A pair of crunch clashes in the FA Cup 6th Round, as we travel to the Etihad to take on a revitalised Man City, whilst Chelsea host Liverpool in another clash of the giants. The remaining smaller clubs must be hardly able to believe their luck! We’ve trounced all three of our FA Cup opponents 4-0 so far including Man United. Doing the same to their neighbours is a tall order, and I’d take any kind of win.

English Premier League - Game 27 - Everton FC (Away)

It’s fair to say that Everton have been this season’s biggest underachievers. They have an excellent squad but have languished in the relegation zone for most of the season. I’m in no mood to help them climb out of it. The same lineup that caned Man United last time out takes the field today. It’s Gitschier’s 125th league appearance for the club.

It was Gitschier who almost put us in front in the 16th minute as Gasperoni made a rare burst forward to one-touch Asensio’s pass into him, but KSG made the save.

In the 59th minute Sindelar was fouled just outside the right hand edge of the box. Asensio curled the free kick into the box, where Sindelar met it with a cracking half-volley at the penalty spot, which took a wicked deflection off the knee of Gitschier and into the net!

Candreva was on for Doebel in the 66th minute.

Vietto and Prins replaced Sindelar and Wellington in the 75th.

In the 87th minute we opened them up on the counter and the best player on the pitch, Asensio, should have killed the game, but failed to beat KSG.

23 key passes between my two best attacking midfielders, but just the one goal. It was enough though!

POM: Marco Asensio (9.0, 0G, 0A)

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round - Second Leg - Feyenoord Rotterdam (Home)

The second leg against Feyenoord today should be nothing but a formality. A rotated lineup should see us over the line and into the Quarter Finals comfortably.

In the 2nd minute Rodriguez brilliantly nutmegged his defender on his way to the box, but blasted narrowly wide.

Jacobsen cut back from the byline in the 21st minute before sending a dipping shot agonisingly high.

In the 32nd minute Vermeer actually had to make a save, denying Jacobsen from a good position at his near post.

In the 38th minute we were stunned, as Van Aanholt’s throw was headed on by Shadrach, and Benschop beat Burtic in a footrace to the ball, slotting it past the keeper to give Feyenoord a shock lead.

Within seconds of the kickoff we were forward, and Prins’ diagonal ball found Candreva, who was denied at close range by Vermeer.

In the 56th minute we finally had ourselves a goal, as a low cross from Candreva picked out Jacobsen, who half-volleyed emphatically past Vermeer.

Vietto and Amrani replaced Persson and Candreva in the 63rd minute.

Two minutes later Miguel sped to the byline and sent a short cross to the near post. Rodriguez met it with a header, which beat Vermeer, then hit the inside of the post and the back of the unfortunate keeper, rebounding into the net for an own goal!

In the 68th minute Jacobsen weaved through four defenders as he made his way from the left touchline to the box, but saw his effort thunder off the crossbar! So close!

Velchev was on for Süle in the 71st minute.

Not the best performance, but we got the job done, thanks to good performances from Jacobsen, Prins and Rodriguez. On to the next round!

POM: Dario Rodriguez (8.6, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 28 - Burnley FC (Home)

With a trip to Man City to come in just 3 days time, half of today’s lineup is rotated with that match in mind. I’m confident that this side can get the better of a much weaker Burnley outfit.

Chambers teed up Asensio just inside the box in the 19th minute, but the Spaniard somehow sent his shot wide.

Asensio then sent a delicious ball into Sindelar’s path in the 39th minute, but it was the striker’s turn to fire a wayward effort off target.

In the 55th minute I witnessed the most unbelievable failure to score I’ve ever seen! Chambers’ low cross into the 6 yard box was struck straight at the keeper from point blank range by Gitschier. It went straight back to him, still 2 yards out, and he hit it back into the keeper. It then hit the inside of the post and fell to the other side of the goal, where Sindelar had an open net from 2 yards - and hit the keeper again! And it wasn’t done, as it fell back to Gitschier, this time a mammoth 3 yards out - and you’d never have guessed, but he hit the keeper once more! It was then cleared. Truly unbelievable.

The culprits Gitschier and Sindelar were replaced by Prins and Vietto in the 61st minute, Gitschier with what I believe is a career-worst match rating of 6.0.

In the 66th minute it finally happened for us, as Wellington set Chambers free in acres of space down the right, and his low cross to the back post was easily tucked away by Rodriguez.

Amrani came on for Ward-Prowse in the 72nd minute, shifting Prins back into midfield.

We won in the end, but we certainly made things difficult for ourselves. I’m genuinely concerned about our clash with Man City. This kind of performance won’t get the job done, particularly given the Citizens’ January influx of world class players. Chambers, Wellington and Dimarco were all excellent today, whilst Asensio and Rodriguez were also solid, along with both young centre backs.

POM: Calum Chambers (9.0, 0G, 1A)

Well the gods are certainly smiling on us in the year’s Champions League, as we receive the best possible Quarter Final draw. Celtic aren’t a pushover, having knocked out a Dybala-less Juventus side on penalties after two goalless draws, and have a number of dangerous players, but they’re definitely the weakest side on paper left in the competition. Meanwhile Bayern, after edging Liverpool, have to take on reigning champions Barcelona.

FA Cup - Quarter Final - Manchester City (Away)

A massive FA Cup clash, as the winner will have a significant chance of going on to lift the trophy. Man City made some massive signings in January, and Pavon in particular has hit the ground running, with 5 goals in his first 5 appearances for his new club. Barbosa scored a brace on debut but hasn’t scored in 10 matches since. It’s more or less our strongest side that lines up at the Etihad against the Sky Blues. City beat us last time we faced them, back in December.

It took just 15 seconds for a Barbosa effort to ricochet perfectly for Sterling, but Sterling being Sterling, he shot straight into Dragowski’s arms.

In the 10th minute Sindelar was denied twice in 5 seconds by Hart, firstly from Doebel’s first time through ball, and then from Gitschier’s cutback off the rebound. Excellent keeping, but he should have scored.

In the 33rd minute a City corner was headed on by Pavon, and Galloway’s effort was brilliantly saved by Dragowski, and Dimarco cleared. Superb reflexes!

In the 62nd minute it was Barbosa who opened the scoring with a first time rifle from inside the box.

Vietto replaced Sindelar two minutes later.

Candreva and Ward-Prowse replaced Asensio and Gasperoni in the 73rd minute.

In the 76th minute a brilliant switch of play from Doebel allowed Nishimura to first time a cross in for Gitschier, but the German was denied by Hart! The flag was up regardless.

Our quest for a domestic Cup other than the Community Shield will continue into next season, as Man City clinch another narrow 1-0 victory over us. We had the better of the play, but couldn’t fashion enough chances to get the job done, despite the best efforts of Doebel. Typically, the opposition keeper won Man of the Match for making a handful of outstanding saves. And of course Barbosa ended his scoring drought, stretching back to his Man City debut two months ago. None of my strikers seem to be scoring at the moment either, which is a concern.

POM: Joe Hart (Manchester City - 8.3, 4 Saves, 0 Conceded)

Best Southampton Player: Sven Doebel (8.1, 0G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 29 - West Ham United (Away)

West Ham are a decent side, but nonetheless, one we should be beating. Just one change from the side that lost to Man City, as Nishimura leaves early for international duty.

In the 7th minute Chambers’ cross was poorly dealt with, and Wellington brought the attempted clearance down, before picking out the bottom corner! His first ever competitive goal for the club!

In the 23rd minute Wellington skinned his man before cutting the ball back to Chambers, who passed inside to Asensio. The Spaniard’s shot found the net to double our lead!

Christensen escaped unmarked to get on the end of a 25th minute free kick, but Dragowski denied him from close range.

Two minutes later Wellington was again the provider as he picked out Sindelar in the area, but Boucher made a quality save.

In the 31st minute we suffered a blow as Dimarco was forced off by injury. Miguel was his replacement.

Jacobsen replaced Doebel in the 68th minute.

Prins was on for Gasperoni in the 74th.

Wellington’s excellent game was tarnished in the 83rd minute though, as he tripped Clough in the box and conceded a penalty, picking up a card for his trouble. Clough buried the penalty to give West Ham a lifeline.

We held them out comfortably though, and picked up another 3 points.

Wellington was the best player on the pitch for most of the game, though he gave away a silly penalty and probably missed out on the match ball because of it. Asensio and Chambers were excellent and Miguel also impressed after coming on for Dimarco. We still need to hope he’s okay though, as I’m not completely confident in the young Brazilian just yet.

POM: Calum Chambers (9.0, 0G, 1A)

Injury News...

Well that’s a major blow! Dimarco is gone for 3 months. He’s arguably our most important player, simply because his backup is the furthest from his standard out of any of our positions. Nishimura may have to play out of position a few times.

Bertin has been doing well on loan in the Championship, but will unfortunately miss the next two months.

18 year old Marcel Prins makes his debut for Holland. He will be a massive star for them for many years.

We began our qualifying campaign with a comfortable 2-0 victory over a much higher ranked Scotland side (15th vs 32nd), who never threatened us. Bahoui netted a brace and hit the underside of the bar late on in search of his hat trick.

Lithuania, meanwhile, set up in the most defensive formation I’ve ever seen! I’m amazed they found room for a striker to be honest. I’m not sure it made too much difference, as we missed a whole host of clear cut chances in the first half, before finally picking up our opener in the 41st minute. From there it was comfortable, though we continued to be profligate.

Injury News...

Gitschier picks up an injury on international duty.

Jansen, out on loan, will miss over two months

Wellington incredibly wins the Player of the Month Award, closely followed by Chambers. Amazing achievement for the youngster! Meanwhile, on-loan Muller is third in Young Player of the Month, and I can consider myself unlucky to miss out on Manager of the Month.

The recently injured Bertin wins another Young Player of the Month in the Championship.

English Premier League - Game 30 - Fulham FC (Home)

Gitschier misses this one having only just recovered from his injury. It’s something of an experimental lineup, with Nishimura given a chance at left back as a trial for our match against Chelsea in 4 days. It would be nice to pick up a more convincing win than our recent one goal victories.

In the 3rd minute Asensio somehow contrived to head across the face of goal after Doebel’s cross had left him with a gaping net!

Prins sent a shot inches wide in the 16th after being picked out in the middle of the box by Wellington.

Chambers glanced a header wide from Asensio’s 22nd minute free kick.

Two minutes later Asensio sent a close range volley wide after a brilliant chipped pass from Doebel.

In the 27th minute Chambers again escaped to meet an Asensio free kick, but Zoet pulled off an outrageous save to keep the scores level.

No less than 4 blocked shots followed from the subsequent corner, as Sindelar, Lovell and Wellington all had efforts charged down.

In the 33rd minute Asensio broke the deadlock, cutting inside and lashing the ball into the top left corner. Lovely strike!

In the 47th minute Chambers’ poor touch gave the ball to Mutô inside the box, but Dragowski bailed him out with an excellent save.

In the 58th minute Ward-Prowse found the diagonal run of Prins inside the box, and the youngster slotted inside the near post to double our lead!

Jurcik and Vietto replaced Laporte and Sindelar in the 69th minute.

Amrani came on for Asensio in the 72nd.

In the 74th minute Dawson blocked Jurcik’s volley on the line, before the centre back fired wide from his own rebound.

Doebel netted our third two minutes later with a darting run to beat the keeper to and volley home Chambers’ cross.

They pulled a goal back through an 84th minute corner, as Dragowski’s save from Dawson’s header clattered off Verdasca and fell to the feet of Austin for a tap in. Very unlucky.

The late goal was pretty annoying, but all in all, it was a good performance today. Good performances from the attackers and midfielders, along with Chambers, and Dragowski can consider himself highly unfortunate not to have kept a clean sheet. We still can’t get a striker on the scoresheet though, which is a real concern ahead of our top-of-the-table clash with Chelsea.

POM: Calum Chambers (9.0, 0G, 2A)

Hey Pat

Hey Pat, love the series! I've read it through in the past week and I must say you've done brilliantly. I'm new on the website and now that the Summer has started, I've thought of starting my own story with Malaga. Do you have any tips for a a up-and-comer on how I should write the story? Thanks and keep it up!

Hey Pat, love the series! I've read it through in the past week and I must say you've done brilliantly. I'm new on the website and now that the Summer has started, I've thought of starting my own story with Malaga. Do you have any tips for a a up-and-comer on how I should write the story? Thanks and keep it up!

Welcome to the site! Thank you for the kind words, it's always nice to hear that someone is enjoying reading :)

I'd definitely encourage you to start a story, and no doubt Malaga would be very interesting. I'd say write it in a way that appeals most to you personally, so that you know you would enjoy reading it. There are many different styles going around, and mine is by no means the best, but it's really down to what you personally like. Give it a go, I'll definitely read and be happy to give you advice if you'd like :)

English Premier League - Game 31 - Chelsea FC (Home)

A critical match in the title race as we face our closest, and only real challengers in Chelsea. They’ve drawn a couple of games recently which has allowed us to open up a bit of a gap. Lose today and the gap falls to 5 points, with Chelsea holding a game in hand. A win would see us open up an almost unassailable 11 point lead, despite their extra game. Home ground advantage means I expect nothing less than a win, even without one of our key players in Dimarco.

In the 6th minute Sindelar sent Gitschier on a weaving run through the defence. Courtois parried his shot, but Doebel was quickest to react and blasted the loose ball into the top corner!

In the 18th minute we had our second through the improbable source of Chambers! The right back picked up a cleared corner out on the right and dribbled along the edge of the box, before firing into the bottom right corner with his weaker left foot!

Two minutes later Asensio’s corner was headed off the underside of the bar by Laporte, and into the grateful arms of Courtois.

In the 36th minute the genius of Gitschier saw us almost certainly put the game to bed. Jurcik tackled Felipe Anderson and cleared the ball to the right flank, where it was picked up by the German. He skinned 3 players as he surged down the sideline, before turning back inside Barkley and cutting the ball back to Gasperoni, who squared the ball with his first touch to Wellington. The Brazilian rifled home from the edge of the box to bring the crowd to their feet!

Vietto replaced Sindelar in the 68th minute.

Prins was on for Wellington and Miguel for Chambers in the 74th, with Nishimura and Miguel switching flanks.

We dropped our clean sheet late in the game again though, as Christensen netted from a corner. He seems to do that against us far too often.

Nonetheless, it’s a result we can be delighted with, as we all but seal a third consecutive Premier League title. We do have seven matches left, but given our form it’s difficult to see Chelsea overcoming an 11 point deficit, even with a game in hand. Superb performances from Gitschier, Doebel, Wellington and Chambers saw us comfortably past the Londoners. Chambers actually put in his worst performance in a while, with a rating of 8.9, as opposed to his last three matches where he scored 9.0.

POM: Moritz Gitschier (9.0, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 32 - Sheffield Wednesday (Home)

I’m not expecting to have too much trouble today, and I’ve rotated most of the squad. We fact Celtic in the Champions League in a few days so many of the big names will be fresh for that fixture.

16 seconds into the match we found ourselves behind though, as an exceptional through ball from Wilson found the run of Berahino, who slotted past Dragowski. He split both CM’s and both CB’s with that pass, exceptional vision.

It only took us a minute to draw level though, and less than 90 seconds into the game, two goals had been scored! Prins provided the pass and Gitschier the sublime finish from a tight angle. Game on!

Dragowski met Wilson at his near post after a fine run from the striker in the 6th minute, and produced a quality save.

In the 12th minute Gitschier had his and our second with a lovely half-volley from Vietto’s square pass. His 50th goal for the club! Brilliant ball movement from the team, too!

Sheffield Wednesday came to play though, and less than a minute later the scores were level once again. Wilson was the finisher this time as Rodriguez collided with Süle as they both went to clear Aarons’ cross, and it fell to Wilson with an open net.

In the 23rd goal number 5 arrived, and it was our turn this time. Gitschier turned provider with a superb pass, and Vietto ended our lengthy streak of games without a striker scoring by dispatching it into the top right corner!

In the 28th minute it was back to profligacy though, as when Rodriguez lost the ball on the left wing, Forshaw attempted to pass inside to Maguire. Vietto got there first though, and hit it first time, straight at the keeper from 10 yards.

In the 58th minute Gitschier unlocked the defence again, setting up Vietto, who was denied by the keeper. Rodriguez hit the rebound into the side netting.

In the 62nd minute Gitschier produced a ridiculous piece of skill to leave three men standing, before feeding the ball through for Rodriguez. The Spaniard squared for Vietto to tap home his second. A milestone for him too - his 50th league goal!

Wellington and Amrani replaced Prins and Candreva in the 68th minute.

Jacobsen came on for Rodriguez in the 74th.

Sels produced a flying save to tip Wellington’s stoppage time effort over the bar after a clever cut back from Amrani.

A sublime attacking performance was countered by a poor defensive effort to produce an exciting match, and eventually the former overwhelmed the latter. Gitschier was just unstoppable, and Vietto demonstrated he’s not done yet, matching his team mate with a brace and an assist, though he didn’t have the same impact as my talisman, despite them both receiving the same match rating. No shame in that though!

POM: Moritz Gitschier (9.1, 2G, 1A)