Spurs sack AVB!

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Andre Villas-Boas has been sacked at Tottenham!
Personally I felt it was the right decision, since they have been under performing a lot with such an impressive team. Spurs humiliating defeats against Man City and Liverpool shows sign of a totally demoralized team, like Chelsea was under his reign as well. I believe that AVB's days in the EPL might be over.
What is your opinion on this decision?

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur sack Andre Villas-Boas | Football News | Sky Sports

Andre Villas-Boas has been sacked at Tottenham!
Personally I felt it was the right decision, since they have been under performing a lot with such an impressive team. Spurs humiliating defeats against Man City and Liverpool shows sign of a totally demoralized team, like Chelsea was under his reign as well. I believe that AVB's days in the EPL might be over.
What is your opinion on this decision?

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur sack Andre Villas-Boas | Football News | Sky Sports

How much of the investment was by AVB vs. how much was made by their Dof/Technical Director Franco Baldini? Surely he (Baldini) should be held accountable for the under performance of any players he is responsible for signing?

How much of the investment was by AVB vs. how much was made by their Dof/Technical Director Franco Baldini? Surely he (Baldini) should be held accountable for the under performance of any players he is responsible for signing?
I think that AVB had a lot of influence on the transfers, so I would say that a huge part of it was his fault. It's going to be interesting what the players will say about his sacking, it weren't exactly positive words in CFC...

Deserved time to gel all of the new players. That many new faces were never going to gel quickly. ?100m spent and what if the new manager doesn't fancy half of the players? Just a mess.

AVB had the highest win % of any spurs manager since 1899 too. Deserved time to turn it around.

I think that AVB had a lot of influence on the transfers, so I would say that a huge part of it was his fault. It's going to be interesting what the players will say about his sacking, it weren't exactly positive words in CFC...

Equally how many signings have they made, expecting them to settle in a new league and gel as a team in such a short period of time is unrealistic, no? Is it not becoming more common for foreign players to take a full season to settle in to the league?

Deserved time to gel all of the new players. That many new faces were never going to gel quickly. ?100m spent and what if the new manager doesn't fancy half of the players? Just a mess.

AVB had the highest win % of any spurs manager since 1899 too. Deserved time to turn it around.

Agree.

Bale should have been sold a lot earlier so that new players were allowed to come and have good preseason together.Now they have a new group of players and will end up with a manager that never brought them.In short complete mess.AVB is done in epl now.He will end up managing in italy now i guess.

Levy is an idiot in footballing matters. As good as he is in finance, his decisions in footballing matters are absurd sometimes

Should he?

We know all of those players are good players. Lamela, Soldado et al have proved their quality time and again. The common denominator there was AVB.

Not saying he should've been sacked, it's a ridiculous decision, but it's not Baldini's fault they've been playing poorly.

Heh, I remember just a few months back Baldini was hailed as a God Of Transfer Market and everybody was pointing to Spurs as the proper way to act in transfer window - swift and confident, as opposed to United and Arsenal who supposedly blew it by indecision.

Football is a funny thing.

Can't really say its a premature decision though, gelling all the new faces is one thing, but that doesn't excuse AVB's horrifying tactical cockups.

Where were they at the equivalent point last season?

We are 1 point better off this time compared to last season! Plus in the Quarter Finals of Capital Cup, last 32 of Europa League! :)

Sacking was a little harsh imo considering spurs aren't exactly doing that badly despite the recent thrashings and AVB certainly deserves a few matches to try to turn it around.

Off topic: actually, Pardew should have been sacked instead after the 6-0 and 3-0 thrashings at home by a liverpool team w/o Luis Suarez and a poor Sunderland team as well as almost getting the team relegated...

Too many new players and alot of change too soon... the high line just like at Chelsea caused alot of problems for AVB and Spurs. The Liverpool game yesterday highlighted how easy it was to get behind with skill (Suarez) and pace (Sterling)

Seems a bit harsh. Needed more time with a squad full of new players like that. Shame!

Too many new players and alot of change too soon... the high line just like at Chelsea caused alot of problems for AVB and Spurs. The Liverpool game yesterday highlighted how easy it was to get behind with skill (Suarez) and pace (Sterling)

Or with skill and pace (Henderson)

Off topic: actually, Pardew should have been sacked instead after the 6-0 and 3-0 thrashings at home by a liverpool team w/o Luis Suarez and a poor Sunderland team as well as almost getting the team relegated...

Pardew has done wonders at Newcastle... Europa League hindered them just like it has with Swansea this season and now Newcastle are back to a similar level to the side that finished 5th a few seasons ago

always found the criticism for Pardew amazing considering what he has done for them

That's exactly the point though. Its not the first time playing with high line causes problems for AVB. Good manager should adapt by now, if not permanently, then certainly when facing someone like Suarez who was born to exploit space.

Young, arrogant manager, **** bent on having a trademark style, even when it hurts the team? That's basically a definition of a guy who needs some time alone to rethink his approach.

He is not ready to manage a big club yet. Sure, he achieved great things at Porto but being brought out of his comfort zone has definitely exposed his shortcomings. The poor man-management skills, the tactical stubbornness, the clueless way he handles the media and supporters

Highly doubt he will get another job in the EPL again. He will probably have to go abroad to rebuild his reputation. The likes of PSG and Madrid which once courted him, probably for the image he projects of a young, stylish and successful manager, will definitely not take a chance on him. Italy will be his next destination I guess

Either way the decision to sack him is ridiculous ... No better manager available at the moment who will take on the Spurs job. Are they really planning to go to the end of the season with Tim Sherwood? They can kiss the best chance they have of attaining a Top4 position goodbye in that case

1. Sacking looks harsh but is understandable after two ridiculous losses one at home against direct rivals to the fourth cl spot. Without a single shot on goal.
2. Not his fault if their best player left and, on paper at least, he brought in a number of pretty excellent players - one of whom ERICKSEN I wouldnt mind at all having at UTD. Im saying he but I know that perhaps what happened was he identified the positions he needed reinforcing and BALDINI brought in the players (remember that as soon as WILLIAN rejected them they signed ERICKSEN).
3. But his fault in not being able to properly integrate them and in not managing to make the team play better. Perhaps there's a fault in communication (language/character).
4. Miles better than the extremely overrated REDKNAPP as shown by his achievements at PORTO and his win percentage at SPURS (highest of anybody since 1899) and a really good and devoted manager - just couldnt get his ideas across (as I say perhaps due to character/language/or even culture bearing in mind his failure at CHELSKI).
5. Tactically quite suicidal in the aforementioned two matches. As we all know from FM even its all good finding nice tactics but you need to have the players and adapt in relation to opponents. Playing an extremely high defensive line (as per usual) in both matches which included the slow DAWSON against a team with energetic mid field and quick attackers (MAN CITY) and against the team with the most in form and quick attacker (SUAREZ) was suicidal and invited trouble.
6. Still who next? Who's out there who's better? CAPELLO perhaps but he's in a good lucrative job and doesnt go with the English (media) mentality either. LAUDRUP? I have severe reservations about him. So who. Actually I dont rate MOYES at all but looking around I dont see too many available good managers.