Success Comes From Within - An Athletic Bilbao Story

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
th

HELLO!!!!!

Right here I go with a save with my favourite team to manage on FM17. Had 2 aborted saves already for one reason or another (crashed save and the new update changing everything on the day I started it) and have been playing a save with Stonecold but its time for me to go solo again (as well as carryin gon with Stonecold).

So my regular followers will know about my affinity with Bilbao thanks to my save that I had a few years back that was immense thanks to some regen - cant remember his name lol - Aitor somebody? My aim is simple - take Athletic to the top of not only Spanish but also world football.

You will probably know this but I should say it anyway - the main challenge with Bilbao is the fact that you can only sign players from the Basque area of Spain or Spaniards who are 16y/o or younger so they have their football education in the Basque region.

Regarding the manager I am going to be myself and not this Aitor fella and I will start with the lowest of the low in experience and coaching badges etc.

Please follow, like, look, read and comment!!!!!

--

SEASON ACHIEVEMENTS

SEASON
LEAGUE
CUP
SUPER CUP
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
EUROPA LEAGUE
EURO SUPER CUP
WORLD CLUB CUP
2016-17
4th
SF
-
-
WINNERS
-
-
2017-18
2nd
5th Rnd
-
Quarter Final
-
WINNERS
-
2018-19
3rd
QF
-
Group Stage
WINNERS
-
-
20019-20
WINNERS
5th Rnd
-
WINNERS
-
WINNERS
-
2020-21

WINNERS

-
Runners Up

Last edited:
th

PRE-SEASON & AUGUST

Pre-season with Athletic was simple - not really anyone to buy and no offers for me to sell anyone (not that I wanted to) so it was all about structuring the club from philosophies to backroom staff.

Having assessed my squad it has become apparent that if I suffer an injury crisis I will be in big trouble and with the lack of players to recruit it is vital that we stay healthy. Unfortunately one of my C team players didn't and did his cruciate ligaments and is out for 13 months - I promptly released him as he was **** anyway!

--

th

SQUAD

The main thing with Bilbao is to find a great keeper and a great striker - the rest tend to sort themselves out sooner but more likely later. Fortunately in the shape and form of Kepa and Asier Villalibre I have 2 great prospects. Kepa in goal will be my first choice keeper while Villalibre will be Aduriz's understudy before he takes over the mantle.

In defence Aymeric Laporte is one of the best defenders in Europe and being so young he needs to be kept at all costs. San Jose will partner him while De Marcos will be RB and either Lekue or Balenziaga will be LB.

Benat will be my creator in chief in midfield and Iturraspe, although a defensive minded midfielder at heart, will also be asked to provide both defensive cover as well as provide a spark going forward.

Inaki Williams is a must keep player (most of them are tbh) as the 22y/o is rapid and versatile. Muniain will be LW and Raul Garcia will be AMC but Susaeta will be hovering about trying to get into the side and changes will be made.

Up front it is all about Aduriz and the aforementioned Villalibre. At 35 Aduriz just has to hang on in there for a season maybe 2 just so Villalibre can take over.

--

TACTICS

I will play a 4-2-3-1 formation as I feel that will suit the players that I have from the 2 ball playing centre halves to the ancient but irrepressible target man Aduriz up front.
View attachment 100157

Williams will probably be my RW as I expect Raul Garcia to be my shadow striker but form will dictate who plays as 4 into 3 don't go with Muniain, Raul Garcia, Williams and Susaeta all able to play in every AM position.

--

TRANSFERS

I didn't sign a single player for the 1st team but I did sign a certain player which went down well with the fans - Andoni Iraola.

The 34y/o is retiring at the end of the season but as he is a club icon I decided to bring him in to help the B side out and tutor a player or two.
View attachment 100156

I signed a few regens for the U19 squad as they were a bit short but I also spent almost a million quid on 2 youngsters - Aitor Bunuel from Osasuna for £700,000 and Alex Millan from Real Zaragoza for £140,000.
View attachment 100155View attachment 100154

--

v
Sporting Gijon 1 (Cop 8)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Aduriz 29, San Jose 81pen, Williams 83)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Boveda (Yeray), Iturraspe (Rico), Benat, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz*

So my first game of my career is over and after a sticky start we emerged victors thanks to two late goals from San Jose and Williams. I am delighted with this result as we were without a few players through injury - Raul Garcia, Balenziaga and Lekue. A great start!

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Benat 11, Williams 21, Susaeta 40)
Valencia 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos (Lekue), San Jose, Laporte, Boveda, Iturraspe, Benat*, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz (Villalibre)

Wow!!! This was truly a great performance. The opener was a stunning long range free kick from Benat while the 2nd was an amazing team move finished by Inaki Williams. We also missed several other opportunities which could have made it even more embarrassing for Valencia.

--

th

OTHER NEWS

So that's the start and a fantastic one at that!!! In the Europa League we will be up against Celtic, Mainz and Aristu Giurgiu or something like that.

Transfer wise it was all quiet in La Liga - literally there was nothing of note!

th

SEPTEMBER

v
Osasuna 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Williams 14)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Boveda (Lekue), Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta (Raul Garcia), Williams*, Muniain, Aduriz (Villalibre)

Matches against Osasuna are derby fixtures as they are a fellow Basque side and we just edged it here thanks to Williams' strike. This win makes it 3 out of 3 for us and we are top after both Barcelona and Real Madrid lost!

--

v
UEFA Europa League Group C
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Benat 7, Aduriz 10, Raul Garcia 27)
Celtic 0

Lineup
- Kepa, Lekue, Yeray, Etxeita (Elustondo), Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat* (Rico), Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz

I decided to rest a few players here and fortunately the gamble paid off as we came out of the blocks on fire and scored 3 in the first half hour to kill the game dead.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Muniain 5, 13, Aduriz 45, 76, Balenziaga 46)
Celta Vigo 2 (Guidetti 9, 52)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Etxeita), Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta (Lekue), Williams, Muniain*, Aduriz

Our 100% record continues! This was a great performance and Iker Muniain scored a beauty. Balenziaga's goal was comical as their keeper went walkabout at a free kick to allow him to score into an empty net.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (San Jose 31)
Barcelona 3 (Rafinha 1, Neymar 50, 79)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga (Lekue), Iturraspe (Raul Garcia), Benat, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Aduriz (Villalibre)

This was always going to be a true test for us and it proved to be a harsh lesson. Barca were without Messi and Suarez but it was Neymar who destroyed us with 2 solo goals.

--

v
Eibar 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Benat 20, Aduriz 45, Iturraspe 46)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe*, Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta (Sabin), Williams, Muniain, Aduriz

This was a very impressive performance in a fixture that is a local derby. Iturraspe's goal was a thing of beauty as it was a great team move with rapid short range one touch passing.

--

v
Astra Giurgiu 1 (Budescu 46)
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Sabin 2, 18, 70, Rico 82)

Lineup
- Kepa, Lekue, Yeray, Etxeita (Elustondo), Boveda, Rico, Benat, Susaeta (Oteo), Raul Garcia, Sabin*, Villalibre (Vicente)

Sabin was the man here as he scored a hat-trick and assisted the other as I rested most of my first XI. The great run of form continues!

--

SUMMARY

I have got to be happy with my first full month of matches. The games came thick and fast with games coming every 3 days. During the month we had 2 derby victories, 2 wins in Europe plus a big win against Celta Vigo with the only blip being a defeat against Barcelona.

Regarding personnel the stand out so far is Inaki Williams, I had ear marked him down as my RW but with Raul Garcia out injured he has played as a shadow striker behind Aduriz and I cant see him being shifted anytime soon.

We end the month in 2nd spot and level top while my B team is also in 2nd spot. If this continues I will be amazed so I will make the most of it while it lasts.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS
View attachment 100028

--
LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 100029

Last edited:
th

OCTOBER

v
Malaga 2 (Sandro 18, Recio 86)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Aduriz 22, Williams 57)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta (Lekue), Williams, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz*

Meh. They took the lead when San Jose laboured on the ball and we levelled in similar circumstances. Williams struck for us but we conceded late on to drop 2 points.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Williams 62, San Jose 80pen)
Villarreal 2 (Soriano 40, Castillejo 60)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Raul Garcia), Benat, Susaeta, Williams*, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz (Villalibre)

I had high hopes going into this match but it wasn't to be as we fell behind by 2 goals. Fortunately we battled back to level and even though they had a man sent-off when they conceded the penalty we couldn't capitalise.

--

v
Mainz 0
Athletic Bilbao 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Yeray (Elustondo), Etxeita*, Boveda, Eraso, Rico, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Sabin, Villalibre (Vicente)

Another draw but this should and could have been better as they had a man sent-off in the first half. Hey ho.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Aduriz 45, Iturraspe 72, San Jose 78)
Real Sociedad 2 (Juanmi 22, Elustondo 82)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos (Lekue), San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat (Rico), Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz

WOOOO!!!! Victory comes here against our fiercest rivals. We went behind and crucially levelled just before half-time. Then for the 3rd game in a row my opponents had a man sent-off but this time we took advantage to score twice and despite conceding we won the match.

--

v
Atletico Madrid 5 (Griezmann 11, Vrsaljko 17, Gameiro 30, 45, 54)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (San Jose 81)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos (Lekue), San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz (Villalibre)

What the **** happened here I do not know but this was 5 going on 50 as we were absolutely terrible. NOT HAPPY!!!

--

v
Alaves 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Aduriz 38, San Jose 42pen)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose*, Laporte (Yeray), Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta (Lekue), Raul Garcia (Sabin), Muniain, Aduriz

It was imperative that we won this game after the abhorration that was our previous fixture and we did that although it wasn't pretty.

--

SUMMARY

This month had its moments but it wasn't as beneficial as the previous month. We drew a few games but more importantly we defeated Sociedad in the Vasco derby. Unfortunately that high was followed by the momentous low that was the 5-1 thrashing by Atletico Madrid.

We end the month in 4th place with a 5pt cushion over the 5th place side which is pretty decent.

Mikel San Jose was stupid in front of goal this month as he scored 4 goals in 5 appearances which is incredible for a centre half. Inaki Williams started the month well but then got injured but he is almost back!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MIKEL SAN JOSE
View attachment 99996

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 99995

th

NOVEMBER

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Villalibre 10, 84)
Mainz 1 (Cordoba 7)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue (Elustondo), Etxeita, Yeray, Saborit, Eraso (Nolaskoain), Rico, Oteo, Raul Garcia, Sabin (Seguin), Villalibre*

This win secures qualification for the knockout stages. Villalibre scored his first goals for the club which will be a massive boost for the young lad.

--

v
Leganes 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Aduriz 39)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos*, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat (Rico), Williams, Raul Garcia (Sabin), Muniain, Aduriz

Leganes are bottom of the table without a win and look doomed already but they put up a fight here against us but we prevailed.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (San Jose 44, Michel og65, Muniain 76)
Las Palmas 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat*, Susaeta, Williams (Villalibre), Muniain, Aduriz (Raul Garcia)

This win takes us back up to 2nd place. San Jose celebrated signing his new contract by scoring the opener here. Bad news though - Aduriz got injured in the 1st minute and is out for 5-6 weeks.

--

v
Celtic 2 (Griffiths 28, Dembele 85)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Sabin 50, Boveda 61)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita (Elustondo), Yeray, Boveda, Eraso (Nolaskoain), Rico, De Marcos, Raul Garcia, Sabin*, Villalibre (Vicente)

As long as we didn't get beat I would have been happy. We didn't get beat - I am happy lol.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Raul Garcia 29)
Deportivo La Coruna 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Williams (Villalibre)

A hard fought victory here which gives us 4 in a row in the league.

--

th
v
Copa del Rey 4th Round 1st Leg
Logrones 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Sabin 13, Raul Garcia 57pen)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita (Elustondo), Yeray, Boveda, Eraso, Rico, Oteo (Seguin), Raul Garcia*, Sabin, Villalibre (Vicente)

Logrones are behind my B team in their league so its no surprise that an under strength side won here.

--

SUMMARY

Any month where you don't lose a game is a good month so I am happy with how things went. We progressed in Europe and have all but qualified in the domestic cup while in the league we are sitting pretty in 2nd place.

Some other stories though. Williams and Laporte want Champions League football and I have promised them that for next year so we better not slip up! Lekue and San Jose signed new long term contracts and both the youth and training facilities are getting upgraded.

Finally. presidential elections are upcoming so who knows what that will change!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RAUL GARCIA
View attachment 99960

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 99959

640x360_261924573-athletic-granada--26-02-20172.jpg

DECEMBER

v
Athletic Bilbao 0
Real Betis 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat (Rico), Susaeta, Raul Garcia (Villalibre), Muniain, Williams

A missed opportunity here as Mikel San Jose missed a penalty in the 2nd half. Grrr.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Villalibre 30)
Astra Giurgiu 1 (Ionita 55)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Yeray (Elustondo), Boveda, Eraso, Rico, De Marcos, Raul Garcia, Sabin, Villalibre (Vicente)

I expected a victory here but we only needed a point to win the group which we achieved so I am not too disappointed.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Benat 36)
Granada 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte (Yeray), Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta (Raul Garcia), Williams, Muniain (Sabin), Villalibre

It was nice to get back to winning ways here. Once again the opposition had a man sent-off against us but we didn't add to the scoreline afterwards unfortunately. This is our 6th clean sheet in a row in the league.

--

v
Espanyol 2 (Gerard 8, 70)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (San Jose 59pen)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte (Yeray), Balenziaga (Lekue), Iturraspe, Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre

Our unbeaten run comes to an end here in controversial circumstances. We were a goal down when we scored a perfectly good goal it seemed but it was ruled out. We did level straight away but a defensive error cost us dear - that and 3 players getting injured!

--

v
th

Copa del Rey 4th Round 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Raul Garcia 65, 81)
Logrones 0

(Agg: 4-0 )

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Yeray, Boveda, Eraso (Nolaskoain), Rico, Oteo, Raul Garcia*, Sabin (Seguin), Villalibre (Vicente)

--

v
Real Madrid 3 (Ronaldo 48, 61, 89)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Muniain 50)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Williams)

Normally a narrow defeat would be relatively acceptable but they had Marcelo sent-off early doors so this was a missed opportunity.

--

SUMMARY

This month wasn't great as we stumbled a bit in the league as we only won once while in the 2 cup games we weren't overly convincing either. Hopefully we will pick up in January.

Bad news arrived at the end of the month when Asier Villalibre broke his ankle and is out for 3 months. Also Yeray is unavailable for the rest of the season due to medical reasons which was a shock.

Finally Andoni Iraola retired. He featured for my B team and did well but I thought he was due to retire at the end of the season and had planned a final swan song for him - alas it was not to be.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KEPA

View attachment 99875
he wasn't amazing but he deserves recognition after his long run of matches where he kept a clean sheet.

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 99876

Great to see you back at Bilbao mate!! I'm 5 seasons deep with Chelsea atm and finding some ridiculous regens so hoping you can develop some beasts too. They seem even better in this FM.

All the best with this save! Followed this before!

640x360_041751464-athletic-club-eiba.jpg

JANUARY

v
Copa del Rey 5th Round 1st Leg
Eibar 1 (Kike 9)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Aduriz 32)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat*, Susaeta, Raul Garcia (Sabin), Muniain (Lekue), Aduriz (Williams)

Not great but not a disaster. We certainly are not firing on all cylinders just now.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Raul Garcia 22, 29, Susaeta 26, 71, Sabin 40)
Sevilla 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte (Etxeita), Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Muniain), Benat (Rico), Susaeta*, Raul Garcia, Sabin, Williams

That's better!!! Raul Garcia's 2nd goal was a long range screamer. By far our best performance of the season so far.

--

v
Copa del Rey 5th Round 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Susaeta 45, Williams 97, Aduriz 103)
Eibar 2 (Nano 18, 113)
AET
(Agg: 4-3)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Eraso), Rico, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Sabin (Muniain), Williams

Eibar have sacked their manager since the first leg and they did ok here but when I put Aduriz on at the start of extra time they couldn't cope.

--

v
Valencia 3 (Orellana 20, Rodrigo 79, 80)
Athletic Bilbao 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Lekue (Balenziaga), Iturraspe, Rico (Benat), Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Susaeta)

We were awful here but my players are shattered and I had to rest a few but no excuses. We have lost 3 of our last 4 games in the league which is a great concern.

--

v
Copa del Rey Quarter Final 1st Leg
Granada 1 (Ponce 49)
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Williams 20, Aduriz 29, Iturraspe 45, Muniain 78)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose (Etxeita), Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat*, Susaeta, Williams (Raul Garcia), Muniain, Aduriz (Vicente)

We bounced back in a terrific fashion here as we battered Granada. Very pleased with this victory and it means I can rest a few players in the 2nd leg.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Aduriz 4, Cuellar og17)
Sporting Gijon 0

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta (Lekue), Williams*, Muniain, Aduriz

--

v
Copa del Rey Quarter Final 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 2 (De Marcos 76, Rico 84pen)
Granada 2 (Ponce 37, Ramos 39)
(Agg: 6-3)

Lineup
- Kepa, Boveda, Etxeita, Elustondo, Lekue, Eraso, Rico*, De Marcos, Raul Garcia (Nolaskoain), Sabin (Seguin), Vicente

At half-time I was a bit concerned but we stuck at it and fought back to get a draw. Malaga thumped Barcelona 4-0 elsewhere!!!

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Aduriz 3, 86, San Jose 36pen, Williams 90)

Osasuna 2 (Digard 10, Sanjurjo 68)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Aduriz*

Derby day victory here as we left it late to get it and it was important as I was involved in a war of words with their manager beforehand!

--

SUMMARY

I forgot how hectic a month January can be in Spanish football as we played 8 games during the month. On the whole we did pretty well after a shaky start and we are right in the middle of a 4 way race for the title although I don't for one minute think we can win it.

Transfer wise nothing happened. Well nothing got completed. I tried to bring in Mikel Merino but I didn't have the funds and I rejected bids for Williams, Muniain, Aduriz and Iturraspe.

Elsewhere regarding transfers Malaga sold young star striker to Bayern for £30m, Sergi Roberto left Barcelona to join Arsenal for £25m and Nacho left Real Madrid to join PSG for £16m. Not many incoming transfers at all!

Finally after the presidential elections I have a new chairman as Urrutia lost out. Hopefully I will get on with the new guy at the helm.
--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

ARITZ ADURIZ
View attachment 99235

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 99236

Last edited:
640x360_04162800_q3a4007_1.jpg

FEBRUARY

v
Copa del Rey Semi Final 1st Leg
Real Madrid 2 (Ronaldo 19, 22pen)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Williams 81)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta (Lekue), Williams, Muniain, Aduriz

I am pleased with the result and performance here as all I wanted was to still be very much in the tie come the 2nd leg. Fingers crossed! Kepa picked up a knock and will miss the next game - his first of the season.

--

v
Celta Vigo 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Susaeta 19, 42, Muniain 77)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga (Boveda), Iturraspe, Benat (Rico), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain*, Aduriz (Vicente)

Iraizoz came in for his 1st appearance of the season here and it was his 300th for the club apparently. We were very impressive here which bodes well.

--

v
Copa del Rey Semi Final 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 0
Real Madrid 2 (Ronaldo 29, Morata 74)
(Agg: 1-4)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Aduriz (Vicente)

Meh. This was a case of what could have been as we started on fire and missed several opportunities which in the end cost us. Iraizoz ****** up for the 1st goal and it was pretty much over then.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Aduriz 20, 56, Luna og51, Muniain 88)
Eibar 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Aduriz*

I cant complain here as shown by the fact I didn't substitute anyone so good was our performance. Aduriz was immense and Muniain's goal was a screamer.

--

v
UEFA Europa League 1st Round 1st Leg
Standard Liege 2 (Sa 6, Bakaj 9)
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Susaeta 36, Aduriz 37, Raul Garcia 45, Williams 48, Iturraspe 65)

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte (Etxeita), Balenziaga (Boveda), Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Williams*, Aduriz (Vicente)

After 10min I was fuming as we went 2 down and San Jose missed a penalty but then we battered them. We scored some great goals including a long range thunderbolt from Raul Garcia.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Susaeta 29, Aduriz 36, 82)
Malaga 1 (Williams og26)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Raul Garcia), Benat (Rico), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Aduriz

Another win notched up here. At 1-1 San Jose missed a penalty but from the resulting corner Aduriz scored and they also missed a penalty at 1-1.

--

v
UEFA Europa League 1st Round 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Vicente 24, 30, 68pen, Oteo 32)
Standard Liege 2 (Bakaj 6, Sa 21)
(Agg: 9-4)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Elustondo, Boveda, Eraso (Iturraspe), Rico, Oteo, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Vicente*

Once again we fell 2 behind to Liege and battled back to win. Inigo Vicente finally got off the mark for the first team and scored a great hat-trick.

--

v
Barcelona 3 (Neymar 3, Arda Turan 9, Suarez 17)
Athletic Bilbao 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Raul Garcia (Rico), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz (Vicente)

Any fanciful notions of ourselves winning the title were well and truly quashed here. We have a long way to go to be able to match the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

--

SUMMARY

I said last month was crazy with fixtures but this one was worse as it was a shorter month and we fitted in 8 games! In the league we did pretty well winning every game until Barcelona taught us a lesson. Our small title hopes have been extinguished but if we can somehow manage to finish above one of the big 3 that would be amazing.

We narrowly lost out to Real Madrid in the cup semi which was disappointing as we played well and in Europe we blitzed past Standard Liege despite falling 2 down in both games to win 9-4 on aggregate. In the next round we will play another Belgian side - Anderlecht.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MARKEL SUSAETA
View attachment 99146
--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 99147

640x360_161715153-athletic-de-bilbao-real-sociedad--16-10-20161.jpg

MARCH

v
Villarreal 1 (Jose Angel 78)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (San Jose 30pen, 62pen)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose*, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Etxeita), Raul Garcia (Rico), Susaeta, Williams (Sabin), Muniain, Aduriz

A hard fought victory here and we benefitted from their player, Mario, giving away two penalties which were both put away by Mikel San Jose.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 0
Atletico Madrid 2 (Griezmann 61, Gameiro 70)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat, Susaeta (Lekue), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Vicente)

We were poor here and never troubled Atletico. Pretty dismal tbh.

--

v
UEFA Europa League 2nd Round 1st Leg
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Aduriz 16, 51, Raul Garcia 89)
Anderlecht 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz*

I am very pleased with the margin of the victory here as it means I can rest a few players for the 2nd leg. The big derby is next........

--

v
Real Sociedad 2 (Juanmi 32, Agirretxe 74)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Benat 14)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga (Boveda), Rico (Eraso), Benat* (Sabin), Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

Derby day defeat and I am gutted. My players are shattered and in the end Sociedad made us pay. The key moment came when I subbed Benat who ended up being man of the match and we then lost our momentum. 2 league defeats in a row now.

--

v
UEFA Europa League 2nd Round 2nd Leg
Anderlecht 2 (Welthon 22, Chipciu 73)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Vicente 41)
(Agg: 2-4)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Elustondo, Boveda, Eraso, Rico, Oteo, Raul Garcia, Sabin, Vicente (Seguin)

While I am disappointed to lose our first game in the competition I am generally pleased that we have won through and that Vicente notched another goal.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Benat 1)
Alaves 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Etxeita, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Eraso), Benat* (Rico), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Aduriz (Sabin)

Benat's first minute free kick proved to be the difference here. They had a man sent-off late on.

--

SUMMARY

A tough month this as we faltered in the league by losing to Atletico Madrid and more importantly the big derby match against Real Sociedad. We also lost in Europe but fortunately we got through to the quarter finals where we will play Shakhtar Donetsk.

As for the all important intake of new youth team players my intake was distinctly average but there was one player who stood out.....
View attachment 99111

I also picked up this lad on a free transfer.....
View attachment 99109
--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BENAT
View attachment 99113

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 99114

Last edited:
looking good so far...always tempted to do a bilbao save but it's the only basque rule that puts me off

looking good so far...always tempted to do a bilbao save but it's the only basque rule that puts me off

thanks - if it wasn't for the rule it wouldn't be near as fun. try it out!

640x360_112035554-athletic.-deportivo-11-02-20171.jpg

APRIL

v
Las Palmas 2 (Vicente 65, Tana 66)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Williams 6, 89)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat (Villalibre), Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Williams*

Before the match Aduriz got injured for 3 weeks which is a major blow and with Villalibre just coming back I put faith in Inaki Williams and he did great although he was playing as an AMC when he scored the late equaliser.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Benat 23, Raul Garcia 45, Sabin 69)
Leganes 1 (Machis 90)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos (Lekue), San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat*, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Sabin), Williams (Villalibre)

This time Kepa picked up a knock just before the game arrived but fortunately he will be back for the next game. Doomed Leganes shouldn't have stood a chance and they didn't.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Quarter-Final 1st Leg
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Laporte 27, Williams 48, Benat 72)
Shakhtar Donetsk 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat*, Susaeta, Raul Garcia (Villalibre), Muniain, Williams

I am delighted both with the margin of the victory and the performance in which we put on. Laporte finally headed in his 1st goal of the season, Williams scored on a counter and Benat scored a screamer.

--

v
Deportivo La Coruna 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Villalibre 6, Williams 16, Muniain 51)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Rico), Benat, Susaeta, Williams*, Muniain (Sabin), Villalibre (Aduriz)

We relegated Leganes in our last league match and put a nail in Deportivo's coffin here. Williams was unplayable and I am pleased that Villalibre got off the mark in the league.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
Shakhtar Donetsk 4 (Taison 22, 55, 60, Bernard 70)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Rico 38)
(Agg: 4-4 - Athletic Bilbao win on away goals)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Elustondo, Boveda, Eraso, Rico, Aranburu, Seguin, Sabin, Vicente (Nolaskoain)

With a 3 goal lead I decided to rest my first team and play some backups, kids and B team players. 16y/o youth intake player Aranburu made his debut and I would have played 15y/o Jose Maria if he was eligible.

In the end we got away with it - JUST!!!! Had a few nervy moments but we managed to hold on.

--

v
Real Betis 2 (Nahuel 52, Sanabria 60)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Benat 34, San Jose 39pen)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Etxeita), Benat*, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz (Villalibre)

I am pretty ****** off that we threw away a 2 goal lead here and a win would have given us Champions League qualification.

--

SUMMARY

So the penultimate month of the season is over with and we go into the final month pretty much guaranteed Champions League football for next season and also a chance to win the Europa League.

In the league we are probably going to finish 4th which I am happy with and in Europe we are in the semis and will play Bayer Leverkusen.

A special mention has to go to Benat who won my player of the month award for the 2nd month in a row. He has been immense this month with 3 goals and 3 MOM awards.

Also this month I signed a new contract with the club and and have gone on a coaching course to improve my meagre coaching abilities!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BENAT

View attachment 99000

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 98999

Top 4 all but secure which will be nice. Have a feeling breaking into that top 3 is gonna be tougher than ever before so long as Atletico have Griezemann

decent month there ..nearly messed up against shaktar ..glad you got through...gonna be a tricky against leverkusen