SL Benfica - Breaking the Guttmann Curse

1599855069435.png

Jose Antonio Camacho
2002-04 & 2007-08
P109 W65 D27 L17 F190 A89 W%59.63

Camacho had 2 spells at the club but only managed to win 1 Portuguese cup in his spell although that did come up against Jose Mourinho's FC Porto. His 2nd spell was quite unsuccessful tbh.

--

DECEMBER

tondela.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias (Sarr), Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Dantas), Rafa, Felix, Everton*, Dembele

Obviously I am delighted to have scored 6 goals which means we have scored 4, 5 and 6 in our last 3 games but I am ****** off that we conceded twice. The first goal especially was a defensive nightmare.

--

UEFA Champions League Group D
4-1.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias (Sarr), Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Dantas), Rafa, Felix, Everton, Dembele*

Moussa Dembele loves playing against PSV as he got 4 goals in our first meeting and another hat-trick here and he also got the assist for Rafa's goal! To make things even better, Bayern Munich drew with Salzburg so we actually finish as group winners.

--

4-0.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Rafa, Almada, Everton*, Dembele (Ramos)

Never mind the 4 goal win or the fact that it is 19 goals in our last 4 league games - Renato Sanches finally got off the mark for the season!!! Considering he scored 14 goals last season it is long overdue.

--

Taca de Portugal 5th Round
5-0.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis (Dantas), Sanches (Camara), Tsygankov, Almada, Everton (Embalo), Dembele*

I decided to rest a few players here and it paid off as we won through to the quarter-finals. Dembele had an off day last time out but was back amongst the goals here with yet another hat-trick.

--

Allianz Cup 3rd Phase Group C
sl.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Dantas), Sanches, Tsygankov, Almada*, Everton (Embalo), Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

Amazingly we are out of the Allianz Cup despite having 7pts from all 3 matches - the same as Sporting Lisbon. We have scored the same amount of goals and conceded the same amount so I dont know why we are runners-up?

**** the Guttmann curse in Europe - who has the curse over the Allianz Cup - I have still yet to win it!

--

pdf.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Sarr, Ferro, Grimaldo*, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Rafa, Felix, Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

Another big win in the league. Grimaldo has now scored in his last 3 league games while Felix missed a penalty so it could have been six.

--

SUMMARY

Largely this month was a great success and we head into 2022 in high spirits. In the league we are back destroying teams and in our last 5 fixtures we have scored 4, 5, 6, 4 and 5 goals respectively. We are 3pts clear with a game in hand so all is good.

We progressed in the Taca de Portugal and finished up as group winners in the Champions League but alas the draw has not been kind as Juventus lie in wait.

Unfortunately the **** up of the month was our elimination from the Allianz Cup. I still dont know why we were eliminated and probably need to check the rules of the competition as both ourselves and Sporting Lisbon were identically matched!!!!

January will probably see a glut of transfer bids for my players as currently the following players are wanted - Dias, Ferro, T.Tavares, Morato, N.Tavares, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Embalo, Everton and finally Dembele!!!!!!

Thats not to mention the players in my minor squads.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALEX GRIMALDO

grimaldo.png

--

LIGA NOS
dec.png

1599912975036.png

Jimmy Hagan
1970-73
P120 W94 D14 L12 F339 A80 W%78.33

Hagan was appointed a few years after he left WBA and led the club to 3 successive league titles and 1 Portuguese cup. He also managed the side to become unbeaten in the league during one campaign!

--

JANUARY

sporting.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Sarr (Morato), Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Jocu), Dantas, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton*, Dembele

A great performance which is kinda annoying considering we drew 1-1 with them to see us eliminated (dont know why still lol) from the Allianz Cup. Everton scored a contender for goal of the season when he took the ball from inside his own half, beat several players before slotting home. Dembele also had a goal disallowed.

--

santa clara.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Jocu), Dantas, Rafa, Felix (Almada), Everton*, Dembele

Tiago Dantas introduced himself to the supporters here. He played an exquisite 50 yard looped pass to find Dembele to score our 3rd goal - it was a thing of beauty. Dembele had a goal disallowed again here also!

--

Taca de Portugal Quarter-Final
marit.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Dantas (Jocu), Tsygankov, Felix (Almada), Everton*, Dembele

Nothing to see here - a standard win. Tbh I am pleased that Tsygankov got a goal - he and Almada deserve more starts but while my team are banging in the goals I cant drop anyone. 3 MOM awards in a row for Everton,

--

vg.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Sarr, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Dantas), Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton, Dembele (Carlos Vinicius*)

Remember Carlos Vinicius? lol. He came off the bench to win us the game with 2 headers. He has hardly had a sniff this season such has been Dembele's form but he came up trumps here.

--

2-0.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo*, Luis (Dantas), Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Everton, Dembele

I have just realised that despite Moussa Dembele scoring goals every week he is not my top scorer in the league - that is Everton at the moment! He really is having a superb season and has 15 league goals now. Dembele has 13. In all competitions however Dembele is 8 ahead.

--

1-0.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo*, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix (Almada), Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

Carlos Vinicius saves the day again here. Just before that Thiago Almada sent a penalty past the post.

--

opporto.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton, Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

Meh. We were on a 10 game win streak in the league but that was ended here. At least we didnt lose!

--

SUMMARY

January was filled with matches and also as expected filled with transfer bids for my players!!! I didnt sell anyone but got tons of offers including £80m for Rafa and also Everton, £66m for Dembele, £30m for Tomas Tavares, £45m for Sanches, £25m for Nuno Tavares, £45m for Ferro............. I could go on! In fact I think I could have recouped almost £500m!!!!

I did sign 2 players during the window and as I eluded to last month it was 2 Uruguayan prospects in Ignacio Laquinatana and Sebastian Rodriguez. Both are in their very early 20s and have been loaned out. The plan is for them to get regular football and to be sold on for a handsome profit and of course help the national team.

On the field we won every match apart from our last one as we drew 0-0 away to FC Porto which isnt a bad result.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
EVERTON
EVERTON.png

--

LIGA NOS
JAN.png

Last edited:
1599925917638.png

Jupp Heynckes
1999-2000
P48 W27 D8 L13 F81 *** W%56.25

Another huge name in the managerial world but Heynckes didnt win a trophy in his spell in charge at Benfica and if you look at the fact that they conceded 55 goals in 48 games it is no surprise!!! In fact he lost a UEFA Cup match 7-0 to Celta Vigo and also gave club icon Joao Pinto a free transfer!

--

FEBRUARY

Taca de Portugal Semi-Final 1st Leg
rio ave.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Everton*, Dembele

This should be good enough to see us into the final and I will play my backups in the 2nd leg. Surely we wont throw away a 3 goal lead!

--

leixoes.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias, Ferro (Sarr), Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix*, Everton, Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

The two players who should have scored much more goals than they have so far this season both got on the scoresheet here with Joao Felix getting only his 3rd goal from open play.

--

Taca de Portugal Semi-Final 2nd Leg
0-0.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares, Morato, Sarr, N.Tavares (Rodrigues), Dantas*, Camara, Tsygankov, Almada (Ramos), Embalo, Carlos Vinicius (Resende)

Meh.

--

portimonense.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix*, Everton, Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

Joao Felix had his best game in a Benfica shirt in his 2nd spell here. He had 3 free-kicks in the first half. The first went narrowly wide, the 2nd hit the post and the 3rd went in. He then rifled in a shot from 22 yards to seal the victory.

We have kept 8 clean sheets in a row now in the league.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
juve.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Rafa, Felix, Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

This is tough to take. We deserved at least a draw and had a golden opportunity to take the lead when we were awarded a penalty in the 2nd half but Joao Felix saw his effort saved and deep into stoppage time we were made to pay when Cristiano Ronaldo scored.

--

moreirense.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Sarr, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Dantas), Rafa, Felix*, Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

A very convincing victory as we hit Moreirense for 5. Joao Felix keeps up his good scoring run although I would have rather he scored his penalty in our last match than this one!

--

rio.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo*, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Rafa, Felix (Ramos), Everton, Carlos Vinicius

Here we are - 2 and a half seasons in - and my first choice striker misses a league match for the first time unbelievably as Dembele fell ill before the match. Carlos Vinicius came in and got a goal while Everton got another goal closer to Dembele.

--

SUMMARY

Another month that was almost perfect. Joao Felix finally began to show why I paid £103m for him although the one downside to the month revolved around him as he missed a penalty in our 1-0 defeat to Juventus in the Champions League. We arent out of the tie but it will be tough.

Domestically we just keep on keeping on. In the league we are 10pts clear, have kept 10 clean sheets in a row and are unbeaten!!! Quite something. However its not unique as amazingly my B team are top of the Liga Pro and are also unbeaten!!!!

We have reached the Taca de Portugal final and will face Sporting Lisbon in the showpiece event.

Youth intake up next!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JOAO FELIX
felix.png

--

LIGA NOS
feb.png

1599979752762.png

Lippo Hertzka
1936-39 & 1947-48
P122 W83 D17 L22 F387 A69 W%68.03

Hungarian Hertzka had 2 spells in charge and won 2 league titles in his first stint at the club. He also managed Real Sociedad, Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao

--

MARCH

sporting.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Everton, Carlos Vinicius (Ramos*)

Goncalo Ramos came off the bench to great effect here as he got 2 goals in as many minutes for his first goals of the season. I had hoped to play him more often tbh.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
0-3.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Sarr, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Rafa, Felix (Almada), Everton, Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

Out of Europe we go and the curse goes on for another year. Like the first leg we didnt deserve to lose and certainly not by 3 goals to 0!!!!!

--

3-1.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro*, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix, Everton, Carlos Vinicius (Ramos)

A decent win although after 11 clean sheets in the league we conceded a goal here. Ramos came off the bench to score again which was nice.

--

braga.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix, Everton*, Carlos Vinicius (Ramos)

We performed well here and Florentino Luis scored a beauty. Joao Felix continued his rich vein of goalscoring form while Everton now has 18 league goals - 1 more than the last 2 seasons combined!!!

This victory also secures Champions League football for us and I have been given a paltry budget of £22m!

--

SUMMARY

Forget about the league results - even though we got comfortable wins over Sporting Lisbon and Braga - this month was all about the Champions League and we let ourselves down massively as we crashed out to Juventus 4-0 on aggregate. I feel as though we have been hugely unfortunate with regards to the draw as we could have got teams like Shakhtar, Young Boys and Lyon but no we got Juventus while last year we got Liverpool.

We have only been given an initial budget of around £20m for next season so I wouldnt think that there will be much transfer business in the summer!!!

The youth intake was pathetic.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JOAO FELIX
JF.png

--

LIGA NOS
MARCH.png

-

1599980400649.png

URUGUAY

Friendly
usa.png

Lineup
- Muslera, M.Suarez, Godin, Gimenez (Coates), Ricca (Vina), Bentancur (Vecino), Valverde, Pellistri (Urretaviscaya), De Arrascaeta, de Pena (Pereiro), Cavani (L.Suarez*)

A boring victory and one in which we probably wouldnt have got if it wasnt for the fact that they had a man sent-off.

--

Friendly
albania.png

Lineup
- Muslera, M.Suarez, Godin, Gimenez (Coates), Ricca (Vina), Bentancur (Vecino), Torreira (Valverde), Pellistri, Pereiro (De Arrascaeta), de Pena, L.Suarez (Gomez)

Albania are managed by none other than Steve McClaren and they embarrassed us here no doubt. There is no way that we should be losing to Albania such is the quality of players that we have got. Embarrassing.

1599995133975.png

Mario Wilson
1975-76 & 1979-80 & 1995-96 & 1997
P126 W84 D22 L20 F297 A104 W%66.66

Wilson had 5 separate spells in charge of the club including 2 as caretaker manager. He won 1 league title and 2 Portuguese Cups while in charge. He managed a host of different clubs in Portugal and also led the national side too

--

APRIL & MAY

farense.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix, Everton, Carlos Vinicius*

A great result and performance. With Dembele out injured Carlos Vinicius stepped up again with a double while Ruben Dias got his first goal of the season and Grimaldo assisted 3 goals.

--

pdf.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix, Everton (Tsygankov), Carlos Vinicius (Ramos)

We were dominant here but wasted so many chances. Carlos Vinicius headed us in front to move into double figures for the season and Ramos sealed things.

--

famalicao.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo*, Dias (Sarr), Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Rafa, Felix, Everton, Carlos Vinicius (Ramos)

CHAMPIONS!!!!

My 3rd title in a row was secured with victory here. Everton netted his 25th goal of the season while Semedo fired a shot in off bost posts. We now need to avoid defeat in our final 3 league games to become the invincibles!!!!

--

tondela.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Sarr, N.Tavares, Luis (Dantas), Camara, Tsygankov (Embalo), Almada (Ramos), Everton*, Dembele

With the league won I have decided to play my backups to try and finish the league campaign undefeated. Well apart from Livakovic, Luis and Everton who have played in every match and Dembele who needs fitness. In the end we won very easily with Everton and Dembele scoring 2 each and Dias also popped up with a goal.

2 games to go....

--

aves.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares (Matos), Dias, Sarr*, N.Tavares, Luis (Dantas), Camara, Tsygankov, Almada (Ramos), Everton, Dembele

The same lineup went out there from the last match and once again they did the job. Always nice to see my favourite young player Ronaldo Camara get a goal while Dembele reaches 30 for the season.

--

santa.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Sarr, N.Tavares, Luis (Dantas), Camara, Tsygankov, Almada, Everton (Embalo), Carlos Vinicius (Ramos)

WE ARE THE INVINCIBLES!!!!!

Obviously this is a pretty disappointing way to end the season but the fact that we have went the whole league season without losing a match is a great achievement.

--

Taca de Portugal Final
final.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Rafa, Felix*, Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Carlos Vinicius)

What a way to win a final!

We thumped Sporting here and were aided when their best player - Vinicius Junior - got sent-off. Felix grabbed a double while Rafa and Camara added the other 2 goals. Our 3rd successive Taca de Portugal victory.

--

SUMMARY

This is a double month post as we only had 2 games scheduled for May. We end the season with the same amount of trophies as the last 2 years but ahead in how we are playing etc. In the league we end the season unbeaten as we won all of our remaining matches apart from a boring 0-0 draw on the final day of the season. I played largely a backup side in our final matches and they did the job.

In the Taca de Portugal we came up against Sporting Lisbon in the final and we swotted them aside 4-0 to complete the league and cup double. **** you the Allianz Cup lol.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RUBEN DIAS
dias.png

1600015791011.png

END OF SEASON POST

I just realised that an update for December in this season wasnt posted. Dont know why and it is a great shame as this was our results...............
dec.png

I remember doing the update but it must have disappeared and maybe in a drunken stupor I forgot to double check. Anywho the season is over so now is the time to review.

In the league we were near perfect as we went the whole campaign unbeaten. 30 wins, 4 draws and only 8 goals conceded is testament to the fact that nobody could live with us. We scored 96 goals so it is a shame that we didnt get to 100 but we won the title by 15pts which is a massive amount and I got to play my backups in our final 3 league games.

We defeated Rio Ave in the Supertaca and we won the Taca de Portugal again by beating Sporting Lisbon 4-0 so that means that in each of the 3 seasons so far we have collected the League, Supertaca and Taca de Portugal.

The Allianz Cup however can do one. We are still to win it and this season our exit was perplexing. We had an identical record with Sporting Lisbon and we drew 1-1 with each other yet there was a rule that put Sporting through instead of us.

In the Champions League we topped our group with a 3-0 victory over Bayern Munich being the highlight as was Dembele scoring hat-tricks in both matches against PSV but the luck of the draw went against us and Juventus put us out 4-0 on aggregate although that was extremely harsh!

So overall domestically we need an Allianz Cup victory and to get into the Champions League quarter-finals. Breaking the curse is still a pipedream at the moment alas.

As for us being the invincibles - so to are my B team as they won Liga Pro for the 3rd successive season and this time they didnt lose a game. Goals were hard to come by but they only conceded 9 goals!!!!

--

LIGA NOS

table.png

--

SQUAD

squad.png
squad 2.png

Goalkeepers - Much like last season Livakovic played every game apart from one but he didnt stand out but then again he largely had nothing to do!!! He alongside my defenders deserve huge credit for only conceding 8 goals in the league though.

Defenders - Nelson Semedo is one of Europe's top right backs and on the other side Grimaldo must be one of Europe's top left backs. Both got 15 assists and scored a few goals while my two Tavares' excelled when called upon as their backups. In the middle Dias and Ferro were great with Sarr doing a job but Morato was largely non existant.

A shout-out goes to Pedro Alvaro who performed so well for my B team in the 2nd division that he earned a call up to the full Portugal side!!!!

Midfielders - Florentino Luis was solid as usual but his partner, Renato Sanches, while performed well he had a stinker in front of goal as he only scored 2 goals compared to 14 from last season - a huge drop off!!!! Camara and Dantas covered for them and did well also. On the left wing Everton was stupendous. Top goalscorer in the league with 22 goals and 27 in total he stepped up several gears to become one of Europe's top left wingers.

On the opposite side Rafa owned the RW but his goals diminished slightly but he performed well which meant that Tsygankov didnt get many starts which was unfortunate. Joao Felix started off slowly but by the end of the season showed that the £103m that I spent on him may be worth it. Sure Pizzi contributed to 47 goals last season while Felix only had a hand in 26 but Joao is still young and can only improve. Thiago Almada was in a similar situation to Tsygankov as he found starts hard to come by.

Forwards - Moussa Dembele was on fire for the first half of the season - especially in the Champions League as he scored 9 goals in the group stage. Alas injuries came along but he still ended the season on 30 goals and I think he can still improve. Carlos Vinicius was largely non-existant in the first half of the season but when Dembele was out he came into his own and ended up with 10 goals while Goncalo Ramos only made sub appearances yet he scored 5 which is decent.

My Player of the Year - Everton
My Young Player of the Year - Ronaldo Camara
Must Improve - Renato Sanches (for goals)
Donkey of the Year - Morato

--

HOPES FOR THE SUMMER

With a settled squad and only £22m to spend their wont be much disruption to the first team squad! I honestly feel that we are better than we have been in the Champions League and with a kind draw and my young players developing surely it is only a matter of time before we progress into the quarter-finals or semis.

I have 2 players arranged to come in in the summer but they are to be loaned out and sold on for a profit but other than that I have no plans. It will even be hard to promote a B team player as my first team squads are pretty much filled up!​

1600194942583.png

PRE-SEASON POST

Lets go again!!! Almost literally as I havent signed a single player for the first team!!!! There are 2 players promoted from the B team and 1 player in the squad who has returned from a loan spell but quite honestly although there were some players out there that would improve us immediately - I have faith in my youngsters coming through and my players continually improving to take us where we want to go. I feel we are much better than just getting out of the group stage and not progressing any further but we need to prove that.

Despite me saying that I havent signed anyone for the first team I was still busy in the transfer market. To raise some funds I signed Andrea Pinamonti, Reiss Nelson, Billy Gilmour, Ebere Eze and Yangel Herrera on free transfers. Nelson was immediately sold for £11m but the rest have been loaned out to gain value and sell for a profit.

As for transfers rejected - where do I start? Chelsea offered me £116m for Florentino Luis. Daliang Pro offered me £30m each for Dantas and Ramos. Barcelona offered me £75m for Dias. Real Madrid offered me £55m for Ferro. Borussia Dortmund offered me £60m for Dembele and £35m for Sanches. There were more but I forget lol. What I am left with however is quite a few unhappy players!

--

PLAYERS OUT

Two players from the first team squad left permanently. Carlos Vinicius is gone and that was premeditated. I got an initial £21m (rising to £26m) for him and after 113 apps and 52 goals he is gone. The reason why he is gone is that I have a couple of young strikers that I want to promote and also I really need to give Goncalo Ramos more opportunities.

As for the number 52 - that was the amount in millions that I raked in for Malang Sarr! Having signed him on a free transfer he is off to China. I didnt want to lose him but having 2 wonderkids in the B team at centre back including a full Dutch international plus another who is in the Portugal squad I thought it was the right time to cash in.

As for other sales I lost a defender to Spurs on a free but have made moves to bring him back on loan. I didnt think he was spectacular by any means but he is now valued at nearly £8m and I am short of central defenders for the B team so it makes sense. The other departures are all loan deals including Paulo Bernardo, Morato, Hugo Lasso and Gonzalo Ramirez amongst others.

--

PLAYERS IN

Just the one to show at the moment although if you remember earlier on in the save I sold a young winger, Gerson Sousa to Chelsea for £10m - I brought him back at 20y/o for £850,000 to help my B team lol.

My only major signing was also for the B team but with an eye on the future as I gave Gil Vicente £10m for their 18y/o goalkeeper. Luis Cerquiera is his name and he looks decent enough and maybe I have overpaid for him but I do like the look of him.
cerqueira.png

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

No changes to the first eleven but into the squad comes Sebahattin Sahinoglu who is a wonderkid and a Dutch international, Pedro Alvaro (who is in the Portugal squad despite playing for my B team) and Matias Arezo who will be my backup striker. I have a host of wonderkids and I cant fit them all into the first team squad hence why Paulo Bernardo has been loaned out but Strijbosch and Nascimento remain in the B team squad.

--

AIMS FOR THE SEASON

Get past the 1st knockout stages of the Champions League!!!!!

Oh and win the Allianz Cup lol.

1600320172856.png

Nene
1968-86
575 apps, 360 gls

The clubs record appearance holder, Nene spent his entire career with Benfica and won 10 league titles, 7 Portuguese Cups and was top scorer in Portugal twice and won the Portuguese footballer of the year award once. He also collected 68 caps and 22 goals for Portugal.

--

AUGUST

Supertaca
supertaca.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matos, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Almada*, Everton (Dembele)

A nice way to open the season!!! We easily beat Sporting despite not having my 2 first team right backs fit match. However we played excellently with Almada scoring twice and it was nice to see Sanches score early doors this season after his paltry total of 2 goals last season.

--

vitoria.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matos, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix*, Everton, Dembele (Ramos)

We win our opening league match but it came at a cost as Rafa got injured and will be out for 3-4 months. I surprisingly dropped Almada after the last match but Joao Felix came back in and scored twice anyway!

--

pacos.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matos, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov*, Felix (Almada), Everton (Embalo), Dembele (Arezo)

Tsygankov has the opportunity for regular starts now and he came in and scored the only goal and got the MOM award but I fell out with him after the match as he didnt like my team talks!!! ***** lol.

--

nacional.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares (N.Tavares), Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov, Felix, Everton* (Embalo), Dembele (Arezo)

A good win but the injuries keep on coming as Everton, Grimaldo and Dembele all picked up knocks! At least I had Tomas and Nuno Tavares back from their spells out.

--

2-0.png

Lineup - Svilar, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro (Sebahattin Sahinoglu), N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches (Dantas), Tsygankov, Felix (Ramos), Everton*, Arezo

As you can see you can add Livakovic to the injury list as Mile Svilar comes in as goalkeeper! He kept a clean sheet however in this match and Arezo struck his first goal for the club which is a boost.

--

PORTO.png

Lineup - Svilar, T.Tavares (Semedo), Dias*, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Tsygankov, Felix, Everton, Arezo (Ramos)

WHAT A WIN!!!!

Going into this match with a squad ravaged by injuries I was fearing the worst but we were excellent and turned up at Porto's own backyard and taught them a lesson. Porto are now managed by Max Allegri so they will be a different beast this season but we put down a marker here.

--

SUMMARY

Despite being riddled with injuries we have had a great start to the season and have won all of our matches including handsome victories over Sporting Lisbon and FC Porto - a perfect start to the season!!! The injuries have meant that I have had to use all of my first team squad which is actually quite a nice thing as I have so many wonderkids and quality backup players that to give them some opportunities that they werent expecting is certainly a bonus. In my B team alone I have 4 wonderkids!!!!

Well make it 5! I brought in a young Serbian striker who I arranged to sign when he was 16 and I was Serbia manager. Zoran Petric comes in for £3.7m and I must admit I am tempted to have him with the first team squad but I will let him find his feet in Portugal with my B team and see how he gets on down there.
PETRIC.png

I also brought in this young Slovakian defender.
SABOL.png

Finally due to Rafa's injury I had a search for a right winger to act as backup while he is out. I went for Gareth Bale on a free but he wanted £300k a week, I did bring back Gouveia back on loan from Spurs after selling him for £10m in the summer and I actually just sold another young Portuguese winger to Man Utd for £9m but in the end I recalled Alan Rodriguez from a loan spell. He was one of the Uruguayans that I brought in in the summer to loan out and sell on but he now has a small chance to feature for the big boys here!
RODRIGUEZ.png

Huge news came on deadline day - Fabio Silva has left FC Porto to join AC Milan!!!!! He left in a £67m deal and he is immediately a transfer target for me in the future. He had a nasty habit of scoring against me last season so Porto are now considerably weaker.

In the Champions League we have been given a very kind draw - Lyon, Fenerbahce and LASK!!!!
1600322737429.png
1600322789194.png
1600322809557.png
1600322837420.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
EVERTON
LW.png

--

LIGA NOS
AUG.png

View attachment 515895
Nene
1968-86
575 apps, 360 gls

The clubs record appearance holder, Nene spent his entire career with Benfica and won 10 league titles, 7 Portuguese Cups and was top scorer in Portugal twice and won the Portuguese footballer of the year award once. He also collected 68 caps and 22 goals for Portugal.

--

AUGUST

Supertaca
View attachment 515896

Lineup - Livakovic, Matos, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Almada*, Everton (Dembele)

A nice way to open the season!!! We easily beat Sporting despite not having my 2 first team right backs fit match. However we played excellently with Almada scoring twice and it was nice to see Sanches score early doors this season after his paltry total of 2 goals last season.

--

View attachment 515898

Lineup - Livakovic, Matos, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix*, Everton, Dembele (Ramos)

We win our opening league match but it came at a cost as Rafa got injured and will be out for 3-4 months. I surprisingly dropped Almada after the last match but Joao Felix came back in and scored twice anyway!

--

View attachment 515899

Lineup - Livakovic, Matos, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov*, Felix (Almada), Everton (Embalo), Dembele (Arezo)

Tsygankov has the opportunity for regular starts now and he came in and scored the only goal and got the MOM award but I fell out with him after the match as he didnt like my team talks!!! ***** lol.

--

View attachment 515900

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares (N.Tavares), Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov, Felix, Everton* (Embalo), Dembele (Arezo)

A good win but the injuries keep on coming as Everton, Grimaldo and Dembele all picked up knocks! At least I had Tomas and Nuno Tavares back from their spells out.

--

View attachment 515897

Lineup - Svilar, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro (Sebahattin Sahinoglu), N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches (Dantas), Tsygankov, Felix (Ramos), Everton*, Arezo

As you can see you can add Livakovic to the injury list as Mile Svilar comes in as goalkeeper! He kept a clean sheet however in this match and Arezo struck his first goal for the club which is a boost.

--

View attachment 515901

Lineup - Svilar, T.Tavares (Semedo), Dias*, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Tsygankov, Felix, Everton, Arezo (Ramos)

WHAT A WIN!!!!

Going into this match with a squad ravaged by injuries I was fearing the worst but we were excellent and turned up at Porto's own backyard and taught them a lesson. Porto are now managed by Max Allegri so they will be a different beast this season but we put down a marker here

--

SUMMARY

Despite being riddled with injuries we have had a great start to the season and have won all of our matches including handsome victories over Sporting Lisbon and FC Porto - a perfect start to the season!!! The injuries have meant that I have had to use all of my first team squad which is actually quite a nice thing as I have so many wonderkids and quality backup players that to give them some opportunities that they werent expecting is certainly a bonus. In my B team alone I have 4 wonderkids!!!!

Well make it 5! I brought in a young Serbian striker who I arranged to sign when he was 16 and I was Serbia manager. Zoran Petric comes in for £3.7m and I must admit I am tempted to have him with the first team squad but I will let him find his feet in Portugal with my B team and see how he gets on down there.
View attachment 515902

I also brought in this young Slovakian defender.
View attachment 515903

Finally due to Rafa's injury I had a search for a right winger to act as backup while he is out. I went for Gareth Bale on a free but he wanted £300k a week, I did bring back Gouveia back on loan from Spurs after selling him for £10m in the summer and I actually just sold another young Portuguese winger to Man Utd for £9m but in the end I recalled Alan Rodriguez from a loan spell. He was one of the Uruguayans that I brought in in the summer to loan out and sell on but he now has a small chance to feature for the big boys here!
View attachment 515904

Huge news came on deadline day - Fabio Silva has left FC Porto to join AC Milan!!!!! He left in a £67m deal and he is immediately a transfer target for me in the future. He had a nasty habit of scoring against me last season so Porto are now considerably weaker.

In the Champions League we have been given a very kind draw - Lyon, Fenerbahce and LASK!!!!
View attachment 515905View attachment 515906View attachment 515907View attachment 515908

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
EVERTON
View attachment 515909

--

LIGA NOS
View attachment 515910
So is joao felix back at benfica how

1600462664088.png

Antonio Veloso
1980-95
538 apps, 9 gls

Signed from Beira-Mar Veloso won 7 league titles and 5 cups while at Benfica. The full-back missed the 1990 European Cup final due to injury and he went on to become a coach with the club. Father of Miguel Veloso who is a former FM wonderkid he won 40 caps for Portugal.

--

SEPTEMBER

aves.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Tsygankov (Embalo), Felix*, Everton, Dembele (Arezo)

Look at this - a near full strength team - although Grimaldo, Dembele and Livakovic weren't fully fit tbh. We took a while to get going but in the end we won at a canter. Grimaldo and Felix both scored with tremendous long range efforts.

--

UEFA Champions League Group H
lyon.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov (Embalo), Felix (Almada), Everton, Dembele (Arezo)

We rescued a point here thanks to 2 late goals. It was one of those games that despite having the better statistics it felt as though that we were terrible yet we managed to salvage a draw thanks to Everton and Grimaldo. Grimaldo was ****** at the end of the match but he collected a long punt up the park and finished from a tight angle.

--

setubal.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov, Felix*, Everton (Embalo), Dembele (Almada)

We got off to a perfect start here with a goal in the opening minute and a 2nd a few minutes later and that set us up for a good result. Tsygankov had a goal disallowed also which denied him his hat-trick.

--

lask.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Alvaro), Ferro, Grimaldo, Camara*, Dantas, Tsygankov, Almada (Ramos), Embalo, Arezo (Petric)

WOW!!!

An astounding first half performance was followed by a disappointing 2nd half performance. In the first half we scored all of our 7 goals with Camara grabbing a hat-trick and Grimaldo getting 4 assists but to not add to the scoreline in the 2nd half is unforgivable tbh.

--

Taca de Portugal 3rd Round
feirense.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares (Matos), Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ferro, N.Tavares, Camara, Dantas, Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Almada (Ramos), Embalo, Arezo*

Having seen a largely backup side destroy LASK in our last match I stuck with them here and they got the job done. Matias Arezo got a hat-trick which impressed me and therefor his international manager lol. Regarding him with Uruguay - he is the future alongside Maxi Gomez and Darwin Nunez but Cavani and Suarez are still looking strong for the World Cup.

--

FENER.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov, Felix (Almada), Everton (Rodriguez), Dembele*

I was put into a weird situation here. I was going to play my backups but with all the cup fixtures coming one after another and with this being one of the harder ones I played my first teamers to top up their fitness and sharpness.

--

SUMMARY

With the World Cup happening this winter there was a load of cup games crammed into this month and we havent even started the Allianz Cup yet! This World Cup malarkey is playing havoc with the domestic schedule and amazingly when January comes around we will only have played 9 of our 34 league matches!!!! Having 1 league game out of 10 is certainly weird.

I have been forewarned that with international duty coming we have some domestic cup games and I could have cancelled some games but I have faith in my backups and refused the cancellations!!!!!

This month however was near perfect. Apart from our draw against Lyon we won every match and our standout performance was our 7-0 win over LASK when my backups scored 7 goals in the first half. In the league we have a 100% record and with FC Porto struggling we have a 7pt lead at the top.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALEX GRIMALDO

GRIMALDO.png

--

LIGA NOS
sep.png

Last edited:
1600497071783.png

Luisao
2003-18
Defender
538 apps, 47 gls

The giant Brazilian was a rock at the centre of defence for 15 years at Benfica. He was signed for just £890,000 and in his spell he won 6 league titles, 3 Portuguese Cups and 7 Portuguese League Cups. He also earned 44 caps for Brazil - scoring 3 goals.

--

OCTOBER

Allianz Cup 3rd Phase Group B
maritimo.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Camara*, Sanches (Dantas), Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Felix, Everton, Arezo

The one player that I didnt want to get injured did so here - Victor Tsygankov. He is out for 5-6 weeks so it will be Embalo or Rodriguez now how will get his chance.

--

estoril.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares*, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Brito, Grimaldo, Camara, Dantas (Jocu), Rodriguez, Almada (Nascimento), Embalo, Arezo (Ramos)

Rafael Brito came in for his debut here - albeit out of position. Tomas Tavares was the star of the show here as he assisted 3 of our goals.

--

Taca de Portugal 4th Round
leixoes.png

Lineup
- Svilar, T.Tavares, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Brito, Rodrigues, Camara*, Dantas, Embalo (Matos), Almada (Nascimento), Everton (Jocu), Ramos

This was the 2nd match where my players were away on international duty as you can see by my lineup! Frustratingly Everton got injured and will be out for a few weeks - my wingers just keep getting injured!

--

rio ave.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Dantas), Sanches, Resende, Felix*, Embalo, Dembele (Arezo)

We werent at our best here but we got the win. Joao Felix scored a stunning goal and now has 9 league goals this season - we have only played 8 games!

--

fenerbahce.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias (Sebahattin Sahinoglu), Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Dantas), Rodriguez (Almada), Felix, Embalo, Dembele*

This win secures our qualification for the next round. Dembele struck twice which is nice as he hasnt been in top form this season so far although injuries have hampered that. Joao Felix missed a late penalty.

--

lyonnais.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Dantas), Sanches, Rodriguez, Felix (Almada), Embalo*, Dembele (Arezo)

Alan Rodriguez nets his first goal for the club here. Whether or not he will be involved in the 2nd half of the season is up for debate.

--

sporting.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Dantas), Sanches, Rodriguez, Felix (Almada), Embalo, Dembele (Arezo)

Joao Felix scored the winner from the spot here despite playing poorly. I subbed him and we immediately got another penalty which Almada promptly missed!

--

2-0.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Alvaro, N.Tavares (Domingues), Camara (Neto), Dantas, Rodriguez, Almada*, Embalo, Arezo (Ramos)

This rounds off the group stage quite nicely. Martin Neto came off the bench to make his debut. This match was actually played at the start of November but with it being my only Benfica fixture of the month I have put it in here.

--

SUMMARY

Once again our month was packed full of cup fixtures and with that there was a fair bit of rotation but we won every match so I cant complain. We did have a couple of league matches which we naturally won and our long unbeaten run in the league is now up to 48 matches.

We have had no draws for the future cup matches as yet and with us being in early November and our next fixture not coming up until January there wont be much going on at club level.

However - I am Uruguay manager remember and I have a World Cup to manage in!!!! I am not really enjoying being Uruguay manager tbh and will leave after the tournament and hopefully pick up another international job.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RONALDO CAMARA
camara.png

--

LIGA NOS
nov.png

1600510189783.png

URUGUAY

Friendly
serbia.png

Lineup
- Campana, Nandez (M.Suarez), Coates (Cabaco), Gimenez (Godin), Vina*, Bentancur (Valverde), Torreira, Pellistri (Martinez), Pereiro, Rodriguez (Arezo), L.Suarez

So this is a friendly against my old nation and my replacement is none other than David Moyes! I was actually surprised that we won so easily and I gave Arezo and Martinez their international debuts.

--

1600510346591.png

URUGUAY 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP SQUAD

Goalkeepers
NAMEAGEPOSCLUBVALUECAPSGOALS
Martin Campana33GKAl-Sadd£4.3m120
Kevin Dawson30GKCadiz£1.4m00
Fernando Muslera36GKGalatasaray£575,0001360

Defenders
Erick Cabaco27DCGetafe£7.5m40
Sebastian Coates32DCWatford£12.25m521
Jose Gimenez27DCAtletico Madrid£56m829
Diego Godin36DC--1548
Nahitan Nandez26DR/MCAtletico Madrid£17m310
Federico Ricca27DLClub Brugge£5.5m60
Mathias Suarez26DRMontpellier£1.6m130
Matias Vina25DLPalmeiras£11.5m231

Midfielders
Rodrigo Bentancur25MCManchester United£69m460
Federico Martinez26AMRSC Braga£12.25m10
Facundo Pellistri20AMRTottenham Hotspur£44m123
Gaston Pereiro27AMCCagliari£9m184
Brian Rodriguez22AMRLLAFC£4.8m41
Lucas Torreira26MCArsenal£58m431
Federico Valverde24MCReal Madrid£54m373
Matias Vecino31MCBayer Leverkusen£11.25m473

Forwards
MATIAS AREZO19STSL BENFICA£11.75m10
Edinson Cavani35STArsenal£2m13763
Maxi Gomez26STValencia£55m276
Luis Suarez35STAtletico Madrid£4.4m13971

I managed to shoehorn Matias Arezo into the squad lol. Tbh the left wing spot is a bit of a weakness for us and I am thinking of playing Maxi Gomez there so Arezo is really in as my 3rd choice striker. Normally I wouldnt pick Diego Godin but I am not here for the long haul and neither is he as he is soon to retire!

--

1600514648226.png

FIFA World Cup Group H
iran.png

Lineup
- Muslera, Nandez*, Coates, Gimenez, Vina, Bentancur, Torreira, Pellistri (Martinez), Pereiro, Rodriguez (Arezo), L.Suarez (Gomez)

We were rocked the day before the game when my first choice keeper, Martin Campana, fractrured his ribs and will be out for the duration of the tournament so the veteran Fernando Muslera steps in. In the end we won but the performance wasnt great and we got another injury during the match when Brian Rodriguez went off in the first half and his tournament is over now too.

--

FIFA World Cup Group H
croatia.png

Lineup
- Muslera, Nandez (M.Suarez), Coates, Gimenez, Vina, Bentancur, Torreira, Pellistri (Martinez), Pereiro, Gomez (Cavani), L.Suarez*

A fantastic result. Croatia lost to Turkey in their opening match so this all but secures our progress into the knockout stages although Iran somehow thumped Turkey 3-0 in the other match. Luis Suarez scored direct from a free-kick and Gimenez scrambled in the 2nd. All we need is to avoid defeat against Turkey to progress.

--

FIFA World Cup Group H
turkey.png

Lineup
- Muslera, Nandez, Coates, Gimenez, Ricca, Bentancur (Vecino), Valverde, Pellistri (Martinez), Pereiro (Cavani), Gomez, Arezo

I had to rest a couple of players for this match and could have rested more in truth but I didnt want to significantly weaken my side. We only needed a point to seal the group win so I am happy that we did that. We top the group without conceding a goal.

group h.png

--

FIFA World Cup 2nd Round
brazil.png

Lineup - Muslera, Nandez, Coates, Gimenez, Vina, Bentancur (Vecino), Torreira (Valverde), Pellistri (Martinez), Pereiro, L.Suarez, Arezo

Gutted. We matched Brazil here and there wasnt much to separate the sides but they got a late goal and progress. I am ****** off however that Turkey got a far easier tie against Ukraine (although they are European Champions) and we win the group and get a much harder tie. Turkey lost anyway lol.

--

2022 FIFA WORLD CUP FINAL
FINAL.png

Remarkably both managers left their jobs after the final. Portugal finished 4th and their manager left too! Thiago Almada won the award as the best young player of the tournament while Ruben Dias was selected in the best team of the tournament.

--

1600524682646.png

KRIS STUART IS APPOINTED PORTUGAL MANAGER

I had several offers after the World Cup after I resigned from the Uruguay job like I said I would do. Belgium, Spain, France, Croatia and Ukraine all wanted me but in reality it came between 2 nations - Portugal and my native Scotland.

Obviously being Scotland manager appealed and would be a huge challenge to progress them in the international stage but I decided to pick Portugal as it means I have greater control of my players on international duty and of course I will see every player when the youth intake comes in so hopefully it will make Benfica stronger.

Scotland remains an aim but they can bide their time. No new language to learn though lol - maybe I should have taken over the European Champions, Ukraine, lol.

1600538894863.png

Mario Coluna
1954-70
Midfielder
525 apps, 127 goals

Coluna was a superstar in his day. 10 league titles, 6 Portuguese Cups, 2 European Cups in which he scored in both finals plus he was named in a World Cup team of the year and also a world team of the year no less than 5 times!!!! He captained the club for 7 seasons and won 57 caps for Portugal, scoring 8 goals.

--

JANUARY

portimonense.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares (Matos), Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Alvaro, N.Tavares, Camara*, Dantas, Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Almada, Embalo, Arezo (Petric)

WHAT A PERFORMANCE FROM RONALDO CAMARA!!!!

My young midfielder scored a hat-trick with all 3 goals coming from outside the area. He was truly inspirational and even though we won 4-0 it could have been more as Dantas and Embalo had goals disallowed even before we got off the mark in this game.

--

Taca de Portugal 5th Round

CSM.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches, Rafa*, Felix (Almada), Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Arezo)

Rafa returned to the side after his long term injury with a goal and a MOM performance. Joao Felix missed an early penalty here. Maritimo are managed by ex Newcastle player Jon Dahl Tomasson.

--

belenenses.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches, Rafa*, Felix (Almada), Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Arezo)

Rafa is at it again. We struggled here in truth until they went down to 10 men and I made my 3 subs but after that we dominated. Rafa struck twice and Tsygankov came off the bench to net a goal also.

--

Taca de Portugal Quarter-Final
0-1.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix (Almada), Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Arezo)

**** RIGHT OFF!!!!!!

This is truly a disgrace. At the end of 90min we had 18 shots to their 2 yet the score was 0-0. Not for the first time this season Dembele and Everton were poor. I made my 3 subs and then in extra-time Luis went off injured and with us down to 10 men Porto duly scored. We missed a great chance towards the end to level things but it was not to be.

Having won the Taca de Portugal all 3 times since I have came here I am incensed that we were (a) knocked out by Porto, (b) knocked out like that and (c) FM can do one!!!!!!

(I aint happy)

--

vilafranquense.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares*, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Camara, Dantas, Tsygankov (Matos), Felix (Nascimento), Everton (Embalo), Dembele

We bounce back with a win and the fact that my main 3 attacking threats - Felix, Everton and Dembele - all got amongst the goals after recent poor performances is encouraging.

--

Allianz Cup Semi-Final
vg.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis (Dantas), Camara, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton*, Dembele

We march into the final. Winning the Allianz Cup for the first time would slightly heal the wounds of our Taca de Portugal exit but we have been cursed in this competition for the last 3 years lol.

--

Allianz Cup Final
4-0.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo*, Dias (Sebahattin Sahinoglu), Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis, Camara, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton, Arezo (Ramos)

WE FINALLY WIN THE ALLIANZ CUP!!!!

This is how to win a final although we were helped by the fact that they had a man sent-off in the first half. Semedo amazingly struck twice, Ferro headed in one and Camara rounded things off. To beat Sporting Lisbon 4-0 on any occasion is great but to do it in a cup final is extra special.

--

SUMMARY

After nearly a 2 month absence we got back to club football business this month. We only had 2 league games this month and we won both matches but yet again we played far more cup matches than league games and so far we have played 11 league games and 16 cup games!!!! We are a point clear at the top with 3 games in hand but we have 6 games in hand over Famalicao!!!!!

In the cups we finally won the Allianz Cup by beating Portimonense, Vitoria Guimaraes and Sporting Lisbon 4-0 each. To finally win this trophy is very pleasing. However our hold on the Taca de Portugal is over after everything went wrong against Porto as we lost 1-0. We battered them but couldnt score and we went down to 10 men when Luis went injured and they took advantage of that.

Anywho in the Champions League we will play Spurs which is a decent draw but a bit awkward but having been drawn against Juventus and Bayern Munich in previous years I will quite happily take it.

Regarding the transfer window I have pre-arranged to sign Lewis Cook and Adrian Rabiot to sell on for huge profits and I also signed a regen.

Outgoing was a defensive midfielder who couldnt get a game for my B team to Man Utd for £10.25m and his value is now £18m but like many other youngsters I have sold on I dont think I will regret it.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RAFA
RAFA.png

--

LIGA NOS

jan.png

1600553443061.png

Humberto Coelho
1968-75 & 1977-84
Defender
498 apps, 81 goals

8 league titles and 6 Portuguese cups were won by Coelho who had 2 spells at Benfica. In between he played for Paris Saint-Germain and had a short spell in the USA. He appeared for Portugal 64 times and scored 6 goals and also managed the side for 3 years.

--

FEBRUARY

nacional.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Luis, Sanches, Rafa*, Felix, Everton, Arezo (Ramos)

A tremendous performance as we smashed 6 past Nacional. I dont want to jinx things but we have won all 12 league matches this season and have kept 9 clean sheets in a row.

--

famalicao.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares*, Luis, Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Everton, Dembele (Arezo)

This is our first dropped points of the season but I suppose it was bound to happen at some time. Disappointing.

--

timo.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix, Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele*

After the disappointing result last time out it was important to win here and win we did and quite comfortably too.

--

porto.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo*, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix (Almada), Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Arezo)

GET IN!!!!

We get revenge for our cup exit here as Arezo's last minute goal won it for us. Before that Porto looked like they were going to again steal a result as we had 26 shots to their 2 but Arezo bundled the ball home to give us all 3pts.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
spurs.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro (Sebahattin Sahinoglu), Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov (Rodriguez*), Felix, Everton (Almada), Dembele

Alan Rodriguez may be a bit part player but he came off the bench here to great effect as he scored a last minute winner to give us a first leg advantage and a 2nd away goal. We now just have to do the job at home in the 2nd leg.

--

despa.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Camara, Sanches (Dantas), Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Almada*, Rafa, Dembele (Arezo)

Despite being without several players we still managed to pick up a win and in doing so another clean sheet - 13 in a row now in the league! Oh and 55 unbeaten in the league lol.

--

braga.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Felix, Rafa (Almada), Dembele*

The clean sheet record ends here but I am happy that we scored 5 past 2nd placed Braga. Dembele also had a goal disallowed so he was denied a hat-trick. Amazingly this was our 17th game of the league campaign - exactly halfway through the campaign and we are just a few days away from March!!!!!

--

6-0.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro*, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Almada, Felix, Dembele (Ramos)

A stunning performance. Every single player who started had a rating of 8.00 or above. All of my defenders got an assist and we had 6 different goalscorers.

--

SUMMARY

Goals were flowing this month! We put 6 past Nacional and Vitoria Setubal, 5 past Braga and 4 past Maritimo however we did fail to score against Famalicao as we dropped our first points of the season. Nelson Semedo was in inspired form and scored 3, Dembele banged in a few while Joao Felix played on the LW a bit and excelled. Then you throw in Ronaldo Camara, Thiago Almada and even Alan Rodriguez made important contributions.

The big result of the month however was not the 5-2 win over Braga or the 1-0 win over FC Porto but it was our 2-1 away victory over Spurs in the Champions League. We were excellent in this match and have 2 away goals and a 1 goal lead heading into the 2nd leg.

Next month is the youth intake - they have been awful so far so I expect some improvements!!!!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
NELSON SEMEDO
SEMEDO.png

--

LIGA NOS
feb.png

1600595616008.png

Sheu
1972-89
Midfielder
487 apps, 45 goals

Sheu spent his entire career with Benfica and after his playing days ended remains at the club as he has had several different jobs from caretaker manager to technical secretary. As a player he won 9 league titles and 6 Portuguese cups. For Portugal he only won 24 caps, scoring once.

--

MARCH

santa.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton (Almada), Dembele

The embarrassment of dropping 2pts to Santa Clara is overtaken by the joy when Joao Felix scored an injury time equaliser to extend our unbeaten run.

--

clara.png

Lineup - Svilar, T.Tavares, Dias (Alvaro), Sebahattin Sahinoglu, N.Tavares, Camara, Sanches*, Rafa, Almada (Ramos), Everton, Dembele (Arezo)

So my full strength team cant beat Santa Clara at home but my weakened side can easily beat them away from home lol.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
spurs.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo*, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Everton, Dembele

We finally make it into the quarter-finals of the Champions League with this result. Dembele had a goal disallowed before he put us in front and Everton headed home a 2nd to seal things.

--

rio ave.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Camara), Sanches, Rafa (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton, Dembele*

Another handsome victory. Dembele actually thought he had his hat-trick earlier as he scrambled the ball in but the referee gave a penalty instead and he duly missed it! Thankfully he got his 3rd goal a few minutes later anyway. We had 53 attempts on goal in this match and we are now 60 league games unbeaten.

--

tondela.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Rafa, Felix (Almada), Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele*

Back to back hat-tricks for Moussa Dembele! Everton went off injured in the 3rd minute and will be out for a few weeks but Victor Tsygankov came on and scored the opener.

--

braga.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches (Camara), Tsygankov (Embalo), Almada (Ramos), Felix, Dembele

No hat-trick of hat-tricks for Dembele as we drop 2pts. We have conceded 7 goals in the league so far this season and Braga have scored 4 of them!

--

sporting.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis (Dantas), Camara, Rafa (Embalo), Almada (Ramos), Felix*, Dembele

As ever any victory over Sporting is pleasing but the fact that we have now played FC Porto, Sporting and Braga twice means that we have played our toughest opponents in the league already and with 10 games to go we have a great chance to be unbeaten for the 2nd season running.

--

SUMMARY

In recent seasons we would be going into April out of Europe, with just half a dozen games to play but this season we are going into the month with 10 league games to play and a 2 legged Champions league quarter-final to try and navigate.

That quarter-final is against Manchester City so that will really be a tough tie to win and we go into it as underdogs. They have signed Camavinga, Haaland, Havertz, Vignato, Belotti and er Greg Taylor!

In the league we have an 18pt lead with a game in hand over Braga but in reality it is Sporting who are closest to us as they have 3 games in hand and are 19pts behind us. We defeated Sporting 2-0 in our final match of the month which all but sealed the title but it was really won a long, long, long time ago.

The youth intake was yet again miserable. For apparently having the best youth academy in the world the quality of players coming through has been diabolical. I am living in hope that one season there will be a standout regen to make up for the last couple of years.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MOUSSA DEMBELE
DEMBELE.png

--

LIGA NOS
MARCH.png

--

1600605822562.png

PORTUGAL

UEFA European Championship Qualifiers Group 5
wales.png

Lineup
- Lopes, Semedo, Dias (Leite), Ferro, Guerreiro, Luis (Sanches), Neves, Rafa, B.Silva, Guedes*, F.Silva (Leao)

What a start!!!

My first Portugal team had 5 Benfica players starting in it as we managed to beat Wales. Going into the match if everyone was fit (Joao Felix wasnt) my main decision was who to choose at RB - Semedo or Cancelo - I think I picked the right one albeit if I was a bit biased lol. FC Porto CB Diogo Liete made his international debut here while Rafa picked up his 50th cap.

--

UEFA European Championship Qualifiers Group 5
bosnia.png

Lineup
- Lopes, Cancelo, Dias (Leite), Vezo, Vinagre, Luis, Sanches, Rafa (Diogo Jota), Fernandes, Felix*, F.Silva (Leao)

Another very good victory as we put 4 past Bosnia. We took the lead through Renato Sanches but despite dominating they managed to salvage an equaliser however Felix grabbed a brace and Diogo Jota wrapped things up. Ruben Vinagre won his first cap here.

This Portuguese side has really took to my style of play as we had 35 shots on goal here and 19 on target. Sure I have a few Benfica players in the side who are used to the system but we certainly have hit the ground running!

1600625646303.png

Manuel Bento
1972-92
Goalkeeper
465 apps, 0 goals

Signed from Barreirense Bento started off his career with Benfica as backup before becoming first choice in 1976 where he was first pick in goal for a decade. He won 8 league titles and 5 Portuguese cups while at Benfica and for Portugal he featured 63 times.

--

APRIL

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg
city.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro (Sebahattin Sahinoglu), Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov, Almada, Rafa (Embalo), Dembele (Arezo)

Meh. We actually matched Man City throughout here and arguably deserved a draw but with them being full of world class players (and Greg Taylor lol) their superior individual quality won the game for them. We arent out of it but might as well be. This is the first time we have lost in 90min this season.

--

maritimo.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Camara, Sanches*, Rafa, Felix, Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele

A comfortable victory. Dembele scored in the 5th league game running and Felix for the 3rd while Renato Sanches scored a screamer from 25 yards.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
1-1.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Camara*, Sanches (Dantas), Rafa, Felix, Everton (Tsygankov), Dembele (Arezo)

Once again we matched Man City here and at least this time we didnt get beat. Another year that the curse wins out.

--

leixoes.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo*, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ferro, N.Tavares, Dantas, Budinauckas (Brito), Rafa (Tsygankov), Almada, Everton, Dembele (Ramos)

I was short of CMs for this match so young Jonny Budinauckas (a Scottish wonderkid regen who came in my first youth intake) came in for his debut. We were excellent and could have scored way more than the 5 goals that we ended up with as we had 42 efforts on goal.

This win secures Champions League qualification for next season and as a result I have been notified of my initial transfer budget - £36m.

--

vitoria.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo (N.Tavares), Camara, Sanches (Dantas), Tsygankov, Felix (Almada), Everton, Dembele*

Moussa Dembele scored in his 7th league game running and in that spell he now has grabbed 3 hat-tricks!!!

--

belenenses.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo*, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Camara, Sanches, Tsygankov, Felix (Almada), Everton (Embalo), Dembele (Arezo)

Dembele's goalscoring run is over as he was very poor here but then again my whole side was disappointing. We got the win thanks to a stunning finish from Nelson Semedo who from RB now has 7 goals for the season. Dias headed in a rare goal for his 2nd.

--

pdf.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias, Ferro, N.Tavares, Camara, Sanches, Tsygankov*, Felix (Almada), Everton (Embalo), Dembele

Despite having over 40 shots on goal we only managed to find the net once here. Dembele got back on the scoresheet to take him up to 30 goals for the season although he did miss a last minute penalty.

--

3-1.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Dias, Ferro, Grimaldo, Luis, Sanches, Tsygankov, Felix (Almada), Everton (Embalo), Dembele

A good win but I am ****** off that we conceded a goal. That means we have conceded 9 league goals this season which is one more than last season.

--

SUMMARY

With our Champions League elimination we are just playing out the remainder of the season and just trying to be invincible for the 2nd campaign in a row and to be fair my players are doing just that. We have 4 games to play and just need 1pt to seal the title.

Our Champions League campaign is yet again over as despite matching Man City on the field over both matches their individual quality proved to be too much for us and we have to wait another year to break that damned curse. I am kinda at a crossroads. We are far, far, far too good for the Portuguese league and are just a bit short of the required level in Europe. Either we need a season where the draws are kind and we sneak a result or I have to think about changing my squad maybe.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
NELSON SEMEDO
SEMEDO.png

--

LIGA NOS
APRIL.png

1600709114432.png

Antonio Simoes
1961-75
Forward
447 apps, 72 goals

Simoes was a left winger and in 162 when he was part of the European Cup winning side he became the youngest player to ever win it at 18 years and 14 months. As well as the European Cup he won 10 league titles and 5 Portuguese cups and after leaving Benfica he played for several sides in the USA. He won 46 caps for Portugal, scoring 3 goals.

--

MAY

l3-0.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Semedo (T.Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, N.Tavares*, Luis, Camara (Dantas), Tsygankov, (Embalo) Felix, Everton, Dembele

CHAMPIONS!!!!!

We needed a point for the title but we always fancy ourselves to win whatever domestic fixture it is. Nuno Tavares opened the scoring, Everton grabbed the 2nd and Dembele got his customary goal. With 3 games left to play I will play my backups and hope we remain unbeaten.

--

porti.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Alvaro (Strijbosch), Sebahattin Sahinoglu, N.Tavares, Dantas*, Camara, Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Almada (Ramos), Embalo, Arezo

Easy enough. Despite this being my backup side (GK excluded) it featured 7 full internationals and considering they are deemed to be above my B team (Strijbosch apart) and they stroll the Liga Pro every year I shouldnt be surprised that we won easily albeit we needed 2 late goals to make things comfortable.

As for the debutant Strijbosch - despite being in my B team he has been capped by Holland and is a giant at 6ft 6!!!!

--

monense.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares (Matos), Alvaro, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, N.Tavares, Dantas, Camara*, Tsygankov, Almada, Embalo (Ramos), Arezo (Petric)

I think Diego Queiros is after a move to us as he scores an own goal in 2 games in succession against us which is just crazy when you consider we were playing back to back league games against each other!

--

vf.png

Lineup - Livakovic, T.Tavares, Alvaro, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, N.Tavares, Dantas*, Camara, Tsygankov (Rodriguez), Almada (Ramos), Everton, Arezo

A nice way to end the season and to complete another league campaign undefeated although having been 4-0 up at half-time I am slightly disappointed that we didnt score any more in the 2nd half.

--

SUMMARY

We see out another season and another one undefeated. We won the title in our first match of the month which meant I played my backups in the next 3 games and not only did they win every match but they scored enough goals to make us break the 100 goal mark for the first time. We also kept 4 clean sheets so the goals conceded column remained in double figures.

Not much else to say really apart from that the customary end of season post is to follow!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
TIAGO DANTAS
DANTAS.png

1600792412429.png

SEASON REVIEW

Season number 4 is done and we are largely still in the same position as before. We got 2 more points in the league for a total of 96 and won the title by 12pts scoring over 100 goals as we went undefeated once more. Sporting Lisbon finished 2nd and lost 2 games - both to us!!!! We lost our hold of the Taca de Portugal but did manage to win the less important Allianz Cup for the first time and the Supertaca was also collected.

So domestically we won a lesser cup but did improve in the league all told. Winning all 34 games in a season is definitely a goal and considering we only drew 3 games this season we may not have to wait much longer to do that. At the moment we are on a 73 league game unbeaten run.

In the Champions League we finally reached the quarter-finals having topped our group and going on to beat Tottenham Hotspur thus gaining revenge for our Europa League final defeat at the end of my first season but we then came up against Man City (the eventual winners) and despite doing well we were beaten 3-1 on aggregate.

As I said in my last post I am now stuck at a crossroads. I know we are a bit short of being European Champions but with only £35m to spend it is hard to improve my first XI so I may just hope that my young side continues to develop. I have a host of wonderkids..........

Matias Arezo
Ronaldo Camara
Sebahattin Sahinoglu
Hugo Lasso
Diogo Nascimento
Zoran Petric
Hugo Silva
Jonny Budinauckas
Nick Strijbosch
Luis Cerqueira

When you also take into account that the likes of Tomas Tavares, Paulo Bernardo, Umaro Embalo etc used to be wonderkids I have so many top quality youngsters and I have sold over £100m worth of talent over the years from my B team.

Speaking of my B team they won the 2nd division yet again but did lose a few games this season. Having said that they rattled in the goals with Joao Resende getting 23 and Zoran Petric grabbing 18. They scored 9 in one match and 5 goals 5 times!!!! I may shuffle things a bit and as ever I will promote one or two.

--

LIGA NOS

TABLE.png

2 things to mention. Sporting Lisbon lost 5 domestic games - to us twice in the league and in the Supertaca and Allianz Cup finals plus to FC Porto in the Taca de Portugal final. Meanwhile Maritimo only scored 28 yet amazingly only conceded 27 yet we beat them 4-0 both times in the league!!!!!

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

squad.png
squad2.png

Goalkeepers - As ever Dominik Livakovic was my main man and featured 50 times. He picked up a few niggling injuries throughout the season though and usually managed to be fit for our next match. Mile Svilar came in to the side 4 times.

Defenders - My 2 right backs were stupendous. Nelson Semedo scored 7 goals but got 19 assists which considering he created 20 chances is incredible while his backup, Tomas Tavares got 10 assists. On the left Grimaldo was as good as ever while in the middle Ferro and Dias were solid and Sebahattin Sahinoglu impressed when he got given a chance.

Midfielders - Florentino Luis performed well but didnt score a goal which is just not acceptable but his regular partner, Renato Sanches did a bit better with 6 goals but that is still well short of the 14 that he got in his first season with us. My favourite, Ronaldo Camara, however really kicked on this season and scored 10 goals while performing brilliantly. Sure he played against some of the weaker sides but he did feature in big games also.

On the LW Everton had a very quiet season compared to last term when he nearly got 30 goals. He did have injuries but while he wasnt atrocious he did take a step back. Over on the other side Rafa got a long term injury at the start of the season which gave Tsygankov a chance for regular football and he did well, scoring 10 goals but he also got injured and Alan Rodriguez came from nowhere to feature sometimes and he got the vital winner against Spurs in the Champions League.

At AMC Joao Felix was very impressive and got 21 goals. I would like him to get far more assists but he did do well and he also played on the LW and scored a few times from there so he really did well. Thiago Almada was decent as his replacement.

Forwards - Up until January Moussa Dembele had about 4 goals as he was injured and with all the cup games Matias Arezo came in but after Christmas Dembele was on fire and he ended up with 32 goals. Arezo got into double figures also and his highlight was a last minute winner against FC Porto.

My Player of the Season
- Nelson Semedo
My Young Player of the Season - Ronaldo Camara
Must Do Better - Everton
Donkey of the Year - Pedro Alvaro

--

SUMMER PLANS

When I look at my first XI I have one change in mind but that isnt drastic. Every transfer window I receive huge bids for some of my players and I may be tempted this time to cash in on a few but it could be a case of receiving a bid and then looking to see if I can upgrade the player that I am selling. Difficult to do.​

1600880327860.png

PRE-SEASON POST

I had a think and came up with a plan but I dont know if it will work lol. It has 2 phases and phase one is successfully done. Hopefully I will get to reveal phase 2 in time!

Regarding my squad I made several changes. Two first picks have gone while some backups have also been moved on. I have promoted 5 new players to the first team squad and made 1 huge signing. As for outgoings I raked in a massive £339m in player sales. That includes about £140m in sales of pre-contracted signings (Rabiot, Pinamonti, Cook) and my Uruguayans but a few favourites have gone also.

Anywho regarding Benfica there isnt much other news. My successful B team manager left to join nobody but wanted a new challenge so Rui Faria - my ex coach and Jose Mourinho confidante - has replaced him.

Now without further ado I go onto my transfers...........

--

PLAYERS OUT
OUT.png
OUT2.png

Above are just the permanent transfers - there are a load of loan moves for £1-2m a season each.

The biggest deal was for Tiago Dantas. Tbh I was always considering cashing in on him as with Paulo Bernardo progressing so well and not getting a chance I felt it was only fair to give him a shot so someone had to go and that was Dantas. Technically he is superb but to get nearly £60m for a player who plays a dozen games is too good to turn down.

Rafa is one of 2 first choice players on the move. He just turned 30 and with his injury last season I feared that he was declining so I cashed in on him. He played 155 games for me and scored 41 goals - not bad considering he played out of position all of the time!!!

Nuno Tavares is also gone. I really liked him and he never let me down but I had another LB in the ranks overdue for promotion and upon comparison I decided to sell when Barcelona made their move. I got £39.5m for him and he played 92 times and scored 5 goals.

My 2nd first pick who is leaving is Dominik Livakovic who has joined RB Leipzig for £26m rising to £32.5m. He has done nothing wrong and considering we have only conceded 17 goals in our last 2 league seasons that is proof of that. I signed the Croatian for £13m and in 156 appearances he kept 113 clean sheets!!!!!

Maybe somewhat controversially I sold wonderkid Matias Arezo. He left for Hoffenheim for an inital £25m and considering he cost me £1m thats not bad. He got into double figures for goals last season but I wasnt a huge fan in truth.

My final 2 first team squad members who left were Pedro Alvaro and Alan Rodriguez. Alvaro barely played so to get £23m for him was a great deal and Rodriguez was only in the first team due to injuries last season so I wasnt bothered about him going.

Several players are out on loan. Nascimento and Resende were key players for my B team with Resende scoring 23 goals last term but I felt that in order for them to really improve they need to play top division football. Strijbosch, Lasso and Silva are also loaned out despite being good enough for my first team squad.

--

PLAYERS IN

No point in showing all of my transfers - just one or two. I took in £339m and I only spent £101m and £83m of that was on just one player!!!!!

That £83m went on a player who I have always wanted to sign on FM but never done so. Antony is his name and playing on the right wing is his game! I brought him in from Borussia Dortmund and at 23y/o he can still improve. On comparison with Tsygankov they are fairly similar but I have a feeling that Antony may score more - if he doesnt he will be a huge waste of money!!!! Naturally he replaces Rafa in the squad so for the first time in my time here I will have a natural RW!
antony.png

The other 2 signings I am going to show you are both regen strikers who will ply their trade with my B team. Goncalo Quintas joined from Chaves for £10.75m and I hope he progresses. At 19y/o he is slightly older for a regen at this time in a save but I think I can develop him and he scored 16 goals in the 2nd division last season. The other one is 16y/o Nicholas Nielsen who came in for £2.5m - I think I have a future world class striker here!!!
quintas.png
nielsen.png

--

SQUAD

I will introduce my new player promotions with a screenshot....

So you have seen my signings and sales yet you see I have not brought in anyone to replace my goalkeeper Livakovic? Do not worry. 3rd choice from last term - Luis Cerqueira - is my new keeper. I signed him for £10m last season and he played in the 2nd tier with my B team but I think that this wonderkid has what it takes to go to the top. Donnarumma wasnt interested and that was the only keeper I had my eyes on so Cerqueira will be my keeper now.
cerqueira.png

In defence the back 4 stays the same. However I have a new backup left back and Morato has returned from his loan spell and is back to being my 4th choice CB. Gonzalo Ramirez is the left back. I signed him in my 2nd season for £4.2m and I have loaned him out since then for a total of £3m. He is 22y/o and has 2 caps for Argentina but I think he will do well. At only 5ft 3" he wont be winning many headers at the back post though!!! Here are their screenshots..........
ramirez.png
morato.png

As for midfield there are a couple of changes. I have decided to change my CM partnership with Ronaldo Camara now becoming first choice and with Renato Sanches dropping down to the bench. Sanches is a brilliant player but Camara was amazing last season and at 20y/o he can still come on leaps and bounds. With Diantas leaving I have finally promoted Paulo Bernardo to the squad. He is an ex wonderkid who has been out on loan in the previous seasons and looks a player.
bernardo.png

In the attacking midfield areas Antony will battle it out with Tsygankov for the RW slot but will obviously start ahead of the Ukrainian and other than that there are no changes.

Up front Dembele is still my main man but replacing Arezo as my backup striker is Serbian forward Zoran Petric. The wonderkid netted 18 times last season for the B team and he looks a player!
petric.png

--

SEASON AIMS

Having gone 2 seasons undefeated in the league I now want to have a perfect league campaign and win all of our league games. Naturally a Champions League victory wouldnt go amiss either lol. I aint asking for much!!!

--

1600886997480.png

PORTUGAL

UEFA Nations League Semi-Final
spain.png

Lineup
- Lopes, Semedo, Dias, Ferro, Guerreiro, Luis, Neves, B.Silva (Rafa), Felix (Fernandes), Guedes (Diogo Jota), Leao*

A fine victory that sees us march into the final. We actually missed an early penalty when Bernardo Silva had his effort saved but we took the lead when Rafael Leao struck and Diogo Jota sealed things with a last minute effort.

--

UEFA Nations League Final
holland.png

Lineup - Lopes, Semedo (Marcos Paulo), Dias, Ferro (Vezo), Guerreiro (Vinagre), Luis, Neves, B.Silva, Felix, Guedes (Diogo Jota), Leao

Ouch!!!! To lose a final like this is hard to take. It was an even match and penalties probably would have been the fairest way to decide things but they nicked a goal in the last minute of stoppage time to win it for them. Diogo Jota has come off the bench in our last 3 matches and scored which is pretty impressive!

Last edited:
Good luck with this season, hope you get favourable draws in the UCL this year!

Who's been your favourite player this save?