Success Comes From Within - An Athletic Bilbao Story

Great story so far!!! One question.. Who do you have as HOYD?

Spain-National-Football-Team-Logo-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

SPAIN APPOINT KRIS STUART AS THEIR NEW MANAGER

I cant quite believe it!!! I applied for every international job that became available after the World Cup which was won by France and I got offered the jobs by Chile, Senegal, Russia, Colombia and Mexico.

I rejected all those as I got offered all of them on the same day and in my news feed I saw that Spain wanted me and I jumped at the chance. Brazil, England, Italy, Argentina and Germany haven't got back to me yet....

My aim for Spain is global domination but the main bonus is now that every single Spanish regen will automatically appear in my player search so that now I cant miss out on anyone for my club side!

Also as a side note they are paying me £100,000 a week which slightly eclipses my £30,000 a week salary at Athletic!

292F117300000578-3102131-image-a-30_1432914802858.jpg

PRE-SEASON

It was an interesting pre-season for sure as I signed a couple of players, sold a couple and also promoted a couple of players into the first team fold. Obviously the main thing during pre-season was my appointment as the new manager of the national team.

For the season ahead I want to win a trophy to keep my record going - which one I don't particularly care!!!

--

PLAYERS IN

My biggest signing was Pablo Hervias who joined us from Malaga for £11.25m. He scored against us last season and impressed and is technically very gifted. He will be my backup attacking midfielder as he can play on both wings and centrally.
View attachment 98022

After that it was all regens although 2 are in the first team squad. I paid Osasuna almost £3m for Unai Galdeano and he looks as though he could be a great player in both defense and central midfield. Sevilla were given £1.6m for Alfonso Ruiz and he will be my backup striker. I am really excited about this guy as he is quick and can finish. Who knows? - If Villalibre gets injured again he may get a long run.
View attachment 98003View attachment 98021

All the others were bought for small fees and will be in the U19 team.
View attachment 98020View attachment 98019View attachment 98018

--

PLAYERS OUT

Eneko Boveda was sold to Real Betis for £1.9m, Sabin went to Getafe for £1.3m and Javier Eraso went to Las Palmas for £750,000 as they were blocking the progress of some youngsters into the first team. A couple of B team players were sold and veteran Gorka Iraizoz retired.

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

Along with the aforementioned new recruits into the squad I have promoted 3 other players into the first team. Alejandro Aranburu comes up from the U19s to cover for the AMR position. Alex Remiro gets promoted from the B team to be my new backup keeper and 16y/o Ekaitz Goni is also called up from the U19s to be cover for Mikel Balenziaga at left back - Goni came in last seasons youth intake so it is swift progress for him!

--

We also had one game in August.............

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Merino 37, Balenziaga 45, Benat 56)
Alaves 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga*, Merino, Benat, Hervias (Aranburu), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

We went into this game with a few injuries - Susaeta crocked himself in his own testimonial! - but we strolled the game really. Balenziaga scoring is definitely something to saviour.

--

Finally, in the Champions League we are in a tough group alongside Arsenal, Monaco and Ludogorets

640x360_28220338athletic-club-de-bilbao---f.c.-barcelona--031-3.jpg

SEPTEMBER

v
Celta Vigo 2 (Hernandez 21, Guidetti 71pen)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Villalibre 19, 38)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat, Hervias (Aranburu), Raul Garcia (Ruiz), Muniain, Villalibre*

A decent enough point away from home and I am pleased that Villalibre scored a couple. Hopefully he can kick on now.

--

v
Levante 0
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Villalibre 14, 22, 37, Muniain 84)

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat, Hervias, Williams (Raul Garcia), Muniain, Villalibre*

Introducing Asier Villalibre!!! Lol. 2 goals in the last match and a hat-trick here it seems at long last I have a fit and healthy young striker finally realising his potential.

--

v
UEFA Champions League Group G
Arsenal 3 (Ozil 40, Mustafi 44, Lukaku 82)
Athletic Bilbao 0

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Hervias (Lekue), Williams (Aketxe), Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

I cant have any complaints here as we were rubbish and Arsenal fully deserved their victory.

--

v
Granada 1 (Saponjic 38)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Villalibre 18)

Lineup
- Kepa, Lekue, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga (Goni), Merino, Benat (Raul Garcia), Hervias, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre

This was a frustrating game where we should have own the game in the first half hour and then we just stopped playing and could easily have lost. 16y/o Goni made his debut.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Villalibre 71)
Barcelona 2 (Rafinha 10, Neymar 30)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat (Raul Garcia), Hervias, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre*

I am raging as we had a last minute goal disallowed for some reason which would have given us a point. That being said we were poor and Kepa was immense in goal for us before we got our act together in the last 20min.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Williams 7, Villalibre 16)
Elche 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Hervias, Williams*, Muniain, Villalibre

--

SUMMARY

We haven't had the best of starts tbh. We have only won 3 out of our first 6 which is a disappointment as I feel we should have another 2 or 3pts than we have. I should single out 2 players however.......

Firstly - Asier Villalibre - for 2 years he has had chances and been given lengthy runs in the side but it just hasn't gone his way and he has picked up injuries but this month he was immense as he scored 8 goals in 6 games and was amazing.

Secondly - Pablo Hervias - what a ******* waste of £11.25m!!! He has been awful and has contributed nothing. Susaeta will be welcomed back with open arms shortly.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ASIER VILLALIBRE

View attachment 97921

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 97920

--

2143797_w2.jpg

SPAIN

Nations League Division A Group 3

v
England 2 (Bellerin og37, Lallana 43)
Spain 0

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Azpilicueta, Ramos (Bartra), Grimaldo (Marcos Alonso), Koke, Thiago, Sandro, Isco, Asensio, Morata (Williams)

I don't have a Scooby about this Nations League malarkey - is it the qualifiers for the Euros? Anywho I also don't have a clue about my best XI or even squad yet. As for the game we were very poor with the only highlight being me giving a debut to Marcos Alonso

--

v
Spain 6 (Morata 2,5, 86pen, Lindelof og11, Koke 48, San Jose 53)
Sweden 0

Lineup
- De Gea, Bellerin, Azpilicueta, San Jose, Grimaldo, Koke (Darder), Saul (Roberto), Sandro, Mata (Williams), Asensio, Morata*

That's much better!!!! I gave Sergi Darder of Lyon his debut here in a much changed lineup. I put Inaki Williams on just to give him match fitness for Bilbao lol and I gave San Jose his 2nd cap and he rewarded me with a goal.

Unlucky last season mate. Barca look on fire this season too... good luck!!

640x360_1213315822.jpg

OCTOBER

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Yeray 84)
Ludogorets 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Yeray*, Goni, Iturraspe (Galdeano), Raul Garcia (Nolaskoain), Aranburu, Aketxe, Hervias, Ruiz

The backups came out to play and did the job but it took a while to get the goal.

--

v
Getafe 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Villalibre 36, 44)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe) (Raul Garcia), Benat, Hervias, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre*

Asier Villalibre's run of form continues as he has scored in every league game now apart from the 1st match. I hope the Spanish national team manager is watching lol.

--

v
Real Madrid 3 (Ronaldo 4, 24, Rodriguez 72)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Williams 49)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte (Etxeita), Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat, Hervias, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

We gave it a go here but Real showed their superiority and edged us out here and already we seem to be out of the title race. Zidane got sacked in the summer and I was linked for the job apparently although they appointed Antonio Conte.

--

v
AS Monaco 2 (Isco 22, Mandzukic 53)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Ruiz 73)

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat, Hervias (Susaeta), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

Its going to be tough to qualify now as Monaco lead the group with 9pts, Arsenal have 6 and we have 3. We almost got a point as Susaeta hit the post late on.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Villalibre 18, Susaeta 90)
Osasuna 1 (Torres 36)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos (Lekue), San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Hervias (Susaeta*), Williams, Muniain (Ruiz), Villalibre

Super Susaeta!!! He came off the bench and scored the winner in stoppage time with a fantastic strike. Always nice to win a derby game.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Muniain 9, Laporte 89)
Real Sociedad 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, San Jose*, Laporte, Balenziaga (Goni), Merino, Benat, Susaeta (Hervias), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

Two derby victories in a row!!! We were always in control and deservedly won as we pile more misery on Sociedad.

--

SUMMARY

This month had mixed fortunes. We lost to Real Madrid in the league and our defeat to Monaco gives us an uphill struggle in the Champions League but we ended the month with 2 derby victories which has me in a good mood.

Next month will be really tough as we have some really tough fixtures both home and abroad so we shall see what happens.

I completed my 2nd coaching course during the month and immediately got sent on another. Just now my highest manager stat is at 7!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN

View attachment 97117
--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 97116

--

spain-euro-2016-away-kit-14.jpg

SPAIN
Friendly

v
Spain 4 (Isco 2, Williams 10, Asensio 38, 67)
Ecuador 2 (Caicedo 53, Bernat og81)

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Ramos, Martinez (San Jose), Grimaldo (Bernat), Busquets (Saul), Thiago (Koke), Williams, Isco (Mata), Asensio*, Morata (Diego Costa)

Inaki Williams got off the mark for Spain here - yay.

--

UEFA Nations League Division A

v
Sweden 0
Spain 5 (Asensio 2, Morata 11, 24, 28, 32)

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Ramos, Martinez (Bartra), Grimaldo, Busquets (Roberto), Thiago, Williams, Isco (Mata), Asensio, Morata*

Another crushing victory over Sweden here and Morata was immense as he scored 4 goals in just over half an hour.

640x360_22174723_trf0380.jpg

NOVEMBER

v
Malaga 2 (Musonda 41, Ben Yedder 66)
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Williams 30, Merino 36, Villalibre 52, 65)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino*, Benat, Susaeta (Hervias), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre

A very good performance and a key victory considering the tough run of fixtures that we are in!

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 0
AS Monaco 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose*, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat (Hervias), Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

We really needed to win this and to be honest we should have as we created so many chances but it was not to be - need a win over Arsenal now.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Villalibre 31, Insua og48, Hervias 64)
Villarreal 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Etxeita (Yeray), Balenziaga, Merino, Benat*, Susaeta (Hervias), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre

FINALLY HERVIAS CONTRIBUTED!!!! It was a cracker of a goal too.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Williams 58, Villalibre 60, San Jose 74pen)
Atletico Madrid 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat, Susaeta (Hervias), Williams*, Muniain, Villalibre

What a magnificent performance and result!!! We absolutely battered them and scored 2 fantastic goals before San Jose converted a penalty.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Muniain 10, Raul Garcia 21)
Arsenal 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, Etxeita, Yeray, Balenziaga (Goni), Iturraspe (Galdeano), Benat, Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Villalibre (Ruiz)

WOOOO!!!! Before the game I thought our chances of qualifying were gone so I gave a few players a rest and we only went and won with another great performance. Now we need to beat Ludogorets and hope that Monaco beat Arsenal.

--

SUMMARY

I am buzzing over how this month went. We won all our games apart from one and even then we should have won that. We battered just about every side we came up against and got notable victories against Arsenal and Atletico Madrid - ****, even Pablo Hervias did something of note.

I also signed a new contract with the club with a £10k wage rise so I now earn £40k per week with Athletic and £100k with Spain.

--
PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KEPA

View attachment 97105

So many players could have got it but a run of 4 clean sheets gives it to Kepa.

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 97106

--

800px-Spain_national_under-21_football_team_2011.jpg

SPAIN

UEFA Nations League Group A Division 3

v
Spain 1 (Williams 37)
England 1 (Alli 24)

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Martinez, Ramos, Grimaldo, Koke (Roberto), Thiago (Saul), Williams, Isco (Mata), Asensio, Morata

We played well enough to win but we couldn't manage to get the winning goal. 2nd place it is - whatever that means lol

--

Friendly

v
Spain 2 (Bernat 36, Asensio 40)
USA 1 (Altidore 31pen)

Lineup - De Gea, Azpilicueta (Bellerin), Martinez, San Jose, Bernat* (Grimaldo), Busquets (Koke), Herrera, Sandro (Williams), Mata, Asensio (Merino), Morata (Diego Costa)

Thiago and Isco got injured in the last match so I called up Ander Herrera and my own Mikel Merino and they got their international debuts. A lot of players were unfit so I changed it about a bit.

Really enjoy your Bilbao stories. I've got a problem I hope you can help with. I've recently started my own game with Bilbao and playing a similar tactic but struggling to score goals which you don't seem to. What kind of football do you try to play with Bilbao? I've gone for a slow possession based game but I'm not sure it suits the attacking players.

640x360_241900211-athletic-sevilla-24-09-20162.jpg

DECEMBER

v
Valencia 2 (Barco 45, Mina 61)
Athletic Bilbao 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta (Hervias), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

And so our fantastic run comes to an end and I don't have any complaints as we were very poor.

--

v
Ludogorets 0
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Aketxe 3, Hervias 21, 46, Millan 73)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Yeray, Goni, Iturraspe (Galdeano), Raul Garcia (Nolaskoain), Aranburu, Aketxe, Hervias*, Ruiz (Millan)

We needed to win and hope that Arsenal lost and I trusted my backups to do our spart of the deal and they did fantastically well with Pablo Hervias finally beginning to show why I spent £11.25m on him. Unfortunately Arsenal won 1-0 so its Europa League football for us.

--

v
Almeria 1 (Dani Olmo 71)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Villalibre 1, Susaeta 57)

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Susaeta, Williams*, Muniain, Villalibre

--

v
Copa del Rey 4th Round 1st Leg
Albacete 1 (Gil 34)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Hervias 83, Ruiz 86)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Yeray, Goni, Iturraspe (Galdeano), Raul Garcia, Aranburu, Aketxe (Lopez), Hervias*, Ruiz (Millan)

While a win is always nice I expected a bigger margin of victory here tbh.

--

v
Sevilla 1 (Balotelli 52)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Merino 54, Villalibre 90)

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Susaeta (Lekue), Williams (Raul Garcia), Muniain (Hervias), Villalibre*

Remember when Asier Villalibre couldn't score and always got injured? Well his last minute winner was his 17th league goal this campaign in 16 appearances!!!! Williams had an early goal disallowed.

--

v
Copa del Rey 4th Round 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Galdeano 2)
Albacete 0
(Agg: 3-1)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita*, Yeray, Goni, Iturraspe (Francisco), Galdeano, Aranburu, Raul Garcia (Nolaskoain), Hervias (Seguin), Ruiz

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Hervias 81)
Real Betis 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Susaeta (Aranburu), Williams*, Muniain (Hervias), Villalibre (Ruiz)

This game was a bore with not much happening apart from Hervias scoring a fine goal late on. Betis are the surprise side of the season so this was a good win.

--

SUMMARY

We weren't at our scintillating best this month but we still did a good job as after losing to Valencia we won every match - even when I played my young guns. Pablo Hervias finally has found his game and scored some goals and put in some MOM performances.

Unfortunately we are out in the Champions League even though we did get 10pts which usually is enough and in the Europa League we will play Spartak Moscow.

One thing I have noticed and what I cant figure out is Kepa's value. He is valued at a ridiculous £850k - even less than my backup keeper yet he has been capped for Spain and has been my first choice since the start, got a long term contract and has great attributes!!

Finally a note from the national team - in the Euro qualifiers we will face Belarus, Kosovo, Czech Republic, Slovenia and the Faroe Islands.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
PABLO HERVIAS

View attachment 97076

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 97075

Really enjoy your Bilbao stories. I've got a problem I hope you can help with. I've recently started my own game with Bilbao and playing a similar tactic but struggling to score goals which you don't seem to. What kind of football do you try to play with Bilbao? I've gone for a slow possession based game but I'm not sure it suits the attacking players.

Here is my tactics..

View attachment 97074View attachment 97073

Thanks. We don't play too differently except I play with a high line to try and press the opposition more. It works against the weaker teams but I had a big loss (6-2) to Barca with Suarez catching me out from long balls. Hopefully the team just need to become more familiar with my tactic and then things will click.

I have one more question for you. How has Yeray developed for you? He looks a really good prospect on the update and I'm trying to give him some game time before his medical break.

View attachment 97060

Atletico+Madrid+v+Athletic+Bilbao+UEFA+Europa+PtsmZRbZV_Ul.jpg

JANUARY

v
Athletic Bilbao 6 (Williams 7, Muniain 32, Villalibre 33, 40, 71, San Jose 90pen)
Las Palmas 0

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Iturraspe), Benat, Aranburu, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre*

A stunning victory as we blew Las Palmas apart and Villalibre individually wrecked them with 3 goals and 2 assists - a great way to start the calendar year. Susaeta is out for a few weeks and despite Hervias hitting a bit of form I will give Aranburu a run in the side as the fixture list is pretty kind methinks.

--

v
Copa del Rey 5th Round 1st Leg
Alaves 0
Athletic Bilbao 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga*, Merino, Benat (Raul Garcia), Aranburu, Williams (Francisco), Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

I went into the game hoping for a comfortable win to allow my youngsters to take the stage in the 2nd leg but instead I got a drab no score draw. Grrr.

--

v
Rayo Vallecano 1 (Vinicius Araujo 51)
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Williams 21, Villalibre 32, 55, Laporte 42, Francisco 88)

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos (Lekue), San Jose, Laporte*, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat (Francisco), Aranburu (Hervias), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre

That's 11 goals in our last 2 league games as we put Rayo to the sword. Francisco scored his 1st goal for the club here with a fine free-kick.

--

v
Copa del Rey 5th Round 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Williams 47, Muniain 80)
Alaves 0
(Agg: 2-0)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Francisco, Aranburu, Williams (Raul Garcia), Muniain*, Villalibre (Ruiz)

It wasn't pretty and we weren't at our best but we did enough to get through.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Muniain 17, Aranburu 52)
Celta Vigo 2 (Bongonda 34, Aspas 51)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, Etxeita, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Raul Garcia (Susaeta), Aranburu, Francisco, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

I was without a few players and lost Villalibre to injury early on so I can understand why we failed to win. Aranburu got off the mark for us and Muniain scored on his 300th appearance.

--

v
Copa del Rey Quarter Final 1st Leg
Real Madrid 2 (Bale 9, Rodriguez 20)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Ruiz 33)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat (Raul Garcia), Aranburu (Susaeta), Williams, Muniain, Ruiz

I am happy with this as Real should have scored a few more than we did and Alfonso Ruiz's great finish gave us an away goal which could be crucial.

--

v
Alaves 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Muniain 45)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte*, Balenziaga, Merino (Raul Garcia), Benat (Susaeta), Aranburu, Williams, Muniain, Ruiz (Francisco)

That's 3 matches against Alaves this month and all 3 have been tight but we haven't conceded in any of the fixtures against them.

--

v
Copa del Rey Quarter Final 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Ruiz 22)
Real Madrid 2 (Rodriguez 75, Tielemans 90)
(Agg: 2-4)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, Etxeita, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Raul Garcia), Benat (Francisco), Susaeta, Williams (Hervias), Muniain, Ruiz

Oh what could have been!!! We took the lead and then Ruiz missed a sitter, Benat hit the bar and Susaeta also hit the post and missed a sitter and then they scored twice to kill us off. Raul Garcia got injured and will be out for 2 months.

--

SUMMARY

This was a busy month as we played a shed load of games, made a few forays into the transfer market, signed a key player on a new contract, sold a stalwart and got knocked out of the cup!!!

Regarding matters on the pitch - we did well enough in the league and are just in the fringes of the title race but I fear a 4pt gap between us and the big 2 may be too much. In the cup we defeated Alaves before Real Madrid turned us over both home and away.

Regarding transfers I signed 3 regens. I signed Javier Vazquez from Sporting Gijon for £1.1m. He has great mental attributes and is quick too - hopefully he will develop into a decent player.
View attachment 96877

My director of football went in for the full back Adrian Manero for £325,000 and I went along with it. I aslo brought in Claudio Salazar for £400,000.
View attachment 96879View attachment 96878

My most important signing however was the extension of a contract for Aymeric Laporte. It cost an arm and a leg and a hip and a whole lot else to sign him. His wages weren't too bad but because of me insisting on a stupidly high release clause I paid about £12m in agent and signing on fees.

Finally its a fond farewell to Ander Iturraspe. He has been wanting to leave for a wee while and when I paid all that money on Laporte's extension I couldn't really turn down the £6.75m that Stoke were offering me.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN
View attachment 96881

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 96880

Last edited:
Thanks. We don't play too differently except I play with a high line to try and press the opposition more. It works against the weaker teams but I had a big loss (6-2) to Barca with Suarez catching me out from long balls. Hopefully the team just need to become more familiar with my tactic and then things will click.

I have one more question for you. How has Yeray developed for you? He looks a really good prospect on the update and I'm trying to give him some game time before his medical break.

View attachment 1112631

He is ok for backup but yours looks better than mine. He only gets a dozen games a season but if Laporte or San Jose get long term injuries he will be straight in

View attachment 96876

athletic-bilbao-16-17-kit-3.jpg

FEBRUARY

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Aketxe 79)
Levante 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, San Jose, Etxeita (Yeray), Goni, Galdeano, Francisco, Aranburu, Jose Maria, Hervias (Aketxe*), Ruiz (Millan)

Most of my players were shattered so with Barcelona away coming up next I decided to take a risk and rest the first team basically against the team rock bottom. It fortunately worked but it took a great free kick from Aketxe to win it.

--

v
Barcelona 3 (Messi 21, Suarez 34, 46)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Williams 42)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain (Hervias), Ruiz (Francisco)

Resting my players didn't work!!! Hey ho.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Ruiz 1, 64, Benat 30, 71, Muniain 37)
Granada 1 (Saponjic 90)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat*, Susaeta (Villalibre), Williams, Muniain, Ruiz

We got back on track here with a great win and Benat was amazing as he scored 2 fantastic free-kicks. Ruiz chipped in with a double too, his first league goals for us, as Villalibre returned from injury.

--

v
UEFA Europa League 1st Round 1st Leg
Spartak Moscow 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Ruiz 8)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos (Lekue), San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat, Susaeta, Williams*, Muniain, Ruiz (Villalibre)

--

v
Elche 1 (Oyarzun 6)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Galdeano 20)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Galdeano*, Benat (Francisco), Susaeta, Williams (Aketxe), Muniain, Ruiz (Villalibre)

Disappointed to draw but I was playing with 10 men after Galdeano got sent-off just after he scored our equaliser so its an acceptable disappointment lol. How Galdeano got man of the match when he only played 34min I don't know!!!

--

v
UEFA Europa League 1st Round 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Muniain 53, Villalibre 59)
Spartak Moscow 1 (Ze Luis 71)
(Agg: 3-1)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte*, Balenziaga (Goni), Galdeano, Benat (Hervias), Susaeta, Francisco, Muniain, Villalibre

Through we go! We were always in control tbh and it was a good game to give Galdeano and Francisco more experience and improve Villalibre's match fitness.

--

SUMMARY

Not a bad month but it wasn't spectacular either. In the league we thrashed Granada but laboured in our other fixtures including a 3-1 defeat against Barcelona which all but ended our slim title hopes. The month ends us safely in 3rd place as we are 11pts clear of Betis so I will probably play my youngsters towards the end of the season.

In Europe we defeated Spartak Moscow home and away easy enough.

Mikel San Jose followed his defensive partners lead by signing a new long term contract with the club while youngsters Goni and Francisco also signed on.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
AYMERIC LAPORTE
View attachment 96820

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 96819

2017-03-18t175848z_1_lynxmped2h0gd_rtroptp_3_soccer-spain-800.jpg

MARCH

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (San Jose 12pen, Merino 27, Williams 68)
Getafe 0

Lineup
- Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose (Goni), Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino*, Benat, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

A decent way to start the month against lowly Getafe. San Jose has been in double figures for goals in recent seasons but not this season it seems as we haven't had too many penalties.

--

v
Osasuna
Athletic Bilbao (Villalibre 3, 28, Muniain 46)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat, Susaeta (Hervias), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre*

Derby day victory as we defeated Osasuna here and Villalibre found his scoring touch in the league again.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Villalibre 33)
Real Madrid 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose*, Laporte, Goni, Merino, Benat, Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre

What a win this is!!! Villalibre struck and what followed was constant pressure from ourselves and we battered them without scoring the 2nd but we kept them at bay. For some reason I couldn't make a sub - thankfully that didn't cost us!!!

--

v
UEFA Europa League 2nd Round 1st Leg
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Villalibre 26, 61, 78pen, Laporte 76)
Borussia Monchengladbach 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat, Susaeta (Hervias), Williams (Aketxe), Muniain, Villalibre*

Fantastic!!! This result means I should be able to play the kids in the 2nd leg without worrying about getting knocked out.

--

v
Real Sociedad 1 (Gutierrez 12)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (San Jose 27)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Francisco, Susaeta (Hervias), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

I am not happy here as their goal was a blatant foul on my CB and we had a goal disallowed that looked perfectly ok. FFS!

--

v
UEFA Europa League 2nd Round 2nd Leg
Borussia Monchengladbach 0
Athletic Bilbao 0
(Agg: 0-4)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita*, Yeray, Goni (Bunuel), Galdeano, Francisco, Aranburu, Aketxe (Nolaskoain), Hervias, Ruiz (Millan)

I am very proud of this result as my backups, which had 5 teenagers in the starting lineup - managed to hold a decent Bundesliga side.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Villalibre 22, 52)
Malaga 0

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat (Francisco), Susaeta, Williams, Muniain, Villalibre*

I considered calling up Villalibre to the Spain squad but decided against it - yet he keeps on scoring!!! That's 8 for the month.

--

SUMMARY

What a month this was!!! We were on form in the league as we won every game apart from a draw against our bitter rivals Real Sociedad and the highlight was the very impressive victory against Real Madrid which all but ends their title hilt and puts us in a challenge with them for 2nd place.

In Europe we defeated Borussia MGB and in the next round we will play Valencia in a tie that we better win.

Finally the youth intake - we had a lot of dross but also 3 very good looking prospects....
View attachment 96797View attachment 96796View attachment 96795

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ASIER VILLALIBRE
View attachment 96798

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 96799

--

GettyImages-539862428.jpg

SPAIN

UEFA European Championship Qualifiers Group A

v
Czech. Republic 0
Spain 4 (Mata 26, Morata 38, 41, Ramos 75)

Lineup
- De Gea, Bellerin*, Martinez, Ramos, Grimaldo, Busquets (Saul), Thiago (Koke), Williams, Mata (Ayoze Perez), Asensio, Morata

I had in mind that this would be our hardest game in the group but obviously not!! I gave Ayoze Perez his debut here as he is ripping it up with Newcastle. He got the nod ahead of Villalibre - just!!

--

v
Spain 2 (Azpilicueta 71, Koke 83)
Slovenia 0

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Martinez, San Jose, Grimaldo (Azpilicueta), Busquets (Koke), Thiago, Williams, Isco (Ayoze Perez), Asensio*, Morata

Last edited:
640x360_22174704_trf0355.jpg

APRIL

v
Villarreal 2 (Mina 52, Dos Santos 81)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Villalibre 18, 25)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Laporte (Yeray), Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Susaeta, Williams (Aketxe), Muniain, Villalibre*

We should have won this in the first half as we were 2up and hit the woodwork a couple of times - that said a 2 goal lead should have been enough!

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Ruiz 86)
Valencia 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat, Aranburu, Williams, Muniain (Hervias), Villalibre (Ruiz)

Hopefully we can chalk up another 2 victories against them this month!!! San Jose missed a 2nd minute penalty here. Susaeta has been in poor form recently so I have decided to give Aranburu a run in the side.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Quarter Final 1st Leg
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Williams 4, 29, Villalibre 40)
Valencia 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat (Raul Garcia), Aranburu, Williams*, Muniain (Hervias), Villalibre

This result should be good enough to see us into the semis. Williams was immense and his first was a great goal.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Ruiz 10, Susaeta 90)
Almeria 0

Lineup - Remiro, Etxeberria, Etxeita, Gil, Lekue, Galdeano (Vazquez), Raul Garcia (Nolaskoain), Susaeta*, Francisco (Jose Maria), Hervias, Ruiz

I decided to rest my entire XI here although Kepa got injured beforehand hence why Remiro got a debut in goal and the risk payed off. We took an early lead and then they battered us to be fair but then they had a man sent-off with 15min left and we saw it out easily.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Quarter Final 2nd Leg
Valencia 3 (Zaza 56, Caprari 76, 83)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Francisco 21)
(Agg: 3-4)

Lineup - Remiro, Etxeberria, San Jose, Etxeita, Lekue, Galdeano, Raul Garcia (Goni), Susaeta (Aketxe), Francisco, Hervias, Ruiz (Aranburu)

Threw but phew!!! We took the lead with an excellent Francisco goal and my backups were doing fine until San Jose got sent-off - just as I was about to sub him. Then the wheels came off and we just managed to hold on.

--

v
Atletico Madrid 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Muniain 18)

Lineup
- Remiro, Lekue, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino (Galdeano), Benat, Aranburu (Susaeta), Williams, Muniain*, Villalibre (Ruiz)

Atletico are down in 7th place and are having an awful season and we added more misery here as we scored with our only real attack of note. Remiro in goal was immense and almost got the MOM award.

--

SUMMARY

A decent month. In the league we did ok as we dropped 2pts as we threw away a 2 goal lead against Villarreal but on the other hand we defeted Atletico away from home and gave some youngsters a run out.

In Europe we managed to knock out Valencia as a 4-0 first leg victory was enough to see us through and in the semis we will play Southampton which is not too bad a draw considering we could have got Juventus or AC Milan.

We have 6 games next month and possibly a 7th if we qualify for the Europa League final so we have a hectic end to the season!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MIKEL BALENZIAGA
View attachment 96597
Nobody really stood out but he was solid and had a high AVR and got an assist.

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 96598

Athletic_Bilbao_2153149b.jpg

MAY

v
Real Betis 2 (Pacheco 41, Sanabria 87)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Eraso 83, Arrese 90)

Lineup - Remiro, Lekue, Etxeita, Jose Juan (Vazquez), Goni, Galdeano, Raul Garcia, Hervias (Arrese), Francisco, Cano, Ruiz (Eraso)

We had a 22pt lead over 4th place Betis so I decided to play my backups and gave debuts to Jose Juan and Cano from the start and Eraso and Arrese from the bench and it was the latter 2 who combined to score our goals.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Semi-Final 1st Leg
Southampton 1 (Gabbiadini 12)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Aranburu 90)

Lineup
- Kepa, Lekue (Goni), Etxeita, Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Aranburu, Williams, Muniain (Hervias), Villalibre (Ruiz)

Southampton are managed by Roberto Mancini who didn't like me much when he was manager of Sevilla so I was delighted to score a last minute equaliser and a crucial away goal against his side.

--

v
Las Palmas 1 (Viera 57)
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Jose Maria 27, Susaeta 41, Eraso 76, 85)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Galdeano, Goni, Vazquez, Francisco, Susaeta*, Jose Maria (Arrese), Hervias (Cano), Ruiz (Eraso)

Wow!!! My youngsters did a fine job here as we thumped Las Palmas although the key moment was when Kepa saved a penalty at 2-1. Daniel Eraso looks a player as he scored on his debut and here he scored twice on his 2nd appearance and one was a beauty from outside the box.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Semi-Final 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Ruiz 29, Laporte 80)
Southampton 1 (Hojbjerg 38)
(Agg: 3-2)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga (Goni), Merino (Galdeano), Benat, Aranburu, Williams, Muniain (Hervias), Ruiz*

Into the final we go!!! We took the lead thanks to a stunning strike from Ruiz but they quickly levelled and extra-time looked to be on the cards when Laporte struck into an empty net after San Jose's header bounced off the bar.

Juventus in the final!!!

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 0
Sevilla 2 (Vazquez 50, Balotelli 59)

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue, Etxeita, Galdeano, Goni, Vazquez, Francisco (Uriarte), Susaeta (Arrese), Jose Maria, Hervias (Aketxe), Eraso

I decided to drop Ruiz and reward Eraso with his first start here but along with every other player in the side he was disappointing.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Francisco 28, Eraso 90)
Rayo Vallecano 0

Lineup - Kepa, Lekue (De Marcos), Etxeita, Galdeano, Goni, Vazquez, Francisco*, Susaeta (Arrese), Jose Maria (Eraso), Hervias, Ruiz

The league campaign was rounded off nicely by my backups here. Supersub Eraso struck another great effort from 20 yards while I gave De Marcos 45min to build up his match fitness.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Final
Juventus 3 (Cuadrado 89, Higuaín 90pen, Hoedt 96)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Williams 6, Villalibre 69, Susaeta 120)
(AET Athletic Bilbao won 4-3 on penalties)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, San Jose (Galdeano), Laporte, Balenziaga, Merino, Benat, Aranburu (Susaeta), Williams, Muniain, Villalibre (Ruiz)

WE WIN THE EUROPA LEAGUE AGAIN!!!! What a crazy final that had me buzzing, suicidal, delighted, frustrated and in the end on top of the world!!!!

We started the game on fire as Williams put us ahead and we were cruising all through the game and when Villalibre netted it was game over. Cuadrado pulled one back and it was still all over but Galdeano pushed Higuaín in the box and it was extra-time as we conceded 2 in as many minutes.

They struck first in extra time and then I went all out for it and right at the death Susaeta stole in at the back post to take the game to penalties.

Our first penalty was missed by Benat after they scored first but then Lirola missed (which will help his cause for a Spain call up!) and then Williams, Laporte and Susaeta all scored before Khedira missed for them and that left it to young Alfonso Ruiz to strike home the winning penalty.

--

SUMMARY

A fantastic end to the season!!! We saw out the league campaign by playing my backups and youngsters and they did well - only losing to Sevilla - and there were impressive performances from the likes of Eraso, Vazquez and Arrese.

It was in Europe where the real action was to be found however as we managed to defeat Southampton in the semis of the Europa League before the crazy final against Juventus where we had it won before we threw it away just to grab it on penalties.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
DANIEL ERASO
View attachment 96561

END OF SEASON POST TO FOLLOW

Last edited:
uefa-europa-league-trophy.jpg

SEASON REVIEW

Season 3 is done and it was a highly successful one on the whole. Sure we dropped a position in the league and failed to qualify for the knockout rounds of the Champions League but on the other hand we won the Europa League and introduced several youngsters into the first team fold.

In the league we defeated Real Madrid at home and also Atletico Madrid home and away and that was the highlights. We were never really in the title mix as our so-so start came back to haunt us although we ended the season well even though I played my youngsters during the last few games.

In the domestic cup we got to the quarter-finals before Real Madrid knocked us out. In Europe we had big adventures. In the Champions League we failed to navigate the group stage despite gaining 10pts but we fell into the Europa League where we emerged victorious as Spartak Moscow, Borussia Monchengladbach, Valencia and Southampton were defeated before we came out on top against Juventus in a crazy final.

Hopes for next season? Keep on winning a trophy every season and if we can get back into a title challenge then that's even better!!!

--

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 96532

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD
View attachment 96531

Some standouts for sure - Asier Villalibre finally came of age and scored 35 goals, Laporte was immense while several youngsters came in and established themselves - Aranburu, Ruiz, Goni, Francisco and Galdeano played many times while several others got introduced.

--

MY PLAYER OF THE YEAR
ASIER VILLALIBRE
View attachment 96530

--

MY YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR
FRANCISCO
View attachment 96529

--

B TEAM

Their season hasn't finished but a top half finish is what they will settle for. Iker Hernandez, Inigo Cordoba and Peru Nolaskoain have been the 3 stars. I may actually sell a few B team stars to give some younger players more experience at the 2nd level of Spain.

--

U19s

They won the league by getting 100pts and they came runners-up in the UEFA Youth League and got to the semis of the domestic cup but they lost 2 league games which were their first league defeats since I came here. Daniel Eraso, Jose Maria, Ernesto Cano and Cesar Ruiz starred.