• Replies Replies 100
  • Views Views 7K

Would you were a Snood

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calum

Reaction score
_50216121_nasri_afp.jpg

Whats your view on the latest craze in football... The Snood which players such as Tevez, Chamakh and Nasri have started to wear to keep the neck warm.

From BBC News Page
The strangest sight sparked by the freezing temperatures was evident at Premier League football matches, where players were sporting some new, natty neck-warmers.
Although still in their infancy in the English game, they have long been a feature in the leagues of Spain and Italy, especially among goalkeepers, and Brazilian full-back Daniel Alves sported one at last year's Confederations Cup in South Africa.
Then in January of this year, Manchester City players Martin Petrov and Carlos Tevez became early adopters for the Premier League when they braved the cold against Blackburn in January. But in the last couple of weeks their use has proliferated, with Arsenal's duo Samir Nasri and Marouane Chamakh among those joining in.
It isn't a craze that has been welcomed by fans, journalists and former players. England cricketer Graeme Swann broke off from Ashes duty in Australia to comment on Twitter: "I wonder what Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris would've made of the snood being adorned by some prem footballers? Broken leg time!".

Neck-warmers are simply an indulgence that say much about the modern game, says Tony Cascarino, who was known as an uncompromising centre-forward with teams like Millwall, Marseilles and the Republic of Ireland, during a career in which he can't recall ever thinking that his neck felt particularly cold.
"It's like a fashion accessory and personally, I think it's typical of the modern footballer. I don't want to seem like a dinosaur but I think the modern game is full of players who are of the 'softer option' when it comes to playing football. I would see it as a weakness, slightly, that they're not a real man."

The reason why we're seeing it now, he says, is that the dressing room has changed into a much more indulgent environment.
"It's not frowned upon now, but 20 or 30 years ago a player would not have got away with it. He would have been buried [with abuse]."
Given the view many fans have about the appetite of high-earning players, they may respond to the irony that the word "snood" originally applied to the hairnet worn by single women in the Middle Ages.
But other fans are more pragmatic and don't have a problem with players doing everything to keep warm.
So what difference does a snood make to a player? Professor Ronald Maugham, of the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences at Loughborough University, can't see a practical benefit.
"This does not seem like the best strategy for staying warm," he says. "A hat and gloves would be more effective, if perhaps less fashionable."

The snoods of fashion tend to be a lot thicker and can be pulled over the head
More heat escapes through the hands and the head, he adds, because there is a large surface area and low insulation.
Gloves are now commonplace, but when John Barnes became one of the first to wear them in the late 1980s, there were a lot of sniggers. Since then, footballers have been able to develop their winter wardrobes to include tights, which were also spotted occasionally in the 1970s.

For some players, especially the talented French ones, there's been a need to express their individuality sartorially, within the strict regulations governing dress. Eric Cantona popularised the lifted collar, while Thierry Henry pulled his socks up over his knees.
But there is a suspicion that the recent trend for snoods has more to do with fashion trends than insulation.
"Gloves have long been de rigeur to prevent the poor lambs freezing their mitts off, but the snood has quickly become this season's must-have garment to beat the winter blues," says Men's Health style director Dan Rookwood.

"And, as with their wages, footballers are right on the money with this one, because the snood is very 'on trend' this winter. You could argue that it is a classic item of English clothing - the very word 'snood' originated in Anglo-Saxon times.
"A combination of hood and scarf, it's a two-in-one extremity protector that doesn't impede movement and covers up any hickies the players may pick up at their Christmas parties."

I personally like them and would wear one myself if i played football and was cold.

Last edited:
If it's going to keep you warm then, yes.

And they look pretty cool :)

I call it a neckwarmer, and I wear one, so of course I like them :)

I think they are ridiculous ! When I played football in the winter, your neck got cold. Tough ****.

The only "accessory" I would wear is one of those undershirt things !

I detest them, Chamakh looks a idle git in them XD

Just grow up footballers, it's only cold

never worn a snood, always wore a Helly though

funny how the 3 players who were them Chamakh Nasri and Tevez are having a great season

I cant stand them wearing gloves let alone a snood. Think they pretty much tell us about today's footballers. Wimps!! Couldnt see Norman Hunter wearing one

It's more about preference. Would you rather be warm or cold? I like being warm therefore, wear things to keep me warm.

ive worn them while skiing and they really help :D

I'm of the opinion that, if you're too cold whilst playing football - you're not working hard enough.

Only person who has a valid reason to wear one of these is a goalkeeper.

Yeah i would rarther wear a long sleeved shirt with gloves and a snood rather than wear a short sleeved one and be freezing

Don't like them.

Personally, I wouldn't wear anything called a 'snood'.

It's more about preference. Would you rather be warm or cold? I like being warm therefore, wear things to keep me warm.

Fair point. However if your running around playing football, your surely bound to get warm ?

Fair point. However if your running around playing football, your surely bound to get warm ?

The neck and the hands are those areas that don't warm up or become numb off the cold though, more so the neck being cold and the hands becoming numb. Obviously your body warms up.

I know when I am playing I work very hard, especially when playing right-back as I run up and down the pitch all game as I am quite attacking however after a game, if I haven't worn gloves my hands are freezing and normally very numb. I don't wear a neckwarmer all the time but now and then when it is freezing they definitely help. What a debate this is.. XD

What a bunch of wimps these players are getting. They need to man up. OOOH it's cold and I need to keep warm. Pathetic

I think the farce over these sums up a lot about the English game at the moment. Who cares if people wear gloves, snoods, tights, long sleeves, under-armour, etc.. If it keeps the player warm and more importantly comfortable they're more likely to be able to focus on the actual match instead of worrying about the temperature.

Personally when I play 5-a-side I wear an undershirt, gloves, and a thin jacket. I'll play without them if I have to, but why sacrifice comfort when you don't need to?

Back