Suicide to be Broadcast on the Internet

ChrisBird

Reaction score
Suicide to be broadcast on the internet: Terminally ill Russian brain cancer patient to have his assisted death at Swiss clinic streamed live

Read more: Suicide to be broadcast on the internet: Terminally ill Russian brain cancer patient to have his assisted death at Swiss clinic streamed live | Mail Online

A terminally ill man with brain cancer will die in front of millions of people online this evening.

Nikolai Ivanisovich, 62, will be given the lethal injection by a doctor at a clinic in Switzerland this evening.

Website BattleCam.com, a 24/7 reality TV website where live events are regularly streamed, will broadcast his death.

article-2020285-0D38802700000578-861_468x467.jpg
Nikolai Ivanisovich, right, will be given the lethal injection tonight broadcast on a website owned by Alki David, left

The site is run by billionaire businessman Alki David, who has bought the exclusive rights to broadcast the event, according to Radar Online.
Mr Ivanisovich told Russia Today: 'I am grateful to Mr. David and his team for making this possible.
'My family will be able to live in prosperity after I pass. May God bless Mr. David for his kindness and generosity.'
Last month, a BBC documentary presented by Terry Pratchett chronicled the assisted suicide of 71-year-old Peter Smedley, which was aired in the UK and sparked controversy and complaints to the broadcaster.

This broadcast on Battlecam will stream the suicide in real-time, live as it happens.
BattleCam Operations VP Claude Haraser said: 'This is a breakthrough in consciousness on what we watch and how we watch it.'

article-2020285-0D387F4F00000578-986_468x286.jpg
Website BattleCam.com, a 24/7 reality TV website where live events are regularly streamed, will broadcast his death live

Nigerian-born Mr David, 43, is the billionaire heir to a shipping and bottle-plant empire and was last year ranked 45th in the Sunday Times Rich List with an estimated fortune of £1.15bn.
He is also an actor, who starred in British gangster thriller The Bank Job, producer and entrepreneur.

He established the BattleCam site last year famous for sponsoring the Presidential Streaker Juan Rodrigiez.
It also hosted the largest live video game audience of more than 127,000 viewers earlier this month.

Mr Alki said: 'We are creating a new form of interactive special interest with Battlecam's unique voting system. The online audience will actually vote whether they want to see the suicide or not.

article-2020285-0C8C7CE400000578-268_468x278.jpg
Almost 900 viewers made formal complaints about the programme Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die where the death of hotel owner Peter Smedley was filmed

'Projecting the moral questions that will arise from this event, I would like to add that I find nothing wrong with this at all.

'Death is a fact of life and physician assisted suicide in the United States is legal in the States of Oregon, Montana and Washington.

'Many governments throughout the Western World including Switzerland, Belgium and Luxembourg recognize the importance the right to each individual's right to end their life, free of terminal pain.'
The debate over assisted suicide has come under the spotlight in Britain following the BBC documentary last month.
Almost 900 viewers made formal complaints to the Corporation about the programme Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die and just 82 praised it.

It was hosted by novelist and Alzheimer’s sufferer Sir Terry Pratchett, who has campaigned for assisted death to be made legal in Britain.

Hotel owner Mr Smedley, gave Sir Terry and his crew permission to film the moment he drank poison at Dignitas and died shortly before Christmas last year.

His wife of 40 years, Christine, 60, was at his side.

Read more: Suicide to be broadcast on the internet: Terminally ill Russian brain cancer patient to have his assisted death at Swiss clinic streamed live | Mail Online

Disgusting imo. Currently watching the stream, but will definitely be turning it off when it gets to the suicide.

Link to the stream: Battlecam at FilmOn.com

Last edited:
so this is why all the cod kids are getting their panties in a twist on youtube.

Why is it disgusting? Publicising euthanasia and people's right to choose is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

What the ****. I went on and saw a skype convo lol. :pBut I think assisted suicide is wrong as later on it could have implications on the person who assisted. Really they have killed someone. It could have mental implications.

Why is it disgusting? Publicising euthanasia and people's right to choose is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

It's just my opinion; I don't want to see somebody die. Didn't say it was a bad thing. And I hate the whole idea of the website, but that's a different subject.

Hm. Hardly something I'd watch, but I don't see too much wrong with it being broadcast. The man who bought the rights is happy, the man who's dying is happy, and anyone who wants to watch it does so for free, and thus they're happy.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

What the ****. I went on and saw a skype convo lol. :pBut I think assisted suicide is wrong as later on it could have implications on the person who assisted. Really they have killed someone. It could have mental implications.

Well that's for them to decide, surely. They know the risks, yet it's a job like any other. They're paid to assist the suicide of another, someone who wants to die with dignity. Far better than being a soldier, where you're paid to end the lives of others who want to live. And calling assisted suicide 'killing someone' (and I'm talking about the connotations, not the term technically) is pretty farcical, since they want to die.

It's just my opinion; I don't want to see somebody die. Didn't say it was a bad thing. And I hate the whole idea of the website, but that's a different subject.

don't watch it then...

Better than knowing you're forcing the person you love to live a life of pain until they die 'naturally'.

Tbf if they're doing themselves fine, but lets put it this way, I wouldn't want to assist someone.
Also with your army point, soilders are meant to kill criminals (thats for another thread loooooool)

I generally thought I was a bit sad for playing football manager for a few hours a week but these guys actually have no life. The joke wasn't smart and it was in no way funny, **** right discusting in fact.

Tbf if they're doing themselves fine, but lets put it this way, I wouldn't want to assist someone.
Also with your army point, soilders are meant to kill criminals (thats for another thread loooooool)

They would be doing it themselves, but they're incapable due to illness. Though, if not for the illness they wouldn't be suicidal. Who are you to decide who lives and dies? I'd rather live knowing I helped someone with what they desperately wanted. I'd rather see someone in serenity than pain also.

Soldiers kill who they're ordered to. Look at the amount of civilian casualties.

Couldn't really care less, known about this for weeks now due to the random link between this and Call of Duty commentators on YouTube.

Not something I'd watch, not because I don't support euthanasia (Because I do), but because it just sounds so dull. Rather watch Gilmore Girls tbh.

I said I wasn't going to watch the suicide?

Then why are you complaining? It doesn't affect you in any way at all.

Well, I'd be at peace with myself for helping somebody end their life with dignity rather than suffering through their last moments.

And lol. Soldiers aren't meant to kill criminals at all. Soldiers are meant to be the hammer to the politicians' soft words, for better or for worse. With the Iraq situation, it was hardly a case of killing criminals foorr graet justis, more like pandering to the Americans.

Then why are you complaining? It doesn't affect you in any way at all.

Well, I'd be at peace with myself for helping somebody end their life with dignity rather than suffering through their last moments.

And lol. Soldiers aren't meant to kill criminals at all. Soldiers are meant to be the hammer to the politicians' soft words, for better or for worse. With the Iraq situation, it was hardly a case of killing criminals foorr graet justis, more like pandering to the Americans.

Never said it did, did I? I was simply stating my opinion, hardly complaining.

I would very much prefer to be euthanised than to have my family deal with my terminal disease. I admit this may be a rather awkward and maybe even disturbing event, but nobody is forcing anyone to watch - and if it helps raise consciousness regarding euthanasia, then it's very much welcome. However, that's a collateral effect. It's primary aim, as pretty much anything in this system, is to raise... funds. Which ****** me of, making money out of someone's death makes me sick, honestly.