So many people have created their own tactics but I noticed there is no customization

lim_jin_sheng

Reaction score
as to whether you are playing with home support or away. Or you are playing against a strong opponent or weak opponent. or whether you are leading or need an equaliser near the end of the match.

I noticed that most threads are like "Hey this is a good tactic, go download and try my tactic."

I noticed that the AI is smarter than us, or rather the game designers are smart. These are my following observations:

1) When you are a strong team, the AI play very defensively, especially when they are playing at your home ground. The AI thus sometimes gets a draw or may even win as a result. Do you all do what the AI does? Or do you still go all out attack in Nou Camp against Barcelona (which makes no sense in reality)?

2) When they are stronger than you, they play more attacking football, especially when they are playing at home. Do you all do that?

3) When they are losing, they tweak their formation to become very attacking minded. I have seen the AI playing with 4-4-2 and with a goal down and 10 minutes to go, they play 4-2-4. When they are winning too and want to preserve their lead, they change their formation to be 5-4-1 or 4-5-1. Do you all do that? Or same formation throughout the match.That will be really different from what is happening in reality.

Its not that I am shooting down the people who are uploading their tactics. I am sure they are good, but to someone who is still mastering in tweaking tactics, it will be good if they could explain the various scenerios that will happen if I use your tactic? What to do if I am a goal down? What to do if the other team is much stronger? What to do if I am down to 10 men?

So far I have only noticed some people who bother to do that like the ghost tactic.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f103...gh-possession-let-weak-teams-play-t54136.html

Though I have not tried the tactic yet, I am very impressed with the way he presents his tactics, as he has different versions of the tactic for different occasions. For this I respect and I hope I can see more of such analysis on the tactics uploaded.

If the AI can customise its tactics to counter us, we should also do the same and counter them as well!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Good post. I never really thought about this much, but now it makes so much sense why I give away so many leads..

I think Jose Mourinho, in real-life does this well. When he sees the opposite team make a substitution, whether they try to strengthen the team with fresh players or try and take the game to his team, he will always bring on someone or change the tactic around to counter it. Or even just put out a team that is there to do a job, rather than win.

A lot of players just have their tactic there and make subs, rather than read the game and try to either strengthen their lead, or preserve it. They would only read the game if they are losing. My only fear is that, if I were to just score a goal, and I quickly change tactics to close the game out, I concede and that would have just been a wasted effort.

If I'm winning or losing, I always stick to the formation I'm using, stick with the same mentallity, and only bring subs when i have to. like having a major lead, or just tiredness. Even if I have a good lead, I just don't touch anything. Did that before in a Cup final and blew a two goal lead. Since then, I've just left things as they are, and the success rate went up.

Good post. I never really thought about this much, but now it makes so much sense why I give away so many leads..

yes, this thread is also for some of the newcomers to Football Manager and just starting out... if they are using a relegation team and download someone's barcelona attacking tactics and then lose, they may feel that that this tactic is useless, when in fact he should be using a more defensive one. 8-|

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

I think Jose Mourinho, in real-life does this well. When he sees the opposite team make a substitution, whether they try to strengthen the team with fresh players or try and take the game to his team, he will always bring on someone or change the tactic around to counter it. Or even just put out a team that is there to do a job, rather than win.

A lot of players just have their tactic there and make subs, rather than read the game and try to either strengthen their lead, or preserve it. They would only read the game if they are losing. My only fear is that, if I were to just score a goal, and I quickly change tactics to close the game out, I concede and that would have just been a wasted effort.

well, if the AI is a goal down, he's going to change to 4-2-4 with 10 min to go if they are just a goal down. You have your concern that if you change your tactics, you may concede, well I have my concern that if I don't change to a defensive formation, I may concede too with his 4 strikers (they did equalise in some of those games against me).

Since then if I am a goal up, I pull the bar all the way to super time wasting and very defensively. I won't score any goal but my chances of conceding also decreases. And also, that is what happens in reality too when the leading team is nearing the final whistle.

Yes, I am a great admirer of Mourinho too. :D

If I'm winning or losing, I always stick to the formation I'm using, stick with the same mentallity, and only bring subs when i have to. like having a major lead, or just tiredness. Even if I have a good lead, I just don't touch anything. Did that before in a Cup final and blew a two goal lead. Since then, I've just left things as they are, and the success rate went up.

That's exactly what I mean. The fear of changing anything is what overrides people's intentions to win. The fear of switching to another tactic, regardless if it's the same formation or not, is what has people scared that they may lose a two-three goal lead and blame it all upon it.

If this could be worked on, then it would allow more customisation in tactics - especially in matches.

Yes i understand what you mean.

Since then, I will only change my formation to abit more defensive only after a 3 goal lead. All out attacking wastes alot of stamina, so I need to relax the players. But when I concede and the lead is now only 2 goals, I go back to the original formation.

Actually. I think that the majority of the users actually use the Shouts and change strategy when needing to do so and as those users prefer to use their own tactics, they see no reason to upload theirs as they assume that people playing this way wont be interested in downloading them anyway.

Personally, I play like this...http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f103/the-better-half-my-442-t59838.html

Actually. I think that the majority of the users actually use the Shouts and change strategy when needing to do so and as those users prefer to use their own tactics, they see no reason to upload theirs as they assume that people playing this way wont be interested in downloading them anyway.

Personally, I play like this...http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f103/the-better-half-my-442-t59838.html
Well said, I play with the Team instructions tactic, but have 3 different formations, and I use the tactical shouts to mould my team during games as and when needed, allow me to actually play with a lots of different approaches

I make tactics and tweak my play as I see fit, similar to the ways mentioned in the OP, it's the only way to really play the game imo, no point downloading a pre-made tactic and just winning without doing anything for yourself. One thing I do find weird though is that I tend to do better if I try to take on bigger teams, instead of going more defensive which usually leads to them walking all over me.

There is one problem here; you can use a pre-made tactic and win everything just by picking the squad and pressing continue...That's very disappointing imo, the game shouldn't be like that...The game should force you to constantly change strategies, use various shouts etc.

There shouldn't be plug-and-play tactics in FM, you should be obliged to pay attention to match stats and react accordingly.

I play the game using my own tactics and using shouts or team instruction changes when needed, but it feels very disheartening to know there are tactics I can download and just win-win-win with any time I like.

Well actually, while the game doesnt FORCE you to use shouts and such, you can still use shouts and tactical change to get the most of your team.

There is one problem here; you can use a pre-made tactic and win everything just by picking the squad and pressing continue...That's very disappointing imo, the game shouldn't be like that...The game should force you to constantly change strategies, use various shouts etc.

There shouldn't be plug-and-play tactics in FM, you should be obliged to pay attention to match stats and react accordingly.

I play the game using my own tactics and using shouts or team instruction changes when needed, but it feels very disheartening to know there are tactics I can download and just win-win-win with any time I like.

Sorry but i have to disagree with you. The essence of cm was the simplicity, not like today that we have to study a lot to play fm.

Sorry but i have to disagree with you. The essence of cm was the simplicity, not like today that we have to study a lot to play fm.
then go back and play old CMs then because the aim of FM is to get as close to real life football as possible, and football isnt as simple as diablo tactic. If that is what you want, you should be playing Fifa manager instead

In my tactic thread, I've shared some of the instructions I change on my tactic on certain, common scenario's, which many other tactics do too.

Great post! I take many of the things you said in consideration when playing. Do tactics tweeks or some subs many times in order to maintain the control of the game when winning. I.e. tend to put a ball winning cm or another dmf i my opp just throws at me 4 strikers.

I was generally under the opinion that even when downloading tactics players still tweak player instructions as they see fit?

For instance i start with the same formation every game because its generally equipped to deal against most problems, but i will tweak team tempo, width and def line as i see fit, ill also tweak players slightly if i feel they can get more out of their game by, tweaking forward runs, marking etc however if you tell people of all these tweaks they mostly find it too much hard work!

I had originally set up a home and away tactic but i found in the end taking it to the opposition in nearly all cases you'll get better results. My favourite thing is playing an attacking formation with the opposition deciding to attack the game more - with counter attacks you can tear them up providing you have your formation setup to win the ball back in the right places

is there a thread that dedicates to tactics customization? I would be most interested to read abt it.

Shouts are just a portion of the customization. If you play 4-5-1 and a goal down with 10 min to go and you shout for them to go all out attack, the impact will not be as great as when you change your tactic to 4-2-4 to add 3 more strikers (of course they must be accustomed to the 4-2-4 tactic training before).

I suspect the true masters which customize their tactics do not post in the forum, because to write them all down is actually quite long and complicated.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Well said, I play with the Team instructions tactic, but have 3 different formations, and I use the tactical shouts to mould my team during games as and when needed, allow me to actually play with a lots of different approaches

care to share more as to what these 3 formations are?

for me, I have been playing the same formation but different mentality depending on the opposition. I have however been comtempling whether I should have a different formation if I am a goal down in the final 20 min. I saw the AI change to 4-2-4 if they are a goal down and I feel like having one very attacking tactic for that as well.

The essence of fm was never the simplicity. I remember doing off the ball tactics, on the ball tactics etc.

"Super Tactics" are... not my way of playing, I won't begrudge those who use them in their own games, but I think if you're doing a challenge or playing online against friends, using a "Super Tactic" is pretty much cheating IMO.

I agree as well but I'm confused there are some very plug n play tactic such as woody high scoring = no OI at all, no shouts, no tweaking whether you are playing against a better team, home or away, leading ,etc but many ppl finished a season and won everything with itoO) . Using customization is more fun for me