May I add the suitability to the role here as a fourth? A lot of times I have seen players in non natural positions because they have a player who doesn't quite fit the tactic but he has great attributes and should play. Teaching a player a new position in those cases is vital or alternatively make the difficult decision to sell him or simply make him a excellent player on the bench and rotate.

The difference from Natural to Accomplished makes a huge difference in how the player performs. It's okay to use players in non natural positions as substitute for parts of matches but it will halt your progress in the long run.
I don't regard this as important at all. Of course, there are penalties for playing players out of position but on the whole, if they have the attributes, they'll be fine. My M/AMCL (Petropoulos from the OP) was used as an AMR Inside Forward Attack in one season and he was voted player of the year that year. The next season, I played him as a DLF/S and was the second best goal scorer. He was rated as ineffectual for both.

I don't have an issue with using player out of position. I try to avoid it at the start though. I don't know enough about the player and how he plays yet to base an entire formation based on the assumption that he'd be good there.

I don't regard this as important at all. Of course, there are penalties for playing players out of position but on the whole, if they have the attributes, they'll be fine. My M/AMCL (Petropoulos from the OP) was used as an AMR Inside Forward Attack in one season and he was voted player of the year that year. The next season, I played him as a DLF/S and was the second best goal scorer. He was rated as ineffectual for both.

I don't have an issue with using player out of position. I try to avoid it at the start though. I don't know enough about the player and how he plays yet to base an entire formation based on the assumption that he'd be good there.

Fair enough. I try to avoid it because I have exactly the reverse experience with it but then I guess it's down to other factors.

Fair enough. I try to avoid it because I have exactly the reverse experience with it but then I guess it's down to other factors.
It's not perfect. Petropolous would miss 'easy' chances (at AMR) at times because his finishing isn't what it should be. He scored beauties from range though! He has the agility to cut in and the dribbling to cause most defenders problems. At DLF, he was deadly. Further away from goal, so finishing less needed. His pace, dribbling, vision and long shots made him a nuisance to deal with and he was brilliant.

It's not perfect. Petropolous would miss 'easy' chances (at AMR) at times because his finishing isn't what it should be. He scored beauties from range though! He has the agility to cut in and the dribbling to cause most defenders problems. At DLF, he was deadly. Further away from goal, so finishing less needed. His pace, dribbling, vision and long shots made him a nuisance to deal with and he was brilliant.

This is interesting. I haven't resorted to it in a long time but there is something to be said to use his strengths and PPM's to your advantage eventhough he is not a natural at the position like this. Sigh.. I should do a tactical experiment on this :D