[Tactical Discussion] Plug, Manage and Play

do you still have a TT&F that you'd be willing to share? I have tried to find it online a fair few times but been unable to.

do you still have a TT&F that you'd be willing to share? I have tried to find it online a fair few times but been unable to.

Actually I do. It's from 2009 (Jeez where has time gone) but funnily enough when you have a glance through it a lot of it is still very relevant.

Actually I do. It's from 2009 (Jeez where has time gone) but funnily enough when you have a glance through it a lot of it is still very relevant.

Amazing mate. Thanks very much. Like I said been after a read of this fir a long time.

Perfect Tablet/Bog reading :D

read it lol.

will read it a few more times i suppose. It'd be good if a modern version was published with the current tactic system in mind for newer players who didn't have sliders to help understand the mentality systems.

how goes your testing?

justified i can try with FC Porto in Portugal if you want. I don't promise to go through all season 'cause I don't have much time to play, but what I like the most in recent versions of the game is to emulate reality and test some concepts. So if you want, I test with FC Porto, not a whole season (at least not a whole season in 1-2 weeks) but I play the game almost in its full lenght

read it lol.

will read it a few more times i suppose. It'd be good if a modern version was published with the current tactic system in mind for newer players who didn't have sliders to help understand the mentality systems.

how goes your testing?

Well TT&F what written in a time where sliders was well too confusing for newcomers to the game. If you've been around as long as I have you'd experienced arrows/barrows and wibble/wobble times which made the game fun but again made no sense to newcomers. Nowadays I think anyone can pick up the game and at least understand the labeling of each instruction. Sure they have no idea what's going on under the hood but if you're not a mechanic, what's the point looking under the hood in the first place?

Almost done with my first season, 7 or 8 games left to go so I'll update tomorrow. 1 major conclusion of playing attacking week in and week out. It's too naive away from home. I don't think any results I have tomorrow will make me change my mind about that so that'll need to be addressed. At home it blows most teams away. It's difficult to say though because half of the season was me tweaking the tactic as I went along. I'll be posting my end of season review tomorrow with any tactical changes I'm going to be making heading into season 2.

justified i can try with FC Porto in Portugal if you want. I don't promise to go through all season 'cause I don't have much time to play, but what I like the most in recent versions of the game is to emulate reality and test some concepts. So if you want, I test with FC Porto, not a whole season (at least not a whole season in 1-2 weeks) but I play the game almost in its full lenght

Any feedback at all is appreciated. I'll put you down for Porto!

Do not take it too serious 'cause i still haven't played a game, but jut by looking to the formation and settings:
it's perfectly well balanced! the winger on the right on support give widht and create space for the right CM who attacks the space, and the IF on attack on the left seizes the passing skills of the DLP, like that!
One question, why do you not set up the PI "shoot less often"? even the full backs don't have it ticked... do you want them to shoot or something?
I repeat, i've not tried it yet... but my opinion on F9 is without that option ticked, he will shoot a lot, from afar and that's a waste (regarding the player you have there). Gonna try now, but everything seems fine to me! thank you ;)

Do not take it too serious 'cause i still haven't played a game, but jut by looking to the formation and settings:
it's perfectly well balanced! the winger on the right on support give widht and create space for the right CM who attacks the space, and the IF on attack on the left seizes the passing skills of the DLP, like that!
One question, why do you not set up the PI "shoot less often"? even the full backs don't have it ticked... do you want them to shoot or something?
I repeat, i've not tried it yet... but my opinion on F9 is without that option ticked, he will shoot a lot, from afar and that's a waste (regarding the player you have there). Gonna try now, but everything seems fine to me! thank you ;)

Originally when setting it up I had Work Ball Into Box I felt like the amount of long shots was ok. It's worse when WBIB is unticked, even with shoot less often the players seemed to shoot more.

The problem I want to try and avoid is players trying the more difficult instead of a shot when maybe the shot was actually the best option. I think it's interesting that you picked up on the one thing which'll be the most troubling developing this tactic. Long shots. Because it's an attacking mentality the players first thought is attack. Long shots + Attack seems to be hand in hand. It's something I'm monitoring at the moment. So far I'm satisfied with WBIB and nothing else. I will be testing shoot less often with WBIB too. As for the fullbacks, they rarely get that far forward. They hold the width and only overlap if the ball is near them and the winger has drifted in.

Last edited:
Wouldn't adding "Run at Defense" shout reduce the long shots? From my previous saves it seems to help with making the attacking 3rd line players try to dribble in in closer before shooting. But you would need some good dribblers in your attacking positions.

Wouldn't adding "Run at Defense" shout reduce the long shots? From my previous saves it seems to help with making the attacking 3rd line players try to dribble in in closer before shooting. But you would need some good dribblers in your attacking positions.

I could try that however I think theoretically that'll mess up the AMR. If I had two attacking players on the flanks that'd probably work.

I could try that however I think theoretically that'll mess up the AMR. If I had two attacking players on the flanks that'd probably work.

Couldn't you just give that W(S) individual instructions to stay wider and dribble less? or to cross more often.

Last edited:
Couldn't you just give that W(S) individual instructions to stay wider and dribble less? or to cross more often.

By default you can't change those. A winger (S) has to have stay wider, dribble more and cross often selected already. Also combined with WBIB I think RaD combined with that would be an Arsenal type of "try and walk" the ball in. I'd say maybe having the F9 on Shoot Less Often would be a good shout, unless the other positions have players with PPM's "Shoot from Distance" I'd probably leave them as is. The DLP has Shoot Less Often as role instruction so the odds he'll have a pop is small. That leaves only the MC(a) and flank players. I think I could live with that.

I really like adding "shoot less often" to every player role on the pitch that I can. it tends to move the ball almost always being worked into the 6 yard box before anyone takes a shot and if someone gets a pass at that distance its really easy to score. Also I think its important to have the tradeoff between width and congestion between total football and the great wall of italy.

The f9 will only shoot too much from distance if he has no options to pass too. Adding shoot less often won't help with this. So long as your runners are close enough to him and getting beyond into the space made by him dropping deep it won't be an issue.

I really like adding "shoot less often" to every player role on the pitch that I can. it tends to move the ball almost always being worked into the 6 yard box before anyone takes a shot and if someone gets a pass at that distance its really easy to score. Also I think its important to have the tradeoff between width and congestion between total football and the great wall of italy.

I don't think it's wrong to set shoot less often but the important thing is to find out, why are they shooting often? Callamity explains that below.

I can test with Stoke City...

Done! Good Luck!

The f9 will only shoot too much from distance if he has no options to pass too. Adding shoot less often won't help with this. So long as your runners are close enough to him and getting beyond into the space made by him dropping deep it won't be an issue.

Bang on!

What about more risky passes on PI? By default only the DLP (and the F9 i think) will try that often, and I like it that way. But why not on other players from midfield forward?

What about more risky passes on PI? By default only the DLP (and the F9 i think) will try that often, and I like it that way. But why not on other players from midfield forward?

Well those two roles were obvious to have Risky Passing. The more attacking midfielder is there to break on into the box and run from deep. The two flank players are there to add width or run with the ball into the box etc. The only role I'd consider would maybe be the AMR as he ducks in and out of the 3rd and 4th line due to being on support. I'll have a little tinker.