Talk of Messi's genius is flawed

Just checked Surreal Football, it was one of their writers that wrote the piece for Soccernet (No surprise) they had something like 2500 comments from people - including death threats - for implying Messi was not good which if you understand it he wasn't doing at all.

People have started a petition to stop the guy who wrote it (Alex, broadsheet reject) from ever writing for ESPN again.

I can't believe so many people miss the point of the whole thing, here's a link with a link to the original article/petition anyway:

BAN THIS SICK FILTH | Surreal Football

Just checked Surreal Football, it was one of their writers that wrote the piece for Soccernet (No surprise) they had something like 2500 comments from people - including death threats - for implying Messi was not good which if you understand it he wasn't doing at all.

People have started a petition to stop the guy who wrote it (Alex, broadsheet reject) from ever writing for ESPN again.

I can't believe so many people miss the point of the whole thing, here's a link with a link to the original article/petition anyway:

BAN THIS SICK FILTH | Surreal Football

The only thing I've learnt from comments on pieces like this is that there are a **** of a lot of total idiots in the world.

I remember Michael *** (Zonal Marking) writing about his team of the season, with the caveat that he could only select one player from each team.

About 75 per cent of the comments were from total neanderthals who either didn't bother reading the caveat before the piece, or are too stupid to know what the words 'one player from each team' means. Every trip to the internet seems to lessen my faith in humanity a bit more XD

Great article, to be honest. It's subtly ironic and as Jamie. said, it can be provocative if you don't get the tone of the piece. The massive giveaway is the fact they mention Michael Owen as the example to compare Lionel Messi to, but there are plenty of other giveaways too.

For all those haters of Messi, you can't deny he has talent, skill and works hard for the team. Of course, he may not be the best defensive player or the most rounded player but he does what he does best - and needs to do. It is unfair to expect him to do more than he can do, really, if people are still criticising him despite his wonderful performances week in, week out for Barcelona...he can't really do any more. 136 goals in 192 league appearances for Barça is phenomenal (I got these figures of Wikipedia, by the way), considering that he is only still 24 years old and arguably just at his peak.

He can take free kicks, penalties and can cross competently, although I'm not saying he's a good crosser. It would be brilliant if we could do more, but no-one's perfect and Messi, despite his faults, is still the best player, at this current time, in the world - although that is just my honest and (hopefully) unbiased opinion. OK, maybe he's not the best player to ever grace the game, but haters are basically trying to find faults - many of them which aren't even there. He's just a phenomenal little player, who doesn't complain, doesn't get into the front pages for the wrong reasons and is basically a model professional.

Despite his wonderful talent, the article is right in underlining some of his faults - he's not the most rounded player ever, as *Paul* has said, but he's good at what he does and that's good enough. He may be a bit poor on his right foot, and maybe isn't the tallest; but who cares when he can do so much more with his left foot with the ball? Every player has faults, just good players have less and I definitely think Messi comes under the good players category.

Is he as good as Diego Maradona, one of the greats of the game? Maybe, maybe not, but you shouldn't judge him until the end of his career in my opinion because that would just be unfair. And plus, maybe he doesn't just want to be another Maradona, and just wants to be his own unique player. I think it's unfair to compare players to other players like this, it's heaping tons of pressure on the lad. But fair play to him, he's not affected by all this media hype and carries on being a professional and plays to the best of his ability.

nice article tbh :)

all things come to an end, but barca for the last 3 years have been significant in Football (and before too ) [though i hate them cuz they dive and off of course that red card to RVP ;(]

maybe the end wont be this season (man, i hope its not , lol) , but come some day

but still Messi is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: