Steven Gerrard - into the world of management

The final game of the month was against second placed, Seattle ...

View attachment 259021View attachment 259020
Our first disappointment of the season!

We got off to a great start with yet another goal from Robbie Keane after just 24 minutes.

It then became the Obafemi Martins show as we just couldn't control him. He equalised just before half time and then really turn on the class in the second half and competed his hattrick with just over 15 minutes left.

This brings an end to my first month in charge! Overall I'm pretty pleased with how things have gone. 3 wins from 4 along with a 0-0 draw in the friendly against Barcelona.

After this period, the table looked a lot better than when I first took charge.

View attachment 259019
We gone from being 9 points off 5th place to now only being 3 points behind and having 2 games in hand over Real Salt Lake. It was important to get of to a good start so the play offs could remain a realistic aim.

The supporters Shield also now looked a lot better ...

View attachment 259018
We also moved up 5 places in the Supporters Shield and now find ourselves in 11th position.

View attachment 259017

The good performances of Robbie Keane didn't go noticed this month either with him winning the player of the month award.

We started August against league leaders, Portland. Portland are top of both the Western Conference and the Supporters Shield (both by 5 points).

View attachment 258982View attachment 258981
What a shocker!

Portland are without doubt the best team we've played so far. We just couldn't cope. This doesn't bode well for the cup semi final we play against Portland in a couple of weeks!

TALK WITH DIRECTOR AFTER PORTLAND GAME

DIRECTOR: Steven, thank you for joining us today.

Steven Gerrard: No problem. What can I do for you?

Director: I just wanted to inform you how disappointed we are with the two previous results. The performances from the players was not acceptable.

Steven Gerrard: I agree, the performance was not up to scratch in either game and we need to improve massively in future games.

Director: It was not just the player’s performance that annoyed us. Your tactical naivety really showed. How could you allow Obafemi Martins all that space against Seattle? And then against Portland, they just ripped through our midfield as though they weren’t there.

Steven Gerrard: Martins just had a very good game boss, you know he’s capable of this. He’s one of the best players in the league! I admit, we were too open against Portland but I’m so keen to play two up front because Keane and Villareal are playing so well together.

Director: Okay Steven, I can see you’re new to this. Consider this a warning and any future results like this will not be accepted.

CHAT WITH BRENDAN RODGERS

View attachment 257047

Steven Gerrard: Hi Brendon, thanks for seeing me today. How are things with Liverpool?

Brendan Rodgers: No worries Steven, Pre-season went really well but we’ve started the season pretty unpredictably. We keep having a great result followed by an absolute mauling! We’re missing you in midfield.

Steve Gerrard: I’m sure things will turn around. In some ways I wish I stayed in Liverpool’s midfield.

Brendan Rodgers: Why what’s up? I thought things were going pretty well?

Steve Gerrard: I thought they were too but the chairman called me into his office yesterday and grilled me about the last 2 results. I’m starting to wonder if this challenge is too big for my first manager’s job.

Brendan Rodgers: You can’t be thinking like that already Steven. Football is full of highs and lows. The Americans done even understand the game anyway! The fans still love you, ride out the criticism and just stay there a year. This is your chance to prove people wrong.

Steven Gerrard: You’re right, next season is when people can judge me after I’ve brought a few people in. Also, whilst you’re here Brendon, I was after some tactical advice. I’m desperate to play 2 up front because I don’t feel Keane can play there on his own and he’s got to play … he’s our best player.

Brendan Rodgers: I had the same problem last year with Suarez and Sturridge. Both had to play but because of their ability. I tried Daniel on both wings, I tried one behind the other … we tried all sorts. But they work best in a 2 up front formation … be bold and play them both Steven.

Steve Gerrard: I’ve been playing 2 up front but my midfield is getting so overrun. Against Portland it was embarrassing, they’d make one pass and be one on one with the last defender.

Brendan Rodgers: We had this problem at Liverpool until we started playing 3 center backs, then one of the defenders can push into midfield when required. Your wing back can also push up to make 5 in midfield or drop to make 5 at the back. This is my favourite formation … give it a try!

Steven Gerrard: Thanks boss, I will do. Good luck with the rest of the season. Oh and don’t forget … you need to bring back the league title!!

Brendan Rodgers: Thanks Steven, like I haven’t got enough pressure.

Last edited:
View attachment 257034
LA GALAXY LEGEND LANDON DONOVAN JOINS CLUB AS COACH.

Former La Galaxy player, Landon Donovan has re-joined the club as a coach and advisor to new manager, Steven Gerrard.

Donovan only retired at the end of last season but felt he needed a short break from football before re-joining the club he loves. Donovan signed off in style in his last competivive fixture by beating New England to claim the MLS cup in his last game.

Donovan began his career at German side Bayern Leverkusen where played 28 times for their B team and only featured 9 times for the senior squad. Donovan then began a very successful loan spell at San Jose Earthquakes where he played for 3 years. He went on to play 87 times, scoring 32 goals mostly from a wide position.

Donovan then moved to fellow MLS side, La Galaxy after being involved in the draft. Donovan went to make 247 appearances and scored 112 goals, securing legendary status.

During his time with the Galaxy, Donovan often found himself on loan during the 'off season'. His firts loan stint was to German giants, Bayern Munich where he only featured 9 times and failed to score. His most successful loan stint was to the Premier League where he made 17 appearances for Everton over 2 loan spells.

Donovan has come into the club as a first team coach and to advise rookie manager, Steven Gerrard.

After the disappointment of the two previous results, we needed to brush ourselves down as then faced 4th San Jose. Another loss here would really put the pressure on ...

View attachment 256684View attachment 256685

A great win, and much needed! This should hopefully get the owners off my back for another couple of weeks or so.

Jose Villareal continues his good form by scoring again to put us 1-0 up. San Jose then equalised just after the hour mark before Alan Gordon, getting a rare start bagged in our second almost immediately after.

The game then petered out until the last few minutes when San Jose were reduced to 10 men following a second booking to JJ Koval.​

Just after this San Jose game, we had a transfer offer made on one of our fringe players ...

View attachment 256683
DC United offer 2 second round picks in the Superdraft. If I'm honest, I dont know how good this offer is because I don't really udnerstand the draft system yet :p

I accepted anyway as Rogers has become a backup player and his moral was pretty low.

View attachment 256681

It didn't take long ... Robbie Rogers joined DC United the very next day.​

Great start mate, very interesting.

Like most, I know nothing about how the draft or anything works in the US. Hopefully Stevie G can get his head around it & educate me!

Great start mate, very interesting.

Like most, I know nothing about how the draft or anything works in the US. Hopefully Stevie G can get his head around it & educate me!

Cheers mate! I'll try my best although I'm miles away from getting my head around it never mind educating anyone haha!

Thanks for the comment anyway :)

Next up is the big one, the game that the season rest upon! The US Cup Semi Final against league leaders, Portland.

The teams lined up as follows:

View attachment 256594
We stuck to our 4-4-2 diamond formation, simply because I didn't want to try anything new in such an important fixture.

Pre-match, I wasn't very confident. Portland had just smashed us 4-1 at home a couple of weeks before and sit top of the league miles in front of us.

But, if we could get the ball to the front men, especially Robbie Keane then we've got a chance of outscoring anyone.

Lets see how we got on ...

View attachment 256591
WHAT A GAME!!

The game didn't kick into life until the 75th minute when the first goal went in, a thunderbolt from in form Jose Villareal. I really thought we'd be able to hang onto this lead and see the game out 1-0 ... how wrong was it?!?

6 minutes later, Portland had equalised through Fanendo Abi which took the game to 1-1 with just 9 minutes to go.

The disaster struck as Portland scored again to take a 2-1 lead, this time Darlington Nadbi (great name) capitalised on some shocking defending! This meant 2-1 down with less than 5 minutes to go ... classic Steven Gerrard moment!!

We through everyone upfield in the hope of grabbing and equaliser, and sure enough substitute, Charlie Rugg (who only came on 2 minutes earlier) grabbed the dramatic leveler.

2-2 after 90 minutes ... the game goes into extra time.

Extra time started with the same pace that finished the second half, Juninho coming close early on before Jack McBean went even closer and found the net. Thats now 3-2 to the Galaxy.

Zardes then got on the ball and broke from a Portland attack and smashes it past the oncoming goalkeeper. 4-2 to the Galaxy. That surely puts them into the final!!

Shortly after Fanendo Abi broke free again to make it 4-3 - surely they couldn't come back from this.

Oh yes they can ... Our terrible defence conceding yet again. Diego Chara netting with less than 3 minutes to go. Portland even had chances to go 5-4 up but squandered them.​

FULL TIME - PORTLAND 4-4 LA GALAXY

ONTO THE PENALTY SHOOTOUT ...

View attachment 256588
UNBELIEVABLE!!

La Galaxy win the US Cup Semi Final 11-10 on penalties!

20 consecutive penalties converted between both side ensured it would be goalkeeper v goalkeeper. Larsen Kwarsey of Portland went first ... and blazes his effort over the bar!! This just means that Jaime Penedo has all the pressure on him! ... But he cooly slots the ball past his opposing number!

LA GALAXY ARE THROUGH !!

After that brilliant cup semi final win, our opposition for the final was announced ...
View attachment 256444

San Antonio Scorpions are the other half of this final. The Scorpions play their football in the North American Soccer League (below the MLS) and are currently mid table.

The Scorpions achieved the result of their history in their semi final as they beat Seattle who are battling it at the top of the MLS league.

They will be huge underdogs against this La Galaxy side but, as seattle found out, should not be underestimated.​

Some more news from that fabulous semi final result, and this time it isn't good news ...

View attachment 256443
Star striker and club legend, Robbie Keane has been ruled out of action for up to 3 months! The injury sustained was a torn hamstring.

This means that Keane will now miss the end of the season run in, and more disappointingly, he'll miss the Cup Final to be played in a few weeks time.

I think we'll struggle without Keane, Alan Gordon or McBean will really have to up their game to even come close to Keane's performances since I took over.​

Nice start mate, will be tough now with the injury to Keane. You going to stick to the current formation or change it with Keane being out?

That's a tough injury! :(

Maybe now you should consider a one striker formation?

Nice start mate, will be tough now with the injury to Keane. You going to stick to the current formation or change it with Keane being out?

Cheers mate! Always appreciate feedback. Kean is a huge loss, irreplaceable really! I'm not sure about the formation, my defence is so bad that I feel the only way to win a game is to outscore them. Also, I'm not convinced that any of my forwards are good enough/have the right skills to play the lone striker.

You'll have to wait and see I guess :)

That's a tough injury! :(

Maybe now you should consider a one striker formation?

Sorry Patrick, didn't see your comment straight away as I've already responded to Sadc-mad-scotty haha.

Thanks for the message anyway. Have you ever managed in the MLS?

After the high of the cup semi final, we brought back down to earth with a bump in our next league fixture ...

View attachment 256423View attachment 256425

A 3-2 defeat to Colombas after taking the lead as well ! Its official, we cannot defend!!!

Jose Villareal put us 1-0 early on and everything looked good. The second half though was a completely different story, Colombus scored less than 5 minutes after the re-start and then twice more within the last 10 minutes.

Zardes gave us some hope by scoring in between their two late goals to make it 2-2 but Colombus were far the better side. We actually did well to only conceed 3 - thats how bad we were.

Alan Gordon came into the side for the injured Robbie Keane and didn't really make the impact I was hoping. Jack McBean came on as a sub late on and made much more of an impact.​

After that disappointing loss, our attention turned to Colorado ...

View attachment 256420View attachment 256419

Back to winning ways!

Charlie Rugg got us off to the best possible start within 2 minutes by putting us 1-0 up. Alan Gordon then doubled the lead shortly after.

Colorado then came back into the game in the second half and got one backed just before the hour mark. They then equalised just after the hour mark as our poor defending continued into this game as well.

Charlie Rugg was then fouled in the penalty area with just under 20 minutes to go and Stefan Ishizaki converted the penalty to make it 3-2.

And that's how the game finished, again there were a number of nervy moments and we still didn't defend very well but a wins a win at this stage of the season.​

We then held Vancouver at home, a long awaited home game is just what we needed after a tough run of fixtures ...

View attachment 256418View attachment 256417

Another win but another tough win!

We again went 1-0 up early on, this time through Jose Villareal (back in the side after a slight knock last week).

The game was then very end to end for the remainder of the match. Vancouver, however, found a way through our leaky defence to level with just 10 minutes to go.

That looked to be end the of the game before Omar Gonzalez powered a header at goal from a near post corner which fired past the keeper to make it 2-1.​

Great start! MLS is mind blowingly complicated, I tried a save and gave up as I just didn't have a clue! Good luck and hope you get to grips soon!

The final game of the month was a home game against Chivas USA. Can we make it 3 wins from 3.

View attachment 256416View attachment 256415
Yes we can - thats 3 wins from our last 3 games!

After a tough period a few weeks ago we've really picked up since.

Again, we had to work for this result but it was one of our better performances for a while. We took the lead through Zardes only for Chivas to equalise a minute later.

The game was then pretty even up until injury time when Jack McBean struck in the 92 minute to ensure we came away with all 3 points.​