Southampton FC, a tactical exercise on FM15

Really enjoying this thread mate keep it going.
One question though, what are your team instructions?

My fears were confirmed. 5-0 loss to Chelsea. Three long shots, so not even as if I can blame the tactics. But still, very disappointed. Will look into a 5-at-the-back formation soon

My fears were confirmed. 5-0 loss to Chelsea. Three long shots, so not even as if I can blame the tactics. But still, very disappointed. Will look into a 5-at-the-back formation soon
I've been playing my own Southampton game (which is why I was eager to see you continue yours :D). Here I am so far.

View attachment 331290

Very well done. I have dropped points in silly games and been unlucky with injuries but I'm happy yours is going great! Who did you sign?
Zero transfers. The game began as a quick look at the new edition of Football Manager and I carried on playing. I had Clyne try to leave (like you did) but I managed to talk him around. I've also just had Wanyama cause a disturbance by asking for permission to talk to Benfica but he isn't going anywhere either.

Just beat United.

View attachment 331287

EDIT: Ugh! What the **** kind of scheduling is this?

View attachment 331285

Last edited:
Zero transfers. The game began as a quick look at the new edition of Football Manager and I carried on playing. I had Clyne try to leave (like you did) but I managed to talk him around. I've also just had Wanyama cause a disturbance by asking for permission to talk to Benfica but he isn't going anywhere either.

Just beat United.

View attachment 700332

EDIT: Ugh! What the **** kind of scheduling is this?

View attachment 700338

I think they should add a feature where fixtures can be appealed. I find it so silly that you play two games in three days followed by none for a week

Nearly at the January transfer window. Still going strong, although slip ups in annoying games are preventing us from being in the top 4
View attachment 331274View attachment 331273

Almost every single result, apart from Chelsea, was one that I was the better team in. Some of the big games, such as Spurs, had the opposition having more possession and shots, but without many shots on target. Here is what I did in the tottenham game
View attachment 331272View attachment 331271

The Chelsea match made me have a long hard think about a tactic to use against a 4-2-3-1 formation. Tottenham had previously only conceded three goals throughout the season, so I was not going to look to attack. Instead, I would be defensive, and hope to exploit the weakness in the formation - the gap between the defense and the midfield. My two wingbacks and defensive mid man marked their attacking three and the two centre mids were always close to Tottenham's, so they struggled to attack. The key was my attacking midfielder and striker. If their defence pushed up, I would have a pacy Shane Long running in behind their defence. If they dropped off, I would have tons of space to run in to, and create chances/take long shots. The game ended up as a scrappy one-nil that I couldn't be more happy with.

Later on came Manchester city.
View attachment 331269

They always play a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 and would try to attack me, so I decided to counter attack. I also wanted to nullify the threat of Aguero and did so by dropping deeper. This made their fullbacks push higher up the pitch, allowing my counter attacks to be more dangerous. The team report even told me that assists came from the right wing.
View attachment 331270

The plan worked a treat and I ran out with a 2-0 win to a very strong city side. I didn't even have my first team on, and Wanyama had bad morale because he was pushing for a move to benfica. I have realised that if I sign a striker I could really push for glory next season.

Now to the January transfer window. I am strongly considering selling both Schneiderlin and Wanyama, especially the latter, as they aren't even performing that well and are never in good moods. 35 million pounds would also be a huge boosts to my transfers and I would probably be able to find replacements quickly, whilst strengthening in other areas too

Just had a look through this thread, really enjoyed it - will be keeping up with it!

I like the fact that you dont seem to have massive scorelines in the BETA? unlike everybody else!

Pelle hasnt scored for you but i would think thats because you have him coming deep holding up the ball and getting in long/maine into the goal scoring positions!

The standard skin this year is SO good compared to years gone by, the little badges are a nice touch to even tho i have my logos loaded now!

My one critique of 15 is that the tactics screen where you pick your team is annoying that you cant just click on a player and they fill the next position or that on the little pitch theres nothing to show you what role they are in or you can change it on that as opposed to the list on the left.

Just had a look through this thread, really enjoyed it - will be keeping up with it!

I like the fact that you dont seem to have massive scorelines in the BETA? unlike everybody else!

Pelle hasnt scored for you but i would think thats because you have him coming deep holding up the ball and getting in long/maine into the goal scoring positions!

The standard skin this year is SO good compared to years gone by, the little badges are a nice touch to even tho i have my logos loaded now!

My one critique of 15 is that the tactics screen where you pick your team is annoying that you cant just click on a player and they fill the next position or that on the little pitch theres nothing to show you what role they are in or you can change it on that as opposed to the list on the left.
Loved this post, agree with everything you said. The major point in this is that there's no wonder tactic, but each team has a weakness which can be exploited. The tactics you see shared on the forum tend to be good because they exploit a wide variety of formations

Pelle is fairly annoying - he hasn't assisted much either! 3 goals and 3 assists is poor. Jay Rodriguez is back from his horrible injury and will have his first start since May though!

Send a link to your logo download please?

Yeah I miss the ability to right click on a player to put him on the team sheet. They should bring it back because dragging and dropping is annoying

Just had a match against Manchester united. They played a 4-3-1-2. Very attacking formation, but has two major weaknesses - width and gap between defence and midfield. One thing that surprised me was the fact that they had the best passing stats in the league.
View attachment 331158

I wasn't very optimistic about this - I had a feeling it could end up like Chelsea due to the attacking talent. It certainly did not.
View attachment 331157
I don't know which I was happiest with - the possession, the goals scored or the clean sheet. A very efficient performance from tired players - many of them played in a 3-2 win two days earlier (in which I came back in the last 12 mins). The big games are going very well but we always seem to miss many chances against easy opposition. A striker is a must, and since I am expecting a relatively large transfer budget in summer, in addition to the sales of Osvaldo, Ramirez and possibly Scheiderlin and Wanyama, I would have a huge budget and many players of high quality joining the team!

Transfer update: Savitsky has come in on a free. The board have allowed me to change my season expectations and have given me a whopping 26 million pounds! Now I have to make the Europa league by finishing seventh or higher if the FA and capital one cup winners finish higher, or by winning the FA/Capital one cup. I now have 26 million to spend on a striker so which one should I go for? I would like a deep lying forward who is still quite pacy and good in the air - an all round striker

Another update: Osvaldo had a 13 million release clause triggered by inter Milan, in light of Porto's interest, Schneiderlin has asked to leave. I gave in to his demands because now would be a horrible time to have bad team morale. I have also accepted a 13.75 million bid from Juve for Wanyama. Assuming Schneiderlin goes for 15 million, if I add the transfer fees together and multiply by 0.9 (due to 90% transfer revenue), I end up with 37.575 million, which, in addition to my 26 million, gives me 63.5 million to spend on three positions! Schneiderlin will be replaced by Romero so I will have around 53-54 million to spend on a deep lying forward and a ball winning midfielder with decent passing. This is looking very promising indeed

What tactic/tactics have you been using?

Changed on a game to game basis. One of the main points of this thread is to show that there's no wonder tactic and every tactic can be exploited in one way or another

This maybe a dum question but hey (new to FM). When you change your tactic for a certain team, is it just the formation you are changing or are you changing team instructions as well?

Heyy, firstly great thread :) have found it really helpful with my newcastle save. Secondly was wondering if you could divulge what player instruction you use. many thanks and keep up the good work

This maybe a dum question but hey (new to FM). When you change your tactic for a certain team, is it just the formation you are changing or are you changing team instructions as well?
both of them