Vadermage

Reaction score
So I've been playing manager for around 8 or so years now, but I haven't really shared mine tactics with community, I have tried few of tactics but now its mine time to repay that debt.

Here we have a tactic set of 3. The name is Slix, it doesn't mean anything at all but when you randomly smash keyboard thats coolest name that can come.

View attachment 127324View attachment 127323View attachment 127322
So this is how they look, lets start from Slix1

SLIX1

View attachment 127321
So here we got 451 tactic, from all 3 I would consider this one as best one for teams that lack proper defense, the Halfback role really works its part so lets try and explain who does what:
GK- Stops shots and thats about it;

LB,RB- Here we have 2 marauding Wingbacks they will move high up the pitch cross ball provide with width and try to catch opposition defense of guard, key attributes would be pace, acceleration, anticipation, crossing, positioning, workrate, teamwork, decisions and off the ball, I would search for a player that has 13+ atleast in each of these attributes, perfect examples would be: Jetro Williems, Jose Gaya, Alaba, Kolarov(he doesn't fit in all but he does a good job), Bellerin, Carvajal, Cedric(imagine that he plays good), Bernat, you need a fast wingback who has a good set of mental skills, technical skills are a plus but they aren't mandatory.
Preffered PPMs: Runs down the left/right side, Hugs line, plays one-twos(optional) and if possible curls ball(tutoring only). Bad PPMs would be stays back and cuts inside;
CBs- a player of great importance if your other players aren't cut out for the job, here you should look for a consistent performer with great set of mental stats, key attributes would be: Anticipation, COncentration, Decisions, Positionin, Workrate, Teamwork, Tackling, Marking, Pace, Balance and Jumping Reach, It would be ideal to get all of these at 14-15+ but 13 would do the trick with 14+ in defending attributes(Positioning, Tackling, Marking). There are few players I can recommend for this role: De Vrij, Mustafi, Stones, Manolas, Vallejo(after 2-3 seasons), Romagnoli(same as Vallejo), Gimenez, Tah(if you can't afford anyone better), Kompany, Boateng... generally players with good mental set, there aren't any PPMs I would recommend;

HB- THE role, most important defensive role in the team goes here, he should have priority n same set of skills like CBs but in addition to that he should be fairly good in technical and passing game, I could recommend, Coqueli, Fernandinho, Busquets, Allan(from SSC Napli), Kramer and Lucas Romero and Ruben Neves after few seasons. Good PPMs would be to switch ball to other side and comes deep to get the ball, bad would be any PPM that encourages him to try and make a forward run.

APs- Here is the brainiac of the team a pass master who looks down for assist or a key pass while on other end chases opposing player like mad, a great set of mental skills + some great passing abillities add some technicalities and BOOM you got a grand prize, Key attributes would be: Anticipation, Off the ball, Decisions, Teamwork, Passing, Vision, Positioning(should be above 10 atleast but isn;t a must have), Balance or Agility and some Stamina and Workrate. Perfect examples would be Joao Mario, Wilshere, Ramsey, Koke, Fabregas, Ander Herrera, its a mid player with attacking mentality, but he isn't full lets go score a goal player, on contrary he is a mid player with great eye for the pass, so players like Iniesta, Oliver, Thiago could really struggle since they aren't top notch on defending side of the play.
Good PPMs would be dictates tempo, tryes trough balls and arrives in box lately, for a top notch team moves into channels would be good aswell since he would provide extra man in final third if needed.
Bad PPMs would be pass it short and shoots from distance.

CMs- this is a mid role that should actually have a name of once great mid monster Patrick Vieira, this is your B2B monster, he should have all attributes you would expect from a complete midfielder, some great examples are: Koke(again yeah), Ruben Neves(after few seasons), Vidal, Pogba(I personally don't like the fella), Marchisio(the GOD of this position), Cazorla, Modric(he fits both APs and CMs roles to the point) and for those who wanna try it on next level Jorginho(from SSC Napoli).

IF(both IFa and IFs) -the IFa is set there since we had Neymar on team and he was much better than the other winger, in truth both should be IFs, IFa leaves too much of a space to cover for Wingbacks and mid duo so IFs is better suited for this style of football, nothing much to tell about this role, a Winger with scoring capabilities, think someone like Sanchez, Neymar, Messi(hue hue) CR7, Callejon, Hazard(if used on AMR), Bernardo Silva(a real gem), Berradi, Zivkovic(after season or 2), James Rodriguez, Angel Di Maria. Good PPMs would be Cuts inside, Places Shots, plays one-twos and looks for trough balls for really good players like Neymar, Silva etc, Bad PPMs would e hugs line, shoots like mad, comes deep to get ball.

DLF- the final role of a fine striker, since I read everyone struggles with this role of DLF let me say it from start in these tactics you can change the Lone Striker Role to CF(S) or CF(A) to fit your bidding, you need an allrounder here. Great examples would be: Lewandowski,Lukaku, Morata, Benzema this players needs to have it all but there are some exceptions since some players, lets just say they have the magic, those are likes of Dybala, Giroud, Guidetti, Griezmann, Gameiro, Vietto, Mandzukic... THis is a sort of player who comes a bit deeper to provide a passing option and passes the ball to onrushing players, Ive seen him assist and make key passes that made mine head spin and wonder dude is this a real life or just a fantasy, he can make your day or he can make your game a nightmare, seems like this year FM likes to ruin you with strikers and their decisions. Good PPMs would be comes deep, plays one-twos, holds the ball(for strong type of ST), Places shots, Moves into channels(if both him and APs have it, but he can do wonders even if APs doesn't have it), Bad PPMs would be tryes to beat offside trap, runs wide on any side, shoots like mad or arrives late into opposition area.

SLIX2
View attachment 127315

So this is SLIX2 a 4231 tactic, the roles of Defending line and Striker line are the same as in SLIX1 so the only remaining roles would be AMC and 2 mids so lets get started.

So from 1 HB 2 CMs we are now making 2 CMs and one AMC, there are some great articles on mid companionships online and after reading bunch of them, watching FM games till mine eyes bled, and loosing mine nerves for 8 years I can tell its easy to switch mid trios if you got some theory how they work.

BWMs
- now this is an interesting role, he was supposed to be a static anchor man like player but I kinda decided I wanna see some passing from him so he doesn't feel like he is the only idiot on team, so this is a highly mental position, if you would search for players in this role I would suggest same ones I suggested on HB role, you can even try with some players that lacks defensively but can make it up with excellent mentality and some average-good passing, Kramer, Renato Sanchez, Ajer, Coquelin, Busquets, these are types of players you would need here, a player who knows the art of defense, but he knows the art of:"oh look an onrushing Winger is making a run, I can pass it to him and open up whole f***g side" taht type of badass ****, thats the fella you want, imagine if Samuel L. Jackson played football, this would be him, first he comes and cuts every hope they had on a trough ball then he gives them the same type of the trough ball and laughs in their freaking face that type of a guy.

RPMs - I always liked this role and always imagined this as a Paul Scholes role and this is pretty much it, a player who is a real life static electricity and runs around asking for a ball so he can deploy some crazy a** trough ball and find Tom Cruise on deserted Island with it, so its great set of mental skills and passing arsenal that you need here.

AMa - this is something like De Bruyne, Ozil, James role, a bit of each one of them, a highly attacking player who knows where to drift off, where to appear, something like Shadow Striker(not the role but true meaning of the words Shadow and Striker) Juan Manuel Mata did something like this in Chelsea before his row with Mu Mu, good passing good finishing/composure, good technicality, for me personally James Rodriguez is palying like a monster in here. he should look to pass trough balls, place shots, and play one-twos, moving into channels isn't half bad either.

SLIX 3
View attachment 127314
So here we have a mid trio of 2 RPMs and a BWMs alongside with them the WBs are higher now, what could this mean?

so the roles are all already explained for this one, first few from SLIX1 and BWMs and RPMs from SLIX2, so now we can see what are differences between these 3 tactics.

SLIX1 focuses on possession with a tad bit more defensive manifest, it will get you goals, but it will keep you safe from them over the top balls, attacking wise the players here try to get as close to 16m box as possible, to push all of them into that tiny space and try to find a trough ball which splits them open or move ball to flank and cross it in and score, thats how it works in few words, to explain it completely I think I would bore all of you who might read this(I HOPE SOMEONE READS IT GODDAMIT) to death if I already haven't.

SLIX2 its a standard formation in which we see Arsenal, RM, Chelsea teams like that, but this offers high possesion, some slick movement and some overlaping, not just from WBs, but from midfielders aswell, the whole point of this is that striker and AMC try to make a mess out of theirs defensive positioning as they sit in channels, then as they control them 2, here come the IFs, so they make even greater mess, they now have to pull back mid to cover your 4 players which are all a potential threat, then comes RPM who is on the edge of their close down zone and looks for a pass which will give you a goal, and they all focus on these 6 players in the middle, sometimes the ball will go trough sometimes it wont, but what about WBs? now comes the WB who is running down the side completely free, so they ned to close him down, they go after him, but then one of your 4 man attacking quartet gets unmarked, so the WB run makes the mess of already messed up defense and you score. Explained in short words

SLIX3 Now this is something, you got 3 players who are upfront and who need amrking, but you got 2 RPMs who are runing around them in circles and making a mess of oposing defence, as that aint enough you ot 2 WBs who ae higher up and run in to support much faster, so the moment one of them is out of his position, the whole **** breaks loose, I've seen teams like Chelsea, RM, Barca, all of top tier teams in suh a struggle to close down all of the players that it was like Hamsters in them rolling glass balls trying to get to cheese, all but possible.

The thing that binds all of these tactics is the numbers upfront, you see the whole idea of these tactics is to overpower any team, just throw all you got at them and watch them slowly suffocate, if they get the ball just track that prey back, take the ball and rinse and repeat, its about closing down opposition as fast as possible, and cutting off their counter tries as soon as possible.

You need a bit of time for a team to get used to these tactics, thats why I give them in set of 3 and if you got specific players you can easily switch between these 3 during the game, I can promise a lot of attacking football with some ridiculosly high possession stats, I might say you will even enjoy it till FM17 arrives.

I would like to honor the fella who created the Corner set pieces, dude I don't know who you are or when you made these, but thanks for the hard work. Free kicks and Corner kicks should be taken by best taker, there aren't any OIs , training is Team Cohesion match fitness in pre seasson on high or very high, and Balanced with Att/def movement during season(depends on your team strength).

Tactic Download:

View attachment 127312 Slix 3

View attachment 127311 Slix 2

View attachment 127310 Slix 1

In the end, sorry for mine lousy English and for mine overly huge opening post.
For all of you who might try it, feel free to criticize and post results, best of luck :D

EDIT: Updated version of SLIX1, both MCs are RPM now and left IF is on support role, more defensive stability, download in link bellow:

View attachment 125983

Last edited:
It would be better maybe if you upload some result screenshots.

Nice OP, i enjoyed reading it :)

Will try tactic when i got time

Samo najbolje samo da valja :D Javi kako ide :)

Instructions and training to use?

It's writen in OP but Ill repeat, no OI's, as for training:
PRESEASON Team Cohesion Hih or Very High, Match Tactics all the way to the left on slider, and try to play around 7-10 friendlyes
DURING SEASON After Squad Harmony is above 85% Balanced on High, Att movement in general but if you are weaker side use Def. Positioning vs Strong side and tough away games(Rivarly clashes away from home are always tough even for top tier teams) and set slider to middle

Last edited:
Question

Samo najbolje samo da valja :D Javi kako ide :)

It's writen in OP but Ill repeat, no OI's, as for training:
PRESEASON Team Cohesion Hih or Very High, Match Tactics all the way to the left on slider, and try to play around 7-10 friendlyes
DURING SEASON After Squad Harmony is above 85% Balanced on High, Att movement in general but if you are weaker side use Def. Positioning vs Strong side and tough away games(Rivarly clashes away from home are always tough even for top tier teams) and set slider to middle

You could put images

I really like these tactics and will try.
Vadermage, which one is the more defensive, 1 or 3?

first match using real madrid

View attachment 1078712

Can you share match stats screen please? Since you scored 7, but Kameni has 8.3 rating makes me wonder how many shots did he save when he got that high rating with 7 goals past him xD
I really like these tactics and will try.

Vadermage, which one is the more defensive, 1 or 3?

Well tbh all of them should have steady defense, but SLIX1 should have best out of 3 since it has HB role to be even mor defensive than the other 2, with the right player that difference is minimal