ZvSwf2u.jpg

-Striker gets isolated
-Defence are useless, get passed straight through
-Wingers take random unrealistic shots when crossing is the better option

TACTIC 2

iaSvPUM.jpg

-I want strikers to play one two balls between themselves, never happens
-Defence are useless as said above

Also, how do I turn a game around? It seems that if I have less possession in the first 10 minutes I can't get the possession back no matter what I do.

Basically, I can't win games in the Skrill Premier even though all my players are very good standard. If you can suggest anything (or even a completely new tactic) I'm all ears

Tactic one - No one protecting the defence, since the BWM will stay too high up the pitch, try switching it to CM-D. All 4 of your attacking players on attack duty, no movement from deep, far too predictable.

Tactic two - Same issues with the BWM, you only have two players who are going to sit really. Again, same issues with the attack. Wouldn't advise two CWBs with no holding midfielder.

It's generally not advised to have both strikers on attacking duties (Trequartista excluded), because it's very one-dimensional. Did you read the description of what a poacher does? Did you watch him play? A poacher doesn't really get involved in build-up play, so if you want two strikers passing to each other, a poacher isn't the way to go.

It's also not generally advised to have all 4 defenders on defend duties. They'll be very flat and open to through balls, especially with no midfielder protecting them.

As Crane said, the BWM/D is a bad idea in both tactics.

a6WQ85x.jpg

-Morias is a DLP support so that he can kind of drop deeper into the space where I don't have an AM
-The FB's are support because I didn't know what else to put them
-Mitter is DC 'Cover' because he has insane pace and strengh so I thought he'd be good to sit back and cover through balls.
-Should Shulton be an Attacking Playmaker on attack to move into the empty space?

khRzOFJ.jpg

-Didn't want both the wingbacks on defense, but didn't know what to put them on
-Mitter covering once again
-Couldn't really change much with the Wingers as they are left and right foot only respectively , meaning they can't play inside forward.
-Shulton on support maybe?

What about these?

Also, any help with the player instructions? What are good generic things to put?

Last edited:
Thus far we (Skrill Premier side) have drawn 0-0 with League 1 side Cheltenham and lost 3-4 to League 1 side Northampton Town using the two striker tactic. I think this means that this tactic is a heap better than my past tactic.

go to guidetofootballmanager.com, tactics section, and learn how to combine roles....if you are bent on playing wider, give your CD's stopper duties so they close down empty space between them and sidebacks. And give them some help with a Sweeper keeper or a half back. If you intend to hassle, you will tire out your players, so make the pitch smaller by pushing up. It will also help your stoppers make a foul further away from goal

Using my two striker tactic, I commonly get about 40% possession, a loss, a useless defence, but normally more CCC's.. any help is welcome.

Using my two striker tactic, I commonly get about 40% possession, a loss, a useless defence, but normally more CCC's.. any help is welcome.
Out of interest, where are you predicted to finish this season?

Edit: also, is the 4-2-4 your main tactic?

Last edited:
Out of interest, where are you predicted to finish this season?

Edit: also, is the 4-2-4 your main tactic?

I'm predicted to finish 16th. At the start of the year I had 7 players that were considered 'Leading' quality for Skrill Premier, but since they are all playing **** they have all gone done to 'Good' standard. Basically, I have 15 players that are 'Good' standard, so I have no idea why I should currently be 14th.

And yes, it's my main tactic. If you'd like to suggest what I should go with then I'll do it.

Okay, you're predicted to be mid-table and that's where you are. That's not too bad. You're going to get slaughtered using this tactic though.

- You realise that the formation you set is the defensive formation? That brings up problems already. Because your two central midfielders aren't next to each other, but behind each other, it's going to be a nightmare to defend even against normal 4-4-2s with 2 CMs.

- By doing what you did, you're also making the massive gap between AML/AMR and DL/DR even bigger.

This could work going forward, since you're a lower mid-table team and there will be space to exploit, but the defensive problems outweigh the little you have going forward, imo.

- The W/S (AMR) will be okay as long as he just runs and put crosses in. He doesn't have any other real options, apart from just passing it back to the DLP/S. On the other side, the AP/A is going to get the ball and drive down the line, again putting crosses in. In both cases, they will have only the AF/A really to aim for as it will more than likely be on the counter attack. In normal build-up play, you're not going to create much unless that AF/A is a beast in the air.

- Don't expect possession from this tactic either. This isn't the formation/tactic to do so. The LD/D will just clear the ball instead of keeping possession and your front 4 will get separated from the other 6.

I would recommend you rather scrap this tactic completely. You have a better tactic in the 4-2-3-1 (or 4-5-1 as you call it) to start from.

Just something to keep in mind again:

- Maybe put Sheehan (DL) on a support duty to at least be a passing option going forward.

- Could Kennedy (DR) play an Attacking role? FB/A perhaps? It would help create overloads and an overlap on that wing with the Winger on a support duty.

- To cover for a marauding Kennedy, switch your two midfielders. Let the Anchor Man be a DMCR instead of DMCL and the DLP be a MCL instead of MCR. The Anchor man will then protect the space Kennedy leaves going forward.

- I'm not 100% sure AP/A is the best role for the setup you have now, but keep an eye on it. Having an AP/A means that the team will look to give him the ball a little more (as he's a playmaker) and he'll run with the ball often, looking for through ball opportunities. He might not have many options though. The AF/A will obviously be one. Maybe the W/A on the left too? Watch your games to see.

- Hassle Opponents is going to be a dangerous instruction. It sets your closing down to the maximum. This might cause you problems. You AML, AMC and AF/A (and to a degree, the W/S) will already not drop back very much, so the remaining midfielders will lose shape easily, imo. Keep an eye on this too. On Standard mentality, the closing down is "Average". If you want a little more from the forwards/midfielders, ask them individually to close down more or change their roles to Ball-Winning midfielder/Defensive Forwards/Defensive Wingers etc.

If you're going to not use either tactic as you "main" tactic, rather use a "default" formation and tweak your roles and instructions as you want. Creating your own formation, such as that 4-2-4, can work, but you really need to know what you're doing to make it work. Use a 4-4-2 maybe instead of the 4-2-4?

Last edited:
I also noticed that in the screenshots your tactical familiarity is only half. That will cause some problems too if that's a recent screenshot.

And yes, it's my main tactic. If you'd like to suggest what I should go with then I'll do it.
I've already given you my thoughts, but the more I look at that 4-2-4, you could probably achieve what you wanted with a "normal" 4-4-2. It obviously depends how you want to play and where your team's strengths and weaknesses are.

I'm sure you also know this, but even with improvements, none of these tactics will be "plug and play". You will need to make the odd change in a match depending on the opposition formation, how they're playing, who's having a bad game etc.

I also noticed that in the screenshots your tactical familiarity is only half. That will cause some problems too if that's a recent screenshot.

The screenshot was from early pre-season.

I know that nothing will be plug and play, I just want a tactic that allows my team to play how they should, which definitely isn't 14th.

4byl1VT.jpg

I tried to incorporate all of your advice. Is this any better?

I tried to incorporate all of your advice. Is this any better?
It's better, but now I'm worried about it going forward. Only the AF/A will be a regular goal scoring threat and you're limiting the AP/A's options even more.

Put it this way, generally, who do you want scoring your goals? Who will supply it?

Play Wider will focus your passing down the flanks. Is that what you want?

It's better, but now I'm worried about it going forward. Only the AF/A will be a regular goal scoring threat and you're limiting the AP/A's options even more.

Put it this way, generally, who do you want scoring your goals? Who will supply it?

Play Wider will focus your passing down the flanks. Is that what you want?

Generally I want my Striker, AMC and AML doing the scoring? I guess the whole attacking midfield (AML, AMLR, AMC) doing the assisting?. I have no idea why I have Play Wider on.

Basically I just want a generic 4-2-3-1 that will be okay in defence and okay in attack. If you recommend which roles to use that would be great.

2lrAuNL.jpg

Using this I didn't get a shot for the entire game with 55% possession.

Is your aim possession or goals? Did you watch the match? What did you see? Why did you choose the 4 Team Instructions that you did?

Aim is goals. I chose them randomly as I've just been experimenting with different things to see how my team plays.

I watched a bit of the match. It was just my team passing very slowly and then it normally ends with my Wingers getting isolated, pausing and getting tackled. I didn't see a lot of the striker or the MC. On the defence side of things the opposition seemed to find it easy to just get behind my defence at every opportunity. I don't really know what to do about these problems.

Aim is goals. I chose them randomly as I've just been experimenting with different things to see how my team plays.

I watched a bit of the match. It was just my team passing very slowly and then it normally ends with my Wingers getting isolated, pausing and getting tackled. I didn't see a lot of the striker or the MC. On the defence side of things the opposition seemed to find it easy to just get behind my defence at every opportunity. I don't really know what to do about these problems.
Well, you're going to slow things down by passing out of defence. It also conflicts with the Limited Defender role, so I'm not sure why you have that selected?

So you saw them passing the ball slowly, whatever that means, so what did you do about it? Most of these problems can be solved by watching the match and just thinking about it a little.

The Fullbacks might help your winger, especially on the right, but dropping deeper will create an even bigger gap between them.

Experimenting is all well and good, but you need to at least know why you select instructions.

Which formation did the other team use?