• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
A violent storm system, causing floods, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes has now killed up to a total of 178 people in the states of Alabama, Mississipi, Georgia, Tennesse and Viriginia. The most catastrophic of the damage has been in Alabama, where the death toll alone there has now reached 128-however they expect it to rise. The fierce storms spawned tornadoes and have wiped out homes and businesses, forced a nuclear power plant to use backup generators and even prompted the evacuation of a National Weather Service office. Two weeks ago at least 47 people died as a storm system tore a wide path from Oklahoma to North Carolina.
Yesterday alone, there were 160 reports of tornados. The town of Tuscaloosa, a city of more than 83,000 and home to the University of Alabama, was essentially flattened by a massive tornado estimated to be a stunning two kilometres wide. The twister made a direct hit on the town late Wednesday afternoon, leaving it looking like a warzone. There also reports of buildings simply disappearing-not destroyed or flattened-just simply being placed elsewhere. They are still to be located.

BBC News - Storms kill scores in Alabama and other south US states

The shear scale of this months outbreak is amazing. Between April 14th - April 16th, there were 289 tornados to have been reported touching down, in 15 states. And on April 26th, there were an additional reported 68 tornado touchdowns.

But it is not over yet. There are currently additional tornado warnings now extending into Virginia, and Florida, and even as far up as the New York border.

NOAA's National Weather Service

As it stands, so far this month, there have been a total recorded number of 654 tornados, though it could be subject to change, as there have been preliminary reports that need conformation, and as yet, there are additional storm systems developing. But as it stands, it could be the nations worst ever tornado outbreak in history-and the tornado season hasn't even finished yet.

YouTube - Violent Multi Vortex Tornado over Cullman County Alabama on April 27th 2011
YouTube - Tornado Video Footage EF-4 HQ - Tuscaloosa, AL - 04/27/2011 - Make Ready U.S.

Edit-193 now confirmed dead

Last edited:
Whole world is going to ****. Scary stuff.

Whole world is going to ****. Scary stuff.

Really is frightening stuff I agree. Been into meteorology for years, but I can't remember anything like this. It's incredible. Just hope it doesn't get worse. But the way it's been lately, I'm not holding my breath

When it rains, it pours as they say.

Natural disasters are awful.

Have we already had the calm before the storm and not heeded the warnings? The sheer amount of destruction recently is overwhelming, 2012 is coming early! Muahahahahaha! (6)

My TV programmes last night kept getting interrupted with tornado warnings. Luckily, they never got close enough that I had to worry about it. Looks like I'll just have to deal with the rain. I heard some of the tornadoes had a diameter of over a mile wide! Really scary stuff.

I think maybe Thor is on his way to earth.. It's a possibility!

My TV programmes last night kept getting interrupted with tornado warnings. Luckily, they never got close enough that I had to worry about it. Looks like I'll just have to deal with the rain. I heard some of the tornadoes had a diameter of over a mile wide! Really scary stuff.
Yeah, I think one was bang on 2 miles wide. Was incredible to watch

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Think the scale of destruction in these pics is incredible. It does look like a warzone. Shows how feeble we are against the power of mother nature

Deadly Storms Tear Through South - FoxNews.com

Holy ****, you have to think how lucky we are to live in England, a country where it is extremely rare to have a natural disaster

Holy ****, you have to think how lucky we are to live in England, a country where it is extremely rare to have a natural disaster

Tell me about it. Could change in the future though. Just staggered that this story takes a back seat to the Royal ****** wedding. But there you go lol

Well, this is only going to get worse. Scary stuff. Hope any forumers from America are alright.

Well, this is only going to get worse. Scary stuff. Hope any forumers from America are alright.

Looks like you could be right unfortunately. A new tornado warning has been issued in Virginia and North Carolina. But by the looks of it, the worst of it has moved seabound, so hopefully people can get a respite and recover from what just hit them. The thing that struck me most though, is with the F5 that struck Alabama-with debris falling 20 miles away. Incredible.

But by looks of it, main problem now is flood waters, and the possibility of more severe thunderstorms. Absolute nightmare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKjv9GuARQ

And this pretty much explains why this month has been so, so severe

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/48985/150mph-jet-a-key-factor-in-wed.asp

Last edited:
Just thought I'd give this a bump, in case anyone likes a good bit of storminess, and it's kinda related. Got a severe weather warning, and a severe thunderstorm watch for the UK, but get this. The warning includes Ireland, Northern, Western, and southern/south west England, and pretty much consists of thunderstorms/severe thunderstorms/supercell storms with hail, flash flooding, frequent cloud to ground lightning, strong winds, and a chance of isolated tornados-and the South west is pretty much expected to bear the brunt of it. Looks like the wild weather is coming to the UK. Must be bad if there's a chance of a tornado in north east lol

Just thought I'd give this a bump, in case anyone likes a good bit of storminess, and it's kinda related. Got a severe weather warning, and a severe thunderstorm watch for the UK, but get this. The warning includes Ireland, Northern, Western, and southern/south west England, and pretty much consists of thunderstorms/severe thunderstorms/supercell storms with hail, flash flooding, frequent cloud to ground lightning, strong winds, and a chance of isolated tornados-and the South west is pretty much expected to bear the brunt of it. Looks like the wild weather is coming to the UK. Must be bad if there's a chance of a tornado in north east lol

Who said this?

Who said this?

Just been reading weather watches online

SkyWarn UK | Current Alert

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Ajt's a weatherman, didn't you know? ;)

Inb4 ZOMG 2012 COMINGZ

lol. I admit I love me storms lol. And where I live, it's definately very oppressive and humid right now. It's like you can feel something is gonna happen

Last edited:
By my calculations (never eat shredded wheat), Isn't London kinda south-west

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back