Taking Derby back to the big time...

Hope so mate! I told the board I was aiming for a top half finish again, but really the target is play offs again. Hopefully without the heartache this year!

August

Derby County 2 - 0 Bolton Wanderers
(Coutts, Hendrick)
MOTM - Richard Keogh

If Bolton finish anywhere near the play offs I will be amazed: they really were dire. And for three quarters of the game, we were struggling to see them off. But midfield maestro Will Hughes broke through with 20 minutes remaining to tee up Paul Coutts, before substitute Harry Forrester got to the byline down the left hand side and pulled back for midfielder Jeff Hendrick to rifle home from close range. A good performance, we worked hard and broke them down in the end.

View attachment 366245

Derby County 3 - 1 Milton Keynes Dons - Capital One Cup First Round
(Ball, Bennett, Baxter)
MOTM - Mason Bennett

Put out my back up side and they proved their worth in an easy victory over League 1 MK Dons. Mason Bennett was the star, with a goal and 2 assists, but I was pleased for Callum Ball to grab a goal, and Baxter's was a cracking 25 yard effort. A good, solid performance and it's refreshing to know I have quality back up players in reserve! We've been drawn away to another L1 side in Leyton Orient for the next round…

View attachment 366247

Training ground injuries for Valentin Gjokaj and Harry Forrester. Gjokaj sustains a broken nose following a robust challenge and is out for 2 weeks, as is Forrester with a sprained wrist. Paddy Madden is back in training following a pulled hamstring and hopefully he'll be in line for his debut at the weekend.

Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 3 Derby County
(Russell, McKay, Ball)
MOTM - Will Hughes

Brilliant performance to atone for the 4-1 thrashing they gave us at the back end of last season. Will Hughes played a pinpoint pass for Johnny Russell to race on to and smash home his first of the season from outside the box, before Mason Bennett won a crucial header to set up Billy McKay for his first of the season with a sweet volley. Late on, substitute Max Power played in fellow substitute Callum Ball with a lovely weighted through ball, and Ball raced clear to rifle in a low finish into the far corner for the game. Great performance from the lads, it's been a good start.

View attachment 366248

Derby County 1 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
(Hughes)
MOTM - Will Hughes

Hughes delivers again, earning us a point against Wolves. We should've won this game though, we had enough opportunities so it's a bit of a missed chance. A point keeps us unbeaten though, so it's been a decent start to the season.

View attachment 366249

Leicester City 2 - 2 Derby County
(McKay, Jacobs)
MOTM - Will Hughes

Fairly even game that they perhaps shaded, so I'll take a point. We scored two good goals and Will Hughes is just getting better and better. Defensively we were pretty average but Leicester are a good team and I'll be surprised if they're not in the promotion picture come the end of the season.

View attachment 366250

Leyton Orient 0 - 2 Derby County - Capital One Cup Second Round
(O'Brien, Ball)
MOTM - Mark O'Brien

Two of Derby's own came to fore and grabbed goals as we eased past L1 side Leyton Orient. Hardly a vintage performance but Ball finished well one on one again and O'Brien grabbed his first goal in a competitive Derby fixture from a corner. All in all a solid performance. Paddy Madden made a second appearance off the bench as he approaches a return to full fitness.

View attachment 366253

Kieron Freeman sustains a strained wrist in training - he's the second player this season, there must be something wrong there…he's out for 2 weeks.

The Capital One Cup pits us against the might of Liverpool at Anfield in the Third Round…can't wait!

Peterborough United 0 - 2 Derby County
(Gjokaj, McKay)
MOTM - Valentin Gjokaj

Against the newly promoted side, we came up trumps. We didn't really have to play all that well and it was a comfortable performance. Gjokaj and O'Brien were excellent at the back and this reinforces my belief that they could become the long term pairing at centre half for me.

View attachment 366254

Player Of The Month

Got to be Will Hughes! Started the season on fire for me, 3 MOTM displays in 4 appearances and a goal as well. He is brilliant and only going to get better. Scary to think how good he'll be in 2-3 seasons time!

Overall, an excellent month. Progress in the cups, lots of goals, unbeaten in the league and sitting pretty in second. Madden is yet to get off the mark, but he's also yet to start a game because of the form of Ball and McKay, so it's not surprising. Power has a had a quiet start here too, but Baxter would surely have added to his goal and assist had Will Hughes not been in such incredible form and he'd been able to force a start. The other summer signings have all been decent - McGivern's an important part of the back line, and McKeown has performed well when he's played, same with Robinson. Bond looked good in both cup games, and Forrester had a good start before injury halted his progress. Look forward to seeing them all in a couple of months once they've all settled in!

View attachment 366256

Haven't played any games in September so far so it's just the one month update today! Hope you're enjoying it!

Sorry mate, been pretty ill recently, in and out of hospital and the like. I'll try and do another update early on in the week, I'm pretty knackered right now though!

Hi mate, about to start a Derby game myself. What formation do you use and to what extent have you incorporated Bennett. Also, what do you play hughes as, AM or CM? Cheers :)