SL Benfica - Breaking the Guttmann Curse

1602968950607.png

Artur Santos
1950-61
Defender
284 apps, 0 goals

Santos spent his entire career with Benfica and retired just before the club won 2 European Cups. He did win 4 league titles though and also 2 caps for Portugal.

--

JANUARY

famalicao.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Ferro, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix*, Everton, Petric (Ramos)

Despite only winning by the 1 goal we should have scored much more such was our dominance. At least we won though and Joao Felix scored yet again.

--

tondela.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis (Sanches), Budinauckas*, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Ramos), Everton, Petric

A boring match that was settled by a Zoran Petric goal. Jonny Budinauckas got yet another MOM award while starting - thats 4 from 7 starts!!!

--

aves.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Camara*, Antony (Tsygankov), Almada, Everton (Ramos), Petric (Imbesi)

The goals seem to have dried up a bit as Antony and Everton are off form and we are missing Mbappe. My latest signing, Rogelio Imbesi, came off the bench to make his debut.

--

Taca de Portugal Quarter-Final
sporting.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Everton, Petric (Imbesi)

A truly disgusting performance as up to the 80th minute we only had 1 shot on goal. Antony, Petric and Felix were hopeless and we are dumped out of the Portuguese Cup. The fact that their goal was a 35 yard screamer offers no consolation.

--

porto.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Budinauckas, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton (Almada), Petric (Imbesi)

We bounce back from our cup exit with an excellent away win over Porto. Petric put us ahead and we were pegged back but Joao Felix tucked away a penalty to give us the advantage again. Tomas Tavares scored a stunning rare goal as he powered in a volley from a narrow angle and although they pulled a goal back we hung on for the win.

--

Allianz Cup Semi-Final
semi.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Camara, Antony*, Felix (Almada), Everton, Petric (Imbesi)

Back to back victories over Porto and with this one we reach the Allianz Cup final. It was won thanks to a terrific free-kick from Antony and Porto never really troubled us after that.

--

Allianz Cup Final
final.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias*, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Budinauckas, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Lasso (Almada), Petric (Imbesi)

Normally I would be delighted to win a trophy but I am embarrassed that we couldnt get the job done in 90min. We had to rely on a penalty shoot-out to claim the cup and that was even a non event as they missed all 3 of their penalties.

--

nacional.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Mbappe (Tsygankov), Felix, Lasso, Petric*

The goals were flowing here as Kylian Mbappe returned from injury. He was recommended to play just 45min so I gave him the first half on the RW since Antony was injured. The great shame was that Camara missed a penalty to deny him his hat-trick.

--

belenenses.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Ferro), Grimaldo, Luis, Camara (Budinauckas), Mbappe (Tsygankov), Felix, Lasso, Petric*

We end the month with an easy win. Zoran Petric has finally rekindled his goalscoring form and has 5 in his last 5 league games.

--

SUMMARY

January was a bit of a mixed month. On one hand we won all 6 of our league fixtures and that included a 3-2 win over FC Porto to top the league and we also collected the Allianz Cup, again beating Porto in the semis before we came out on top on penalties against Tondela in a dismal final.

Picking up a trophy is always good but I have standards and they just werent met at various points in the month and none more so when we lost to Sporting Lisbon in the Taca de Portugal which was infuriating.

There was a bit of transfer movement in the window with 1 first team player leaving. The man gone is Goncalo Ramos who joined Guangzhou Evergrande for an initial £57m which could go up to £67m which is a remarkable amount of money for our 3rd choice AMC and striker!!! In total Ramos played 108 times for me (just 12 starts) and scored 19 goals.

I received bids for Tomas Tavares, Hugo Lasso, Ronaldo Camara and Zoran Petric but I rejected all those bids although I did loan out Joao Resende amongst others.

Incoming was Rogelio Imbesi in a deal that was pre-arranged and he was signed for £4.2m. The Argentinian forward looks like a top prospect and I had planned to loan him out but that didnt go to plan so I decided to keep him around and loan out Resende instead.
imbesi.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ZORAN PETRIC
PETRIC.png

--

LIGA NOS
JAN.png

1603030673434.png

Andre Almeida
2012-present
Defender
281 apps, 10 goals

Signed from Belenenses, Almeida continues to play for Benfica and has done for 8 years now. So far he has won 5 league titles, 2 Portuguese Cups and 4 League Cups and was part of the side that finished runners-up in the Europa League twice! He has 8 caps for Portugal.

--

FEBRUARY

vg.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu*, Grimaldo (Ramirez), Luis, Camara, Mbappe, Felix (Almada), Lasso, Petric

Very nice. We won 5-1 and it could have been more as Joao Felix missed a penalty and we also missed several chances. Petric scored for the 4th game running and Lasso for the 3rd with his goal being a stunning free-kick.

--

leixoes.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Budinauckas (Hegedus), Camara, Tsygankov, Felix*, Lasso, Petric

Cant say much about this match as I went missing between half-time and the 85th minute!!!! Lasso and Petric scored again and while that keeps on happening they will stay in the team.

--

portimonense.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Camara*, Mbappe, Felix (Almada), Lasso, Petric (Antony)

Lasso and Petric finally fail to score just when Everton and Antony come back to fitness. Antony came off the bench to score which was a nice touch.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
celtic.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Mbappe*, Felix, Lasso (Everton), Petric

A comfortable win and one that all but sees us into the quarter-finals and as such my backups will play the 2nd leg.

--

rio ave.png

Lineup - Rita, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Budinauckas*, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Everton (Petric), Mbappe

Since becoming my first choice keeper, Luis Cerqueira missed his first game for me and that gave Danilo Rita a chance to make his debut. He did his job and got a clean sheet but going forward we were terrible. In the end Jonny Budinauckas, who was by far and away our best player before he scored, fired in the winner late on to spare our blushes.

--

fuckoff.png

Lineup - Rita, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Budinauckas, Antony (Petric), Felix (Almada), Everton, Mbappe

**** OFF!!!

I was a bit eager in the build up to this match and clicked continue too much so Rita and Budinauckas remained in the side. This possibly really affected us as only Dias got pass marks. My big attacking players have come into the side and we have regressed and we were well beaten by our bogey side.

--

SUMMARY

This month confirmed what I had suspected. My first XI in my head is probably not my first XI truthfully and some changes need to happen. I know for a fact that one player is rated at 3 stars while his backup is 4 and a half stars. Performances this months were decent when I had Lasso, Petric etc in the side but we were poorer when Antony, Everton etc came in and that culminated in our dreadful performance against Sporting Lisbon when we lost 2-0. We still hold an advantage in the league title and just need to see things out.

That being said I plan to change things in the summer and have 1 transfer target in mind but even then I dont know if we will be able to afford him!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KYLIAN MBAPPE
MBAPPE.png

--

LIGA NOS
FEB.png

1603052557096.png

Jardel
2011-present
Defender
267 apps, 16 goals

Brazilian Jardel, the first non capped player in this list, was brought to Portugal by Olhanense and spent 1 season there before moving to Benfica for a bargain £400,000. He has since become a key player for Benfica and in his time won 5 league titles, 2 Portuguese Cups and 5 League Cups and also finished as a runner-up in the Europa League twice.

--

MARCH

maritimo.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Ferro), Grimaldo, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Antony, Felix, Everton*, Mbappe

We fell behind but fortunately that didnt affect us overly as we ran out comfortable victors. Joao Felix scored with a free-kick and a penalty while Everton and Mbappe scored the others. The Sporting Lisbon game is behind us now lol. This win secures our Champions League qualification and I have an initial budget of £72m for next season.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
2-0.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch, Ferro, Ramirez, Sanches (Hegedus), Budinauckas*, Tsygankov (Salvador), Almada, Lasso, Petric (Imbesi)

With a 4 goal first leg lead I took the opportunity to play my backups and they saw the job through easily enough.

--

boavista.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo (Pereira), Luis, Camara*, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Everton (Almada), Mbappe

Very nice. We won fairly easily and it was a big win as Sporting played before us and won to overtake us so the pressure was on and we did what we had to do. Edgar Pereira, a Paraguayan left back I signed in January, came off the bench to make his debut.

--

braga.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo (Tavares), Luis, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada*), Everton, Mbappe

Braga beat us earlier in the season so we gained revenge here despite Grimaldo and Antony going off injured. It took a while for us to get going but Mbappe put us in front and Almada smashed in a free-kick for the 2nd.

--

SUMMARY

A perfect month as we won all of our matches so I am a happy manager! We have taken charge of the league as Sporting lost their last match and we have a 5pt lead with 5 games to go. Sporting have the head to head advantage over us so it isnt all over but we should surely see things through.

We also progressed in the Champions League and easily saw off Celtic but now things will be tougher in the quarter-finals as Man City will be our opponents and if we beat them Chelsea or Liverpool will be our opponents.

Surprise surprise my youth intake was awful!!!! I havent had a single stand out player - even the magnificent Jonny Budinauckas wasnt that impressive when he came in but he has developed brilliantly.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RONALDO CAMARA
CAMARA.png

--

LIGA NOS
MARCH.png

--

1603052800018.png

PORTUGAL

Friendly
chile.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias (Leite), Ferro (Vinhas), Vinagre (Mendes), Neves*, Camara (Baro), Leao (Fernandes), Felix, Diogo Jota, F.Silva

A good win but there was a sour note as Tomas Tavares got injured and will be out for around a month.

--

Friendly
norn iron.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Esteves, Dias*, Ferro, Vinagre (Mendes), Luis (Baro), Camara, B.Silva (Neto), Felix (F.Silva), Embalo (Diogo Jota), Leao (Fernandes)

FC Porto's Tomas Esteves replaced Tavares in the squad after his injury and came in to make his debut as we thump Northern Ireland.

1603135785704.png

Francisco Moreira
1944-54
Midfielder
266 apps, 4 goals

Wikipedia has next to nothing on this lad!!!! 2 league titles and 4 Portugese cups were won and he earned 7 caps for Portugal, scoring once.

--

APRIL

TOND.png

Lineup
- Cerqueiro, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo (Ramirez), Luis (Hegedus), Budinauckas*, Tsygankov, Almada, Everton (Lasso), Mbappe

Surprisingly this was a very tough match but we were without a few player but Jonny Budinauckas came in for a start and as is his usual he starred and got the MOM award.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg
man city.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Tsygankov (Petric), Almada, Everton (Lasso), Mbappe

I am overjoyed with this victory and it was totally against the run of play. Once again we were without a few players and it certainly showed as Man City dominated us but we got the only goal of the game when Mbappe burst into the box and finished from a tight angle.

--

FARENSE.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Matos, Strijbosch, Ferro, Ramirez, Luis, Budinauckas, Tsygankov, Felix*, Everton, Petric

I only had 4 first choice players playing here and they put in a magnificent performance, borne by the fact that I dint make a single substitution.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
city.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Sanches (Hegedus), Camara, Mbappe (Almada), Felix, Everton (Lasso), Petric*

We saunter into the semis with a comfortable home victory. Zoran Petric scored twice and we just eased things through. This was a flip reverse of the first leg tbh but in their home leg we won 1-0 despite underperforming but we showed them how to do things at home here.

--

santa.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Matos, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara*, Tsygankov, Almada, Everton (Lasso), Petric (Imbesi)

We were struggling here as we were a goal down but on the 53rd minute they had a man sent-off while conceding a penalty and Thiago Almada duly converted it. Camara struck twice and Sebahattin Sahinoglu once as we ran out easy winners.

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 1st Leg
liverpool.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis, Camara, Mbappe, Felix (Almada), Everton, Petric (Antony)

We got away with one here!! Liverpool were the better side and had 2 first half goals disallowed and missed a load of chances and somehow we held on to take a nil nil draw back to Portugal. We now just have to see the job out in the home leg.

--

SUMMARY

On the field everything was superb. We won all 3 league games which means with 2 games to go we just need 1 win to secure the league title. However it was our exploits in the Champions League which stood out as we beat Man City home and away to reach the semis and in the 1st leg of our semi-final we drew 0-0 away to Liverpool which is decent.

Off the field I have been given 3 major headaches for both club and country. Firstly Ronaldo Camara is out for nearly a month so his season is all but over and he will be a huge miss. Secondly, Moussa Dembele who is on loan at Juventus, broke his leg and will be out for 4-5 months so its unlikely that I will be able to sell him and with his contract up at the end of next season that is a huge financial hit - if only he accepted the £40m move to Man Utd last summer.

Finally Bernardo Silva also got a bad injury and he will miss the World Cup.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
SEBAHATTIN SAHINOGLU
ss.png

--

LIGA NOS
april.png

1603216887425.png

Eduardo Salvio
2010-11 & 2012-19
Midfielder
266 apps, 62 goals

Initially signed on loan from Atletico Madrid he rejoined the club 2 seasons later for £12m where he stayed for 7 years. The Argentinian winger won 4 Leage titles, 2 Portugese Cups and 4 League Cups while at Benfica before leaving to join Boca Juniors. He played 14 times for Argentina.

--

MAY

pdf.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Strijbosch, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo, Luis (Sanches), Budinauckas, Mbappe, Felix, Everton*, Petric (Antony)

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

We struggled for most of the match and I was beginning to wonder if Joao Resende was going to score against me again to beat us but we got 3 goals to seal the title. Now for the big game.

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg
1-0.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo (Tavares), Luis (Sanches), Budinauckas, Antony, Felix (Almada), Everton, Mbappe*

We reach the final thanks to a narrow victory over Liverpool. Kylian Mbappe struck early on for his 30th of the season and the rest of the match was played quite evenly. They had a spell late on when they turned on the pressure and had a few chances but that was possibly caused by the fact that Grimaldo went off injured and I had a makeshift replacement in Tomas Tavares.

Man Utd will be our opponents in the final again while reaching the final means we have qualified for the next FIFA Club World Cup!!!

--

zzzzzz.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch*, Ferro, Ramirez, Sanches, Budinauckas (Hegedus), Tsygankov, Almada, Lasso, Petric (Imbesi)

A horrible, boring way to end the season. We played out a 0-0 draw and it was terrible stuff really. The only good thing was that I got to rest my first choice players for the Champions League final.

--

UEFA Champions League Final
man utd.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Grimaldo (Ramirez), Luis*, Camara (Budinauckas), Tsygankov (Petric), Felix, Everton, Mbappe

THREE TIMES IN A ROW!!!!!

We left it late but we win the Champions League for the 3rd time in a row. We fell behind just before the hour mark when Rashford headed home at the near post but Joao Felix levelled after 75min and then with the last kick (or head) of the ball Everton nodded home at the back post to give us the Champions League.

--

SUMMARY

The final month of the season was all about the Champions League! Sure we secured the league title again but realistically that was never in doubt as we beat Pacos de Ferreira 3-0 to secure the Championship and we then played out a horrible 0-0 draw with Famalicao.

All our attention was on the Champions League and we reached the final after defeating Liverpool 1-0 at home to set up a final tie with Man Utd and despite falling behind in the 2nd half we levelled through Felix and Everton headed home the winner deep into stoppage time.

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE FOR THE 3RD SEASON RUNNING!!!!

End of season post to follow.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
EVERTON
EVERTON.png

1603298565349.png

END OF SEASON POST

Season number 7 is over and it was another successful one although we didnt win everything. Overall I actually think we took a step backwards as we only won the league with 1 game to go, scored less goals, didnt win the Taca de Portugal and overall it seemed as though we werent firing on all cylinders.

As I said we won the league on the penultimate weekend of the season although we ended up 7pts clear of 2nd placed Sporting Lisbon. We lost 2 games this season which was annoying after we were unbeaten last term and although the injury to Kylian Mbappe may have affected us over the winter period and we only scored 91 goals while Joao Felix was our top league goalscorer.

In the domestic cup competitions we won the Supertaca by thrashing FC Porto 5-0 and we claimed the Allianz Cup by beating Tondela on penalties after a horrible boring 0-0 draw. In the Taca de Portugal we were knocked out by Sporting Lisbon in the quarter-finals which was a major disappointment.

On the continental front we won the European Super Cup and also for the first time the FIFA Club World Cup as we beat Real Madrid in the final. Also our exploits in the UEFA Champions League meant that we won the trophy for the 3rd year in succession. We thumped Juventus 4-0 home and away in the group stages before knocking out Celtic, Man City and Liverpool to reach the final - in doing so we didnt concede a single goal! In the final we fell behind to Man Utd but Joao Felix levelled and Everton headed home the winner deep into stoppage time.

As for my B team - they won the Liga PRO yet again but this time it was a final day decider. They were up against 2nd placed FC Porto B and beat them 3-1 to win the 2nd tier yet again.

--

LIGA NOS

table.png

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

squad.png
squad2.png

Goalkeepers - Luis Cerqueira played all but 2 of the games and even then I mistakenly forgot to put him back in for 1 of those but he was decent enough. Danilo Rita came in for the 2 matches - his first appearances for me.

Defenders - Much the same as ever. Grimaldo offered the most going forward, Dias and Sebahattin Sahinoglu were solid in the middle and Ongoiba was decent on the right. I am disappointed however not to give more games to Nick Strijbosch but hopefully he will get more game time next season - the same goes for Tavares and Ramirez come to think of it.

Midfielders - Florentino Luis was consistent as usual and even got a goal which was nice but his partner Ronaldo Camara was in inspired form. By far and away the best player by rating and arguably the best central midfielder in the world!!!! He is just outstanding. So too was Jonny Budinauckas who came into the squad this season and was immense and he got 7 MOM awards in just 18 starts. He really excelled this season.

On the RW Antony was disappointing in front of goal - he really should be getting close to 20 for a campaign but his understudy, Tsygankov did well. Over on the LW Everton did a bit better in front of goal and did well but it seems the season where he got 27 goals was very much a fluke!!!! Hugo Lasso was his understudy and did well when called upon.

At AMC Joao Felix had a much better season and was our top scorer in the league and he finished with 22 goals overall. Thiago Almada had a quieter season as a result but still did well - he really could walk into any other side in the world.

Forwards - I was actually a bit disappointed with Kylian Mbappe. Sure he got 30 in all competitions but I expect more for someone on £500k a week!!! On the other hand he did miss 2 months (Dec & Jan) so to score 30 goals is pretty good going. Zoran Petric was his deputy and he did OK but dropped off from last season.

My Player of the Season - Ronaldo Camara
My Young Player of the Season - Zoran Petric
Must Do Better - Antony
Donkey of the Year - Arpad Hegedus

--

SUMMER PLANS

With the 2026 World Cup going on I am going to be busy!!!! At club level however there are plans afoot. I think this team needs a little shake up and I am looking to move a few players on. As ever I will promote as much as I can from within but I will spend a few pennies on first team players unlike last season. I have one target in mind for one position - the others I have not a clue.​

1603298682404.png

PORTUGAL

Friendly
serbia.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias (Vinhas), Ferro (Quaresma), Vinagre (Mendes), Luis, Camara (Dantas), Embalo, Felix*, Diogo Jota, F.Silva (Seakins)

A decent win as the wonderfully named Ed Seakins (very Portuguese lol) made his international bow as did Sporting Lisbon centre back Eduardo Quaresma.

--

Friendly
tunisia.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias (Vinhas), Ferro (Quaresma), Vinagre (Mendes), Luis (Dantas), Camara, Seakins, Fernandes, Embalo, F.Silva

--

1603298848143.png

SQUAD FOR THE 2026 FIFA WORLD CUP

Goalkeepers
NAMECLUBPOSAGEVALUECAPSGOALS
Luis CERQUEIRASL BENFICAGK22£34m290
Diogo COSTAFC PortoGK26£11.25m170
WESLEY FERNANDOChelseaGK21£44m10

Defenders
Joao CANCELOManchester CityDRL32£41.5m696
Ruben DIASSL BENFICADC29£42m9511
FERROSouthamptonDC29£54m684
Nuno MENDESSporting LisbonDL23£19.5m50
Eduardo QUARESMASporting LisbonDC24£26.5m21
Tomas TAVARESSL BENFICADR25£38m270
Ruben VINAGREWolverhampton WanderersDL27£55m111
David VINHASManchester UnitedDC23£35m80

Midfielders
Romario BAROManchester CityMC26£76m134
Ronaldo CAMARASL BENFICAM/AMC23£44m265
Tiago DANTASBayern MunichCM25£72m50
DIOGO JOTAWolverhampton WanderersAML/ST29£55m4914
Umaro EMBALOAjaxAMRL25£36m61
Joao FELIXSL BENFICAAMLC/ST26£46.5m6517
Bruno FERNANDESManchester UnitedM/AMC31£46m5610
Goncalo GUEDESAC MilanAML29£58m7831
Florentino LUISSL BENFICAMC26£44.5m662

Forwards
Rafael LEAOReal MadridST27£64m5317
Ed SEAKINSAtletico MadridAMR/ST20£56m20
Fabio SILVAAC MilanST23£58m5027

--

Group L

venezuela.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias, Ferro, Mendes, Luis, Camara, Embalo, Felix*, Guedes (Diogo Jota), F.Silva (Leao)

We kick-off our World Cup campaign with a huge victory over Venezuela. We had a 2nd minute goal from Embalo disallowed but that didnt affect us as we rattled in 6. Joao Felix scored a hat-trick while Cancelo scored direct from a free-kick 30 yards out.

--

mali.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Vinhas, Ferro, Mendes, Baro (Dantas), Camara, Embalo, Felix*, Guedes (Diogo Jota), Seakins

group.png

--

2nd Round

4-1.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Cancelo, Vinhas, Quaresma, Vinagre, Luis (Baro), Dantas, Seakins, Fernandes*, Diogo Jota (Guedes), Leao

Having drawn Tunisia I decided to rest my first choice players in order to keep them fresh later on in the tournament. The risk paid off as we won 4-1 just like we did in the friendly against Tunisia before the tournament.

--

3rd Round

uruguay.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias, Ferro, Mendes, Luis, Camara, Embalo*, Felix, Guedes (Diogo Jota), F.Silva (Leao)

We came up against the nation who I left to manage Portugal and we sweep them aside quite easily. Fabio Silva missed a first half penalty but he scored a minute later. Ferro headed in the 2nd, Diogo Jota got the 3rd and Cancelo fired in a free-kick for the 4th. Disappointing to concede 2 goals but hey ho.

3rd round.png

--

Quarter-Final

mexico.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias, Ferro, Mendes, Luis, Camara, Seakins (Leao), Felix (Fernandes), Guedes, F.Silva*

Mexico are one of the host nations but they helped me out big time here when they had a man sent-off in the 2nd minute. Then we got our 1st goal when their keeper kicked the ball off Fabio Silva and it bounced into the net.

qf.png

--

Semi-Final

FRANCE.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias, Vinhas, Vinagre, Baro, Dantas, Embalo*, Felix (Fernandes), Guedes, Leao (Diogo Jota)

WOW!!!!

We reach the World Cup Final thanks to a magnificent 3-0 victory over France. We took the lead when Embalo ran from within his own half to finish from 25 yards and then minutes later Kylian Mbappe gave away a penalty only for Joao Felix to have his effort saved. Guedes however struck to put us 2-0 up at half time and we got another penalty in the 2nd half which Bruno Fernandes duly converted.

SEMIS.png

--

Final

holland.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Ferro, Mendes (Vinagre), Luis, Camara, Seakins (Embalo), Felix, Guedes (Diogo Jota), F.Silva (Leao)

PORTUGAL WIN THE WORLD CUP!!!!!

What an achievement!!!! We fell behind early doors here but soon levelled when Kenneth Taylor played a pass blind across his area and Fabio Silva was on hand to tap it in. What followed was a nervy affair with not many clear cut chances but we just had the better of it I felt. Into extra time it went and up popped Joao Felix to find the net to put us in front. Then with the last kick of the game Calvin Stengs scored but it was ruled out for offside and we then had our hands on the trophy!!!

1603400097854.png

PRE-SEASON POST

Sure it was a huge summer for the national team but as you will see it was arguably just as big a summer for my club side. I said towards the end of last season that I felt that I needed to freshen things up and I feel I have done that. 4 or 5 staples of my first team squad have gone and in total with a month of the transfer window to go I have sold £380m worth of players.

Incoming, at the price of £264m, are several players. My number one target was signed, possibly the best young player in his position plus the winner of last seasons European Golden Boot Award has joined the squad.

So without further ado here are my transfer dealings and a time to say a fond farewell.................

--

PLAYERS OUT

Firstly my financial doping - I signed 5 players on pre-contracts including Jean-Clair Todibo and a couple of wonderkids. All were immediately moved on for a handsome some which could rise to around £150m!!!!!!

The first fond farewell goes to Everton who joined Man City for £43m. I am pretty sure I rejected double that a couple of seasons ago but he is 30 now and although he was playing well my NO.1 target was in his position so he had to go. His last kick of the ball for us was the winning goal in last seasons Champions League final which was quite fitting and in total he played 310 games for us and scored 112 goals.

Ferro has also gone as he joined Southampton for £33m leading to £41m. Under me he played 243 times and scored 20 goals and he wanted a new challenge so he left just before the World Cup.

Alex Grimaldo (284 apps, 23 goals and 85 assists!!!) has also departed. He joined Man Utd for £26.5m and although he was always superb for me and got so many assists he was a star and a half less rated than Ramirez and with him reaching 30 I felt it was time to say goodbye.

Renato Sanches is also gone as he joined Juventus for £20.5m. He was my 4th choice CM and was on a big wage and tbh I felt I could get better but I do love him as a player. In his 2nd spell at the club he played 209 games and scored 31 goals. He scored nearly half of those goals in his first season back.

Finally in the fond farewell section is Moussa Dembele who finally left after being loaned out for the past couple of seasons. He joined Monaco for £21m and played 177 games and scored a very impressive 117 goals for me.

I also sold several players who I signed for a pittance, loaned them out or chucked them into the B team or both and sold them on. Paulo went for £40m (signed for free in January), Josema was signed for £1.2m and was sold to my beloved Athletic Bilbao for £41m and Ufuk Celik (Free - loaned out - £32.5m).

Joao Resende - a pet project of mine - never quite made the grade and left for £2.5m while I loaned out my usual ton of players including, maybe surprisingly, Zoran Petric and also Arpad Hegedus.

As for transfers rejected I had some mammoth offers - none more so than £177m for Jonny Budinauckas from Liverpool!!!!! Luis, Tavares and Sebahattin Sahinoglu also attracted bids.

--

PLAYERS IN

Now for the replacements and now time to unveil my no.1 target who I have tried to get since I came here. In the end I paid £80m up front with £60m in 3 installments (I hadnt sold anyone by this point!!!) to bring him in and that is Ansu Fati who joined from Liverpool. He will be my LW and will hopefully tear the Portuguese league apart. He is much better than Everton so I have really strengthened my squad and at 23y/o he can also get better.
fati.png

To replace Grimaldo I spent £82m on Athletic Bilbao left back Asier Lopez. He looks like a world class player and will compete with Ramirez. It is only right that Ramirez starts as first choice given his patience but as soon as one plays poor the other will come in.
lopez.png

The final player to be signed for my first team squad is 18y/o Brazilian wonderkid midfielder Joao Paulo from Santos. I signed him for £24m and I think he will be a world beater. I am really excited about this signing but in Luis, Camara and Budinauckas he has some serious competition in front of him.
jp.png

I signed several regens with this lad deserving a post. Luka Pavlic is only 17 but I have had my eyes on him since he was 15 and I paid £14.75m for him and he goes into my B team. Funnily enough I cant see him playing for the first team as he is a natural DMC but I will hopefully develop him and sell him on for a huge profit in 6 or 7 years. Loads of loan fees will be coming in too for him.
pavlic.png

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

The goalkeepers stay the same but in defence Asier Lopez comes in to challenge Ramirez at left back. With Ferro leaving Strijbosch will be bumped up and that gives an opportunity to promote my young Peruvian CB Italo Reyes. I signed him for £850k and loaned him out for £1m last season and he has 1 season to impress.
reyes.png

In midfield it is the same except Fati is in at LW and Joao Paulo comes in as a backup CM however I have called up a regen in Cesar Roige to be my 3rd choice AMC. He got a long term injury during the summer and cant be loaned out but at £20m and being good enough for my first team squad he will have a season with the big boys. I signed him for £4m and have already recouped half that on loan fees.
roige.png

Finally upfront with Petric leaving on loan I called up the reigning European Golden Boot Award winner. Yes one of my backup players got loaned out and won the golden boot!!!! Goncalo Quintas (remember him?) went out on loan to Bayern Munich last season where he scored 35 goals and I felt I had to give him a chance. Sure I capped him for Portugal too early (he has 3 caps) and I overpaid for him at the time (£10.75m) but with his season in Germany he is now a world class striker and I rejected a £89m bid from Bayern Munich for him!!!!
QUINTAS.png

1603625525832.png

Antonio Martins
1938-47
Goalkeeper
265 apps, 0 goals

Martins started his career with Sporting Lisbon but after 4 years and 4 appearances he joined Benfica where he spent the rest of his career. He won 3 league titles and Portuguese cups and he won 1 cap for Portugal.

--

AUGUST

Supertaca
supertaca.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Antony, Felix, Fati, Mbappe (Quintas)

Sporting are my bogey team so I am pleased that we beat them here to lift the Supertaca. Asier Lopez came off the bench to make his debut.

--

boavista.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Antony (Quintas), Felix, Fati, Mbappe*

Our league campaign is underway and we get a convincing victory over Boavista. Mbappe got a double while Ansu Fati got off the mark for us. Pretty annoyed that we conceded a goal though.

--

UEFA European Super Cup
atletico.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Camara*, Antony (Quintas), Felix (Almada), Fati (Lasso), Mbappe

We claim the European Super Cup thanks to an early goal from Sebahattin Sahinoglu. We dominated the match but couldnt add to our goals tally but we won the trophy and thats the main thing.

--

maritimo.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Strijbosch), Ramirez, Luis, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Fati, Mbappe*

This game was on my birthday and my players gave me the best present - a victory.

--

vg.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Camara, Antony, Felix (Almada), Mbappe*

Another double for Mbappe as he has started the season on fire. Camara scored a good goal from the edge of the area.

--

rio ave.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Budinauckas, Joao Paulo, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Fati, Mbappe*

We thrash Rio Ave here and we went 4-0 up after only 9min. Mbappe got a hat-trick as he was unplayable. Joao Paulo made his debut and performed well.

--

tondela.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez*), Luis, Camara, Antony (Quintas), Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe

We were struggling here until Asier Lopez scored with a powerful effort from the edge of the area. My other sub - Thiago Almada - wrapped it up with a 2nd goal.

--

SUMMARY

We have had an excellent start to the season as we won all 7 matches and that means we picked up the Supertaca and the UEFA European Super Cup. In the league we have been pretty good with Kylian Mbappe especially performing as he has 8 goals in 5 league games. Ansu Fati has had a quiet start but has scored a couple of goals while my other big signing, Asier Lopez, hasnt started a game yet but came off the bench in our last match to score and get the MOM award.

I received some more transfer offers for my players but I wasnt interested with a £76m bid for Thiago Almada coming in from Chelsea. As for incomings I just signed an 18y/o Japanese full back.

In the Champions League we have been given a half decent group - Chelsea, Fenerbahce and my beloved Athletic Bilbao!!!!
1603625966721.png
1603626001869.png
1603626038427.png
1603626068437.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KYLIAN MBAPPE
mbappe.png

--

LIGA NOS
aug.png

Last edited:
1603635607277.png

Alfredo Valadas
1934-44
Forward
264 apps, 158 goals

Valadas was signed from Sporting Lisbon after he had a year out of the game and went on to become a prolific scorer for Benfica. He scored both the 1st and 100th Benfica goal in the Primeira Liga which he won 5 times alongside 2 Portuguese Cups. He was capped 6 times for Portugal, scoring twice.

--

SEPTEMBER

santa.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis, Camara, Antony, Felix, Fati, Mbappe*

A very nice win and performance. I stuck to my word and dropped Ramirez at left back (despite only having 1 dodgy performance) to bring in Lopez after his last performance and he got an assist here.

--

UEFA Champions League Group G
athletic.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Strijbosch), Lopez, Luis, Camara*, Antony (Quintas), Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe

When I put on my Athletic Bilbao top this morning I wouldnt have conceived that I would have to face them today in the game!!!!! Asier Lopez made a quick return to his old stomping ground as did Josema although he didnt play a game for me. Naturally I am delighted with our performance and margin of victory yet I am also saddened that I did it to Athletic. Quintas scored his first Benfica goal while Camara's first goal came after only 13 seconds!!!

--

famalicao.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Strijbosch (Reyes), Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis, Budinauckas, Antony (Quintas), Almada, Fati, Mbappe

A horrific result.

Sure we were missing a few players but for an hour we were terrible and we were 2-0 down thanks to one of my own players, Rogelio Imbesi, who scored both goals. We pulled a goal back through Mbappe and he then had a late goal disallowed. No unbeaten league season for us this year then!!!!

Reyes came off the bench to make his debut.

--

Allianz Cup 3rd Phase Group C
setubal.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Otani), Strijbosch, Reyes, Lopez, Budinauckas (Pavlic), Joao Paulo, Tsygankov (Salvador), Almada, Lasso, Quintas*

After the huge disappointment in our last match I decided to take a risk and play my backups in this match and they did a fine job. Otani AND Pavlic made their debuts. My old pet project, Joao Resende, scored against me here - not for the first time!

--

leixoes.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias*, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis, Camara (Budinauckas), Antony (Quintas), Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe

A comfortable victory but having been 3-0 up early on I am slightly disappointed that we didnt score more goals.

--

fenerbahce.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez (Ramirez), Luis (Joao Paulo), Budinauckas, Antony, Felix, Fati (Quintas), Mbappe*

We fell behind here and were awful for the first half but somehow we went into the break 2-1 up as Mbappe scored twice in 3min. He went on to complete his hat-trick late on with a penalty and then Joao Felix scored a stunning volley from 20 yards to get our 4th.

--

SUMMARY

Naturally this month had a major low point as we lost out to Famalicao in the league thanks to one of my hot prospects - Rogelio Imbesi - scoring a double against us. We did have a goal disallowed in the last minute in that match to level things which was very annoying.

Another low point was our 5-0 win over Athletic Bilbao lol. Didnt want to thrash them!!!!!

Other than that everything went ok although some individuals need to step up - I am looking at you Ansu Fati, Joao Felix and Antony!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KYLIAN MBAPPE
km.png

--

LIGA NOS
SEP.png

--

1603635751518.png

PORTUGAL

UEFA Nations League Division A Group 2
russia.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Ferro, Mendes (Vinagre), Luis, Camara*, B.Silva, Felix (Fernandes), Guedes (Embalo), F.Silva

Our first match as World Champions and we did a professional job. Fabio Silva and Ronaldo Camara got the goals while Fabio Silva also had one disallowed.

--

croatia.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Vinhas, Quaresma*, Mendes (Vinagre), Dantas, Baro (Fernandes), B.Silva, Felix, Guedes, F.Silva

Another convincing victory as we take charge of the group with this win. Fabio Silva scored again but also had a goal disallowed again.

1603695875786.png

Silvino Louro
1986-94
Goalkeeper
263 apps, 0 goals

Signed from Vitoria Guimaraes, Louro played in 2 European Cup finals while at Benfica and won 4 league titles and 3 Portuguese Cups although he did have a short spell later on with FC Porto where he won more trophies. He won 23 caps for Portugal with his last cap coming in 1997, aged 38, as he became Portugal's oldest ever player.

--

OCTOBER

3-0.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch, Reyes, Ramirez, Joao Paulo*, Budinauckas (Pavlic), Tsygankov (Salvador), Almada (Roige), Lasso, Quintas

Very nice. Joao Paulo really impressed while I finally managed to give a debut to Cesar Roige who has been loaned out and would have been again had he not got a very bad inury in the summer so he stayed with us.

--

Taca de Portugal 3rd Round
fabril.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Otani), Strijbosch, Reyes, Ramirez, Joao Paulo, Almada, Tsygankov*, Roige (Pavlic), Lasso, Quintas

I would have liked to have scored more against this rabble but hey ho.

--

chelsea.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis (Joao Paulo), Budinauckas, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Fati*, Mbappe

We are all but through in the group now as we beat Chelsea to make it 3 wins out of 3. Ansu Fati finally put in a top drawer performance as he grabbed a goal, an assist and the MOM award.

--

porto.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis (Joao Paulo), Budinauckas, Antony, Felix, Fati, Mbappe

We return to league action with a hard fought victory over FC Porto and Neil Lennon who I am in constant disputes with in the media lol. We fell behind early doors when Esteves scored but Mbappe quickly levelled and then we got the winner when Fati scrambled the ball home.

--

SPORTING.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis, Budinauckas (Joao Paulo), Antony (Quintas), Felix, Fati (Lasso*), Mbappe

This is a huge result as we go up against our bogey side and beat them despite playing the final 25min with just 10 men! We took the lead when Lasso, just on after Fati got injured, curled home a free-kick but they soon levelled from the penalty spot. Then in the 2nd half and moments after making my last 2 subs - Luis went off injured so we were down to 10 men yet we still found the winner when Lasso set up Felix to score.

As for the 2 injured players, they will both be out for a month or so.

--

braga.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Strijbosch, Lopez (Ramirez), Joao Paulo, Almada, Antony (Tsygankov), Roige, Lasso (Quintas*), Mbappe

I am actually content with this point as with the games coming thick and fast and with the amount of players that were unavailable for me in this match to get a point is decent enough. We didnt play well but fortunately got a draw when Quintas headed in his first league goal for us.

--

SUMMARY

October started off with a couple of easy fixtures but ended with 3 or 4 really tough games as we faced Chelsea, FC Porto, Sporting Lisbon and Braga. In the end we came out of the month relatively unscathed results wise as we were unbeaten although not in a physical sense as several players picked up injuries during the month.

All together though things are looking very rosy!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
GONCALO QUINTAS
QUINTAS.png

--

LIGA NOS
OCT.png

--

1603696171909.png

PORTUGAL

SWITZERLAND.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Ferro, Mendes (Vinagre), Luis (Baro), Camara, B.Silva*, Felix, Guedes, Leao (Diogo Jota)

We have all but won the group now as we make it 3 wins out of 3.

--

ruskie.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias, Vinhas*, Mendes, Luis, Camara (Neves), Neto, Felix, Guedes, F.Silva (Leao)

This win secures our qualification for the knockout stages - now we just have to win the pesky tournament as it has eluded us s far!

1603727965128.png

Alvaro Magalhaes
1981-90
Defender
261 apps, 8 goals

Signed from Academica, Alvaro spent most of his playing career with Benfica and he was a runner-up in 1 UEFA Cup final and 2 European Cup finals although he did win 4 league titles and 4 Portuguese Cups. He actually had 6 fingers on his hands too which is a bit of a rarity. For Portugal he won 20 caps.

--

NOVEMBER

2-2.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Budinauckas, Joao Paulo, Antony, Felix (Almada), Lasso (Quintas), Mbappe

For 80 minutes Chelsea totally outplayed us and could have been 4 or 5 up but they were only ahead by 1 goal and we decided to play. We got a penalty which was duly converted by Mbappe and then we battered them with Almada and Quintas missing great chances. They had a man sent-off but we couldnt capitalise.

--

pdf.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Budinauckas, Camara (Joao Paulo), Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Lasso*, Mbappe

For the best part of an hour we were terrible here but Lasso headed us in front and I was expecting a victory but just a couple of minutes later Budinauckas was sent-off and the game was on a knife edge again. Thankfully Mbappe broke free to score the 2nd goal to seal things.

--

Taca de Portugal 4th Round
4-0.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Joao Paulo, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Roige), Lasso*, Quintas

This was a bit of a mix and match side as we still have a few players out. In the end we won easily and 3 of my backup players got a goal which was nice.

--

bilbao.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch*, Reyes, Lopez, Joao Paulo (Pavlic), Budinauckas, Tsygankov, Almada (Roige), Lasso, Quintas (Nielsen)

A fantastic result considering I put in my youngsters but as ever I am saddened that we beat Athletic. It looked like it was heading for a draw until we got a penalty and Cesar Roige tucked it away for his first goal for us. Nielsen then popped up with his maiden goal shortly after and Strijbosch nodded in the 3rd.

Athletic now have to beat Chelsea in the last group fixtures to qualify.

--

ll.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Joao Paulo*, Camara (Roige), Antony, Felix (Almada), Fati (Lasso), Mbappe

My 4 forwards all got a goal here as we sweep aside the minnows of the league. Joao Paulo was the star of the show though as he set up 2 goals but Ansu Fati's goal was a screamer from 25 yards.

--

SUMMARY

We stepped it up a gear this month but we are still not quite at our top level yet. Domestically we won all of our matches without conceding a goal yet despite that we are only 2pts clear at the top of the table. I would like us to hammer home a few more goals but hopefully that will come.

In Europe we drew with Chelsea and then my backups thumped Athletic Bilbao 3-0 at the San Mames as we consolidated our place at the top of the group. We do seem to turn on the style when the Champions League anthem is played!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
HUGO LASSO
LASSO.png

--

LIGA NOS
NOV.png

--

1603727918994.png

PORTUGAL

croat.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Ferro, Vinhas (Leite), Mendes, Baro, Camara, B.Silva, Fernandes, Felix, Leao

Not a great performance but it was a dead rubber game for us anyway.

--

swiss.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Cancelo), Dias, Ferro, Vinagre, Baro*, Neves (Dantas), Neto, Fernandes, Guedes (Diogo Jota), F.Silva

This win means we wrap up the group with 6 wins out of 6 and 6 clean sheets too!!! Not bad at all although it wasnt the hardest of groups.
group.png

1603744522598.png

Jose Torres
1959-71
Forward
259 apps, 226 goals

Jose Torres spent most of his career with Benfica but ended up playing for Estoril in 1980!!! He won 9 league titles and 4 Portuguese Cups as he starred in the side that had Eusebio and he had an incredible scoring record. For Portugal he played 33 times, scoring 14 goals and also managed the national side for 2 years.

--

DECEMBER

s2-1.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Joao Paulo, Camara*, Antony, Felix (Quintas), Fati (Strijbosch), Mbappe

This was a crazy match which had 3 goals and 3 red cards. Fortunately we won 2-1 on the goals front although Joao Resende scored against us yet again!!!

--

belenenses.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Strijbosch, Lopez (Ramirez), Budinauckas*, Camara, Antony, Felix, Fati, Mbappe

We have been due to give somebody a hiding for a while now and it seems that we picked Belenenses to receive it! Jonny Budinauckas scored a stunning hat-trick which included 2 free-kicks and also a long range effort from open play. 6 goals scored and not one for Mbappe!

--

1-0.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares (Otani), Strijbosch, Reyes, Ramirez, Budinauckas (Pavlic), Joao Paulo*, Tsygankov, Almada (Roige), Lasso, Quintas

We wrap up the group stage with my backups getting a narrow victory over Fenerbahce. We could have scored 4 or 5 such was our dominance in the match but had to settle for just the 1 goal scored by Quintas.

--

aves.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Strijbosch), Ramirez, Budinauckas, Camara*, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe

I was worried for a long while here as Aves had a man sent-off midway through the 1st half and we struggled to break them down but when Camara crashed a long range effort in the floodgates opened and both he and Fati ended up with doubles.

--

Taca de Portugal 5th Round
scb.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Budinauckas (Luis), Camara, Antony, Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe*

We march on with a decent win over Braga. An own goal and a fine finish from Mbappe was enough and Luis made his comeback from injury so it was a good day at the office.

--

0-0.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch*, Reyes, Ramirez, Budinauckas, Joao Paulo, Tsygankov (Kurland), Almada (Roige), Lasso, Quintas (Nielsen)

This was a horrible, dull and boring match but I suppose we only needed a point to qualify and thats what we got. 17y/o Danish winger, Ole Kurland, came off the bench to make his debut here.

--

SUMMARY

We ended 2026 in fine form as we won every match apart from a draw against Maritimo in the Allianz Cup. We got a couple of big wins in the league including a 6-0 thrashing of Belenenses and followed that up with a 4-0 win over Aves and it sees us go into 2027 with still just a 2pt lead at the top of the table.

Regarding cup draws we will play Spurs in the UEFA Champions League, Famalicao in the Taca de Portugal and SC Braga in the Allianz Cup.

As for the end of year awards Ronaldo Camara was yet again ignored. Despite having by far and away the highest average rating he wasnt even in the top 3!!!!

Ballon D'or Winner - Kylian Mbappe
The Best FIFA Mens Player Winner - Kylian Mbappe (Camara came 2nd)
World Player of the Year - Kylian Mbappe
World Goalkeeper of the Year - Luis Cerqueira
World Team of the Year - Luis Cerqueira, Ruben Dias, Ronaldo Camara, Joao Felix, Kylian Mbappe
European Golden Boy - Steven Sekotlong (one of my regens out on loan)

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RONALDO CAMARA
CAMARA.png

--

LIGA NOS
dec.png

1603801450824.png

Nicolas Gaitan
2010-16
Midfielder
253 apps, 41 goals

Signed from Boca Juniors for £6.5m, attacking midfielder Gaitan had the best spell of his career to date with Benfica. He collected 3 league titles, 1 Purtugese Cup and 5 Portuguese League cups as well as finishing as a runner-up in the UEFA Cup twice! He was sold to Atletico Madrid for £22m and currently plays for SC Braga. For Argentina he has 16 caps and 2 goals.

--

JANUARY

portimonense.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Strijbosch), Ramirez, Luis, Camara*, Tsygankov (Quintas), Felix, Fati, Mbappe

A 4-1 win means its now 14 goals in 3 league games for us. Ronaldo Camara has now scored in his last 4 league games while Quintas came off the bench to get a double.

--

Taca de Portugal Quarter-Final
famalicao.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez (Ramirez), Luis, Camara, Antony, Felix (Almada), Fati (Quintas*), Mbappe

Into the semis we go. Goncalo Quintas came on early on when Fati went off injured and he managed to score twice. Mbappe added a late 3rd plus Sebahattin Sahinoglu had an effort disallowed.

--

Allianz Cup Semi-Final
braga.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba*, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Joao Paulo, Camara, Antony (Quintas), Salgado (Almada), Lasso (Felix), Mbappe

We were terrible here and were so lucky to get through on penalties. Mbappe missed one as did Quintas but they missed 3 pens and Joao Paulo tucked away the winning penalty. My recent signing Norberto Salgado made his debut - mainly because I needed two U21 players.

--

Allianz Cup Final
sporting.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Joao Paulo*, Camara (Budinauckas), Antony, Salgado (Lasso), Felix, Mbappe

What a way to win a cup final!!!!! Going into the match I had 2 players who have been pretty terrible - Felix and Antony - but they both showed up here. Felix got a brace and Antony one while Mbappe wrapped things up!

--

boavista.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Antony, Felix (Salgado), Lasso* (Quintas), Mbappe

We continue our strong league form with another decent victory. 3 goals, 1 disallowed from Mbappe and an overall good performance.

--

rio ave.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez (Ramirez), Luis, Camara, Antony, Felix (Salgado), Lasso, Mbappe*

Rio Ave are doing quite well this season but we managed to beat them here thanks to 2 Kylian Mbappe goals.

--

SUMMARY

January saw us collect yet another trophy as we claimed the Allianz Cup. We scraped past Braga on penalties in the semis after a 0-0 draw but then in the final we thumped Sporting Lisbon 4-1 which really puts down a marker for the rest of the season.

We also extended our lead in the Liga NOS to 4pts as Sporting drew a match so we really have the upper hand now and all we have to do is keep it going.

Regarding transfers I signed a few regens and one shocked me. Norberto Salgado was brought in for Rio Ave for £3.4m to go into my B team and maybe help the first team but his value rocketed up to £17.75m so I felt I had to keep him with the first team, at least until the end of the season anyway. He came in handy anyway as he was one of two U21 players required for the Allianz Cup and he started in both the semi and the final.
salgado.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
GONCALO QUINTAS
QUINTAS.png

--

LIGA NOS
jan.png

1604233183802.png

Jacinto Marques
1943-57
Defender
251 apps, 0 goals

Marques spent his entire career with Benfica although he was only used sparingly in some seasons and actually missed the 1954 season due to injury. Nevertheless he won 4 league titles and 4 Portuguese Cups.

--

FEBRUARY

Taca de Portugal Semi-Final 1st Leg
pdf.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu (Strijbosch), Lopez (Ramirez), Luis, Camara*, Antony, Felix (Almada), Lasso, Mbappe

A win for sure and a slight advantage for the 2nd leg but I would have liked to have had a bigger winning margin.

--

tondela.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis (Joao Paulo), Camara, Antony (Quintas), Felix, Lasso*, Mbappe

Tondela have been the surprise package of the league season and currently lie in 3rd place but we managed to beat them here thanks to goals from Camara and Antony plus 2 assists from Hugo Lasso.

--

Taca de Portugal Semi-Final 2nd Leg
pacos.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Camara*, Antony, Felix, Lasso (Fati), Mbappe

We were dominant here for the first 75min and had a 2 goal lead but for the final 15min we got battered and Pacos de Ferreira were unlucky not to at least draw the match as they pulled a goal back and missed several clear cut chances.

--

santa.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Camara, Antony (Quintas), Felix*, Lasso (Fati), Mbappe

The scoreline says that this was a comfortable victory but the scoreline lies. We were terrible and had to rely on 2 penalties from Felix and a set piece goal to win the match. We really do need to step things up!

--

vitoria.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis, Camara*, Antony (Quintas), Felix, Lasso (Fati), Mbappe

Joao Felix converted yet another penalty here - 8 of his 13 goals this season have come from the spot. Camara rifled in a shot from 20 yards to seal things. Vitoria Guimaraes sacked their manager immediately after this match.

--

2-1.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias (Strijbosch), Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis*, Camara, Antony (Quintas), Almada, Lasso (Fati), Mbappe

Famalicao were so close to doing the double over us here but we managed to get 2 late goals to ****** the victory. My own player, Imbesi, who scored a double against us earlier in the season assisted their goal here.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
spurs.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias*, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez (Ramirez), Luis, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe

A fantastic result and performance. We scored 3 great goals - Dias with an angled finish, Fati with a superb individual effort and Mbappe rounded off a a fine team move to get the 3rd and secure the victory and also get his 30th goal of the season.

--

leixoes.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis, Budinauckas, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Salgado), Fati*, Quintas

We were rocked the day before this match with news that Mbappe got injured in training and is out for 6-7 weeks - now is the time for Goncalo Quintas to shine in a Benfica shirt. In the end he did OK and assisted a goal but yet again I expect us to win by a wider margin.

--

SUMMARY

Normally reviewing a month where we have won every match I would be bouncing and saying we were excellent but that is not the case here as we are just doing enough to win the games and thats it. We have certainly dropped off from last season and with the addition of Ansu Fati that is a major fault but he isnt really to blame as the likes of Joao Felix and especially Antony have been terrible this season.

Its not all doom and gloom though as as I said we won all our matches and we got an excellent 3-1 away win over Spurs in the Champions League, we reached the Taca de Portugal final and we have a 4pt lead at the top of the table.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

RONALDO CAMARA
camara.png

--

LIGA NOS
FEB.png

1604250261021.png

Rui Aguas
1985-88 & 1990-94
Forward
237 apps, 104 goals

Signed from Portimonense, Aguas had 2 spells at Benfica with a stint at FC Porto in between. He was part of the side that finished runners-up in the European Cup in 1988 and won 3 league titles and 3 Portuguese Cups in all while at the club. For Portugal he won 31 caps and scored 10 goals.

--

MARCH

maritimo.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis, Camara (Budinauckas), Antony, Felix (Salgado), Fati*, Quintas

Thats better - although going into half-time only 1-0 up with them having had a man sent-off after 22min wasnt great and a bit of a worry but I told my players to go very attacking and to push forward and 4 goals followed with Fati getting a double.

--

2-0.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Lopez), Fati*, Quintas (Lasso)

ANSU FATI - WE BOW TO YOU!!!!!

My Spanish winger was excellent here in a must not lose match. We edged the first half but there was no score and when Ramirez got sent-off we were in big trouble but I made a couple of subs and moved Fati up front and he immediately scored - but it was disallowed. However he wasnt to be denied as he netted twice and we get a huge win to move 7pts clear at the top.

Fati has scored a double in each of his last 3 league games now and this win secures our position in next seasons Champions League and I have been given an initial transfer budget of £50m.

--

porto.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Strijbosch, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis, Camara*, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Fati, Quintas (Lasso)

Another win over FC Porto and Neil Lennon. Ronaldo Camara struck early doors and that was enough for us to get the 3pts. By far and and away he has been my favourite player in this save!

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
1-2.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Strijbosch, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis, Budinauckas, Antony, Felix (Almada), Fati*, Quintas (Lasso)

ANSU FATI RESCUES US!!!!!!!

Thank god for my £140m Spanish winger. We were 2-0 down and going out on away goals when I moved Fati up front and he immediately scored but it was disallowed however with the last kick of the game he was put through and he finished it and we go through on away goals.

--

1-0.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez, Luis, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix*, Fati, Quintas (Lasso)

We scraped past Braga here. Antony was pathetic as usual and I am seriously considering moving him on in the summer. Quintas also disappointed tbh.

--

SUMMARY

March is over and so is the title race in truth as this month we managed to beat both Sporting Lisbon and FC Porto which means we end the month with a 9pt lead at the top. Our win over Sporting Lisbon was especially pleasing as we went down to 10 men before Ansu Fati scored 3 times although 1 was disallowed,

In the Champions League our 3 year hold on the tournament was almost over as Spurs were 2-0 up and about to knock us out on away goals but Fati struck in the 94th minute to send us through and a tie against Liverpool awaits!!!!!

As for the youth intake it was average. I got a decent looking RB and an English CM who may progress but no Aitor Herrera's!!!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ANSU FATI
FATI.png

--

LIGA NOS

march.png

--

1604263037921.png

PORTUGAL

UEFA European Championship Qualifiers Group C
luxem.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Ferro, Mendes, Luis, Mendes, B.Silva*, Felix, Guedes (Fernandes), Leao

A 5-1 win would normally have me buzzing but this was against Luxembourg and to concede a goal against this lot is quite embarrassing to be honest. This makes it 25 games unbeaten since 2025 which is not a bad run!

--

UEFA European Championship Qualifiers Group C
malta.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares (Arruda), Quaresma, Vinhas, Mendes, Baro, Camara*, Neto, Fernandes, Guedes, F.Silva

Ronaldo Camara has been more than decent for Portugal when played but he stepped up to the mark here with a wonderful hat-trick and also an assist. Arruda of FC Porto made his international debut.

1604307679815.png

Simao
2001-07
Forward
230 apps, 94 goals

Simao started his career with Sporting Lisbon before he moved to Barcelona and Benfica brought him in from there for £10m. He spent 6 years at Benfica however he only won 1 league title and 1 Portuguese Cup. He was sold to Atletico Madrid for £17m. For Portugal he was caped 85 times and scored 22 goals.

--

APRIL

peee.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Lopez (Ramirez), Luis, Camara*, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Fati, Quintas (Lasso)

Our 3rd successive 1-0 win in the league and the last 2 have been won by a Joao Felix penalty. We really are struggling in front of goal this season. Quintas has been given his chance and has flopped so far.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg
liverp.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Budinauckas, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe (Quintas)

Meh. We lose the first leg but at least we got the away goal as Kylian Mbappe returned to the side and netted for us but it was in vain as we lose 2-1. I am still fairly confident that we can get the job done in the 2nd leg though.

--

setubal.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Strijbosch, Ramirez (Lopez), Joao Paulo, Camara, Antony (Tsygankov*), Felix (Roige), Lasso, Quintas

We were heading for yet another 1-0 win until Victor Tsygankov popped up with 2 late goals. Lasso opened the scoring with a fine free-kick and he did have another goal disallowed.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
pool.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Budinauckas, Antony*, Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe (Quintas)

Ansu Fati's early goal was good enough for us here as we go through on away goals. Antony finally put in a good performance as he assisted the goal and he also claimed the MOM award.

--

ll.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Strijbosch, Reyes, Ramirez, Joao Paulo, Budinauckas*, Tsygankov, Felix (Salgado), Lasso, Mbappe (Quintas)

CHAMPIONS!!!!!

We were missing several players here but got the win anyway. Budinauckas fired us in front before Hugo Lasso scored with a free-kick near the end. That makes it 8 league titles for me now and I will get to play my backups in the final 3 games.

--

belenenses.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch, Reyes, Lopez, Joao Paulo*, Budinauckas (Pavlic), Antony (Salvador), Roige, Lasso, Quintas (Nielsen)

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 1st Leg
bayern.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis, Budinauckas, Antony, Felix, Fati*, Mbappe (Quintas)

Fantastic. We are all but through to the final after this terrific result. Ansu Fati scored a fantastic double while Jonny Budinauckas got a goal also and surely we cant throw away a 3 goal lead in the 2nd leg. We also missed several other chances and could have won by 6 or 7 in truth.

--

SUMMARY

We go into the final month of the season with the league title in our back pockets. We won all 4 league matches, keeping a clean sheet in all 4 games and we have now won our last 21 league matches which is pretty impressive and have kept 8 clean sheets in a row. We have 2 league matches remaining and that will give my backups a chance to play.

In the Champions League we knocked out Liverpool on away goals with after drawing 3-3 on aggregate and then in the first leg of our semi-final tie against Bayern Munich we thumped them 3-0 to all but book our place in the final.

Next month will end our season and hopefully we can pick up the Taca de Portugal and another Champions League!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JONNY BUDINAUCKAS
BUDINAUCKAS.png

--

LIGA NOS
april.png

1604326171719.png

Jaime Graca
1966-75
Midfielder
229 apps, 29 goals

Jaime Graca started his career with Vitoria Setubal before signing for Benfica where he was involved in a tragic accident. In 1966 the clubs new hydro massage bath short-circuited with several players inside including Graca. Graca, qualified as an electrician sorted the machine before going back in to save the other players but unfortunately 1 player had already died. Benfica played the rest of the season in black. He won 7 league titles and 3 Portuguese Cups while for Portugal he played 36 times and scored 4 goals.

--

MAY

aves.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch, Reyes, Lopez, Joao Paulo (Roige), Budinauckas, Antony, Almada (Salgado), Lasso*, Quintas

Another league win with another clean sheet. We move on.

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg
4-0.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez, Luis, Camara, Mbappe*, Felix, Fati (Lasso), Quintas

What a performance and what a result. With a 3-0 lead in the first leg we were never really in danger but for us to go to Munich and thrash Bayern is really impressive. I played Kylian Mbappe on the RW and he scored a wonderful hat-trick while Goncalo Quintas also popped up with a goal.

Real Madrid will be our opponents in the final.

--

port.png

Lineup - Cerqueira, Tavares, Strijbosch, Reyes, Lopez, Joao Paulo*, Budinauckas, Tsygankov, Almada (Roige), Lasso, Quintas

A pretty boring way to end the season but yet again it was a win and a clean sheet. Cesar Roige got his 1st league goal for us from the penalty spot while Lasso has scored in 4 of the last 5 league games.

--

Taca de Portugal Final
final.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba, Dias, Sebahattin Sahinoglu*, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Antony, Felix (Almada), Fati, Mbappe

We win the Taca de Portugal and with that we complete the domestic quadruaple. Kylian Mbappe got the only goal of the game with his 35th goal of the season and he had a 2nd goal disallowed but in the end that didnt matter.

--

UEFA Champions League Final
madrid.png

Lineup
- Cerqueira, Ongoiba (Tavares), Strijbosch, Sebahattin Sahinoglu, Ramirez (Lopez), Luis (Budinauckas), Camara, Antony (Tsygankov), Felix, Fati, Mbappe

WE WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOR THE 4TH TIME IN A ROW!!!!!

For 92min I thought we were cursed in this final. We were the better side and in the last 10min Kylian Mbappe had 2 goals disallowed so when extra-time kicked off and we immediately went a goal down I thought that we were screwed. However Ansu Fati quickly levelled and then Mbappe finally got one that counted and we managed to hold on for the win.

--

SUMMARY

I am a very happy manager!!!! The final games of the league season were seen out without a problem and then we went on to win the Taca de Portugal and the Champions League. Our league matches were both 2-0 victories thanks to my backup players and in the end we won the title by a handsome 14pts.

The Taca de Portugal was claimed thanks to a 1-0 win over FC Porto with Kylian Mbappe scoring the only goal of the game and it was he who scored the winning goal of the Champions League final as we came from behind in extra-time to beat Real Madrid 2-1. That secured our 4th Champions League title in a row and that is a magnificent achievement

I have an end of season review to come and I feel I have several big decisions to make............

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KYLIAN MBAPPE
MBAPPE.png