Spurs opt for two shirt sponsors

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 3K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Tottenham are to have two different shirt sponsors for their games this season - one for Premier League games and another for cup ties.

More...

Bit unfair on the fans imo, but then again, it's spurs. Wouldn't expect it any other way to get a bit of extra cash ;)

I do hate Tottenham but they are very good at making money, I'm sure other clubs may use this model in the future.

Hmm, might need to use this too make my new kits for my story :) But not a bad idea to do that in my opinion!

Bit unfair on the fans imo, but then again, it's spurs. Wouldn't expect it any other way to get a bit of extra cash ;)

We do love our money.

Then again, we do spend it occasionally too. 8-|

Won't be surprised if United bring out three, one for league, one for domestic cups and one for champions league.

Good stuff :) No different than having a fouth and/or fifth kit that gets used once by a club just to get a bit of cash off the fans :) European kits are different to premier league ones anyway, aren't they?

excellent money making scheme.

I agree. My understanding is that the kits used in the Champions League are different to the ones used in the premier league anyway (as in Chelsea, Man Utd et al have the sign on the arm etc...) Correct me if I'm wrong btw :) If that's the case, then adding a different sponsor to that kit makes no difference to a fan what-so-ever as they would have had to buy a second kit anyway (if they're into collecting all the kits). And the extra sponsorship is an added bonus.

More teams should be like Barcelona and pay for meaningful sponsors, rather than trying greedy money making ploys such as this one. Whats the point of having two sponsors other than money?

I agree. My understanding is that the kits used in the Champions League are different to the ones used in the premier league anyway (as in Chelsea, Man Utd et al have the sign on the arm etc...) Correct me if I'm wrong btw :) If that's the case, then adding a different sponsor to that kit makes no difference to a fan what-so-ever as they would have had to buy a second kit anyway (if they're into collecting all the kits). And the extra sponsorship is an added bonus.

The sleeve patches are worn by every team in the particular competition and are totally different to sponsors. It's doubtful anyone buys 2 shirts because of them.

Last edited:
More teams should be like Barcelona and pay for meaningful sponsors, rather than trying greedy money making ploys such as this one. Whats the point of having two sponsors other than money?

There isn't one.

This isn't a ploy.

The idea is to make money.

Top flight football is big business. Fans demand success and (unfortunately) money is the quickest way to achieve it.

Barcelona are different to many other clubs around the world. They are not simply a football club -- that is how they can afford not to have a shirt sponsor.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

The sleeve patches are worn by every team in the particular competition and are totally different to sponsors. It's doubtful anyone buys 2 shirts because of them.

I know people who do though, so it does happen.

Yeah, but with Sponsers they might?

Back