1998-2001 squad is considered by many to be United's greatest ever squad. This squad had 4 of the most gifted front players in the game at the time in Yorke, Cole, Sheringham and Solskjaer. This team was all about fast and direct attacking football. Europe stood in awe as United became the first team in a major european league to win the treble. Paul Scholes became, as Zidane said at the time, the most complete modern day midfielder in the game. Jaap Stam and Roy Keane provided steel through the middle of the park and Peter Shmeichel was immense in goal.

And finally the 2006-2008 squad which saw Ferguson take the raw talents of Wayne Rooney and "show pony" Christiano Ronaldo and and turn them into world class players. This side broke Chelsea's grip on the Premier League and put United back at the summit of european football. This was probably the biggest squad of the 4 and the one that was rotated the most and in my opinion the one that really stands out. Ferguson managed to keep the squad happy used the right players in the right games. Ji Sung Park and Darren Fletcher always seemed to thrive in big games against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea and Ferguson knew that.

Ferguson's ability to keep his players happy and to keep his players disciplined is one of the key reasons why United are where they are. United players very rarely come out in the press moaning about playing time or contradict what the manager had said. In short, Ferguson's ability to micro manage arguably the biggest club in the world is the key to his longevity.
Now I would like to ask any tactic creators out there to see if they can replicate some of Ferguson's most successful tactics. I have seen some before but they were in classic mode and to be frank, classic mode is a bit of a cop out. It takes no thought to create and is like playing CM3 again. So Raikan,TBH, Woody, LordofAVB etc. any sugestions??

Fergi plays a 4-4-1-1, with heavy reliance in the midfield centre two (Currently Carrick + Whoever else :p). His CAM is very important as well, (Rooney, Kagawa, etc). The wingers come infield so they act as IF's (most of the time). The Fullbacks overlap and put their crosses into the box.

I can give it a go, No promises tho :p

Can do 2006-2009 and 1998 - 2001

Will post them tomorrow morning

It will be a cold day in **** when I do Alex Ferguson/Manchester Utd tactics. No chance. Sorry.

You didn't read the bottom line of the opening post then which I was replying to.

Im surprised you still do tactics at all tbh. Every time I think about writing about a concept, I see the abuse you get and instantly scrap it.

Did you do these??

In the middle of 2006-2009 now. I had the concepts done already, but I decided I wanted a game tested version instead.

Dont know if I can do a game tested 1998-2001 though, as I already have 3 tactics in use. Can put up the concept if anyone wants to test it though

In the middle of 2006-2009 now. I had the concepts done already, but I decided I wanted a game tested version instead.

Dont know if I can do a game tested 1998-2001 though, as I already have 3 tactics in use. Can put up the concept if anyone wants to test it though

Go for it!!
That's probably the time I was most into my football, great memories!

Im surprised you still do tactics at all tbh. Every time I think about writing about a concept, I see the abuse you get and instantly scrap it.

Come FM14 Mike i wont be. Looking forward to enjoying a nice long save without thinking about testing and training and teamtalks etc. Id much rather help people make their own tactics now and understand how to get the best of the ME consistently rather than relying on people bringing out one all conquering tactic.

Any news on this...you left me hanging like a *******?!

Any news on this...you left me hanging like a *******?!

This is my conceptual setup so far, based on Fergusons classic approach (bands of 2, which is the rigid philosophy):

Can also use Standard and Control

9eHKkAs.png

Rooney's role is modified, as a more involved Treq, Tevez and Rooney would put in far more work than a standard Treq would ( but with the ability to modify the main instructions using shouts, which is why I chose to modify the Attacking Mid role and not the Treq role):

XF5GRMV.png

However I'm not yet fully convinced that Rigid is the best one to go with just yet. I'm also experimenting with Balanced

Rigid then set the front 3 to roam from positions and give them a lot of creative freedom would be the best way to go imo.