Reaction score
Starting Fm13 as Athletic Bilbao.

I have read a few forum entries, i like KLIPPBO Los Leones.

But i would like to know in peoples opinion, what is the best way to approach this club. I understand about Llorente leaving, but wanted to know, what about the coaches, staff, do i get rid of whole lot all in one go, or is it best little and often, if so how often.

Any advice will be greatly received

Whoops. Sorry about that. I tried looking on the SI forums, but didn't see one. I'm sure there was one for FM12.

The trick here is to be patient. Patient with results, patient with finding the right set of staff and set of players. There is no need of just getting rid of them because you feel you can get better ones. I would wait until the right staff comes along and then make the change. Dont overestimate how much your players can improve or the impact a 3.5 versus a 4 star coach has.

As you ( as I understand it) play this as a longterm challenge, just be patient with everything you do.
Make a plan on how to approach this save. Are you willing to wait 2 seasons until being able to get into Europe?. If not, then how are you going to do it in a shorter period of time and is this plan one that makes you perform in the longrun ?

Oh, did I mention that Patience is a... ;D

Last edited:
From experience (did a long save with Bilbao), your players DO develop rapidly in the first 2 seasons. I sacked everyone who wasn't up to scratch of a title winning team and brought in those that were. (I get a screenshot of my staff changes in the 1st season if you want?)

If you are using the database before Llorente agreed to leave (So before the january one), of er him out for about 32m on the first day you take over, and Arsenal and Tottenham both bid.

I bought Agirretxe and he was the 2nd top scorer in the league (I finished 2nd behind Barca in the first season, winning the Europa League and Copa Del Rey). Again, if you want I can get a screenshot of my transfers, just give you some ideas? :)

Sorry for his name being in bold, I had to copy and paste it from Wiki 'cos I didn't have a clue how to spell it :p

Answers to a few replies --

Scotty 98TR. i guess that you are refering to what version is loading up at start of game. it is 13.3.0 Update also it says Llorente has agreed a move to Juventus on 1-7-2013, so guess that rules out me selling him to Arsenal or Tottenham now or in January then.... (am i right to assume that?) Thanks for info on Agirretxe will look into that. You mention about two screenshots, of staff changes and of your transfers in season one, i would like to see them if i can.

TheBetterHalf. Patience right ok got loads of that.

Scotty 98TR. i guess that you are refering to what version is loading up at start of game. it is 13.3.0 Update also it says Llorente has agreed a move to Juventus on 1-7-2013, so guess that rules out me selling him to Arsenal or Tottenham now or in January then.... (am i right to assume that?) Thanks for info on Agirretxe will look into that. You mention about two screenshots, of staff changes and of your transfers in season one, i would like to see them if i can.

Answers to a few replies --

TheBetterHalf. Patience right ok got loads of that.

Yeah, that's what I meant and it means you can't sell him :/ I had almost £50m to spend in my first season after selling him.

Getting the screenshots now :)

I know a little bit about Bilbao lol and made that guide as linked to above and as said above you need patience and on top of that plenty of faith!!!!

I get rid of the majority of the staff and employ better ones but with a Spanish core.

Never be scared to play your youngsters they wont develop if they dont get game time and try and get your B side promoted asap so your youngsters can play at a higher level when they are not in the first team.

To be honest I could write a book about playing as Bilbao - check out my current save on the stories page or my live streams and you will see what i do. or i could upload a save for you if you like

hey guys, been wanting to do a save with these for a few years lol, but i dont get that basque thing.

i thought it just ment spanish, but on the guide on this site, it says about signing ruffier and griezman who are both french, and forlan who is from south america....im so confused lol

hey guys, been wanting to do a save with these for a few years lol, but i dont get that basque thing.

i thought it just ment spanish, but on the guide on this site, it says about signing ruffier and griezman who are both french, and forlan who is from south america....im so confused lol

Basque means Basque-land in both spain and france.

The Basque region covers part of the north and south of France, and Bilbao only buy players from there. It is a second nationality, like Catalan.

The Basque region covers part of the north and south of France, and Bilbao only buy players from there. It is a second nationality, like Catalan.

oh right, is there a setting ingame then that allows u to filter 'basque' players?

oh right, is there a setting ingame then that allows u to filter 'basque' players?

Yeap, you can either ask the assistant to filter out unrealistic transfers, or you can add the filter "Nationality is Pays Basque"

Never be scared to play your youngsters they wont develop if they dont get game time and try and get your B side promoted asap so your youngsters can play at a higher level when they are not in the first team.

Do you manage your B side? I've never done that before.

Right, but if you really want your B side promoted, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take control of it as well. Although that's a lot more work.