I'll also add that your AMC will be hovering outside the box a lot. He won't be a regular goal scoring threat. Your AMR (W/S) is also not getting much support.

I'll also add that your AMC will be hovering outside the box a lot. He won't be a regular goal scoring threat. Your AMR (W/S) is also not getting much support.

What I meant by passing slowly was my players always took 5+ seconds before passing the ball.

So basically, there is no certain improvements I can make? It isn't the kind of thing where changing my Winger to attack (random unrelated example) will improve the flow of my attacks? Is it all just basically trial and error?

What I meant by passing slowly was my players always took 5+ seconds before passing the ball.

So basically, there is no certain improvements I can make? It isn't the kind of thing where changing my Winger to attack (random unrelated example) will improve the flow of my attacks? Is it all just basically trial and error?
No. Random changes is what you're doing. You're not thinking about anything and I'm not here to spoon-feed you.

If your W/A is too wide, then play narrower or use an IF/A. Isn't this obvious?

The AMC will just sit outside the box, like the description says. Did you read it? He might make a late run into the box, if there's space. At the moment though, you only have the AF/A providing any threat and he's staying central he's not pulling any defenders out of position and no-one else is joining him in the box. At the moment, no-one really will because he just stays central and you don't have any aggressive attacking duty roles to charge into the box either.

You seem to try something, make random changes and then lose interest. You did that in an earlier thread here and on SI. You were on your way to getting decent help over at SI, but then stopped posting. Same with the earlier one here. Stick with something to try and understand the formation.

If you're just looking for a tactic because you're not bothered, there's a download section here for that.

I'll rather link you to these again, because you're not even doing the basics:

How to Play FM14: A Twelve Step Guide

Pairs & Combinations: The Complete Series

EDIT: Read the role and duty descriptions. Get an idea of how you want to play and then try to implement that. Then watch the game to see if it happens the way you want it to. If it doesn't, ask why.

Last edited:
If you're just looking for a tactic because you're not bothered, there's a download section here for that.

I'll rather link you to these again, because you're not even doing the basics:

How to Play FM14: A Twelve Step Guide

Pairs & Combinations: The Complete Series

EDIT: Read the role and duty descriptions. Get an idea of how you want to play and then try to implement that. Then watch the game to see if it happens the way you want it to. If it doesn't, ask why.

Will do.

Sorry if it sounded harsh, but you're the only one seeing the games. Those guides (although not the only way to play) are very good and will ensure that you get the basics right at least. Any additional problems can be dealt with then.

Sorry if it sounded harsh, but you're the only one seeing the games. Those guides (although not the only way to play) are very good and will ensure that you get the basics right at least. Any additional problems can be dealt with then.

Working through the guides and trying to create a tactic I'm happy with now. Reading through the 'Pairs and Combinations' you linked me, what does 'High Block' and 'Low Block' refer to defensively?

Working through the guides and trying to create a tactic I'm happy with now. Reading through the 'Pairs and Combinations' you linked me, what does 'High Block' and 'Low Block' refer to defensively?
It's just another way of saying High D-Line and Low/Deep D-Line.

It's just another way of saying High D-Line and Low/Deep D-Line.

After reading the links you've posted i've had a crack at creating a 4-1-2-2-1 based formation that looks like this:
View attachment 349553

with the instruction set :
View attachment 349551

i've found out that playing at home , with counter set has my philosophy i can squeeze out results, i've beaten PSG , drawn with Monaco and Bordeaux and beaten FC Lorient(topping the league) but once i play weaker teams at home, i'm not sure how to play, counter doesn't seem to work too well.

Do you have any general advice or tweaks that could be made to the formation/shouts i've laid out?

After reading the links you've posted i've had a crack at creating a 4-1-2-2-1 based formation that looks like this:
View attachment 659027

with the instruction set :
View attachment 659032

i've found out that playing at home , with counter set has my philosophy i can squeeze out results, i've beaten PSG , drawn with Monaco and Bordeaux and beaten FC Lorient(topping the league) but once i play weaker teams at home, i'm not sure how to play, counter doesn't seem to work too well.

Do you have any general advice or tweaks that could be made to the formation/shouts i've laid out?
It's up to you. Use it and see if you run into problems. I'll say one thing though, it's TI overload! Did you just randomly add TIs?

Counter against the weaker teams isn't the problem here. How will your goals come? Is the AP/A the main creator? If he is, why are you trying to play down the wing with TIs? Who's making runs into the box? Who will be the main goal scorer(s)?

It's up to you. Use it and see if you run into problems. I'll say one thing though, it's TI overload! Did you just randomly add TIs?

Counter against the weaker teams isn't the problem here. How will your goals come? Is the AP/A the main creator? If he is, why are you trying to play down the wing with TIs? Who's making runs into the box? Who will be the main goal scorer(s)?

I've changed a bit since i posted the screenshot and have had better results. The AP was going to be the main creator, but i didn't realise playing wider meant that it would limit his ability, i thought it would stretch the opposition more to give him some space, i've changed my TI's too this:
View attachment 349475

and my player roles to this:
View attachment 349474

I still have alot of TI's if not more, but this is how i'd like them to play, I switch Run at Defence, and Pass into space , depending on the D-line the opposition are using.

I didn't randomly add TI's , just picked what i thought would instruct my players how to play. My Strikers aren't the most clinical so i'm hoping for my 2 Inside Forwards will chip in ( which they have) along with my AP( not so much).

At the minute, things are going fairly well. RC Lens are predicted to finish in 19th but i'm 10th as i'm posting this.

Is it better to adjust my mentality based on my opposition (e.g Attacking mentality against weak opposition) or should I always keep the mentality the same for the tactic?

Is it better to adjust my mentality based on my opposition (e.g Attacking mentality against weak opposition) or should I always keep the mentality the same for the tactic?

Vague answer coming: You could do well enough by keeping your mentality the same, depending on what it is, of course. Adjusting it can also work.

Been happy with how my team is going since I bothered to put the effort in.

Been happy with how my team is going since I bothered to put the effort in.
If you're doing well, don't change too much. Obviously if you spot something, make the change.

If you're doing well, don't change too much. Obviously if you spot something, make the change.

What causes having more possession but conceding 4 more CCC's than the opposition in a half?

Last edited:
What causes having more possession but conceding 4 more CCC's than the opposition in a half?
My guess, counter attacks, but you're the one seeing the matches?