• Views Views 4K

Would you Care If Stevie G retired ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calum

Reaction score
ENGLAND skipper Steven Gerrard thought about quitting international football after the World Cup shambles in South Africa.

Gerrard leads England out against Hungary at Wembley tonight in the continued absence of Rio Ferdinand.
And just days after Paul Robinson and Wes Brown announced they no longer wanted to play for their country, Gerro admitted: "I'm not going to lie to you. Since we were knocked out of the World Cup, it has been really difficult being an England player.

So retirement does cross your mind at times.
"But very quickly you switch back to thinking of staying and hanging in and, hopefully, turning things round and having a successful tournament."
Quizzed about Robinson and Brown deciding to quit international football, Gerrard added: "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and decisions.
"But I think if the manager picks you to play for England, you should come and play. Then, again, players are different.
"Some have injury problems, some are disappointed about not being picked and being left out of major tournaments.
"I don't know how I'd deal with that situation. But I'd want to go out on a high. I've played for England for over 10 years and there's no way I want my last memory to be of losing 4-1 to Germany."
England fans will be disappointed with boss Fabio Capello's starting line-up - Joe Hart, Michael Dawson and Bobby Zamora excepted.
But the second half will at least give them the chance to see new talents like Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs and Adam Johnson.

Last edited:
No he didn't, he said in his Press Conference that he never thought about it as he didn't want to end on a low

No player should retire from International duty, it should be an honour to play for you country. Quitting after the world cup would have cowardly in my opinion.

Gerrard wouldn't of retired from international football just because of what was a shambolic performance in the World Cup.

hes a decent player but ******* me off at the moment coming way too deep.

hes a decent player but ******* me off at the moment coming way too deep.

He's a 'decent' player?

Are you taking the ****? After 1 bad season he's not 'decent'.. He's still one of the best CM's in England and the World.

we are talking about england not club form.

Still, doesn't take away he's one of the best CM's in the world does it?

England's captain = Steven Gerrard! Granted it's only 'cause Rio is injured, still you don't become captain by being 'decent' do you?

steven gerrard is not a central midfielder. lets just clear that up

Still, doesn't take away he's one of the best CM's in the world does it?

England's captain = Steven Gerrard! Granted it's only 'cause Rio is injured, still you don't become captain by being 'decent' do you?

to be fair he was 3rd choice for the captains armband, i was just saying there is no way gerrard is world class for england.

I think this is just another stunt from Gerrard trying to get the fans on his side - just like when he said he "would boo england..."

I think this is just another stunt from Gerrard trying to get the fans on his side - just like when he said he "would boo england..."

Nah, I think he was being genuine, honest.

If Gerrard doesn't retire, then i'm sure he'll still be in the team in his 40s.

I couldn't care less if he retired from international duty. There are a few who don't merit their place in the England squad after the WC.

thread now reopened as i want to post this

England coach Fabio Capello has hinted that David Beckham's international career could be over as the Italian feels he is "a little bit old".
Beckham, 35, missed out on playing in the World Cup in South Africa because of an Achilles tendon injury.
Capello said: "I thank [David] very much for helping me at the World Cup but probably he is a little bit old."
Beckham's agent later released a statement confirming the player's desire to carry on playing for England.
The statement said: "For your information, there has been no discussion of retirement. He will always be available for his country, when fit and if needed he will be there."
Former captain Beckham has 115 England caps - more than any other outfield player.
His last appearance for England was as a substitute in October 2009 in a 3-0 World Cup qualifying win against Belarus
Beckham captained England on 58 occasions, tearfully relinquishing the armband after England's exit from the 2006 World Cup.
He was dropped by Steve McClaren but was restored to the side as England's qualifying campaign for Euro 2008 faltered.
He played a role in 16 of the 21 matches matches under Capello before a ruptured Achilles tendon, suffered when playing on loan for AC Milan, put paid to his hopes of appearing in a fourth straight World Cup.
Instead, he was a member of Capello's back-up staff as England crashed out to Germany in the last 16.​

Thoughts ?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

read the above

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back