August Results

Unfortunately due to my other business obligations I was unable to attend the next few matches, one of which was our second game of the season at Old Trafford, a match I was deeply upset I missed. We had really done well over all in the month of August and I was absolutely delighted with the way the team had performed up until now.

Results

View attachment 235237

View attachment 235236

View attachment 235235

Each result, even the loss against Chelsea was well received by the fans. The team had performed well overall, especially in the 2-1 win away to Manchester United, a game that although we may not have deserved to win, we showed great guts and determination to hold out for the 3 points. Despite the gulf in class between ourselves and Crewe being so vast, we still handled the expectation very well and sealed our path through to the next round. Lastly was the loss to Chelsea, a game that we surely deserved more from, I spoke to Steve after the game and he was very proud of the boys for their performance and as the stat's show, he had every reason to be, I cannot fault them for their efforts.

League Table

View attachment 235224

Top 5 Performers

View attachment 235225

September

So far things had not gone our way in September, despite our victory in the Capital One Cup, I was very disappointed with the teams efforts this month and we now have three defeats on the trot in the league. I wish I could at least say that we deserved more from the matches at West Ham and Everton, but we didn’t. I am very concerned with the lack of possession in particular, we certainly need to work on this and this is something I will be discussing with Steve shortly, especially as we have a big game against Arsenal in the league coming up for our last fixture of September.

Meeting Notes

Attendees

MB – Matt Bullard
SM – Steve McClaren

MB – Steve, thanks for meeting with me, don’t worry this isn’t a bollockin, I just wanted a quick chat about what improvements I would like to see going into October.

SM
– Yeah no worries Matt, I was expecting this to be honest, I think I know what you’re going to say.

MB
– Ok well let’s do this differently, how do you think the team need to improve? Where do you think things are going wrong?

SM
– Well to be honest, I can’t put my finger on the reason but we still seem to lack a bit of cohesion, we have the talent but the players don’t seem to be on the same wave length, I am happy with all areas on paper, individually they have the strengths needed for their position but it’s just not clicking.

MB
– I couldn’t agree more, but what are you going to do about it? I understand its early in the season but it can’t continue indefinitely.

SM
– I am working very closely with the team and me and Roundy are working night and day on this, things will improve.

MB
– Ok Steve, well listen, Arsenal this weekend is a massive game as you well know and their passing game is something to aspire too, maybe we would learn a thing or two. I will be there on Sunday, I want to see a better performance ok?

SM
- Sure thing Matt, I’ll let the boys know you will be there.

Great start, Shame about the 3 defeats on the belt though!! Upset is on the cards V Arsenal!! I can sense a Perez double!

Newcastle Vs Arsenal

Arriving at the ground the mood was very different from the opening day of the season. Whilst the fans were still feeling hopeful, that optimism had been dented slightly by recent results and visit from the Gunner to St James’ was probably the last thing they would have wanted. As luck would have it though, Arsenal were having a worse time of it then we were going into today’s match, sitting in a lowly 13th place with just four points on the board, some would say there would never be a better time to play Wenger’s men.

I am delighted with this result, it changes the whole complexion of the month. Whilst I was still not happy with what I saw in regards of team cohesion and possession, but our counter attacking play was very good and the defence were outstanding against an unusually quiet Arsenal side, Chester and Caulker keeping the likes of Sanchez and Ozil at bay all game with a fantastic high line. Great result and it gives the club a big lift going into October.

League Table

View attachment 235208

Great start, Shame about the 3 defeats on the belt though!! Upset is on the cards V Arsenal!! I can sense a Perez double!

Not quite that emphatic but a great result all the same! We haven't quite made the start I was hoping for but I have faith in Steve to keep pushing on. We only seem to be able to perform against the big teams!

October

The win against Arsenal at the end of September clearly gave the team the lift they needed to improve results. October has been an absolutely fantastic month, seeing the team achieve a 100% record in the league as well as continue their impressive run in the Capital One Cup with a win against a very good Southampton side. There have definitely been improvements in the teams possession game, I am very happy with the management of the club at this stage and I hope we can really kick on from here and build on this superb month.

As was fully deserved for the teams performances this month, Mr McClaren picks up his first Barclays Manager of the Month award for the month of October and I believe it is fully deserved. I am very grateful for the work he and his team have put in so far and I hope this will be the first award of many.

November

I was delighted with our 5th consecutive league win against Palace, confidence was high and we were playing some good football, so you could imagine my shock when I watched the Swansea game from the comfort of my private jet. We actually did not deserve to lose the game and I spoke with Steve shortly after and made let him know that I wouldn't hold this result against the team, it happens in football. We put in a great performance against Man City despite the result and then we finished the month off with a good 3 points away to QPR.

League Table

View attachment 234952

Whilst I am delighted with our league position going into December, its clear to me that goal scoring is something we will need to drastically improve on if we are to cement our place in the top 8, I will be setting up a meeting with SM shortly to discuss possible targets up-front for the January window.

Finance Review

View attachment 234947

I would like to sign a top class forward in the window so I may look at injecting some cash into the club and upping the transfer budget, it will all just depend on how the conversation goes with Steve.

Top Scorers

View attachment 234946

I think these stats tell the whole story, it actually amazes me that we have managed to do as well as we have without a recognised scorer in the team. I am a big fan of Ayoze and believe he should be played in a more central role but Steve feels he is more effective on the wing. If Steve cant make the right decision for the club, I may have to intervene and bring in a goalscorer myself.

Definitely lacking an out and out scorer there! You got any potential targets in mind? Nice to see us sitting 5th too! KIU!

Definitely lacking an out and out scorer there! You got any potential targets in mind? Nice to see us sitting 5th too! KIU!

Cheers matey. Well I think I am going to let Macca make the call, surely he must recognise we need to get someone in, if he hasn't made any adequate signings come the end of the window then I may step in.

At the moment I have a few targets, Kevin Gamiero being a main one, possibly Raul Jiminez who is transfer listed for £4m. Will wait and see what Stevie can do.

December

I am relatively happy with December on the whole, all though had we lost in the Tyne-Wear derby the month would not have looked so positive. We started the month off well with two fantastic back to back wins, the first being in the home derby, a match we controlled. The second was at away against high flying Liverpool, I visited Anfield for this match and I have to say I was very impressed with what I saw, our counter attacking game was very impressive and Ferreyra and Ayoze’s partnership looked sharp. We then went on a three match losing streak, the loss to Hull being a particular disappointment as they sat near the foot of the table, I spoke with Steve after this match and told him that if we are to grow as a club then results like this need to be cut out, we lost the next game at home to 14th place Saints, however I am glad we finished December off with a win in the league against a confident West Brom side. One huge highlight for us was the massive win in the Capital One Cup Quarter Finals, now seeing us through to the Semi’s against Liverpool. We have already surpassed the target set at the beginning of the season so whatever happens I am proud, however a cup final appearance would be massive and a fantastic achievement in our first season.

League Table

View attachment 234111

We are still sitting in 5th place thanks to the competitive nature of the league at the moment. Some stand out under performers at the half way stage being Arsenal, Southampton and Tottenham. Over performers definitely being Burnley who sit just three points away from a Champions League spot. We have still not drawn a game yet and our GD is still at zero, its a strange season but I wouldn't have it any other way at St James', I just hope Macca can make the right calls in January.

Balance
End Of December

View attachment 234110

Balance is still looking healthy, I will look at increasing the Trans. Budget slightly and giving Steve some free reigns as I want us to really push on for the European spots. As previously mentioned, I am going to let the manager sign the players he sees fit, however I will be having a meeting shortly and I will make it clear that if come transfer deadline day I do not see adequate signings I will be investing my own personal cash on a Forward with an eye for goal.

Other News

View attachment 234109
This is good to see, I am glad Macca is getting the plaudits he deserves.

Mid-Season Review Meeting

MB – Good morning Steve, thanks for attending today’s review meeting. First of all I would like to start by saying that in general, I am very happy with the overall standings in all competitions, we are so far achieving all that has been targeted and I cannot complain on that front.

SM – I feel there may be a ‘but’ coming..

MB – Yeah, whilst 5th in the league is a very good achievement and a place in the Semi’s of the Capital One Cup is again brilliant for this club, I am still not filled with confidence, it will only take a few bad results and we slip into the bottom half, we have no main goal scoring threat and at times our defending can still be woeful despite our investments. What plans do you have for the January window? How will you look to change things over this vital period?

SM – I have to say I disagree with you, I think the team have put in some fantastic defensive displays at times and as for a main striker, I rotate our front man a lot and we have goals coming from all positions, Ayoze and Facunda are doing well at the moment.

MB – Steve do not bullshit me, if you look at the top half of the league at the moment, we have the second worst goal-scoring record, the joint second worst defensive record and ultimately the second worst goal difference, we are hanging in there by the skin of our teeth and I want more. I want improvements, not to be spoon fed **** with a **** shaped shovel.

SM – Ok Matt, I am sorry. I was just saying that I know that this is a good team and we just need a few further tweaks to really be at our best.

MB – I am not doubting that we have a good team and as I said I am happy with the league and cup standings so far. I am just concerned about the performances and I haven’t seen much in the way of change. I want you to sign a real goal threat, if you can’t do that then I will need to step in.

SM – I will certainly look Matt, I do think that we have enough options though..

MB – Steve, let me stop you there, I want a goal-scorer, go out and get one… Listen, I don’t want to seem like I am being unreasonable but we are in a great position here and we could potentially finish the season in a better one, I don’t want us to let this chance slip.

SM – I understand Matt, I will get looking straight away.

FM 15 First For Me..

Awards Update

View attachment 233998
I have never seen this before, first season and there is no Messi or Ronaldo in the top 3 of the World Player of the Year awards.

View attachment 233997

What's even weirder is that whilst Ronaldo only makes the bench of the Team of the Year, Messi isn't even included and neither is Alonso despite being voted the worlds best player..

January - Part One

A bizarre result in the league against Leicester which saw us dominate possession but have 11 shots less than our opposition, I was very disappointed once again with the lack of fire power and we clearly lacked urgency against what was a 10 man team for two thirds of the game. Our FA Cup exit was also bitterly disappointing, especially considering we were knocked out of the competition by a side struggling for form in the Championship. A bad start to the month so far but Macca is busy working with the scouts looking to bring new players in, I hope to have signings confirmed sooner rather than later.

Transfer Update - One In, One Out

Transfer In

View attachment 233988

Whilst Neil is a good player and will be first choice, I am starting to lose confidence in Steve's ability to make the correct decisions in the market. We are in desperate need of a forward and possible another central midfielder and he signs another left back, we now have Haidara, Vangioni, Dummet and Taylor.

Transfer Out

View attachment 233987

Jak is a great lad but will never be good enough for the first team, so I was happy enough with this sale

January - Part Two

I have made a concerted effort to clear my schedule for all my other business interests in January to ensure I was free to focus solely on Newcastle. I attended the Manchester United game and was delighted with the turn around after such a poor display in the FA Cup just a matter of days before. I was extremely pleased with the result, we battled for every ball and really gave a good account of ourselves. Unfortunately this was not to be the case at Stamford Bridge in our next match, Chelsea were unplayable throughout most of this match and to be honest showed us up for the average side we often can be. I did speak with Roman during the match and the possibility of a loan deal for former player Loic Remy was discussed at length, maybe that could be an option for us. Lastly was the 1st leg of our COC Semi-Final tie against Liverpool, I felt as if we was really unlucky in this game, we controlled a lot of the game and created some good chances but ultimately it came down to our killer instinct once again, it is going to be really tough to turn this around in the return leg at Anfield.

Transfer Update

Transfer In

View attachment 233976

View attachment 233975

Whilst I am happy that Steve has finally recognised that we are in need of more attacking options, I am yet again left unconvinced that Ryan will provide the goals or assists that we so desperately need. My knowledge of the player is very limited to his Liverpool days and Steve has assured me that he knows the player well from his time in Holland and he will be an asset to the club.