ocollins21314

Reaction score
View attachment 714135

Every year I attempt a save with a high mid-table standard Premier League team in an attempt to eventually take them to the pinnacle of world football and establish them as the dominant force throughout the footballing world. Usually I attempt to do so with Everton, although this season I've chosen Southampton; I prefer their squad and perhaps more importantly they have a decent transfer kitty to play with.

I'm actually already in to my third season with the club, but have made regular saves and so I'll look back and try to best describe how life with the Saints has been going so far, and then of course I'll move on to describing what happens as I go along. This is my first FM Base stories thread to please feel free to leave any comments about how it could be improved or whatever might be good about it and bear in mind I won't catch up to where I presently am in the game for a few days as it actually takes a lot longer to recall and write about what happens then I imagined it would! I hope you enjoy the story!

Season 2014/15:

Predicted Finish: 9th
Transfer Budget: £19.32m
Wage Budget: £1.06m p/w

Transfers:

View attachment 325338

Jesus Vellejo: I think my head of youth actually put in an offer for him but having looked at him he has good defensive attributes at such a young age and whilst lacking something physically he can hopefully become more rounded over time. He's one for the future and as such I've loaned him out to Fulham.

View attachment 325327

Eder Alvarez Balanta: He's someone that I'm sure most FM players are aware of by now; a rock in defence with fantastic potential. Handily he can also play LB if needed. I feel I got him for a good price and he adds some much needed steel to the back line.

View attachment 325326

Lucas Romero: Much like Balanta he'll be well known by most and he is simply fantastic for his age with the only thing he really misses being height. I'm confident he'll be a mainstay throughout this save.

View attachment 325325

Saido Berahino: Perhaps I took a little bit of a gamble signing him for the amount I did but he does have very good attacking and pace attributes for his age and he'll help boost our home-grown quota.

View attachment 325324

Paulo Dybala: Another player I've embraced on previous saves, although having a preference for playing up front I can see him playing no.10 with the attributes he has. I sold Jack Cork rather reluctantly to get hold of him so I'm hoping he can deliver the goods.

View attachment 325323

One thing that was slightly annoying, but understandable, about this transfer window was that all of my purchases except Vallejo inserted release clauses in their contracts. I managed to barter them up to around £45m in each which I suppose if they did get taken for I couldn't really complain with but the sooner I get those release clauses removed the better.

Tactics:

I'm very much a fan of playing an attacking 4-2-3-1 and that's what I'll be implementing here. I've got a good range of players to make it work and hopefully it won't leave us too vulnerable defensively.

My strongest line-up as I see it is:

View attachment 325337

I'd be happy to rotate my bench players, Wanyama is a beast and Dybala, Ward-Prowse and Berahino are all excellent younger players.

Jay Rodriguez begins the season injured.

Mid-Season

By January we had been doing well, 5th in the Premiership with some memorable results under our belt including a 2-1 victory over Chelsea and a 6-1 demolition of Sunderland in the FA Cup. Embarrassingly we did get knocked out of the Capital One Cup in only the second round by Brentford on penalties! We were still going strong in the FA Cup however with a 5th Round tie against QPR unlikely to prove too testing.

View attachment 325334

View attachment 325320

Transfers:

View attachment 325332

Pablo Sarabia: He'd played very well for Getafe so far that season with an average rating of 7.40 from 19 games. A product of Real Madrid he has excellent technical ability coupled with wonderful vision; I hoped he could spark some creativity in the side with us lacking somewhat in the goal department.

View attachment 325331

Zakaria Bakkali: Agreed to sign another well-known youngster on a free in the summer. He appears to of had his stats watered down somewhat in comparison to previous FMs but hopefully he can still prove a valuable signing.

View attachment 325329

Jay Rodriguez: Whilst being described as a key player for us at the start of the season his injury issues meant I didn't start him once, and when Sociedad came in with a decent offer for him I was happy to accept; we got some good money for him and when comparing him to our other attacking players I don't think he'll be missed.

Individual Performances:

Florin Gardos: A real life new addition this summer, I admittedly didn't know who he was when I first started the save. He has been on fire. Our top performer thus far with an average rating of 7.45 from 21 games including 5 goals, 3 assists and 3 MoM awards; not bad offensive stats for a CB! Furthermore his discipline is good, only picking up 4 yellow cards as yet and making a monster 5.85 tackles on average per game.

Steven Davis: I was actually really suprised to see Steven Davis do so well, when I started I thought he would most likely be a bit part player, possibly sold in January or the next summer. However he has done excellently with 5 goals, 8 assists, 1 MoM and an average rating of 7.32 in 18 games.

Saido Berahino: Whilst being rather hit and miss Berahino was our top scorer at this point and as such deserves a mention. 25 games, 11 goals, 3 assists, 3 MoM and an average rating of 7.02.

Injuries:

We were fortunate to not pick up any major injuries amongst the first team but unfortunately, particularly given his young age, Jesus Vallejo damaged his achilles tendon on loan at Fulham and is out for 2 months.

Last edited:
End of 2014/15 Season

It was a productive season in the end for the Saints, finishing 5th in the Premier League and thus qualifying for the Europa League, smashing our predicted finish of 9th!

However on the cup front all was not as rosy with a 5th round loss to QPR in the FA Cup and a 2nd round loss in the Capital One Cup to Brentford; hopefully next season those progressions will be greatly improved upon.

Everton, Liverpool and ourselves pushed for 4th spot in the final couple of months of the season but in the end poor form towards the very end cost us. We did at least have some small successes in the form of a 2-1 win at home to Liverpool and a 4-1 victory against Arsenal on the final day of the season.

View attachment 325267

View attachment 325266

Star Players:

Florin Gardos: Continued his impressive form throughout the season, in the end producing 8 goals, 4 assists, 4 MoM performances and an average rating of 7.30 in 37 matches in all competitions.

Steven Davis: Like Gardos maintained his superb form ending with 8 goals, 10 assists, 3 MoM awards and an average rating of 7.17 in 35 games.

Other Notable Players:

Saido Berahino: Unfortunately the goals dried up for Berahino after January and he only managed 2 more in a further 12 games, albeit 7 of those from the bench. Hopefully he would have bedded in well for next season.

Jose Fonte: Club captain but struggled to get into the first team managing only 3 starts and 3 sub appearances; furthermore he only managed an average rating of 6.66. The exit door beckons.

Eder Alvarez Balanta: Solid debut season, finishing as our third-highest performing player with an average rating of 7.08 and a strong average 6.54 tackles per game. Very promising.

Sadio Mane: Performed well, 8 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoM, 7.05 rating in 30 games, not to mention highest average dribbles per game in the squad of 5.13.

Awards:

Southampton Fan's Player of the Season: Florin Gardos

Players' Team of the Year Members: Florin Gardos

EPL Player of the Month: Saido Berahino (x1)

EPL Young Player of the Month: Lucas Romero (x2), Saido Berahino (x1)

EPL Goal of the Month: Morgan Schneiderlin (x1)

Player Stats:

Top Performer: Florin Gardos - 7.30

Top Goalscorer: Saido Berahino - 13

Top Assists: Steven Davis - 10

Injuries:

We managed to end the season injury free with the exception of a minor injury to Nathaniel Clyne who is unlikely to remain at the club anyway following his loan stint with the club.

Board Confidence:

View attachment 325265

On to the next season, Europa League, and hopefully a push for Champions League football!

Last edited:
So close to CL football!!! well at least you are still bringing Europa League to Southampton! hopefully next season you can do it!!

So close to CL football!!! well at least you are still bringing Europa League to Southampton! hopefully next season you can do it!!

Cheers, this is just a re-cap I've written, I'm actually in the 16/17 season so I know the answer already, I won't spoil it for you though haha ;)

Good start mate , hopefully we can catch up to where you currently are and then get some more match details, goal scorers etc. Just finished my first season with Southampton and got Barkley and Javier Hernandez £25m.

Good start mate , hopefully we can catch up to where you currently are and then get some more match details, goal scorers etc. Just finished my first season with Southampton and got Barkley and Javier Hernandez £25m.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind :) Ah nice, it's crazy how cheap Barkley goes for in this game, I remember in FM14 you'd have to pay upwards of 40m but in this save I saw him go to Arsenal for 13m after two seasons! Unfortunately I saw it too late, would've been great to have snapped him up. How did you do in your first season by the way?

Kind of inspiring me to try Southampton once I have won everything with Leeds! Half way there!

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind :) Ah nice, it's crazy how cheap Barkley goes for in this game, I remember in FM14 you'd have to pay upwards of 40m but in this save I saw him go to Arsenal for 13m after two seasons! Unfortunately I saw it too late, would've been great to have snapped him up. How did you do in your first season by the way?

Exactly the same as you! P38 W18 D11 L9 Pts65

Fnished 6th though behind

ManUtd
Chelsea
Arsena
Spurs
Man City

Won Capital One Cup with an easy ish draw in every round.

Currenty in close season / pre season, brought in Barkley, Hernandez, Wollschied, Mica Richrds, Christian Fuchs, Tyler Blackett, Sergi Roberto.

Sold Pelle, Oswaldo, Gardos, Fonte, Long, Wanyama

Looking forward to seeing your transfers

Exactly the same as you! P38 W18 D11 L9 Pts65

Fnished 6th though behind

ManUtd
Chelsea
Arsena
Spurs
Man City

Won Capital One Cup with an easy ish draw in every round.

Currenty in close season / pre season, brought in Barkley, Hernandez, Wollschied, Mica Richrds, Christian Fuchs, Tyler Blackett, Sergi Roberto.

Sold Pelle, Oswaldo, Gardos, Fonte, Long, Wanyama

Looking forward to seeing your transfers

Wow what a coincidence haha :p Congratulations on the Capital One Cup, I can't believe I was knocked out by Brentford!

Ah nice transfers, although I played a couple of seasons as Man U to warm up and didn't think much of Blackett, how are you finding him? And you sold Gardos?! He's consistently my top performer or there abouts haha, did he not perform for you? And what about Wanyama? Not to your fancy?

Season 2015/16

Predicted Finish: 8th
Transfer Budget: £33.61m
Wage Budge: £1.32m

Transfers:

View attachment 325130

Jorge Correa: Versatile attacker who will provide competition and cover for the front 4, he may even blossom into starting material, he has potential and good mentals for a 22 year old.

View attachment 325142

Kristoffer Ajer: My head of youth bid for this one. Well-rounded and young he has bags of potential, my coaches reckon he has the potential to be a star defensive midfielder in the future. Loaned out to Young Boys as he won't be making the first team this year.

View attachment 325141

Zakaria Bakkali: Signed on a bosman, plenty of potential but annoyingly reluctant to go on loan, I don't know how much first team football I can offer him.

Gabriel Barbosa: We all know him, right? This is exciting.

View attachment 325140

Osman Hadzikic: I wasn't hugely impressed with Fraser Forster last season and as such I've bought him some competition to rotate with. Still only 19 with decent ability already, was the cheaper option amongst other young goalies.

View attachment 325139

Patric: Cheap but solid cover for Nathaniel Clyne.

View attachment 325138

Eugene Khacheridi: Hard as nails. Defence is where I felt we needed to improve most and despite the large outlay he brings bags of experience and wonderful ability.

View attachment 325137

Alberto De la Bella: More experienced and cheaper option to purchasing Ryan Bertrand.

View attachment 325136

Douglas Costa: I'm so happy with this signing, I've seen him go to the likes of Chelsea in other saves so I feel he's a real coup.

View attachment 325135

Shane Long: Wasn't hugely impressive last season. Makes way for new attacking signings.

Gaston Ramirez: Useless on loan last season, Juventus made a good offer.

Dani Osvaldo: Not great on loan, getting on and not needed with the fantastic young strikers at our disposal.

Graziano Pelle: Perhaps I let him go for too little, but in the second half of last season I couldn't depend on him one bit. Not needed.

Jesus Vallejo goes back out on loan, this time to the Eredivisie to get much needed game time.

Tactics:

I fancy this starting 11 to push for Champions League football this season.

View attachment 325134

Frustratingly Steven Davis who was so ever-present last season suffered a serious hip injury likely to keep him out for months. This gives Dybala a chance to shine as the no.10.

Once again I'm sticking with 4-2-3-1, something unlikely to change over the save. I generally use direct, attacking instructions but I do have some more possession based defensive tactics in reserve for the big boys if things get ugly.

Mid-Season

The first half of the season progressed well. By February we sat in 4th in the EPL, albeit only because Chelsea's involvement in the Club World Cup left them in 5th, 1 point behind us with 3 games in hand. Notable results included a 2-0 victory away to Man City as well as a 1-0 win against league leaders Liverpool.

In the Capital One Cup we fared far better than last season smashing Wigan 6-0 on aggregate in the semis to book a testing final against Chelsea.

The board didn't expect us to make it through the Europa League group stages but we finished top of our group with only 1 loss. A trip to Dutch side Twente awaits us in the First Knockout Round.

View attachment 325133

View attachment 325132 View attachment 325131

Transfers:

Jose Fonte: I finally managed to ditch out long-serving captain after just three sub appearances this season and a grand total of 9 over the last year and a half.

Josh Sims: Promising winger sent out on loan.

Individual Performances:

So many players had performed well thus far but to pick a few...

Sadio Mane: Our top performer; 25 games, 13 goals, 7 assists, 1 MoM, 7.40 average rating. What a beast.

Florin Gardos: Yet again doing the business, last year's Fans' Player of the Season had played 31 times with 5 goals, 1 assist, 3 MoM, 7.37 average rating not to mention on average making 6.36 tackles per game.

Saido Berahino: How this lad has taken to his second season! He leads both the EPL and our scoring charts with 23 goals in 31 games in all competitions.

Lucas Romero: Much improved from last season. Doing it all, scoring goals, making goals, tackling, passing and scoring a solid 7.28 average rating in 28 games.

Injuries:

Tragically Gabriel Barbosa suffered a torn calf muscle and as such was ruled out of action for 4-5 months! He had 9 goals from 16 games as well! I was extremely disappointed by this and just prayed it wouldn't have too major an impact on his overall progression as a footballer as such a serious injury at a young age can.

Despite recovering from injury Steven Davis struggled to recapture his form from the previous season and couldn't oust Dybala from the no.10 role where he was now coming good on his potential.

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing a saints save, would you recommend it?

Yeah it's been a really fun save so far. Good luck with Leeds! Where are you in your save so far?

5th Season in. Champions of Championship first season followed by a modest 10th in next Season in Prem. Then a surprising Second by a point in the 3rd. Won the Prem in the 4th season by a county mile. Curently sitting top after 10 games in the 5th. No other trophies which is a disapointment. Zivkovic has been unreal. Alex Mowatt was a surprise package as well.

I was thinking of doing a saints save, would you recommend it?

Definitely. They have a strong core to their team already, a decent transfer budget to play with and a fair few squad players to sell if you want some extra cash, particularly after the first season and some loans end. I've been finding it really enjoyable so far :)

5th Season in. Champions of Championship first season followed by a modest 10th in next Season in Prem. Then a surprising Second by a point in the 3rd. Won the Prem in the 4th season by a county mile. Curently sitting top after 10 games in the 5th. No other trophies which is a disapointment. Zivkovic has been unreal. Alex Mowatt was a surprise package as well.

Wow, that is impressive. I might give it a go once I'm fed up with this save.

Definitely. They have a strong core to their team already, a decent transfer budget to play with and a fair few squad players to sell if you want some extra cash, particularly after the first season and some loans end. I've been finding it really enjoyable so far :)

Is there much in the youth team? Id really like to try it but i duno, just need that sutin to really say go for it lol

Is there much in the youth team? Id really like to try it but i duno, just need that sutin to really say go for it lol

They have a decent youth team, but it's nothing special whatsoever, they seem to have watered down the stats of quite a few of their youngsters since last year. James Ward Prowse although being in the first team is only 20 I think when you start the game and after a season or so he really comes good. Josh Sims is a pacey winger who's also quite good but hasn't managed to break into my first team yet. I'd give at season and see how you find it, I reckon you'll like it :)