Tactical Tom's career from humble beginnings to hopefully Uncle Carlo

calciotom

Reaction score
Hi all long time reader and fm player since fm14 ive only just upgraded from fm15 to fm19 im playing on a mac and taken ages to update my os to a suitable level. So im pretty familiar with the fm setup but may take a while to get used to the new features. Mostly im just happy to be playing with an up to date database.

First started playing as my beloved Juventus five years ago ( I was brought up in the uk in the 90s so football italia was my thing and the black and white of Nedved, Del Piero, Thuram, Zambrotta, Conte, Davids, Trezeguet made an impression on me) but found it too easy the same goes later on with Napoli, Roma etc I quit roma 3 years in as they got a case of loseritis i couldnt explain every game was 60 plus possesion and 25 shots on target to under 5 shots against but somehow we still drew kind of like real life roma. So i switched to relegation threatened Southampton and saved them, and then got them into the europa league the next season.

I then got inspired by reading these fmstories and decided to start unemployed and with the lowest qualifications, i started of with Benevento half way through the season in serie c c saved them into 12th started another season came second and won the playoffs into serie b then the next season recruited well and got promoted to into serie a got half way through the next season and got approached by Palermo so took the job they were lying in 19th but i got them to 12th in the table employed well again and won the coppa italia and finished in 9th getting me in to the europa league. Currently in my 3rd season and got approached by ac.milan but decided against as their previous manager signed to many flops so to much work to do in my opinion.

that was all on fm15 btw

so now a fresh challenge to match the update to fm19

Im a hands on manager so i will be taking control of everything including youth teams. I will be starting off as a sunday league no experience coach with no team and a 27 year old english italian and aim to match or exceed Carlo Ancelotti's managerial haul with all the top 5 leagues

So ive started off with a leaning towards being a tactical coach, the juventini in me would be so proud.

Funnily enough the league started off on my real life birthday. I will be applying for all any jobs and have all the top south american, american, asian, and european leagues.

So on with my journey. And check out my profile.

attachment.php

1st of august stil no job

Its the beginning of August and still no luck on the jobfront

Ive applied for everything even the north korea job lol. Allegri has taken the vacant from day 1 real job and conte has returned to Juventus

Heres a list of rejections so far not including jobs i have declared interest in but no applied for

- Lokeren Belgium
- ATG Brazil
- Nexaca mexico
- Vancouver canada
-Hauchipato chile
- Tigres, Mexico
-UTC
-Fortaleza
-Shangang china
-Liverpool di motivideo
-Santiago wonderers
- oes
- Fuli Guangzhou
- Torque
-Tianjin
-Cerro
-Cristal

Gotten fed up of the fans laugh off tom collier speculation so going on holiday for a month i wanted a pre-season because i think its important but its not gonna happen

Will update soon

Last edited:
Its the beginning of August and still no luck on the jobfront

Ive applied for everything even the north korea job lol. Allegri has taken the vacant from day 1 real job and conte has returned to Juventus

Heres a list of rejections so far not including jobs i have declared interest in but no applied for

- Lokeren Belgium
- ATG Brazil
- Nexaca mexico
- Vancouver canada
-Hauchipato chile
- Tigres, Mexico
-UTC
-Fortaleza
-Shangang china
-Liverpool di motivideo
-Santiago wonderers
- oes
- Fuli Guangzhou
- Torque

Gotten fed up of the fans laugh off tom collier speculation so going on holiday for a month i wanted a pre-season because i think its important but its not gonna happen. Oh but it just did i got a job offer from Coquimbo Unido. I will have an interview but im holding out for a better team.

So as this has happened i will take a week holiday instead

Will update soon

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
September

September

and they rejected me but ive been offered a job with celitto. They havent offered me a wage or transfer budget so this may be tricky

attachment.php

and another rejection again my interview was fine but they decided to go another direction

But another job with santiago morning hopefully 3rd time lucky tho id still prefer a european third tier team

attachment.php

and boston river

attachment.php

and ive been offered the santiago job and i will take it hopefully it will only be for one season before i find a bigger club thats it for september

Last edited:
October first job - welcome to santiago

Welcome to Santiago Morning

Club de Deportes Santiago Morning was founded in 1903 in Santiago de Chile. The founding members were mainly students of the University of Santiago, who initially called their club Santiago FC.
The club kept this name until the year 1936, when they accepted the still valid club name CD Santiago Morning. The renaming was justified by a merger of the Santiago FC with another capital club called Morning Star. Still under the old name of Santiago FC, today's Santiago Morning was a founding member of the Chilean Primera División in 1933. In general, the club, which calls Deportes Magallanes as its main rivals,
was one of the most successful teams of the first hour of the Chilean football clubhouse. However, Santiago Morning won only once the championship of Chile. In the 1942 season, they took first place with a point
in front of Magallanes. Two more times, CD Santiago Morning was Chilean runner-up, in the years 1939 and 1941, respectively, the second place in the table was reached.

Before i was asked to take the job i was tasked to review my staff i decided they were all fine for the meantime
my assistant manager is a woman too which should be interesting

attachment.php

here is my squad my thoughts tommorow

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

First match and i absolutely battered them

First match
Santiago Morning 5 Cobresal 0

attachment.php

So i took a very brief look at my squad and decided because i have not a single winger and 7 strikers crazy right im going to have to play a 442 diamond if i feel its. game i can win and a 3412 set to catennacio if i feel its a game that will be tight or to avoid embarrasment however i decided to go for the 442 even though this was the 3rd place team who really i shouldve lost to. However i saw we hadnt done well with the 3412 previously so thought id go with the more risky formation, they went 433 so really should have demolished us on the flanks however we thrashed them.

I only saw two threatening moves from them and then we hit them on the counter and long ball before getting a pen both strikers scored with one ending a goal drought so i think i will be sticking to this formation one of my full backs got injured though so thats a loss

Santiago Wonderers 2 Nublense 1

attachment.php

Hard fought win against mid table rival i stuck to the 442 diamond and it just about payed off, they dominated which was to be expected but we got off the mark first with a nice header from my cb then they equalised with a similar move. Before i subbed on a striker and he hit a cushioned volley.

Last edited:
November

Its actually October so my bad... I arranged a friendly as their was a 15 day gap this gives me an opportunity to test out fringe players and also keep my main players match fit.

Santiago Morning 4 Guaymallen 1
attachment.php

attachment.php

So i started my fringe players and up until half time when i put my starting xi on it was 1-1 level but then we score some bangers and had a goal disallowed for offside.

Santiago Mourning 0 Union San Felipe 0

So my first draw unfortunately. It was a tight game were we edged possession and shots but were lucky to see the opposition have a goal ruled out for offside

attachment.php

In addition weve officially escaped relegation ive employed severall staff and am looking at a 35 year old dm/cm from argentina. Unfortuantely ive lost my star lb to a free transfer but on the plus side the club have agreed to fund my coaching course.

Deportivo la serena 2 Santiago Morning 1
attachment.php

So my first loss which was entirely unfair they got two goals in the last 5 minutes including one from a a bad pass from my gk
we were cruising into a hard fought 1-0 untill this point so that sucksI will be dropping my gk as i needed an excuse to play the younger gk with higher potential anyway

Last edited:
November

November last match of the season and were in 10th with the possibility to get upto 9th.

Santiago Mourning 2 Deportivo Valdivia 1

attachment.php

attachment.php

We were not at the races to begin with, despite dominating possession we conceded but shortly after the break changing striker and am we scored two goals the first a cut back from the byline to shoot from the d and then a deflected effort.

So thats the end of the season and considering we started in 15th and ive got us up to 8th not too bad but not excellent either. However this is the first time ive played with the new interface, and tbf i dont like it i think the fm15 interface is better im not too impressed with the updates to fm, its also a poor squad in my opinion with aging players, mercenarys and 7 strikers no wingers and 5 full backs

attachment.php

January transfer window

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So this is my transfer window it mainly involves replacing lost players and strengthening my depth options. Ive also improved my cb ratings and dm mid and am options

Last edited:
My squad for the 2020 season

attachment.php

This should be my strongest starting xi we now have two four star cb instead of a load of threes and ive also recruited a 3 star 21 year old with potential of four and a half i may switch to a 3 man defence to see his potential grow. Cleberson is a 32 year old brazilian cb with a decent history. and he should prove a calming influence on my younger chilean and star potential argentine 19 year old cb. My younger keeper with potential starts over the vetaran both with 3 star ratings. Parry is a 3 star ability 4 star potential 21 year old rb and starts ahead of my 28 year old haitan ade.

Caceres starts at with strength in depth with another brazilian Paulinho whos rated at three stars. Gomez is on loan and will be my starting dm Caceres and my mid signing castano can be rotated.

Castino is another 39 year old brazilian but he was still rated at 4 stars and on a free and i my other cm option is only two stars so he will rotate with castino and gatica.

Gonzalez is a high potential enganche and will be rotated with another brazilian enganche Ronny. I also have aravena for this position whos decent potential too

and i largely resigned my loan strikers as well as signing a argentine 21 year old with high potential on a free
attachment.php

This is the 3 man defence formation for use against stronger opposition away or to develop my cb signing.

And below is my full squad.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Pre Seasoon

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

So we started off with 4-0 win against our youth team before a credible 1-1 draw with General Velasquez and followed that up with a 2-1 loss to Recoleta then another 1-1 draw against union la celera and another loss to curacave so not a great pre-season but i remain hopeful as if you go by stats we were really unlucky and the results were largely against the run of play

February and the start of the season

attachment.php

So we started off with a hard fought 1-0 win against Meilipilia and with only 32 percent position but all the shots just proves possesion is great and all but its what you do with it a header from my rb froma cross.

attachment.php

Then to continue against Curico whose last match was a 6-5 win we hammered them 4-1 the scored first and i was expecting to loose but then we hit them on the counter again and again as well as a pen. I was expecting a strong attacking performance from the opposition so went with my 3412 cattenacio and it paid off My 19 year old cb signing Mancilla had another great match but it was really the strikers who pulled it off after i told them and the mid i was expecting more of them and to show some passion

attachment.php

Then an unfortunate draw, We played well but couldnt hang on.

attachment.php

And a poor loss

Last edited:
March

attachment.php

And a great performance two counters and a curler from the edge of the box

attachment.php

And another difficult win, we were poor and didnt muster up much fortunately my vetaran striker was clinical

attachment.php

Difficult draw we were down a man for a half so in the end probably the right result

attachment.php

And another difficult battle to be expected really as it was 2nd against 3rd and the win sees us go 3 points clear of second

attachment.php

And a really poor performance 2-0 defeat were our keeper was the best player says it all really

Last edited:
March and April

attachment.php

And another poor performance looks like we starting to hit a mid season drop in form.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
June second round of cup competition

So we got in to the second round of the chilean cup competition and its delivered a tricky tie against top division Palestino

attachment.php

Another disappointing performance, with only the defense excelling but we got a result against a top tier side. On to the second leg.

attachment.php

And we beat them 2-1 again thanks to my veteran striker. Great result against a tough side and we get another in universad de catolica

attachment.php

Its a credible 2-1 away loss to a stronger team.

attachment.php

Now the disappointment were out of the cup competition but we met expectations and bow out to a top division team they dominated us so alls fair.

`And thats the end of June see u in a month as theirs a domestic break.

Last edited:
End of July/ August

During this period is also a limited transfer window which restricts teams to no more than three transfers. Ive got a promising young cb in on loan and depth mid from my affiliate Colo Colo.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And ive got some free transfers for young talent in the cf and dm departments lined up for next year.

Just saw this guy is available for 5k hes 25 chilean and 4 and half stars so had to snap him up. He is a decent top flight dm so we will be signing him to hopefully stay in the top division if we manage a promotion this season.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And its a goalless draw

attachment.php

And a 3-1 draw we smashed them.

attachment.php

And a 1-0 loss the the current league leaders.

attachment.php

Another 0-0 draw

Last edited:
August/October the club changes hands

So a local investor has bought out the club and invested 250k in to the club this hasn't changed the transfer budget or wages and they havent mentioned anything about bringing in a new manager so looks like im safe.

attachment.php

And its a 2-2 draw 5th against 9th. Its a shame as we dominated and really should have put our chances away. I may have to look at my stikers playing instructions as their being terribly wasteful.

attachment.php

So we lost 2-1 away to the league leaders. It was evenly contested so a draw would have been nice but it will have to do.

attachment.php

Finally we return to winning ways albeit with the help of an own goal.

attachment.php

And another win it was 5th against 2nd and we absolutely smashed them.

attachment.php

And ive been offered a new contract they only offered me a 1k rise and a year extension but i managed to squeeze another 5k out of them i also asked for a improved transfer budget and they agreed, however they rejected my demand to borrow another teams training facility.

attachment.php

And its a 1-0 loss to i believe our city rivals it was an equal match so a draw would have been fairer.

October

So its october and theres a 15 day break. Ive given the team a 3 day break and asked to be sent on another training course for my b grade license the club have accepted in the meantime ive set up a difficult tie against top tier colombian team Nacional i wanted to test the team and also it was the highest earner.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And its a decent goalless draw against a top tier columbian side pretty good solid defensive work really tbh. Im really impressed with my two argentine 21 year old cb's

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So we finish in fifth and the second to last play off spot. We were predicted to finish in 4th by the press so i think ive done a pretty good job. We will aim to gain promotion via the play off's it will be difficult but doable

attachment.php

Last edited: