I have the same problem, i started with Arsenal and made some tests in other teams.
I like the fact that the team talks are more complex, but i can't find a logic behind them. I haven't had one postive reaction in the 10 games i've played!

The biggest problem I have now is that experienced players react completely differently to young players and then you'll get an odd ball who just gets angered when no else does.

Eucrid is right. Older more experienced players seem less likely to react to general praise (unless its warrented in a*HUGE* win, ie: 4-0 over rivals), while younger less experienced players will react more postively more of the time (but not all) to your praise. I tend to listen to my assistant coach for motivating (pat rice), and he more or less has proven to be on the ball when telling me what to do, although I tend to stray somewhat and still achieve the same outcome.

Basically, don't be afraid to tell them they suck and they need to get the lead out if they're not playing upto snuff. I always give praise for a win, unless they didn't dominate a match like they should have (we need to be better against these teams works the best, while being more aggressive and negative for losses against lesser teams is better). Half-time talks are a mixed bag really, but the same rules apply.

Does anyone have a guide for what to say in certain scenarios? There is one on footballmanagerstory but its for the older patches.

Also if I want to assign teamtalks to my assistant what attributes should he have? I'm guessing excellent motivation and man management. Any others?

I find team talks ridiculous on the new patch. I've just beaten Man Utd in my first league match of my new save, that was a brilliant result and as a player, i'd be sitting there wanting some praise for chasing my balls off for 90 minutes.
I praised my players, telling them that they pulled off a fantastic, unexpected result and they switch off, it just makes no sense.
I'm glad they're harder but it's pretty ridiculous.

im having the same problem, its a absoute joke , i even tried as a internatianl footballer to see if it differerd on the rep you have, but the fact is that if your players cant react to you, its pointless playing the game, i cant get my point across, thus why my chelsea team is really suffering, as i dont save my games or use FMRTE i don cheat so its virtually impoosible, since the new patch i cannot seem to score either fed up of getting 20+ shots at goal with a great team then getting beaten 1-0 with 5 shots on goal or less team, i dont mind losing like that but how can you correct that if you cant talk to your plaayers, im really annoyed about this,

Well, I'm happy to say I'm not having problems. I'm doing the team talks as a manager with automatic experience, first job in charge is with Swansea City, and I'm getting a positive reaction from both overall team talks, and the individual ones. No probs at all.

it seems ppl are 50/50 on the matter, are you running the 12.1.1 patch from a new game, or did you patch during a game, i really wanna get to the bottom of this, i also wonder too i have another game of a carshalton athletic which my players respond perfectly to me, but as i have steam i cant tell if i started the game after the new patch. also i know sum ppl may think ahh this guy just dont know how to play, or think im doing summit wrong, but i can garentee there difinately is bug sumwer and you will know 100% if it happens to you, my only problem is now is do i continue to play, make my assistant to take team talks, till new patch, or by then the transfers will be done so might as well wait till then and start a new ??

more i think of this then basically, if what ppl are saying is true that older players vs younger players now react differently. then ( overall team talk ) should now be scrapped as you cannot use it, because everyone reacts differently. im sorry but its going to far now, and maybe SI are going to in depth in this game, and pl\ying the game is practically liek having a 2nd job, im sorry but coming from a footballing background if my manager for my sunday league teams tells us we played well, were all happy, being 17 or 37,

Since the patch Wayne Rooney, who is 32 now in game, hasn't reacted positively to one single team talk! He's breaking my balls.

it seems ppl are 50/50 on the matter, are you running the 12.1.1 patch from a new game, or did you patch during a game, i really wanna get to the bottom of this, i also wonder too i have another game of a carshalton athletic which my players respond perfectly to me, but as i have steam i cant tell if i started the game after the new patch. also i know sum ppl may think ahh this guy just dont know how to play, or think im doing summit wrong, but i can garentee there difinately is bug sumwer and you will know 100% if it happens to you, my only problem is now is do i continue to play, make my assistant to take team talks, till new patch, or by then the transfers will be done so might as well wait till then and start a new ??

brand new save after applying patch

Started a new save with Arsenal, first season team had mixed results in terms of team-talks. They were rather stoic but did respond to a solid boot to the **** and general praise for decisive wins. Now more than halfway into my second season leading the EPL by 5 points my team has been eating up my words the entire way. I tell them I want them to win, they all get fired up (minus 1 or 2) and motivated, I tell them they were poor in winning an away match and they get fired up and focused. Good win? Praise? You bet, they all respond positively. One small cavet though, the general age of my team is 24yrs old.

I still continue to refer to Wolfsong's previous guide for team talks and it continue to working for me. I think we have not to worry about "Angered" or indifferent reaction: usually a personal talk to specific player can raise his morale.
Also I have noticed that often an angered player, if has 7.0 or more, he's more productive in the second half.

TBH I find the teamtalks have gone from one extreme to the other they were to easy before the patch but now there is no consistancy to them
Take for example today I (Newcastle) beat Man Utd 3-1 everyone has a 7+ rating so I passionately praise the team by saying thats was a good result for us
All the team have a negative response either not listening or lose focus
A few games later ,
I beat Arsenal 3-1 again at home all players 7+ rating everyone has a positive response except the 2 players with a 8.6 rating (Demba Ba and Cabaye) who are demotivated
I always start with automatic experience as my reputation ,
The teamtalks are way to random and frustrating in there effect now

Geordie, I think that it's more important the behaviour of players in the half time, after a team talk. Players' reaction depends mainly from two factors: characters and match performance. A professional player with a 7.0+ at half time rarely need an encouragement or a high praise to continue the good performance and it's impossible to predict a suitable reaction. Then, the single talks it's used for rectifying bad reactions...

I must say I am struggling with team talks in the new patch! rarely get a good reaction, but also, rarely good a bad one! tried everything :)

It's all to do with reputation i think. After winning a few trophies in my saves I seem to get much better responses :)

Im having that same problem with the new patch :/ im playing as arsenal and alex song and theo walcott either dont look interested or looked switched off. has anyone found a solution to this yet?