Struggling to score goals with Liverpool

Dickybran

Banned
Reaction score
I have just taken over at Liverpool. In the pre-season friendlies my team were banging them in, winning on average by 4 goals. I know you can't take friendlies too seriously but now my strikers are really struggling to score. I am trying for the first time to play with 1 main striker up top, and then 2 inside forwards either side and Gerrard in the hole. I've tried Torres and Tevez upfront without much success. I've tried Suarez, Joe Cole and Ashley Young out on the left, Kuyt and Joe Cole on the right. Gerrard is really under-performing. I've tried him as an attacking midfielder, advanced playmaker, and tried playing him in the middle of the park just as a central midfielder.

I've tried all these things but am still only winning by the odd goal, or coming away with a 0-0 draw in a game I should have easily won. Any ideas?

In match preperation set it to "Attacking Movement" and "High" or if you really want "Very high".

Whats formation are you playing?
Also, try putting Cole as LAM and Inside forward, he does well there for me.

make gerrard advanced playmaker
Although I agree, he said he has already tried this..

Gerrard does very well for me at Advanced Playmaker so I don't know why he isn't doing well for him.

I would siggest playing Gerrard either in the middle as an advanced playmaker or on the right as an inside forward. If you're going to play 4-2-3-1 then you need a deep lying striker or a target man.

I'm playing 4-2-3-1. Torres only just came back from injury at the beginning of the season so I've mainly been playing Tevez up top as a poacher/advanced forward/deep lying forward (tried them all). I tried a few times with Torres but he was really unsuccessful. I've had my match preparation on attacking movement all season so far (I'm only 8 league games into the season), not sure what level at though, I will check. I've played Gerrard on the right but only as an advanced playmaker, I'll try him as an inside forward as well, and maybe Joe Cole on the left. Ideally I'd like to play Tevez, Torres and Suarez playing together, possible?

As a Liverpool fan i cant mention the T would anymore! I had a brilliant save going and i had to delete it after the deadline day changes.
Now using LFC Marshall's update and i play Carroll as the target man and Suarez as deep lying forward. Suarez comes in and out of form in the first season so i'm hoping this changes as i'm about to go into the second season. Carroll gets better in the second half of the season if you can keep him fit.

I'm playing 4-2-3-1. Torres only just came back from injury at the beginning of the season so I've mainly been playing Tevez up top as a poacher/advanced forward/deep lying forward (tried them all). I tried a few times with Torres but he was really unsuccessful. I've had my match preparation on attacking movement all season so far (I'm only 8 league games into the season), not sure what level at though, I will check. I've played Gerrard on the right but only as an advanced playmaker, I'll try him as an inside forward as well, and maybe Joe Cole on the left. Ideally I'd like to play Tevez, Torres and Suarez playing together, possible?
if you could a 4-3-3 and make your width wide, so in midfield the two players that aren't in the middle drift outwards.

I'm guessing you wanted all torres, tevez and Suarez playing upfront, or did you mean just on the field together?

As a Liverpool fan i cant mention the T would anymore! I had a brilliant save going and i had to delete it after the deadline day changes.
Now using LFC Marshall's update and i play Carroll as the target man and Suarez as deep lying forward. Suarez comes in and out of form in the first season so i'm hoping this changes as i'm about to go into the second season. Carroll gets better in the second half of the season if you can keep him fit.

Sorry for mentioning the T-Word mate. You're better off without the petulant, sulking waste of money.

if you could a 4-3-3 and make your width wide, so in midfield the two players that aren't in the middle drift outwards.

I'm guessing you wanted all torres, tevez and Suarez playing upfront, or did you mean just on the field together?

I was hoping I could play them all at the same time. Say Torres up top, Suarez on the left, Tevez in the middle behind Torres and Kuyt/Gerrard/Cole on the right.

Sorry for mentioning the T-Word mate. You're better off without the petulant, sulking waste of money.

I was hoping I could play them all at the same time. Say Torres up top, Suarez on the left, Tevez in the middle behind Torres and Kuyt/Gerrard/Cole on the right.
Oh ok, I'd suggest

Goalkeeper
Back 4
Cole - Lucas/Poulson Gerrard
--------------------------------------------Suarez

Torres Tevez

Cole(anything you want)
Lucas/Poulson(ball winning midfielder)
Gerrard(Advanced Midfielder)
Suarez(Inside Forward)
Torres(advanced striker) Tevez(Complete Forward)

Oh ok, I'd suggest

Goalkeeper
Back 4
Cole - Lucas/Poulson Gerrard
--------------------------------------------Suarez

Torres Tevez

Cole(anything you want)
Lucas/Poulson(ball winning midfielder)
Gerrard(Advanced Midfielder)
Suarez(Inside Forward)
Torres(advanced striker) Tevez(Complete Forward)

So just to make sure, that's Suarez on the left as an inside forward, Torres and Tevez up top together, and Cole further back on the right. If so I've actually tried that, but only a couple times, I will give it another go.

You need to give your teams Atleast 6 matches to get used to a tactic.

So just to make sure, that's Suarez on the left as an inside forward, Torres and Tevez up top together, and Cole further back on the right. If so I've actually tried that, but only a couple times, I will give it another go.
Yeah thats what i meant.

Yeah thats what i meant.

The only thing I would say is I'm having a lot if success with Meireles. He's easily been my best player, top scorer and most assists so far. So I would probably play him alongside Gerrard. I'll see how it goes anyway. Cheers!

The only thing I would say is I'm having a lot if success with Meireles. He's easily been my best player, top scorer and most assists so far. So I would probably play him alongside Gerrard. I'll see how it goes anyway. Cheers!
Oh ok, He hasn't been doing well for me so i sold him xD
I would of suggested 4-4-1, but you wanted all of them together.
4-4-1 is doing good for me, ended up third last season and am 1 point of the top with a game inhand :)

Last edited:
Oh ok, He hasn't been doing well for me so i sold him xD
I would of suggested 4-4-1, but you wanted all of them together.
4-4-1 is doing good for me, ended up third last season and am 1 point of the top with a game inhand :)

Really? I'd go as far to say he's probably been my best player I've ever had in all the years I've been playing FM. I know it's early days but he has been banging in goals from long range in almost every game so far. He's quietened down in the last few games, but I put that down to the opposition not giving him any space. I wasn't sure what role to give him and could even be bothered to look at his stats so just made him a box-to-box like in real life, and he's been amazing. I'm sure it won't last.

Really? I'd go as far to say he's probably been my best player I've ever had in all the years I've been playing FM. I know it's early days but he has been banging in goals from long range in almost every game so far. He's quietened down in the last few games, but I put that down to the opposition not giving him any space. I wasn't sure what role to give him and could even be bothered to look at his stats so just made him a box-to-box like in real life, and he's been amazing. I'm sure it won't last.
He kept missing for me :(

That's the annoying thing about this game. When I started with Spurs I couldn't get anything out of Van der Vaart. I ended up dropping him from the entire squad for the 2nd half of the season. I thought he would get the hump and request a transfer. But his morale was still very high so I gave him another go the next season and he was brilliant. Now I'm having the same problem at Liverpool, but with half the team. It's a funny ol' game!

That's the annoying thing about this game. When I started with Spurs I couldn't get anything out of Van der Vaart. I ended up dropping him from the entire squad for the 2nd half of the season. I thought he would get the hump and request a transfer. But his morale was still very high so I gave him another go the next season and he was brilliant. Now I'm having the same problem at Liverpool, but with half the team. It's a funny ol' game!
All my players morale is superb :)