Steven Gerrard - into the world of management

PaperClipFMer

Reaction score
View attachment 260689

View attachment 260687
Steven Gerrard injured playing for LA Galaxy!

Former Liverpool and England captain, Steven Gerrard has suffered a serious injury playing for new club LA Galaxy. It is believed Gerrard has suffered serious knee ligament damage which will certainly keep him out for the remainder of the season and maybe beyond.

Gerrard is due to find out the extent of the injury on Wednesday evening after seeing a consultant.

Gerrard suffered the injury in a 2-0 home win againt Portland which leaves LA down in 6th place in the Western Conference and outside of the play off spots.

Gerrard joing LA Galaxy after serving his whole career at Liverpool where he captained both this club side as well as England. The former Liverpool man had been in good form since joining Galaxy, featuring in 11 games and scoring 3 goals in what is so far a disappointing season.

It will soon be decided whether Gerrard will return to club action or decide to reluctantly hang up his boots.

More to follow ...

View attachment 260675

Steven Gerrard decided's to hang up boots

LA Galaxy midfielder, Steven Gerrard had decided to retire from professional football after suffering a horror knee injury which ruled him out for at least 6 to 12 months.

Gerrard organised a press conference in front of the American press to announce his decision. Gerrard leaves Galaxy 6th in the league, just outside of the play off places.

It is thought Gerrard will remain at the club however in a coaching capacity until he has made a decision on his future.

Gerrard recorded 11 appearances for Galaxy scoring 3 goals before suffering the injury in a league clash against Portland.

View attachment 869579

View attachment 260672
Bruce Arena leaves LA Galaxy

LA Galaxy manager Bruce Arena has quit his post as manager. The news comes as a shock to all football fans throughout the U.S.A, the news comes just 48 hours after influential midfield player Steven Gerrard retired from international football.

Arena is now the odds on favorite to take charge at struggling Chivas USA who currently have 0 points from 17 games. It is thought that Arena very much, jumped before he was pushed.

It was thought the fans of Galaxy had been growing tired of Arena's defensive approach to games and were growing concerned of the clubs league position. Arena leaves the club in 7th place in the Western Conference and 16th placed in the Supporters Shield.

The favourites to take over from the former New York Red Bulls manager are, former player Steven Gerrard and Houston manager, Owen Coyle.

View attachment 260659

View attachment 260658

Steven Gerrard takes over at LA Galaxy

Former Liverpool and England captain, Steven Gerrard has taken over the vacant managers position at LA Galaxy. Gerrard only left the club as a player less than a fortnight ago after suffering a career ending injury.

He takes over LA in 7th positon in the Western Conference and all the way down in 16th place in the Supporters Shield.

Gerrard has signed a contract until the end of season which has 20 league games remaining.

Right, so with all that out of the way I thought I'd show you all the task at hand:

First of all, I have decided to use the following managerial style ...

View attachment 260655

I've used these preferences in order to try and make the save as realistic as possible. I have obviously chosen the 'International Footballer' option for the 'past experience selection' - fairly self explanatory really. I also selected having No coaching badges, as far as i Know Gerrard has not yet completed any coaching courses (I may be wrong though).

Next up then, the League Table ...

View attachment 260654

I take over with the club really struggling in the league! We're right down in 16th place in the Supporters Shield and in 7th place in the Western Conference. We have some work to do to start competing again when really we should be towards the top end of both leagues.

The positive for the Western Conference is that we only need to finish in 5th position to qualify for a 'Wild Card' which if we can win then we can still qualify for the play offs. Having said that, we're still a huge 9 points off finishing 5th, albeit with 3 games in hand.

View attachment 260653

Our hopes of having any success in the Supporters Shield has all but gone! We're a huge 14 points off top spot, however we do have 4 games in hand. If we're being realistic, all we can hope for here is a respectable finish.

So, these are our fixtings just before taking over ...

View attachment 260646
A bit of a mixed bag really, I'm pretty excited about the US Cup which we're already into the Semi final after bating New York in the Quarter finals. We've really got to pick up form though if we want to challenge for anything this season.

Next up, our squad ...

View attachment 260642

As you can see, we have a couple of really good players who should be dominant in this league. The first thing I noticed was the difference in some players wage, we only have 2 designated players (allowed 3) in Robbie Keane and Omar Gonzalez. Robbie Keane is on a huge £52k per week while Juninho, who should also be very good in this league is only on £3,800 per week.

View attachment 260639View attachment 260638
Should be our star defender and at only 25 he could even improve. He's been at the club since 2009 and should add real quality and experience.

View attachment 260637View attachment 260636
Juninho looks another good player who should be dominating the midfield area. The Brazilian has been at the club for 5 years and is vice-captain behind Robbie Keane

View attachment 260635View attachment 260634
Keane is definitely the stand out player in the squad. Although he has had a disappointing start to the season by scoring just 6 goals in 14 games, if we want to achieve anything then he HAS to do better than this.

Lets see how we get on with our first league coming up against 5th placed Real Salt Lake in less than a week ... the work starts now!

Interview with Jamie Carragher

View attachment 260178

JC - So Steven, nervous for your first game in charge?

SG - Yeah, a little. More excited than nervous though. It's going to be a huge challenge but one I know I'm ready for and capable for.

JC - You say 'challenge', its certainly that isn't it?

SG - Yeah, we've not got off to a good start this season so there's a lot to put right. I do really think that we can go on and finish in the play offs this season though.

JC - So, in terms of transfers what sort of players will you be able to attract? Premier League? Championship? Or even lower?

SG - Are you interested mate? But seriously, there won't be many transfers made this season as the budget won't really allow for it. But in the close season we'll definitely be active.

JC - Whats the standard of the league like then?

SG - I would say it is generally low end Premiership / top end Champioship. There's some brilliant players in this league like our very own Robbie Keane, Obafemi Martins and Clint Dempsey both at Seattle, Lampard and Villa both at New York.

JC - Well thanks for seeing me today old mate. All the best for the season and maybe we'll see you managing at Anfield sometime.

SG - One day at a time hey? But thanks.

Chat with striker, Robbie Keane

View attachment 260137

RK - Hi Gaffer, should i call you that now? I just wanted to wish you all the best on behalf of all the lads.

SG - Thanks Robbie. The support from you and all the lads means a lot. We're going to have to stick together if we're going to achieve anything this season.

RK - I agree. I know my performances haven't been up to standard this season which really hasn't helped our league position.

SG - None of the lads have really been playing as well as they're capable of if we're honest. If we're going to finish in the play off slots then I really need you to pick your form up. You should be ripping this league apart and thats what we need from you!

RK - I agree gaffer, I need to improve on my performance. I'll promise to improve and pull the team up the league.

Okay, so before we kick off with our first game in charge I thought I'd talk you through the squad and the tactic we'll be using.

View attachment 259494
So as you can see, we have a couple of stand out players but a lot who have only ranked at 2 stars and are still the best in their position.

The Goalkeeper looks okay, Jamie Penedo looks okay with a lot of experience. My coaches think he's a 'good player for most MLS sides'. Nothing special but good enough for this season.

The right back looks a very average position. DeLaGarza looks to be the best in the squad but he's better suited to CB. Therefore, Dan Gargan is next in line. He's only been rated 2 stars by the coaches so I'll look to improve here as soon as the budget allowes.

The center backs looks a little better. Omar Gonzalez looks a real stand out player and is one of our designated players. His partner should be DeLaGarza who looks decent. He's been rated 3 stars and 'good enough for most MLs sides'. After these two, Brazilian, Leonardo looks to be next in line. However, he has only been rated at 2 stars and classed as an inconsistent performer.

The left back looks another very average position. Robbie Rogers looks the best player capable of playing here but he's only been rated at 2.5 stars and is another inconsistent performer. He doesn't really have anyone decent challenging him.

Defensive midfield is a good position for us with Juninho looking very good, although he may be slightly better as a central midfielder. He's been rated 3.5 stars for the DM position and is a 'star player for most MLS sides'.

We look okay for the right wing as well. Stefan Ishizaki looking plenty good enough. He's better playing further forward but is still rated as 3.5 stars for the right midfield role. He too has been described as a 'star player for most MLS sides'. He may have problems with injuries though which we'll have to keep an eye on.

The left midfield is yet another bang average position with Gyasi Zardes the only half decent option. Zardes is still young but has really good potential. His best position is upfront however he looks to be decent on the wing.

Central midfield is the biggest concern for me with only Juninho rated over 2 stars throughout the whole squad. Juninho looks quality but his competitors look terrible for this position. I'll have to look for alternatives.

We don't really have anyone to play in the AM position. Robbie Keane looks by far the best option but I really need to be playing him upfront.

And lastly, the strikers again look okay. Robbie Keane looks brilliant and should be one of the best players in the league, however whoever partners him look like they'll be much shorter on quality. His partner will be between Alan Gordon who is rated at 2.5 stars, and Jose Villareal who is only rated at 2 stars but has great potential and is still only 20 years old.

After all that, I expect our line up to be something like this until any re-enforcement's arrive.

View attachment 259492

nice start will follow!

One question when you started the story, was there an option to start in the 2015 season?

nice start will follow!

One question when you started the story, was there an option to start in the 2015 season?

Thanks pal. Have you managed in the MLS before?
There possible was, I just started in July as normal and took over the season half way through. I thought it would be more of a challenge this way as the club was struggling before taking over.

Right, onto our first game in charge then. We start our carear with a home game against Real Salt Lake who currently occupy the final play off spot in 5th position. Before the game kicked off, we're 9 points behind but with 3 games in hand.

Lets see how we got on:

View attachment 259433View attachment 259432
A really good win and a great start to management.

The away side dominanted in terms of shots, shots on target and just edged the possesion. They failed to create a single clear cut chance though and most of the efforts were from long range.

It's certainly promising that Robbie Keane has got off to a good start with an early brace. We had a couple of dodgey moments at the back which almost allowed them in on goal but we got away with it today.

Even though Robbie Keane scored 2 goals and played very well, Juninho still managed to pick up the man of the match award which just goes to show just how well he actually played.

We're now only 5 points off the top 6 places with 2 games in hand over Real Salt Lake. This victory really makes the top 5 places a possibility.

View attachment 873311View attachment 259048

Steven Gerrard wins first game in management

Former Liverpool and England captain, Steven Gerrard has won his first game in football management with a 3-1 victory for LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake.

The Galaxy took the lead after just 7 minutes thanks for a former teammate of Gerrard's, Robbie Keane. Real Salt Lake then levelled shortly after the half hour mark. The Galaxy then retook the lead thanks for Brazilian midfielder, Juninho.

The game was then end to end with Real Salt Lake arguably having the better chances and more of the ball. However, Robbie Keane bagged the third for The Galaxy which ensured the win for them.

Gerrard has a big task on his hand trying to get The Galaxy into the MLS play off places but he's certainly got off to a good start.

View attachment 259041

Steven Gerrard - Hi Robbie, thanks for seeing me.

Robbie Keane - No worries gaffer, what's on your mind?

SG - I just wanted to congratulate you on your performance in the last game against Real Salt Lake. If you play like that every week then we'll have a real chance of getting into these play offs.

RK - Thanks gaffer. I'm pleased with my performance too and hopefully I can keep this up for the rest of the season.

SG - Same again next week please mate!

Our next game was against New England who were bottom of the Eastern Conference. Definitely a winnable game ...

View attachment 259047View attachment 259046
Another very good win! In truth this was a game we should have won but we still played well and really should have won more comfortably.

We took the lead through Jose Villareal after 38 minutes before New England levelled midway through the second half.

In form again, Robbie Keane then struck his 3rd in 2 games to put us back in front.

Really the game was pretty close but I would say we just edged it and had the better chances. The two up front really showed their class and won the game for us!

Just after the match, we managed to announce the first signing for the club:

View attachment 259038
Zat Knight becomes the first addition after taking charge. Knight will come in as back up primarily but will also give us the option of playing 3 at the back if we need to.

He isn't brilliant but is by far the next best option in front of Leonardo.

Our 3rd game in charge was against Sporting Kansas City. Kansas City are in a similar position to us in the Eastern Conference and are 4 places in front in the Supporters Shield, in 12th place.

View attachment 259036View attachment 259035

That makes it 3 wins from 3!

A very good game which was totally end to end and really could have gone either way. Kansas certainly had more efforts from goal but a lot were from distance and didn't trouble the keeper. We had the better chances again thanks to another good display from the two strikers.

Jose Villareal scored his second goal in 3 games early on to put us 1-0 up before we doubled the lead thanks to center back, DeLaGarza who scored from a corner.

Kansas then got back into the game in the second half and eventualy levelled the scores with just over 10 minutes to go.

The game looked as though it would peter out for a 2-2 draw before late on, Robbie Keane broke through into the area and was brought down. Keane then converted the penalty with seconds remaining.

After claiming this win, we received a transfer offer:

View attachment 259029

The bottom side in the Eastern Conference, New England offer their second round pick in the superdraft for left sided player, Robbie Rogers.

In truth I don't really know how good an offer this is. I've never managed in the MLS before so I don't know how valuable a second round pick is.

I tried to negotiate the offer for a first round pick but New England then pulled out of the offer.

Just in case another offer came in for Rogers, i decided to bring in another left back

View attachment 259032
Left back, Paito becomes the latest member of the squad after Zat Knight was confirmed earlier on in the week.

Paito looks plenty good enough for left back and looks to be an improvement on Rogers anyway.

Next up we had a mid-season friendly against Barcelona (for some unknown reason)

View attachment 259024View attachment 259022

A 0-0 draw against the mighty Barcelona!

I still can't work out how on earth Barcelona didn't score here. 42 shots and 24 on target, in truth they should have scored about 10!!

I'm actually quite proud of this result, I know it was only a friendly and their season hasn't even started yet but to keep Barcelona to a 0-0 draw is pretty impressive, especially as they started with their best line up.